PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tyler Thornton

MCFinARL
02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Thornton saw very limited action last night after landing hard on his back. When things picked up in the second half, the Smith-Curry combination was working so well that it didn't surprise me Thornton didn't come back in--but can anyone tell me if he was actually hurt as well? Is this something that is likely to keep him out of the next couple of games or limit his minutes?

dchen09
02-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Thornton saw very limited action last night after landing hard on his back. When things picked up in the second half, the Smith-Curry combination was working so well that it didn't surprise me Thornton didn't come back in--but can anyone tell me if he was actually hurt as well? Is this something that is likely to keep him out of the next couple of games or limit his minutes?

At least from watching the ESPN broadcast they said that he was available if they needed him. Though since Nolan and Curry were playing so well, its hard to draw any conclusions about the seriousness of the injury. Though the fact that when Nolan jumped at Thornton after the game ended and I didn't see any hint of a grimace or anything, I think it won't be a particularly serious injury.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
At least from watching the ESPN broadcast they said that he was available if they needed him. Though since Nolan and Curry were playing so well, its hard to draw any conclusions about the seriousness of the injury. Though the fact that when Nolan jumped at Thornton after the game ended and I didn't see any hint of a grimace or anything, I think it won't be a particularly serious injury.
I think it was a combination of Tyler's booboo and Seth playing so well.

dchen09
02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I think it was a combination of Tyler's booboo and Seth playing so well.

LOL, Duke players only get booboo's :-P

4decadedukie
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
The value of Tyler's limited appearance should not be ignored; specifically, he now has far greater first-hand experience with the intensity, the rapidness and the player quality in an exceptionally emotionally charged rivalry game. Perhaps part of Coach K's strategy was to expose him to this especially high standard, which is the metric he must master duing the next year(s).

SupaDave
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
The value of Tyler's limited appearance should not be ignored; specifically, he now has far greater first-hand experience with the intensity, the rapidness and the player quality in an exceptionally emotionally charged rivalry game. Perhaps part of Coach K's strategy was to expose him to this especially high standard, which is the metric he must master duing the next year(s).

Very true. It's one of those games that you get so pumped up for that you're exhausted two mins in because you are going so hard. Approach to the game will be a big part of the team's success in the future.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Seth and Nolan both played the whole 20 minutes, right?

dukeluv
02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Next year Curry and Thorton with Irving,,,,,

Should be amazing.

Olympic Fan
02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
The report was a bruised back.

But it's important to note that Tyler DID come back very briefly in the first half after he was hurt. Erin Andrews reported early in the second half that he was available if needed.

Obviously, the play of Curry and Smith was so effective that there was no opportunity to use him. If you remember, Andre didn't play in the second half until very late, when K was loading the lineup with free throw shooters for the final minute or so.

We've seen the young guys have setbacks as they've progressed this season. Ryan Kelly has been in and out ... Seth and now Andre have gone in and out. With so many options, there are going to be games where one of those guys will be out of it.

But wee've also seen guys come back from disappointing performances. It's part of the growth process.

It will be interesting to see if Tyler starts at Miami. It wouldn't shock me if Seth got the nod ... although it seems like he's been better coming off the bench.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Next year Curry and Thorton with Irving,,,,,

Should be amazing.

Would be great if Irving comes back. Don't forget Austin!!!!!

Duke: A Dynasty
02-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Would be great if Irving comes back. Don't forget Austin!!!!!

and Mr. Cook as well now