PDA

View Full Version : Well Played, Crazies

MulletMan
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, last night was my first Carolina game above the rail in 10 years. I have to admit, I wasn't really sure how that was going to work out for my heart, but I digress.

I wanted to give a shout out to The Crazies. Last night the crowd carried the team through the last 5 minutes of the game. I hope that all of you remember the night that you were the catalyst to a win in Cameron. Our guys has expended so much energy to make the comeback, and it was all hanging by a thread, but you kept the energy up and brought the boys home. Well done.

And excellent timing on the "Stand Up" chant. I think you urged the upstairs to join you with about 2:30 left... an guess what... IT WORKED! And they stayed standing! Its all about the timing kids. Well done.

Consider me a very proud Crazie-alum.

Huh?
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
That was the loudest I have heard Cameron.....I think ever. My ears are still ringing. What a game, what a comeback, what an atmosphere. Still getting chills thinking about it.

devildeac
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Well, last night was my first Carolina game above the rail in 10 years. I have to admit, I wasn't really sure how that was going to work out for my heart, but I digress.

I wanted to give a shout out to The Crazies. Last night the crowd carried the team through the last 5 minutes of the game. I hope that all of you remember the night that you were the catalyst to a win in Cameron. Our guys has expended so much energy to make the comeback, and it was all hanging by a thread, but you kept the energy up and brought the boys home. Well done.

And excellent timing on the "Stand Up" chant. I think you urged the upstairs to join you with about 2:30 left... an guess what... IT WORKED! And they stayed standing! Its all about the timing kids. Well done.

Consider me a very proud Crazie-alum.

I thought the Crusties were on their feet quite a bit during the game and my wife heard K give huge credit to the fans for helping with the W. It was a GREAT atmoshphere last PM for my 1st Duke-unc game in CIS in about 35-36 years. > 121 dB! Are you kidding me? My ears are still ringing. Well done, Crazies.

Rudy
02-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I thought the Crusties were on their feet quite a bit during the game and my wife heard K give huge credit to the fans for helping with the W. It was a GREAT atmoshphere last PM for my 1st Duke-unc game in CIS in about 35-36 years. > 121 dB! Are you kidding me? My ears are still ringing. Well done, Crazies.
Late in the second half the sound system of Raycom seemed to be overwhelmed by the noise and was stuttering on its broadcast.

watzone
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
They rocked in the post game as well. Check out the first video here - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/bdn-video-duke-v-unc-post-game/

4decadedukie
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree; kudos to the Crazies for an inspiring, sixth-man performance . . . I believe it truly made a difference!

BlueTeuf
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I want to second the praise and not from a Cameron seat. The energy was palpable in my living room 250 mile away. My 15yr-old daughter was induced by the crowd to a state of giddiness. Of course - being a crusty, I sat on my hands.

Absolutely infectious - and inspiring.

JohnGalt
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Would you say they were "ready to bring the rukus...?"

Newton_14
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I am glad MulletMan gave this its own thread. Cameron Indoor was special last night. I thought it was the best crowd ever for games I have attended. The Crazies were unbelievable. It was easily louder than any game I have ever been to. It was loud all game even when UNC was having their way with us, but from the moment Kelly hit the 3 on, it went to another level. I could not hear myself think and my ears are still ringing.

The UNC fans behind their bench were drowned out the entire night even though they led 3/4's of the game.

Kudos to the Crazies and the Crusties for a night to remember!

PumpkinFunk
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Dunno... I find it to be a tale of two halves. The second half was the best that I've seen Cameron in all of my 4 years. The first half was the worst Carolina game I've seen in 4 years. With all that being said, the second half made up for everything. 121+ decibels was just absurd. And that was from the side across from the Crazies. I can only imagine how loud it was right front and center. I hope we can keep up these performances from the Crazies in the future, because this year has been pretty lackluster.

Bluedog
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
They rocked in the post game as well. Check out the first video here - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/bdn-video-duke-v-unc-post-game/

Thanks for the great videos Mark! I have a question for you. Are you planning to bring the post-game press conference audio back to your site anytime soon? I loved hearing what Coach K and the players had to say after every game. I guess I'll settle for the quotes on goduke.com, but hearing everybody's voice is more appealing. Thanks again!

MulletMan
02-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Would you say they were "ready to bring the rukus...?"

Oh, indeed I would. I consider it broughten.

It was loud all game even when UNC was having their way with us...

And I cannot say enough how important this was. As I always to Viking Guy, its easy to scream and cheer after a thunderous dunk or a back-breaking three by Duke... but its more important to go bat-sh** crazy when the boys are getting knocked back a little (or in last night's first half a lot!). Its most important to pick them up when they're down... and the Crazies did that last night. First time in a while, I'm not gonna lie. Again, I was proud.

Alright... enough of this love fest! The Crazies were way more creative/loud/funny back in my day... and Grant Hill served the beer... and Chris Duhon's little bro sat with us... and blah blah blah.

Magnolia888
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the great videos Mark! I have a question for you. Are you planning to bring the post-game press conference audio back to your site anytime soon? I loved hearing what Coach K and the players had to say after every game. I guess I'll settle for the quotes on goduke.com, but hearing everybody's voice is more appealing. Thanks again!

Here is Coach K (http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/collegebasketball/p3IWy5WLsi4GJzN4yBPe7IXlgChgdqKw/coach-k-postgame) - just the opening statement about the game, not any Q &A.

dukebsbll14
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Amazing game. My first Duke/UNC game was a heck of a game.

IMO, the first half we(the Crazies) were dead. I've been to every home game this season and other than the tip-off I couldn't tell the difference between this game and any other ACC game. In fact, someone I know watching the game texted me saying that there were people in the front row not jumping or anything (not tent 1 of course cause we were going crazy!)

Anyways, at halftime after the halftime stuff I turned around and just went off on everyone behind me. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something like, "Everybody needs to be screaming their lungs out every play! Our guys need us! We are winning this game!" I got some compliments on my speech afterwords. Kinda cool.

The whole second half was completely different. The players or coaches were pleading for us to get loud and stay loud at all times. I don't know how much of an impact I had, but there's a part of the freshman in me that likes to think I helped :)

uh_no
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I hope we can keep up these performances from the Crazies in the future, because this year has been pretty lackluster.

I don't know where you've been, but this has been one of the best years for the crazies....especially in the OOC season....it was pretty much just the BC game where people didn't show.....maybe we haven't been as super coordinated as years past, but its been loud

dukeluv
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
It would be nice to think that when Roy went down to his knees he was Praying for the Crazies to stop. Not sure if folks saw that but it was right before Duke went ahead. They showed him on knee with assistant bending over to make sure he was okay.

Has happened before so I hope he is okay. Maybe a hydration problem. Was it hot in there last night. I remember the days of hearing announcers saying Coach K turned on the heat it must be 110 in here tonight........

coldriver10
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Just curious, but any chants about Larry Drew? Or was that considered an untouchable topic?

weezie
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Eh, who had the time? Poor LDII, out of sight, out of mind.

-bdbd
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
It would be nice to think that when Roy went down to his knees he was Praying for the Crazies to stop. Not sure if folks saw that but it was right before Duke went ahead. They showed him on knee with assistant bending over to make sure he was okay.

Has happened before so I hope he is okay. Maybe a hydration problem. Was it hot in there last night. I remember the days of hearing announcers saying Coach K turned on the heat it must be 110 in here tonight........

The Mike Gminski ("Jefferson/Pilot") TV broadcast showed him in a replay, when they came back from a commercial, kneeling with hand on his temples and a coach bending over him. The announcer recalled that he'd had a couple instances of virtigo/dizziness in past years. It didn't appear serious as he was up 30 seconds later shouting/gesturing in the team huddle.

I too am eager to hear what was said and done by the Crazies last night. What signs? What cheers? Anything for The Black Crow, er, Falcon? 'will be disappointed if the name of LD2 didn't come up in some context...

Late in the first half, on the TV broadcast, you could briefly hear a "Tar-Heels" chant, but that seemed to quickly rile up the crazies who quickly drowned it out. The noise was loud enough in the second half to apparently wreak havoc with the microphones for the TV guys. Kudos!

dukebsbll14
02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The Mike Gminski ("Jefferson/Pilot") TV broadcast showed him in a replay, when they came back from a commercial, kneeling with hand on his temples and a coach bending over him. The announcer recalled that he'd had a couple instances of virtigo/dizziness in past years. It didn't appear serious as he was up 30 seconds later shouting/gesturing in the team huddle.

I too am eager to hear what was said and done by the Crazies last night. What signs? What cheers? Anything for The Black Crow, er, Falcon? 'will be disappointed if the name of LD2 didn't come up in some context...

Late in the first half, on the TV broadcast, you could briefly hear a "Tar-Heels" chant, but that seemed to quickly rile up the crazies who quickly drowned it out. The noise was loud enough in the second half to apparently wreak havoc with the microphones for the TV guys. Kudos!

Coach K asked us in the team meeting to lay off of the UNC players. He said he would rather have us focus on our team and bring them up than the bring them down.

However, one time Kendall Marshall went to the line, we chanted "Larry's better!" He missed.

Yeah they tried to start a "Tar Heels" chant twice, but we got rid of that as quick as we could.

Newton_14
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Coach K asked us in the team meeting to lay off of the UNC players. He said he would rather have us focus on our team and bring them up than the bring them down.

However, one time Kendall Marshall went to the line, we chanted "Larry's better!" He missed.

Yeah they tried to start a "Tar Heels" chant twice, but we got rid of that as quick as we could.

I thought I heard a short lived "Where is Larry? Clap Clap Clap" chant shortly before tip-off? Did I hear that wrong?

uh_no
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
I thought I heard a short lived "Where is Larry? Clap Clap Clap" chant shortly before tip-off? Did I hear that wrong?

yes....there was some of that

TaiAdmiral
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Ever wonder what it's like to be a Cameron Crazie at halfcourt for the greatest rivalry game in college sports? Check out our newest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-noTpDuPE

(I was debating whether or not to record the whole game...decided to just watch and get into it. Can you blame me?)

1999ballboy
02-11-2011, 02:22 AM

IMO, the first half we(the Crazies) were dead. I've been to every home game this season and other than the tip-off I couldn't tell the difference between this game and any other ACC game. In fact, someone I know watching the game texted me saying that there were people in the front row not jumping or anything (not tent 1 of course cause we were going crazy!)

Anyways, at halftime after the halftime stuff I turned around and just went off on everyone behind me. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something like, "Everybody needs to be screaming their lungs out every play! Our guys need us! We are winning this game!" I got some compliments on my speech afterwords. Kinda cool.

The whole second half was completely different. The players or coaches were pleading for us to get loud and stay loud at all times. I don't know how much of an impact I had, but there's a part of the freshman in me that likes to think I helped :)
Great job on the speech. I agree with your assessment. In the first half, the intensity wasn't at the level it should be for the Duke/Carolina game. In the second... wow! Of course, I'm always going to say my freshman UNC game was the best (2005, Duke wins 71-70. CLASSIC.), but this one was right up there.

One minor quibble: since when do the Crazies shut up during time outs so that the PA guy can advertise discount tires in peace and quiet?

MulletMan
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
One minor quibble: since when do the Crazies shut up during time outs so that the PA guy can advertise discount tires in peace and quiet?

There is no way to get anything going over that PA system. Duke has decided to drown the Crazies out with ads. So be it. They need to save the energy for game play. Trying to shout over the PA is useless and has been for about 4 years.

DevilWearsPrada
02-11-2011, 11:49 AM

THANK you CRAZIES. Love you, Love Duke, GTHC!!! I love how the Baby Boy Blue Tarholes started their Tar Heel chant.......... and you guys ROSE UP and SWATTED it down. I was yelling and cheering the entire game. Waving those PomPoms and My Blue Lighted Trident!! (Seated in SEction 1). We got compliments, from some of the Cameron Crusties, sitting above us, telling myself and my friend, how well he were cheering and dancing the entire game ( Dancing to EVERYTIME we Touch song).

I might be a Cameron Crustie, but I stand up, on every Bucket!!! The lady to my left, is 95 years old, and she stands up! Her daughter is 70yrs old. So imagine, how many years, they have been to games! ALOT longer, than I have.

MULLET MAN and VIKING GUY..,.. I miss you!!!

MULLET MAN, where were you sitting? I want to find you, on the Kangaroo Panarama picture. Tag yourself!!! Love u, Love Duke 4ever!

OZ
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Please forgive an old crustie for being a little nostalgic... truly, I had a moment Wednesday night of wistful yearning.

It began with the "Crazies" urging us to stand. I had long since lost my voice - Kelly's three pointer had rendered me encapable of speech above a raspy whisper; and my ears were actually hurting from that wonderful deafening roar. As we rose to our feet, honest-to-God chills surged through me as I suffered a moment of de' ja vu. I had been here before.

And indeed I had. My first game was in 1964 and it was Jeff Mullins' senior year. Over the years, I have watched from the seats below and from the one I now occupied as Jeff's shoes have been filled with Verga, Marin, Mike Lewis, Gary Melchionni, Denton, Spanarkel, Gminski, Dennard, Banks, Tate Armstrong, David Henderson (my all time favorite), Alarie, Dawkins, Ferry, Amaker, Billy King, Wojo, Laettner, Hurley, G-Hill, Langdon, DeMarcus, Nate, Carrawell, Shelden, J Williams, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy, Redick, G Henderson, Scheyer, Zoubek and now Singler and Nolan... along with many others.

During a time out, I looked into the rafters and saw the G-Man bent over his mic; on the bench were Collins, Wojo, Carrawell and Nate; and in the section behind the bench, I caught glimpses of Ferry, Dennard, Strickland (maybe) and I think, Koubek, all of whom had now joined the "crusties" below. I had a little trouble recognizing those guys behind the bench, because like me, they were no longer the trim young men of their formidable years.

What went through my mind was how incredibly fortunate I am to be a part of this... my late grandmother would say that I have been "blessed." I am not particularly religious, but, at that moment, I whispered a prayer anyway, "God, don't let me ever take this for granted."

So, the next time you see the "crusties" struggling with the climb to their seats, please don't say, "there goes old money." No, actually, there goes a love that only they can fully understand... and I am here to tell you, it is worth the climb.

stillcrazie
02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Please forgive an old crustie for being a little nostalgic... truly, I had a moment Wednesday night of wistful yearning.

It began with the "Crazies" urging us to stand. I had long since lost my voice - Kelly's three pointer had rendered me encapable of speech above a raspy whisper; and my ears were actually hurting from that wonderful deafening roar. As we rose to our feet, honest-to-God chills surged through me as I suffered a moment of de' ja vu. I had been here before.

And indeed I had. My first game was in 1964 and it was Jeff Mullins' senior year. Over the years, I have watched from the seats below and from the one I now occupied as Jeff's shoes have been filled with Verga, Marin, Mike Lewis, Gary Melchionni, Denton, Spanarkel, Gminski, Dennard, Banks, Tate Armstrong, David Henderson (my all time favorite), Alarie, Dawkins, Ferry, Amaker, Billy King, Wojo, Laettner, Hurley, G-Hill, Langdon, DeMarcus, Nate, Carrawell, Shelden, J Williams, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy, Redick, G Henderson, Scheyer, Zoubek and now Singler and Nolan... along with many others.

During a time out, I looked into the rafters and saw the G-Man bent over his mic; on the bench were Collins, Wojo, Carrawell and Nate; and in the section behind the bench, I caught glimpses of Ferry, Dennard, Strickland (maybe) and I think, Koubek, all of whom had now joined the "crusties" below. I had a little trouble recognizing those guys behind the bench, because like me, they were no longer the trim young men of their formidable years.

What went through my mind was how incredibly fortunate I am to be a part of this... my late grandmother would say that I have been "blessed." I am not particularly religious, but, at that moment, I whispered a prayer anyway, "God, don't let me ever take this for granted."

So, the next time you see the "crusties" struggling with the climb to their seats, please don't say, "there goes old money." No, actually, there goes a love that only they can fully understand... and I am here to tell you, it is worth the climb.

Thank you for your post and for your inspiring testimony!

jv001
02-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I've been to many Duke games and I watched even more on the tube. To me this was the loudest the Crazies have ever been. I watched the 2nd half live on Raycom, and recorded it to watch again. For some unknown reason the 2nd half did not record. Thank God, ESPN ran the game again yesterday and I recorded it again. This time with ESPN announcers. They were practically drowned out by the noise from the Duke fans. I am so proud of the students/fans for their efforts. I'm sure this helped us in an amazing comeback win. Go Duke and Go Crazies!

jacone21
02-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Awesome post! Thanks! Keep making that climb!

jv001
02-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Thank you for one of the best posts that I've read on any board. I too have said that prayer and God has answered it so far in my blessed life. Go Duke!

kmspeaks
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I watched the game on Raycom but finally went back and watched some of the replay on ESPN3. I really think the ESPN feed did much better justice to how loud it got as we inched closer and then finally took the lead. When the crowd noise sounds louder than Dick Vitale screaming into the mic then you know it has to be deafening in Cameron. Awesome job by all on Wednesday night!!

fidel
02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
As I told myself (being in Fuqua/Cameron during 'the Laettner years' (as I call them 91-92):

These are the Good Old Days.

What a great experience the Crazies bring to the game, and glad to say I was there for a bit of it.

Smitty1911
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM

...is what being a fan is all about. Thanks for sharing, billoz. Hopefully I'll be one of the "seasoned" wise crusties one day inspiring the youngsters.

Newton_14
02-11-2011, 10:01 PM

This is just an awesome post. Everyone please give Billoz pitchfork points for this!

I said it earlier but it is worth repeating. I have been attending games for a long time now, and this was by far the best Cameron Indoor experience ever for me. I watched my recording again tonight, and noted that G-Man said at game time the place had been rocking for an hour. He was not lying. I walked in the door as soon as they opened. By the time I came thru the tunnel, the crazies were so loud it was hard to hear the person beside you.

The energy in the building was unlike anything I can describe. It is just something a person has to experience for themselves.

Grey Devil
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. As someone who goes back almost as far (my freshman year had Mike Lewis and the famous "Freddie Lind" game and my graduating class included Randy Denton, Dick DeVenzio, and Rick Katherman), I share many of the same sentiments, especially how truly blessed we are to have such a great history and tradition. It has truly been a great ride and we so fortunate to have so many great people (not just great coaches or great players, but great people) associated with our university.

Grey Devil

MarkD83
02-11-2011, 10:29 PM

You absolutely made a difference. And by the way, my son and I were wondering around K-ville before the game watching the crazies and soaking up the atmosphere. We were standing near the front of the line and then everyone from tent 1 (I think) got in a circle and one student wearing a number 12 jersey was getting everyone pumped up. If that was you great job. You got my son and I pumped up as well.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Oh, indeed I would. I consider it broughten.

And I cannot say enough how important this was. As I always to Viking Guy, its easy to scream and cheer after a thunderous dunk or a back-breaking three by Duke... but its more important to go bat-sh** crazy when the boys are getting knocked back a little (or in last night's first half a lot!). Its most important to pick them up when they're down... and the Crazies did that last night. First time in a while, I'm not gonna lie. Again, I was proud.

Alright... enough of this love fest! The Crazies were way more creative/loud/funny back in my day... and Grant Hill served the beer... and Chris Duhon's little bro sat with us... and blah blah blah.

I have to prop this. I was watching the game from my room in a horrible Holiday Inn Express outside Miami. That hatable standard def TV barely distinguished True Blue from that other nonsense, and even I could tell that the Crazies were in rare form. Good job kids. You were worth 4+ points. You made a difference.

Wojo served the beer.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 12:34 AM
MULLET MAN and VIKING GUY..,.. I miss you!!!

We miss Us too.

dukebsbll14
02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
You absolutely made a difference. And by the way, my son and I were wondering around K-ville before the game watching the crazies and soaking up the atmosphere. We were standing near the front of the line and then everyone from tent 1 (I think) got in a circle and one student wearing a number 12 jersey was getting everyone pumped up. If that was you great job. You got my son and I pumped up as well.

Thanks, that was me! ahaha! It was tent 1 and tent 2 making the circle, with one person from each tent in the middle. Glad we got you guys pumped!

I just wanted to win so badly. My sister was '09 and I know a bunch of her friends and they never saw a win(vs UNC) in Cameron. I wasn't gonna let that happen to us if I there was anything I could do about it.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't know where you've been, but this has been one of the best years for the crazies....especially in the OOC season....it was pretty much just the BC game where people didn't show.....maybe we haven't been as super coordinated as years past, but its been loud
Have to agree with this. Notable Crazie alums across the nation have noticed. Personally, I was expecting you to be a bunch of complacent ... after grabbing a ring. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Y'all have teeth this year. Keep it up, never back down.

MulletMan
02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
It pleases me when you post.

And yes... I miss young us too. However, I will admit, there's no way my body could handle now, what we used to do then. Days after UNC games made me long for death... and that was when we won! Now I think that being on the floor and leading the section with you would kill me.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM

And yes... I miss young us too. However, I will admit, there's no way my body could handle now, what we used to do then. Days after UNC games made me long for death... and that was when we won! Now I think that being on the floor and leading the section with you would kill me.

Ha, we're old. That's funny.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Man, I use to love whenever we got to do this. It feels like calling in an airstrike.

Mike Corey
02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Man, I use to love whenever we got to do this. It feels like calling in an airstrike.

I love the smell of Cameron in the morning.

77devil
02-13-2011, 07:49 AM

I love the smell of Cameron in the morning.

It smells like.......victory.

throatybeard
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM

The older we get, the better we was.

Last home game I went to was Florida State in 2009. MM coaxed me downstairs for the 2H. (He was retired by this point, but still ushering). The game was close and I was worried we'd lose, but I was far more worried I'd have an infarction jumping around and attempting to yell, but really sounding like Old Jewish Man on The Simpsons.

Cameron is a young man's sport.

PS - Big Tall Backwards Hat Guy served the beer

Viking Guy
02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
The older we get, the better we was.

Last home game I went to was Florida State in 2009. MM coaxed me downstairs for the 2H. (He was retired by this point, but still ushering). The game was close and I was worried we'd lose, but I was far more worried I'd have an infarction jumping around and attempting to yell, but really sounding like Old Jewish Man on The Simpsons

I'm sorry, but exactly how is this different from your performance in 2001-2005? :D

I keed! I keed! I'm make jokes for you!

throatybeard
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry, but exactly how is this different from your performance in 2001-2005?

About fifty pounds, that's how.