PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's All American Team Announced

VaDukie
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_BoysRosterAlph.pdf

Rivers, Cook, and Marshall make it for the good guys.

MChambers
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
And now it's official (http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_BoysRosterAlph.pdf).

So how does Austin Rivers end up on the West team, while Brad Beal is on the East team?

Huh?
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_BoysRosterAlph.pdf

Rivers, Cook, and Marshall make it for the good guys.

West looks stacked.

rotogod00
02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
West looks stacked.

Yup. If you believe ESPN's rankings, the West has 8 of the top 11 guys (and the top 2)

Devil07
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Congrats are also in order for Amber Henson and Elizabeth Williams for making the women's team! http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_GirlsRosterAlph.pdf

Greg_Newton
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Disappointing Gbinije wasn't eligible, I would have liked to see him play.

I'm kind of surprised Marshall got the nod... wonder what Mr. Adams thinks about that.

Huh?
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Congrats are also in order for Amber Henson and Elizabeth Williams for making the women's team! http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_GirlsRosterAlph.pdf

It's crazy to see the different mix of schools the women are going to.....6'3" and 6'4" huh? Nice.

Jeff Frosh
02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
4 headed to Kentucky

All 5 that are headed to ACC are Duke (3) and UNC (2; would be 3 with Zeller ;))

No uncommitted, which seems unusual.

jimsumner
02-10-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm kind of surprised Marshall got the nod... wonder what Mr. Adams thinks about that.

I believe MG is eligible for other all-star games, including the Jordan Classic.

RepoMan
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I believe MG is eligible for other all-star games, including the Jordan Classic.

Why was he ineligible for this game?

Magnolia888
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
For the guys, it looks like the East vs. the . . . not quite as East, but still pretty East. :p

I'm not sure how FL and MA can be considered "West" but since there are so few guys from anywhere in the actual West, I guess they have to put somebody on the West team.

One would think they would have pushed the guy from St. Louis over to the West before FL or MA. I guess the "east" and "west" are just to give the teams names, since almost all the guys chosen are from the East. The only guy from the west coast is from Oregon? Not a single person from CA. Interesting.

tastytaste
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
No one headed to Pac 10

DMV2434
02-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Why was he ineligible for this game?

I think he may be a 5th year senior. I remember John Wall being ineligible for the McDonald's game but playing in the Jordan Classic, hopefully Mike can do the same.

flyingdutchdevil
02-11-2011, 07:24 AM

Hate to say it, but I hope Adams doesn't care at all! In my mind, the McD AA is fairly meaningless. One of my biggest pet peeves is the statement "[xxx] is a McD All-American so he must be great" and "[xxx] team has [xxx] McD All-Americans, they must be good!" because there is absolutely no upside to that statement. If the player was great, people will say "It's expected. Wasn't he supposed to be great? He was an McD AA!" If he's mediocre or even good, people will say "That player is a disappointment. He's a McD AA? Really?"

Just look at UNC last year or Duke a few years back when the media and opposing teams were criticising the teams for not having successful seasons despite having 5-8 McD AAs.

Neals384
02-11-2011, 01:32 PM
SEC - 7
ACC - 5
Big East - 5
Big 10 - 4
Big 12 - 2
Conf USA - 1
PAC 10 - 0

thenameisbond
02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
The inclusion of Marshall Plumlee is a pleasant surprise. I don't know of any other families that can boast having two brothers who are MDAAs, although there may be some.

I only hope that this honor doesn't place too many unrealistic expectations on him from fans.

dukelifer
02-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Hate to say it, but I hope Adams doesn't care at all! In my mind, the McD AA is fairly meaningless. One of my biggest pet peeves is the statement "[xxx] is a McD All-American so he must be great" and "[xxx] team has [xxx] McD All-Americans, they must be good!" because there is absolutely no upside to that statement. If the player was great, people will say "It's expected. Wasn't he supposed to be great? He was an McD AA!" If he's mediocre or even good, people will say "That player is a disappointment. He's a McD AA? Really?"

Just look at UNC last year or Duke a few years back when the media and opposing teams were criticising the teams for not having successful seasons despite having 5-8 McD AAs.

True but this of course was balanced by winning it all with a boat load of McDonald AA's.
While not all these kids are NBA great- most are usually very solid college players. Sometimes it take a while though. The expectation is that most are finished products coming out of high school - and that is far from the truth.

dukelifer
02-11-2011, 02:13 PM
The inclusion of Marshall Plumlee is a pleasant surprise. I don't know of any other families that can boast having two brothers who are MDAAs, although there may be some.

I only hope that this honor doesn't place too many unrealistic expectations on him from fans.

The Wear twins and Lopez twins come to mind. I am sure there are a couple more. UNC Henson and his sister- soon to be Duke Henson may be rarer.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Given that he is the next Laettner/Boozer/Zoobs, how high can expectations really get??

Congrats to Marshall and his family, as well as to the Cooks and Rivers'.

And as an Irishman, I'll take all the Murphys I can get! Forget hamburgers -- steak and potatoes work fine.

gumbomoop
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
The inclusion of Marshall Plumlee is a pleasant surprise.

IMO, the expectations for him on these EK Forum threads are unrealistically... low. It depends, of course, on exactly what those expectations are, and one could hardly get a precise fix on said expectations from the many, mostly brief, comments on recent threads.

Still, I infer that a majority of posters (1) think Marshall will play very little in 2011-12, (2) hope he backs up frosh Tony Parker [currently a "must get" for both Duke and UNC] in 2012-2013 [at maybe 8-10 mpg], (3) backs up soph Parker in 2013-2014 [at maybe 12 mpg], and (4) maybe starts his [Marshall's] senior year [2014-2015], assuming Parker departs for the NBA. If I have here slandered untold thousands of DBR posters in these speculations as to their speculations, well, it wouldn't be the first time.

To be clear, I definitely hope Tony Parker comes to Duke, rather than, to cite a random example, UNC. And if Parker chooses to matriculate somewhere else, I can see that the coaching staff may well try to get another big in the 2012 class.

Further, I hope I have no totally wacky illusions re Marshall's strengths. I know he is neither a "big body" nor a polished player. He's a back-to-the-basket guy, needs to bulk up, should become a solid rebounder and decent shot-blocker. I know, too, that the gurus are a bit divided on Marshall, and am guessing that even his most enthusiastic supporter among the gurus would say his selection as a McD AA is, call it, borderline.

But I insist that, given the opportunity during his soph year [2012-2013] to play, by necessity [Mason leaves after his junior year, Parker goes elsewhere, Ryan is, by default, our starting 5], he could do ok for 12-15 mpg. And then play a lot his final 2 years at Duke.

I do not believe the expectations for Marshall that I have set forth here are unrealistically high. But I will guess that at least a few [but probably not untold thousands of] posters will disagree, and conclude that I am exhibit #1 of the concern you express in the bolded phrase.

And I'd bet the "evidence" re Marshall will be on display this very evening in CIS [and on ESPN 2, 7:30], and that it will be "mixed."