PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Miami II Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
It's been a great week, with wins over two nearby rivals and two wonderful recruiting commitments, but I think it's time to focus on our next opponent, Miami.

Miami gave us a tough game in Durham, and their big man, Reggie Johnson, was effective when in the game, but had foul trouble.

The dork polls make Duke about a 10 point favorite, but I'm expecting a tough game, with it being on the road, and the possibility of a post-UNC letdown. Also, Miami's given us tough games the last few matchups. Finally, Miami's on a three game win streak, albeit against some of the weaker teams in the ACC.

Discuss.

Saratoga2
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Besides the big man, they have two quality guards. No doubt they are better than last time and are at home. Would like to see Ryan, Andre and Smith all have good games at the same time.

rthomas
02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Could be a trap game.

Troublemaker
02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
About a month ago, I was really worried about this game when looking over the schedule. Miami had played us tough in Cameron and they have some weapons that can hurt us. Two quick scoring guards and of course the big guy with soft hands Reggie Johnson.

But, after that stirring second half comeback against Carolina, I think Duke is riding high and coming together as a team right now. I think our boys are a better team post-Carolina and will play at a higher level for the rest of the season, and I think they go down to Miami and handle business. I really think that Carolina game will be looked back upon as a turning point for the '10-'11 season. I'm feeling the "Seth Curry is this season's Zoubek" vibe. (Hopefully I haven't jinxed it by talking about it.)

Kedsy
02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
About a month ago, I was really worried about this game when looking over the schedule. Miami had played us tough in Cameron and they have some weapons that can hurt us. Two quick scoring guards and of course the big guy with soft hands Reggie Johnson.

But, after that stirring second half comeback against Carolina, I think Duke is riding high and coming together as a team right now. I think our boys are a better team post-Carolina and will play at a higher level for the rest of the season, and I think they go down to Miami and handle business. I really think that Carolina game will be looked back upon as a turning point for the '10-'11 season. I'm feeling the "Seth Curry is this season's Zoubek" vibe. (Hopefully I haven't jinxed it by talking about it.)

I agree completely with every word of this post (except the word "jinxed" ;)) This was the game I circled at the beginning of the season. But I do feel a little differently about it now. It won't be easy, because despite their record Miami is a good team, but if the team learns the lesson of the UNC tale of two halves, we should be tough to beat the rest of the way.

loran16
02-11-2011, 11:48 AM
In a game that was never a blowout, AT HOME, Duke lost the 2nd half. Why? Because Johnson played basically the entire period.

When he's on the floor, Johnson is the best big man in the ACC. Better than Williams, Zeller, or Henson (He can make free throws). Duke can handle good guards, and Scott and co. are really nothing Duke hasn't seen before. But Johnson is a BEAST and will get them second chance opportunities.

Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents. But they pose a difficult challenge, one which Duke has had quite a bit of trouble with this year.

SCMatt33
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone else think its a bit odd that out of the 5 home-and-home series Duke has this year, only one (NC State) had the second game in Cameron. UNC, MD, UVA, and Miami all have the second game on the road. I've never really paid attention before. Has this happened often, or just a strange little quirk for this year.

MChambers
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
In a game that was never a blowout, AT HOME, Duke lost the 2nd half. Why? Because Johnson played basically the entire period.

When he's on the floor, Johnson is the best big man in the ACC. Better than Williams, Zeller, or Henson (He can make free throws). Duke can handle good guards, and Scott and co. are really nothing Duke hasn't seen before. But Johnson is a BEAST and will get them second chance opportunities.
This would be a particularly good game for MP1 and MP2 to go strong to the basket and draw fouls, even if they miss the free throws. Also important to stay home on Johnson on defense, I would think, but maybe the coaches think otherwise.

On the Dan Patrick show, Coach K said Duke "pulled in" its defense against UNC in the second half, which is something some of us have been thinking might be needed, especially after St. Johns. This might be another game to do that, given the skills of Miami's guards.

moonpie23
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Could be a trap game.

they ALL are now...

dukelifer
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents. But they pose a difficult challenge, one which Duke has had quite a bit of trouble with this year.

Duke needs to get him in foul trouble- so I expect a lot of trying to get the ball inside - at least early. Miami has played 8 games in a row that were decided by 4 or less points. So they are used to fights. Duke needs to shoot well- but that is easier said than done. Dawkins had a good game last time out- so either he or Curry need to be an important part of the O. Should be a good game.

superdave
02-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Duke needs to get him in foul trouble- so I expect a lot of trying to get the ball inside - at least early. Miami has played 8 games in a row that were decided by 4 or less points. So they are used to fights. Duke needs to shoot well- but that is easier said than done. Dawkins had a good game last time out- so either he or Curry need to be an important part of the O. Should be a good game.

We need Miles Plumlee (our best post defender) to play some great D on Johnson and Ryan Kelly to shoot the ball well so we can spread things out and leave the paint open and go after Johnson to get him in foul trouble. I'd like to see Johnson try to guard Mason one on one.

CLW
02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Could be a trap game.

Agree. This game scares me as it is just set up so... nicely for an emotional let down and "The U" is more than capable of pulling off an upset and another court storming. Hopefully, the team regains its focus and puts forth the necessary effort to bring home another W.

Jeff Frosh
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
The very best thing about Miami joining the ACC is that I can now make the short drive across the Everglades to see us play. Not very tough to get tickets, and usually about a 20% Duke crowd. It does not feel like an ACC venue; you can actually talk to the person next to you! Anyone else going? I will be in Section 112, Row T.

jv001
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM

I look for Duke to begin peaking just like last year. We've had room to grow this season and I like what I see from Seth, Miles, Mason, Ryan and Tyler. Now is the time for Andre to pick it up. He doesn't have to score 20ppg, but just hit the open jumpers, play defense and not turn it over. And I too feel that Seth may be this year's Zoubs. Add in the possibility of Kyrie coming back by ACCT time and we have the ability to peak just like last year. Go Duke!

ndkjr70
02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
The very best thing about Miami joining the ACC is that I can now make the short drive across the Everglades to see us play. Not very tough to get tickets, and usually about a 20% Duke crowd. It does not feel like an ACC venue; you can actually talk to the person next to you! Anyone else going? I will be in Section 112, Row T.

I'll be in the student section, wearing a black no-writing tee shirt. That way, I won't get beat up.

Olympic Fan
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Miami hasn't been great at home at all...they've scored as many points as their opponents.

There is a reason why Miami has demonstrated little homecourt advantage, but also why that won't apply for the Duke game.

Check out their attendance figures -- for the most part, nobody goes to their games. It's hard to get much of a boost when you play in front of a half-empty crowd.

But that's the burden of being Duke -- the opposing fans will be out in force when the Devils come to town. They drew under 4800 (announced!) for the last two home games ... they'll draw 7,000-plus (full capacity) for this one.

Jeff Frosh
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
There is a reason why Miami has demonstrated little homecourt advantage, but also why that won't apply for the Duke game.

Check out their attendance figures -- for the most part, nobody goes to their games. It's hard to get much of a boost when you play in front of a half-empty crowd.

But that's the burden of being Duke -- the opposing fans will be out in force when the Devils come to town. They drew under 4800 (announced!) for the last two home games ... they'll draw 7,000-plus (full capacity) for this one.

Not just opposing fans!!! :o

loran16
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

I didn't say they don't show a home court advantage. I said they played not well at home. There's a difference there...Miami does play better at home than on the road, and opponents play worse @ Miami than at home (See http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24212-ACC-Efficiency-Rankings-(Week-5)-Tobacco-Road-on-top...and-on-bottom.&p=472265#post472265).

However, while they're a bad team on the road, they're not a good team at home. That's what I was saying.

EDIT: Contrast FSU who is a beast at home...but terrible on the road.

Chris Randolph
02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Glad to see this topic posted. Too much loathing over the UNC win. It was a win, just that.....

This is the game of the season for Miami. Simply they are always close to the bubble, always looking for a signature win, at home against Duke. Should be a good game

I think this game is a great test of our focus. Such a big win on Wednesday, can the young pups on this team put it behind them, stop listening to all the praise and be ready for the Canes

gumbomoop
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
This is the game of the season for Miami. Simply they are always close to the bubble, always looking for a signature win, at home against Duke.

Miami has had a very interesting ACC season. Their record is lousy, but their only "bad" looking [i.e., double-digit] loss was at Cameron, and I doubt most posters would say Duke handled them with no problem.

Of their last 8 ACC games, they've lost 4 - by a total of 11 points - and won 4 - by a total of 6 points. They don't get blown out, but can't shake their opponent, either.

Most important, they didn't give up when they lost 4 straight [again, by the agonizing total of 11 points]. When I looked at their schedule back then, I saw they had a good chance to be on a 3-win uptick by the time Duke came to town. Sure enough, they've gone from 1-6 to 4-6. I'd bet that has led Frank Haith to tell his team they can still make the NCAAT, if they get to 9-7, including a win over Duke, and win some games in the ACCT.

Now maybe the truth is they have to get to 10-6 and/or win the ACCT, but under any circumstances they know they must beat Duke, and believe they can. They believe they're as good as Duke. They have 4 legit 3-bombers, plus Reggie down low. Good FT-shooting %. They are likely to be very dangerous.

One more thing: one could argue that one play at the end of their game with UNC 2 weeks ago was a turning point for both teams. Some of you will remember it. Game tied, UNC working the clock for the last shot, Marshall got up in the air and threw a semi-desperation pass to Barnes. A Miami defender saw Marshall in trouble, was about to step in to intercept the pass to streak downcourt to an open last second layup.... but slipped. The pass lofted just over his desperate fingertips, into Barnes' hands, for a smooth, winning 3.

BlueHeaven
02-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Miami always plays us tough. I have absolutely nothing of substance to add to this except that I'm taking my Dad, he's thought of a great sign, and we're totally psyched. I haven't seen them play in person since 09-10 season at UM. I'm giddy with anticipation.

pfrduke
02-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Glad to see this topic posted. Too much loathing over the UNC win. It was a win, just that.....

To quote Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

JohnGalt
02-12-2011, 05:38 AM

This is the game of the season for Miami. Simply they are always close to the bubble, always looking for a signature win, at home against Duke. Should be a good game

I think this game is a great test of our focus. Such a big win on Wednesday, can the young pups on this team put it behind them, stop listening to all the praise and be ready for the Canes

To quote Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Well, to be fair, there was plenty of loathing present, as well. We all command them to Go to Hell, after all. And we've even created a special character for said phrase...

Hopefully on Sunday evening we'll find Coral Gables struck with plenty of fear to go along with that loathing. Sorry, H.S.T....I know I butchered it....

Saratoga2
02-12-2011, 08:43 AM

He is a big guy and we need to make him work and possibly foul. Let our big guys get involved a lot early, even if we are only in a position to stay even. Without Johnson, they are not all that competitive.

Saratoga2
02-12-2011, 08:56 AM
We need Miles Plumlee (our best post defender) to play some great D on Johnson and Ryan Kelly to shoot the ball well so we can spread things out and leave the paint open and go after Johnson to get him in foul trouble. I'd like to see Johnson try to guard Mason one on one. Miles is probably our strongest post defender and we will need all our guys to keep the pressure on Johnson, but I don't see Miles as our best post defender.

What I see is that he is slow getting back, which leaves the offensive player a chance to establish position. I see that he overplays and takes himself out of position. I also see that while he gets to defensive rebounds, he hasn't got the hand eye co-ordination to catch and hold in traffic, getting stripped far to often.

I think Ryan is smarter inside and takes charges, block shots, etc. He doesn't have the hops to be a leading rebounding. Mason on the other hand is a rebounding machine out there. Mason is out of position quite often though. I would rate Ryan #1, Mason #2 and Miles #3 for their defense, although all will be important on Sunday.

Bob Green
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
We need Miles Plumlee (our best post defender) to play some great D on Johnson....

I would rate Ryan #1, Mason #2 and Miles #3 for their defense, although all will be important on Sunday.

I agree with superdave. Miles Plumlee is our best post defender. Ryan Kelly has the best offensive skills and Mason Plumlee is best at rebounding, but Miles Plumlee is the best defender. He rotates to cut off the baseline and steps up to prevent penetration. When it appears he gets burnt due to being out of position reality is one of his teammates did not properly rotate to provide help.

We will definitely need all three to play strong tomorrow in Coral Gables. In the game at Cameron, the three combined for 16 points, 20 rebounds and eight blocked shots.

cptnflash
02-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Could be a trap game.

I don't think there's any such thing as a trap game at this point, given that we have no margin for error in terms of the ACC standings or the drive for a #1 seed in the tournament. Until UNC loses another game and the teams ahead of us for the NCAA #1 line lose a game or two, every game is must win.

DukieInBrasil
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Miles is probably our strongest post defender and we will need all our guys to keep the pressure on Johnson, but I don't see Miles as our best post defender.
What I see is that he is slow getting back, which leaves the offensive player a chance to establish position. I see that he overplays and takes himself out of position. I also see that while he gets to defensive rebounds, he hasn't got the hand eye co-ordination to catch and hold in traffic, getting stripped far to often.
I think Ryan is smarter inside and takes charges, block shots, etc. He doesn't have the hops to be a leading rebounder (sic). Mason on the other hand is a rebounding machine out there. Mason is out of position quite often though. I would rate Ryan #1, Mason #2 and Miles #3 for their defense, although all will be important on Sunday.
Miles is a phenomenal jumper, state champion high-jumper after all. I agree about his overplay and trying to get steals and therefore being out of position. But where he is lacking defensively is not in his jumping abilities.

Bob Green
02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Miles is a phenomenal jumper, state champion high-jumper after all. I agree about his overplay and trying to get steals and therefore being out of position. But where he is lacking defensively is not in his jumping abilities.

Saratoga2 was stating Ryan Kelly doesn't have hops. At least that's the way I interpret his post.

gumbomoop
02-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone else think its a bit odd that out of the 5 home-and-home series Duke has this year, only one (NC State) had the second game in Cameron. UNC, MD, UVA, and Miami all have the second game on the road. I've never really paid attention before. Has this happened often, or just a strange little quirk for this year.

The last 2 seasons, Duke has had 3 "second games" away, 2 at home. This year's 4/1 is a bit more irritating. I do worry a bit about "revenge" games. We'll see if there's any possible impact on UNC today and Duke tomorrow. Heaven knows, both Clemson and Miami think they can win.

NSDukeFan
02-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Miles is probably our strongest post defender and we will need all our guys to keep the pressure on Johnson, but I don't see Miles as our best post defender.

I think Ryan is smarter inside and takes charges, block shots, etc. He doesn't have the hops to be a leading rebounding. Mason on the other hand is a rebounding machine out there. Mason is out of position quite often though. I would rate Ryan #1, Mason #2 and Miles #3 for their defense, although all will be important on Sunday.

Saratoga2 was stating Ryan Kelly doesn't have hops. At least that's the way I interpret his post.

Of course jumping ability is definitely not the most important factor in rebounding success.

pfrduke
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Of course jumping ability is definitely not the most important factor in rebounding success.

See, e.g., Kevin Love.

Newton_14
02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree with superdave. Miles Plumlee is our best post defender. Ryan Kelly has the best offensive skills and Mason Plumlee is best at rebounding, but Miles Plumlee is the best defender. He rotates to cut off the baseline and steps up to prevent penetration. When it appears he gets burnt due to being out of position reality is one of his teammates did not properly rotate to provide help.

We will definitely need all three to play strong tomorrow in Coral Gables. In the game at Cameron, the three combined for 16 points, 20 rebounds and eight blocked shots.

Have to agree with Superdave and Bob. Consistently thoughout the year, Miles has been our best post defender. He did a super job on Zeller down the stretch Wed night, and did the same against Williams down the stretch in the home game with Maryland. At times, Mason has been our best post defender, but he just needs to be more consistent down there. Ryan is best at drawing charges, but on several occasions he has been late rotating as a help defender, and has been overmatched at times due to lack of strength. Ryan should get much better over time as he gains strength. Very smart player and crafty. All 3 can and will get better. Especially Mason and Ryan, given they are only sophomore's.

We need all 3 to play well against Miami. I agree with the idea of taking it to Johnson early and often on the offensive side to try to get him in foul trouble. UNC game aside, Mason has had a lot of success lately facing up on the baseline and driving. Hope to see that tomorrow night. That will help take the pressure off the perimeter scoring..

timmy c
02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like this is a Fox Sports Network game. Anyone got an ideas where I can find an internet link?

Saratoga2
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Bob

You are correct about what I was saying. Miles has super hops for such a big guy.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Could be a trap game.

To quote Prince Humperdink: "I always think everything could be a trap, that is why I'm still alive."

ndkjr70
02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Please refrain from commenting on things you don't actually know about. I've been to all of the Miami home games, and the place gets LOUD. The upper deck doesn't sell much, yeah, but the student sections have been filled a half hour before every single home game, and we make quite a bit of noise. We also lost last-second heartbreakers to UNC and FSU, two teams that we "shouldn't" have been close with. There was definitely a home court advantage in those games.

The fact that we're not CIS doesn't mean we're a church.

Bob Green
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Please refrain from commenting on things you don't actually know about.

Olympic Fan knows a lot so perhaps you should refrain from commenting on things you don't actually know about.

ndkjr70
02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Olympic Fan knows a lot so perhaps you should refrain from commenting on things you don't actually know about.

That seems like a silly comment, considering that he was making an assumption -- incorrectly -- and I was responding with first-hand-information.

I also applaud you for taking the sentence out of context to make it seem like I was calling him out and not his claim. If you don't already work for a tabloid, I'd be thrilled to write a recommendation.

gumbomoop
02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
The fact that we're not CIS doesn't mean we're a church.

A friendly request -

Any chance you could give us an update on how Miami has been playing lately, and who's hot, who's not? I have the impression, for example, that Garrius Adams, who played little against Duke in CIS, is now playing well, as is Adrian Thomas as 6th man/3-bomber.

As a number of us have noticed, Miami's games are always close, so they could just as easily be 6-4 as 4-6. I think that last gasp 3 by Barnes in the UNC game, when the Miami player was in position to intercept the pass, but slipped, was tough to overcome. But they have, admirably.

I've claimed in an earlier post that Haith will have his team believing they can win most of their remaining games, and do well in the ACCT. This is hardly an insightful observation, but I make it simply to emphasize that Miami hasn't given up and expects to win tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
To quote Prince Humperdink: "I always think everything could be a trap, that is why I'm still alive."

How'd that work out for him in the end?

ndkjr70
02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
A friendly request -

Any chance you could give us an update on how Miami has been playing lately, and who's hot, who's not? I have the impression, for example, that Garrius Adams, who played little against Duke in CIS, is now playing well, as is Adrian Thomas as 6th man/3-bomber.

As a number of us have noticed, Miami's games are always close, so they could just as easily be 6-4 as 4-6. I think that last gasp 3 by Barnes in the UNC game, when the Miami player was in position to intercept the pass, but slipped, was tough to overcome. But they have, admirably.

I've claimed in an earlier post that Haith will have his team believing they can win most of their remaining games, and do well in the ACCT. This is hardly an insightful observation, but I make it simply to emphasize that Miami hasn't given up and expects to win tomorrow.

We've been playing well. Honestly, though, I thought we played better in the losses to UNC and FSU (throwing out the NCState game in the middle, because we were pretty putrid there).

They are always close. Absolutely. Our last 4 losses (all 4 against ACC teams) were all by 4 or fewer points. The only other two ACC losses were to Clemson (by 7, though it wasn't an actual 7 point loss if you know what I mean) and Duke (where, for a while, we stuck with them).

We should have won the UNC game, I'm sure of that. And, in the FSU game, we had 2 separate opportunities to make the winning basket with under 20 seconds to go -- sometimes, they just don't go in. The one thing we don't lack, however, is confidence. I've yet to see the team give up, put their tail between their legs, or anything like that. A big part of that is Durand Scott: whose importance to the team stems much deeper than his stat-line.

Reggie Johnson continues to play lights out basketball. He could give Miles/Mason/Ryan a real fit if they don't body him up. He's a big big BIG boy, and he knows how to use his gut. Who else lately? Adrian Thomas, as you said, is becoming the spark off the bench. He's got a silky shot. Scott, Thomas, Grant, and Reggie are the threats. Know those 4 names. You won't need to know any others. If you see Julien Gamble in the game (and trust me, you will), start doing yourself a little dance. He's quite possibly the softest player on the team. He has a big frame and is afraid to use it. He takes stupid shots, shies away from any contact... you name it, he doesn't do it.

We're a young team (no seniors at all), and it seems like we have the ability to get up for better teams (while, conversely, we seem to play down to lesser teams). If Duke has a letdown post-Carolina game, we could definitely shock them. But we don't have nearly enough talent to compete with them. If Reggie's in foul trouble ever, Haith shouldn't even try. If he's not, Duke should at least come prepared.

gumbomoop
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Scott, Thomas, Grant, and Reggie are the threats. Know those 4 names. You won't need to know any others.

Wait. You mean I wasted my time paying attention to an improving [?] Garrius Adams? Well, crap.

Anyhow, thanks for the updated analysis.

I thought, beginning of season, that Miami was a sleeper. Only a win over Duke tomorrow could keep their slim hopes alive. You'll forgive me for hoping the 'Canes do well..... next year. This assumes - do you?? - that neither Scott nor Johnson will do something dumb like declaring for the draft.

ndkjr70
02-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Wait. You mean I wasted my time paying attention to an improving [?] Garrius Adams? Well, crap.

Anyhow, thanks for the updated analysis.

I thought, beginning of season, that Miami was a sleeper. Only a win over Duke tomorrow could keep their slim hopes alive. You'll forgive me for hoping the 'Canes do well..... next year. This assumes - do you?? - that neither Scott nor Johnson will do something dumb like declaring for the draft.

I was impressed that you even knew the name Garrius Adams. The kid's got talent, there's no doubting that, but he won't see the ball much so long as Durand and Grant are on the court.

I also would put money on it that both Scott and Regg return next year. They lost a bunch of close ones that really killed a lot of their chances, so I do thnk they'll come out firing on all cylinders tomorrow. We'll see, though.

Bob Green
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
That seems like a silly comment, considering that he was making an assumption -- incorrectly -- and I was responding with first-hand-information.

I also applaud you for taking the sentence out of context to make it seem like I was calling him out and not his claim. If you don't already work for a tabloid, I'd be thrilled to write a recommendation.

You're assuming Olympic Fan hasn't been present at Miami games in Coral Gables. What makes you so sure his information isn't first hand?

Atldukie79
02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
A quick trip to Zurich, Switzerland and I am sitting in a hotel room trying to figure out how to watch the Miami game tonight...

Any advice?

Indoor66
02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
A quick trip to Zurich, Switzerland and I am sitting in a hotel room trying to figure out how to watch the Miami game tonight...

Any advice?

Is the Concorde still flying? :)

rfaison
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I've just recently moved to Verizon FIOS TV (in Washington DC area, Montgomery County to be specific) from DirecTV and and amd still learning the new channel locations so I may just not be looking in the right place ... but I'm not finding the Miami game. I think FSN is CSNDCHD 576 which is showing the Wizards-Cavaliers game at 6:30 and then 30 minutes (!!??) of Duke-Miami at 8:30 ... am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance.

Bob Green
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
The key to winning today's game in Coral Gables will be defending the 3-PT line. Yes, Reggie Johnson is a beast inside who put up 22 points and nine rebounds on us in Cameron, but the Hurricanes were 3-17 (.176) on 3-PT FGs that night. For the season, Miami shoots .382 from beyond the arc, which is fourth best in the ACC. Malcolm Grant has made the most 3-PT shots (62) in the ACC and Adrian Thomas (58) is third.

We would gain an advantage if Johnson was to suffer foul trouble so I agree with those who have posted we should go straight at Johnson on the offensive end of the court. However, the focus on defense must be shutting down the Hurricanes 3-PT shooting. Johnson cannot beat us by himself, but if Miami gets its inside-outside game going they could give us a lot of trouble.

Hitting the glass is my second key to the game especially on defense. We cannot allow Miami multiple opportunities to score the ball. The Hurricanes are a strong offensive rebounding team. In corralling 36.2 percent of offensive rebound opportunities, Miami is third in the ACC. Duke is eighth in the ACC in defensive rebounding percentage.

Therefore, the things I will be watching for are:

1. Defending the 3-PT line
2. Rebounding
3. Attacking Johnson on offense to draw fouls

mickeysgotagun
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I was impressed that you even knew the name Garrius Adams. The kid's got talent, there's no doubting that, but he won't see the ball much so long as Durand and Grant are on the court.

I also would put money on it that both Scott and Regg return next year. They lost a bunch of close ones that really killed a lot of their chances, so I do thnk they'll come out firing on all cylinders tomorrow. We'll see, though.

Garrius Adams is from my area, and I've actually met him. Here's to hoping that he scores 40 points this game and Miami loses 100-40:D

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I've just recently moved to Verizon FIOS TV (in Washington DC area, Montgomery County to be specific) from DirecTV and and amd still learning the new channel locations so I may just not be looking in the right place ... but I'm not finding the Miami game. I think FSN is CSNDCHD 576 which is showing the Wizards-Cavaliers game at 6:30 and then 30 minutes (!!??) of Duke-Miami at 8:30 ... am I missing something?

Thanks for any guidance.

See channel 1 at 6:30, bro.

501 might even carry it in HD (but I doubt it.)

diesel
02-13-2011, 11:42 AM
According to my channel guide, Rfaison and Troublemaker, Verizon FIOS is carrying the game in HD on Channel 501 in the DC/Northern Virginia area.

DukeBlueHeart4
02-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know where I can watch the game online?

77devil
02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Bumping back to the top as the thread is about to slip to page 2 an hour before game time. C'mon online crazies. Let's not take this one for granted.

DukieInBrasil
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Bumping back to the top as the thread is about to slip to page 2 an hour before game time. C'mon online crazies. Let's not take this one for granted.

I'm gonna be watching the game at a bud's house, my first co-Duke fan viewing this season. So that'll be good. Hopefully the final result will be even better.

hsheffield
02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
DukeBlueHeart4 and timmy-

did you find an internet source??

thanks!

lotusland
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know where I can watch the game online?

Nope, it's not looking good at this point. I'm glad Fox SS is out of the picture next year.

DukeBlueHeart4
02-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Nope, it's not looking good at this point. I'm glad Fox SS is out of the picture next year.
Me too! It's so frustrating!

I'm still looking. Getting more agitated by the second though!

Newton_14
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM

I am glad to see them go as well. Their coverage has always been bad anyway. They use crazy camera angles at times which is annoying as heck. My complaint this year though is the fact they are showing the games in Standard Definition. The last couple of years they broadcast in HD, but every Sunday Night game all year has been in SD. At least for me. I have Dish Network, and the games are on Fox Sports South. Tonight's game is in SD again.

Curious to know if folks with cable or Direct TV are getting the games in SD and not HD this year on the Sunday Night games?

sagegrouse
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I am glad to see them go as well. Their coverage has always been bad anyway. They use crazy camera angles at times which is annoying as heck. My complaint this year though is the fact they are showing the games in Standard Definition. The last couple of years they broadcast in HD, but every Sunday Night game all year has been in SD. At least for me. I have Dish Network, and the games are on Fox Sports South. Tonight's game is in SD again.

Curious to know if folks with cable or Direct TV are getting the games in SD and not HD this year on the Sunday Night games?

So far HD on DirecTV, but I'll let you know after tonight.

sagegrouse

timmy c
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
DukeBlueHeart4 and timmy-

did you find an internet source??

thanks!

still looking...

try this: http://www.vipstand.me/watch/20739/1/ncaab:-5duke-vs-miami-(fl).html

dukehoopsgirl
02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
We're in Portland Maine...Just settling in for the 6:45 tip-off and NESN (who normally shows the FSN games) is airing Charlie Moore and is saying they're airing the Duke game at 8:00PM. Anyone else in New England getting this message? Or, have other suggestions for watching the game live?

Dukeface88
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Another option http://www.justin.tv/cbball#/w/862696480

billyj
02-13-2011, 06:45 PM

have to thank our UNC fans.

dalmatians98
02-13-2011, 06:47 PM

In South Hamptons Roads, VA we're getting the Fox SD feed on Cox, cable channel 11. This is a far better option than my wife and I squinting at a Justin.TV feed on our laptops and saying, "Who was that?"

riverside6
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7061

Les Grossman
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I found it on TCNHD on Comcast cable in the Philly area. Its ch. 856 here

dcdevil2009
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
So far HD on DirecTV, but I'll let you know after tonight.

No HD for directTV in the DC area when it conflicts with Wizards or Redskins coverage on CSN

lotusland
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM

That works, thanks!

Les Grossman
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Sure sounds quiet for an ACC game

Les Grossman
02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
fortunately

Kfanarmy
02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Duke working hard on D, so is Miami, but the ball seems to be bouncing Miami's way a bit.

wgl1228
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
What a quiet lazy game. We need to step up the intensity.

SMO
02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Can someone force Mike Kitts to retire? He's horrible. I mean, crazy bad.

lotusland
02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
is on so far.

Nice to see while Nolan was out!

SMO
02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
is on so far.

Nice to see while Nolan was out!

Except when he gets tackled with no call.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Curry on fire

lotusland
02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Curry on fire

Ryan too

SMO
02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
A lot went right for Miami in the first half and they may still end up trailing.

lotusland
02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
solid D so far

Les Grossman
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
all three playing pretty well first half
nice to see

seth's development is fun to watch.

moonpie23
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
man, flashes of jon's eye injury went thru my head.......nolan seems to be ok...maybe still stinging a bit..

it looked on the replay more that he got his nose jammed....

defensive adjustments....

lotusland
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
A lot went right for Miami in the first half and they may still end up trailing.

Yeah they mad some shots from the perimeter but we didn't get killed inside or give up many easy baskets. The ball movement was really good I thought.

Utley
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Gutty first half for the team. Miles and Ryan really stepped up and Seth was en fuego again. Miami played really well - I think we continue to get the best of many teams.

DukeGirl4ever
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I didn't notice it much earlier in the year, but the past 4-5 games I am truly amazed at how quick Seth's hands get in the action. He gets a lot of deflections and he had a few steals in the first half.

DukeBlueHeart4
02-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks!!! I was going to thank you earlier but I get sucked in when the game is on.

First half observations:

*Seth Curry has maintained his confidence. Clearly becoming a reliable third scorer.
*Kyle doesn't seem bothered by his performance vs. Carolina, which is something I worried about. It's good to see him rebound nicely from that performance, as a senior should.
*I've been impressed with Miles and Mason thus far. They've been more effective than I anticipated them being.
*We didn't fall apart without one of our big two on the court! Nice to see the guys maintain the level of play without Nolan.
*Miami is getting what they want beyond the arc! We've gotta defend the 3-pt. line better or this could be a long night.

basket1544
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Nolan's injury - scary! He seems to be able to shoot free throws with one eye though. I wonder what it means that he didn't come back into the game for that final play?
Kyle is stepping it up with 9 points and5 rebounds. Seth is the one carrying the team. He's doing great. And then the bigs are all 3 doing great! Ryan needs to play better defense, but he's shooting great. Mason made both his free throws! Oh and Miles is grabbing every rebound he can or tipping it to someone who can capture it and he's really doing well defensively.

SMO
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah they mad some shots from the perimeter but we didn't get killed inside or give up many easy baskets. The ball movement was really good I thought.

Agreed. Nolan sits for much of the half, has an injury, MIA is on fire from 3, they get a few calls...and go in down 5 at the half. Will be interesting to see what that does to their spirit in the 2nd half.

DukeGirl4ever
02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Nolan's injury - scary! He seems to be able to shoot free throws with one eye though. I wonder what it means that he didn't come back into the game for that final play?

I wouldn't read anything in to that - I just think K was keeping him out b/c of his fouls. They ran the play for Kyle, so I don't think Nolan would have been a factor anyway if that's the offensive set they wanted to run.

DukieTiger
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I think Seth looks so different out there when compared to earlier in the season. Much more confident with the ball, solid defense, in control on offense (especially with Nolan out) and doing all of this against a pretty tough backcourt. Nice to see!

I thought the Plums have been playing really well, I would have liked us to get them a few more touches while Nolan was out and we were clearly searching for offensive rhythm. Very solid job on the offensive boards, and I think Miami got a few of its ORebs off long bounces off their shots. Overall, I thought we did a decent job handling Reggie.

I was happy to see Andre looking to attack off the bounce... It just seems like he's frustrated right now, but you have to think eventually he will bust out of his slump!

Finally, the biggest thing I appreciated about the first half is how we shared the ball. I thought after we lost Kyrie, the team didn't quite spread the ball around as much. We started off strong, but now on the season we are assisting on barely half of our FGs. Today however, we are assisting on 75% of FGs. Nice.

stillcrazie
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Nolan: Looked like a possible eye scratch to me. I hope it is not serious. His eyelid was swollen when he came back.

Son of Mojo
02-13-2011, 07:41 PM
The rest of the team has stepped up well with Nolan getting dinged up a bit in the 1st half. Seth, Ryan, and Miles particularly have impressed me (along with several on here from the sound of things). The offense could play a little crisper though that's hard to do without Nolan being out there for so long. Defense needs to stop double teaming unless an opposing big has the ball and is within 5' of the goal.......it's unnecessary and not helping. Hopefully the 2nd half can be closed out with a win.

fisheyes
02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Miles!!! WOW!!!

SMO
02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Loved Nolan's runner "and 1"....until someone overruled the baseline official and decided it was a charge. This crew is terrible.

DukieTiger
Miles has done a really nice job of late as a defensive catalyst.

juise
Nolan: Looked like a possible eye scratch to me. I hope it is not serious. His eyelid was swollen when he came back.

The sideline reporter said that his eye was sensitive to light. That sounds like a corneal abrasion. I had that twice at Duke from sleeping in my contacts while studying for finals. It took me a few days to recover, so I'm glad that he's come back with a vengeance in the second half. I think the ref who called him for that charge would be fortunate to have an excuse like corneal abrasion. Not a good call.

ajgoodfella7
That charge called on Nolan was ridiculous.

Kfanarmy
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Nolan's injury - scary! He seems to be able to shoot free throws with one eye though. I wonder what it means that he didn't come back into the game for that final play?.. think coaches didn't want to risk a third foul right before the half

CBDUKE
02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I guess the refs don't talk to each other when they have different calls. The one under the basket called a block and the shot good.

slower
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Curry was wide open - please pass it to him next time.

lotusland
02-13-2011, 08:15 PM
rolled over on the floor and layed there for a few seconds before getting up and hobbling to end bounds the ball and the announcers never even noticed. It usually gets him going when gets banged up a little but that last shot was not a good attempt.

But now a 3!