PDA

View Full Version : duke recruits on tv tonight

strawbs
02-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Just posted this over on TDD, and i didn't see it anywhere here either.

Christ School (marshall plumlee) is playing Oak Hill (quinn cook) on espn2 tonight at 630. Game is at CIS.

erbeard
02-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Its actually 730

strawbs
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
i live in iowa so the game does start at 630 for me. I forget about you eastcoasters being an hour ahead of me.

Devilsfan
02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Cook can play. What's the old adage "two's company, three's a crowd"?

mr. synellinden
02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Cook can play. What's the old adage "two's company, three's a crowd"?

Love his leadership qualities and his attitude on the court. You can see he relishes being in that role and enjoyes being a great teammate.

Based on one half, he looks like he has a lot of "Duke" qualities - not surprising that we went after him and didn't shift gears when Kabongo came calling.

devilsadvocate85
02-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Plumlee is doing a decent job, but Christ School is outclassed in this matchup.

devilsadvocate85
02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Love his leadership qualities and his attitude on the court. You can see he relishes being in that role and enjoyes being a great teammate.

Based on one half, he looks like he has a lot of "Duke" qualities - not surprising that we went after him and didn't shift gears when Kabongo came calling.

What may not be apparent on TV, in my opinion is a lot of jawing and trash talking with#2 from Christ School.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
They just said there is talk that MP3 might red shirt next year? So much for all 3 playing at the same time if he does.

lotusland
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
What may not be apparent on TV, in my opinion is a lot of jawing and trash talking with#2 from Christ School.

A little too much hot-dogging too both dribbling and passing.

slower
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM

needs an attitude adjustment. He's looking pretty sulky and surly out there, not at ALL pleasant to watch his facial expressions.

FireOgilvie
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I was disappointed by both Cook and Plumlee tonight. I think redshirting would be a good move for Plumlee; he needs to gain a lot of weight at the minimum before he will be able to contribute. Cook is talented, but he doesn't give very much effort on defense and he makes a lot of poor decisions on offense (and threw the ball straight out of bounds 4 or so times). I am also not that impressed by Cook's ability to beat his man off the dribble or his quickness. Cook has a tendency to make every shot a fade-away. Both guys have a lot of work to do.

lotusland
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
needs an attitude adjustment. He's looking pretty sulky and surly out there, not at ALL pleasant to watch his facial expressions.

Yeah he was the best player on the floor and they had a big lead and all but you'd like to see Duke guys just play hard and act like they've made plays and won games before and they expect to do it again.

Saratoga2
02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Quinn Cook

These are young kids playing on national TV and in his case in front of his coach to be and his mentor in Nolan. Yes, he did a little too much dribbling and was trying to create plays off of no look passes. Yes he let it bother him.

On the other hand, I also see a kid who is very quick, has a marvelous handle and keeps his head up. He can pass very well and sees the floor and can also score a lot of points. With his skills, I see him progressing well as he cuts back on the showboat and concentrates on what he does exceptionally well.

Marshall Plumlee

Clearly he is around 7 feet, has reasonably good athleticism and needs to put on weight and gain strength. He is quite mobile and has more comfort under the basket than either of his brothers, He rebounds with both hands, something Miles has been learning to do. I thought he lacked aggressiveness on the boards, but when he was in position he was able to secure it and make a nice outlet pass. I wouldn't think he should red shirt as he will be a fourth inside player if Mason stays. Bigs don't typically play as many minutes, so there could be time for all, particularly if Josh could olay some 3. Marshall should be able to put on 15 pounds by Nov 1st, so he would be more competitive at the college level.

Both players can help us next year and we also have AR and GB coming. Could get crowded if Kyrie stays and Mason stays.

lotusland
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Quinn Cook

These are young kids playing on national TV and in his case in front of his coach to be and his mentor in Nolan. Yes, he did a little too much dribbling and was trying to create plays off of no look passes. Yes he let it bother him.

On the other hand, I also see a kid who is very quick, has a marvelous handle and keeps his head up. He can pass very well and sees the floor and can also score a lot of points. With his skills, I see him progressing well as he cuts back on the showboat and concentrates on what he does exceptionally well.

Marshall Plumlee

Clearly he is around 7 feet, has reasonably good athleticism and needs to put on weight and gain strength. He is quite mobile and has more comfort under the basket than either of his brothers, He rebounds with both hands, something Miles has been learning to do. I thought he lacked aggressiveness on the boards, but when he was in position he was able to secure it and make a nice outlet pass. I wouldn't think he should red shirt as he will be a fourth inside player if Mason stays. Bigs don't typically play as many minutes, so there could be time for all, particularly if Josh could olay some 3. Marshall should be able to put on 15 pounds by Nov 1st, so he would be more competitive at the college level.

Both players can help us next year and we also have AR and GB coming. Could get crowded if Kyrie stays and Mason stays.

MP1, MP2, Ryan, Josh, MP3 = 5.

I agree that Quinn seemed quicker than I had been led to believe. He looked a good bit quicker than Marshall(UNC) and comparable to Tyler if not quicker. Definitely not Kyrie quick though.

OZ
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Actually, I thought it was difficult to judge how well Marshall could play from his post position. His defense wasn't bad and he has the Plumlee knack for rebounding. However, when they threw him the ball(which was rare), he seemed a bit indecisive as what to do.
The announcers often mentioned his growth spurts and his adjustment with his body. I don't know what Coach K will do, but, a redshirt year would really benefit him. He needs size, strength and some serious offensive coaching. I also understood the announcers to say that Marshall had mentioned the redshirt. They all kept talking about how good he would be in "five" years at Duke. We'll see.
Quinn will be fine with the attitude adjustment that K and college ball are going to bring him. I thought his scowl at times was the result of his frustration with himself. He could be next year's TT.

DukieTiger
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I highly doubt that Quinn has any attitude issues. Playing in Cameron, in front of K/Nolan/Kyrie, etc, on national TV and on his Dad's birthday- he probably put a bit of pressure on himself which impacted his on-court demeanor, along with the trash-talking he got pulled into.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I am fairly confident that K would not have recruited them if they didn't fit the Duke attitude and system.

I remember Bobby Hurley pouting like @#$% when he was a frosh -- and his jersey is rightly hanging in the rafters.

Woe be to all if we were judged by our countenance when we were 17. . . .

Welcome, guys, can't wait to see you suit up!!!!

Newton_14
02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I am fairly confident that K would not have recruited them if they didn't fit the Duke attitude and system.

I remember Bobby Hurley pouting like @#$% when he was a frosh -- and his jersey is rightly hanging in the rafters.

Woe be to all if we were judged by our countenance when we were 17. . . .

Welcome, guys, can't wait to see you suit up!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly OPK. I only saw one negative with Cook... Please lose the headband! Ugh.

Other than that I liked what I saw from Quinn. He is going to be a really good PG for Duke. MP3 just needs bulk and experience. Glad to have both on the list of future Blue Devils.

gam7
02-12-2011, 12:34 AM
They just said there is talk that MP3 might red shirt next year? So much for all 3 playing at the same time if he does.

MP3 could play a few games and still redshirt. It would be a shame to have all three on the roster but never on the floor concurrently.

dcar1985
02-12-2011, 01:19 AM
No info on how Mike G looked? why does it seem like he's the forgotten recruit? I love his game and I think he's gonna be a big part of Dukes future, definitely more of an impact then Marshall (no offense to him) but the level of excitement for him coming in seems to be at a minimum, I heard he also didnt get much love from the crazies at CTC either, whats up with that?

gam7
02-12-2011, 01:33 AM
No info on how Mike G looked? why does it seem like he's the forgotten recruit? I love his game and I think he's gonna be a big part of Dukes future, definitely more of an impact then Marshall (no offense to him) but the level of excitement for him coming in seems to be at a minimum, I heard he also didnt get much love from the crazies at CTC either, whats up with that?

I agree with your point generally about the lack of love for Mike, but tonight no one is talking about him because his game wasn't televised nationally. Airowe tweeted some updates from Mike's game and it looked as though he was his usual silent-assassin self. He had 17 points about midway through the 4th quarter but his team was losing pretty big.

GODUKEGO
02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Cook 26 points and 7 assists and Plumlee 9 points, 10 boards and 4 blocks.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story_sports/11369380/article-Recruits-put-on-a-show?instance=main_article

dukelifer
02-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Cook 26 points and 7 assists and Plumlee 9 points, 10 boards and 4 blocks.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story_sports/11369380/article-Recruits-put-on-a-show?instance=main_article

The two players basically lived up to their scouting reports. Cook is dynamic but you have you question his decision making- MP3 has a lot of raw skills but he is not strong enough and struggles to get position. MP3 looks to have a better natural stroke from the line than MP2. Cook has a great motor and looks to be a natural leader.

WVDUKEFAN
02-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Although it wasn't a Duke style motion offense type ball game, for being 7-0, Plumlee didn't show me a lot. Mr. Cook on the other hand, demonstrated we will have another penetrating type point guard. I know Coach K and the boys know more about talent than me, but I just don't see Mr. Plumlee doing much.

GODUKEGO
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
The two players basically lived up to their scouting reports. Cook is dynamic but you have you question his decision making- MP3 has a lot of raw skills but he is not strong enough and struggles to get position. MP3 looks to have a better natural stroke from the line than MP2. Cook has a great motor and looks to be a natural leader.

I agree 100% with your assessment. Wondering if Cook will ditch the headband when at Duke or is he already looking for a royal blue one!!!

Saratoga2
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Kind of reminds me of how Greg Paulus played at times. Trying to make the stupendous pass instead of the safe and effective pass. With coaching, I think he will turn that around and be a very valuable player for Duke.

I was thinking that Duke might have Irving and Rivers on the team together next year. When was the last time Duke or anyone else had two players who would likely be in the top 5 in the class and future NBA stars? Maybe Kentucky? Add to that Cook, who I believe is also going to play point guard in the NBA and Mason who also has a shot to play power forward and you have a potentially great team next year. The qwuestion is who will stay and play next year? As others have pointed out, there is a potential log jam at guard and if Hairston can only play the 4 or 5, we have a log jam there also.

TaiAdmiral
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
For all that didn't watch/DVR tonight's Oak Hill-Christ School game, here are some courtside highlights of two of our 2011 guys in action. Cook is a great passer, and Marshall will improve with some time in the weight room. He looked real athletic tonight against an athletic OHA front line. Unfortunately, we had to head out before Mike G's game.

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2011/02/12/behold-the-future/

Dev11
02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

I was at Mike's game, but it harder to glean info about his abilities because on his team, he is either the tallest or second tallest man on the court at all times, so he was forced into the post by Our Savior's taller front line.

From what I could tell, Mike made some nice offensive moves, including a couple fade-aways and an aggressive drive to the basket that drew a hard foul to stop it from being a big dunk. He appears to be really strong and I can see him putting on really good weight this summer working out with his new friends in Durham. There were some small stretches where he disappeared on offense, but never more than 2 or 3 possessions. As for defense, he lapses between playing aggressively and loosening up, but I think that attitude gets hammered home pretty early at Duke.

From the evening, I came away with the most positive impression of Mike among the 3 future Devils. Quinn was always looking for the highlights and needs a lot of work on defense (he tried for a lot of behind-the-back steals that resulted in open space for the Christ School point guard), while Marshall (though it may not be his fault) is a non-factor in Christ School's offense.

My friend who was at the game with me said he saw some Dahntay Jones in Mike. I think I saw a taller Gerald Henderson, with a little less dunk-facing. I think the conclusion on him is that he is very athletic, and hopefully he will figure out how to exploit that in the ACC. He shouldn't totally disappear in next year's lineup, I think, but don't trust me, because I saw Josh Hairston last year and said he looked like a quality big who could make an immediate impact. (OK, maybe that was premature, because he was playing against a vastly inferior DC area team with nobody his size). Not that I don't like Josh, he just didn't live up to my unreasonable expectations.

My conclusion: Mike is going to be an effective Blue Devil, and when Alex Murphy arrives the year after, that competition at the 3 will be awesome.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I was at a concert so I didn't see the game, but is anyone else a little bit worried about Marshall and what he'll bring to this team? I don't mean to be negative, but its just a little worriesome that a 7'0 senior in high school averages no more that 12pts a game. Does he have a skillset that I don't know of outside of being the tallest player on the court? He seems like a great kid (I met him briefly at the CBE Classic in Nov) with a lot of heart, I was just hoping for a more polished big man to come in and help out right away and its becoming more apparent that probably won't happen with Marshall.

WVDUKEFAN
02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I totally agree with the above post. I just don't see a lot.

DukieTiger
02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Seems like some people have false expectations about Marshall. He isn't an instant impact big man (there were very few of them in the 2011 class- hence MP3 being a McD's AA) but he DEFINITELY has some workable attributes to say the least:

-Size: His frame is HUGE (bigger than his brothers) and he will be able to pack on pounds over time and has the potential to be a real beast in the paint

-Motor: Every report I've read about Marshall says he has an outstanding motor. I've heard he is a tireless worker, and he seems to have an excellent attitude.

-Athleticism: While he might not have the fluidity of his brothers yet (aka he's still learning how to move with all that size) keep in mind that he comes from the same stock and that his brothers were probably 19 years old the first time you saw them, whereas Marshall is 17 or 18. His bro's had an extra year of high school to fill out. But he is infinitely lighter on his feet than other 7-footers we know and love (Zoooooubs.) Runs the floor well, and that seems to be an attribute Duke is valuing in its bigs more and more of late.

-Skills: I would say he has better ball skills than his brothers. His touch seemed softer, he has fairly soft hands, he seemed more of an instinctive shot blocker (versus Mason "can't stay on his feet" Plum2) and his shot looks like it's pretty decent. Watching him shoot free throws- he could probably donate some of the arc he gets on his shot to Mason- of his line-drive, 40% free throw shooting fame. Also, everything I read about Marshall after the game last night was that he did a nice job of getting position in the low block- something that his brothers still aren't great at.

Big men develop at different speeds, and just because one guy doesn't look like he'll make an impact immediately doesn't mean he's a lost cause or a waste of a scholarship. I would have thought that Duke fans would learn that lesson after last season.

Troublemaker
02-12-2011, 11:27 PM
I was disappointed by both Cook and Plumlee tonight. Cook is talented, but he doesn't give very much effort on defense and he makes a lot of poor decisions on offense (and threw the ball straight out of bounds 4 or so times). I am also not that impressed by Cook's ability to beat his man off the dribble or his quickness. Cook has a tendency to make every shot a fade-away.

I have to admit. After seeing Quinn in a couple of games this season, I'm concerned about how well he'll translate to college. The physical skills just might not be there.

However, Quinn should get the benefit of the doubt at this point since Coach K recruited him. Coach K has been right much more than he's been wrong, so chances are, there is something about Quinn that you and I are missing.

There's also the possibility that he's not at 100% capacity following the injury he suffered earlier in the season.

Regardless, I'm having a fun time following this Duke basketball season, and I'll worry about Quinn next season.

JohnGalt
02-13-2011, 07:16 AM
There's also the possibility that he's not at 100% capacity following the injury he suffered earlier in the season.

Regardless, I'm having a fun time following this Duke basketball season, and I'll worry about Quinn next season.

One of the Heads...maybe Telep or Daniels...mentioned this relatively recently (1-2 months ago?), specifically that it appeared Cook had lost a bit of explosiveness after the MCL (?) strain.

Can anyone comment on that? Does it appear he's lost a step?

Not that I'm any less excited...just curious to know.