PDA

View Full Version : Where does this Duke-UNC game rank?

Andre Buckner Fan
02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't know if the "Nolan Comeback" game is one of the Top 5 games in the rivalry, but it could very well be in the Top 10 all time.

Discuss, post personal lists, argue. :cool:

Andre Buckner Fan
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
#1: March 2, 1968: #10 Duke 87, #3 North Carolina 86 (3OT)

You can't really top three OT.

#2: March 3, 1984: #1 North Carolina 96, Duke 83 (2OT)

Michael Jordan's last rivalry game. Two OT. Good game.

#3: February 5, 1992: #9 North Carolina 75, #1 Duke 73

Blood. Broken bones. Hard fought.

#4: February 4, 2004: #1 Duke 83, #17 North Carolina 81 (OT)

Duhon's reverse lay up in OT is still one of my favorite moments of a Duke game.

#5: March 6, 2010: #4 Duke 82, North Carolina 50

A humiliating beat down for the ages.

- - -

#6: February 2, 1995: #2 North Carolina 102, Duke 100 (2OT)

Sooooo close.

#7: February 28, 1998: #1 Duke 77, #3 North Carolina 75

Elton Brand heals foot. Heals team. (Kyrie take notes. :))

#8: February 9, 2011: #5 Duke 79, #21 North Carolina 73

Nolan's Comeback Special with a side of Curry.

#9: February 1, 2001: #4 North Carolina 85, #2 Duke 83

I was there. IT hurt. A lot.

#10: March 4, 2006: #13 North Carolina 83, #1 Duke 76

Most viewed college basketball game ever. UNC ruined JJ's senior night.

Honorable Mention: March 4, 2007: #8 North Carolina 86, #14 Duke 72

Hansbrough ran his nose into Henderson's innocent elbow.

Starter
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Your list is excellent. My only quarrel -- having been there, I'd bump the Elton Brand comeback game up a few notches, at least over the Duhon game. I'm glad you mentioned the one they lost in 2001; I was there as well, and it was a superb game, despite the result.

I might add the other game in 2001, the game after Boozer broke his foot and K threw the three-headed center monster of Sanders/Matt C./Love at Brendan Haywood, Duhon started and they ran UNC out of the Smith Center. I went to that one too, and on the way to the game, I had guys in cars with UNC flags on them pass my car with a Duke sticker on the back window and start gloating preemptively -- I'd imagine their tone changed as the day went. That game proved they still had what it took to win the National Title, and maybe even that they were more equipped than they had been previously. It also constituted, in my opinion, hands-down Krzyzewski's finest coaching job since I matriculated in 1997 outside of last year's title run. Given the circumstances, it probably surpassed last year.

BD80
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
It is certainly in the top 100!

I would suggest there are six on your list that do not belong.

9F!

monkey
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM

#3: February 5, 1992: #9 North Carolina 75, #1 Duke 73

Blood. Broken bones. Hard fought.

#4: February 4, 2004: #1 Duke 83, #17 North Carolina 81 (OT)

Duhon's reverse lay up in OT is still one of my favorite moments of a Duke game.

#5: March 6, 2010: #4 Duke 82, North Carolina 50

A humiliating beat down for the ages.

- - -

#6: February 2, 1995: #2 North Carolina 102, Duke 100 (2OT)

Sooooo close.

#7: February 28, 1998: #1 Duke 77, #3 North Carolina 75

Elton Brand heals foot. Heals team. (Kyrie take notes. :))

#8: February 9, 2011: #5 Duke 79, #21 North Carolina 73

Nolan's Comeback special.

#9: February 1, 2001: #4 North Carolina 85, #2 Duke 83

I was there. IT hurt. A lot.

#10: March 4, 2006: #13 North Carolina 83, #1 Duke 76

Most viewed college basketball game ever. UNC ruined JJ's senior night.

Honorable Mention: March 4, 2007: #8 North Carolina 86, #14 Duke 72

Hansbrough ran his nose into Henderson's innocent elbow.

Pretty good list but there is just no way the game in which Caple's shot sent us in to double overtime in a year where we go 13-18 and they have Sheed and Stackhouse only makes number 6 on the list. A lot of people would put it at number 1 and I would definitely put it above 4 and 5. Can't speak to the 3OT game since it was before my time but based on the score and the 3OT, I'm sure it was incredible.

Olympic Fan
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Not a bad list, although like starter, I'd agree that the 1998 comeback game should be higher -- like last night, Duke rallied from a 16-point deficit, but that one was in the final 11 minutes (and against a MUCH better UNC team).

You've forgotten a few really great ones too:

-- The 2005 win in Cameron over UNC's national title team, when JJ's defensive play prevented UNC from getting off a potential game-winning shot.
-- The 2001 game in Chapel Hill, three days after Boozer's broken foot when a heavily underdog Duke team unveiled its new style and blitzed UNC to win a share of the ACC regular season title (which made up for a lot of the pain from the earlier game in Durham).
-- The consecutive ACC title games in 1988 and 1989 which were both absolute wars decided in the final seconds; the 2000 OT win in Chapel Hill
-- The Gene Banks senior day OT win
-- The 7-0 Airball Game
-- The 1984 ACC Tournament semifinal win over Michael Jordan and company
-- The Robbie West game on the day Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed Cameron
Damn, just too many to rank them all ... and I've only focused on those from a Duke point of view. If I was a Carolina guy, I'd talk about the 2005 comeback win in Chapel Hill or the Walter Davis game in 1974 (down eight with 17 seconds left and won).
I've only touched the surface ... so many great games. It's why Duke-Carolina is what it is.

PS I do agree that the 1968 Freddy Lind game should be No. 1 on any list. Just an unbelievable performance by a guy who was buried at the end of the bench (he had scored 12 points all season when he entered the UNC regular season finale and dominated No. 2 ranked UNC).

diveonthefloor
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Not a bad list, although like starter, I'd agree that the 1998 comeback game should be higher -- like last night, Duke rallied from a 16-point deficit, but that one was in the final 11 minutes (and against a MUCH better UNC team).

The 1981 game was so special because we beat an incredibly good and highly ranked UNC team (the eventual nat champion.)
Duke had a young coach in his first year at Duke, a good tough player in Banks, and a bunch of role players.
To me, this was the sweetest win.

throatybeard
02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd say last night was middle-high. Probably good enough to get on ESPNC now and then, but not top ten. What last night's game has going for it is obvious. Here's what it doesn't.

1) The comeback was complete with almost ten minutes left in the game.

2) We were favored by ten and should never have been down by sixteen in the first place. I'm always amazed that UNC fans brag about the 1974 game. That's bragging about beating one of the worst Duke teams ever. They never should have been down 8 with 0:17 to play, at all. So comebacks are, or should be less noteworthy when you were a double-digit favorite coming in.

3) Carolina's good, and could beat us, and I think will in Chapel Hill, and I suppose they could pop off in the NCAAT and make me eat my words. But. I don't think 2011 is going down in the annals of the memorable North Carolina teams. They've spent quite a portion of the season unranked. Why are Duke fans still watching a double OT loss on ESPNC sixteen years later? It's not just Capel's shot. That UNC team went to the FF and boasted two future NBA all-stars, and we were 0-7. That's amazing.

4) All this could be boosted if there were some other factor--winning an ACCT over them, a Krzyzewski milestone like wins #500 and #600, breaking a losing streak to them. But there wasn't.*

So a good time was had by all, very rousing, thanks Nolan and Seth. But not top 10. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see it again next February on ESPNC.

* - ETA. Well, it was our 100th win over UNC MBB. So there's that.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
or the Walter Davis game in 1974 (down eight with 17 seconds left and won).

I'm always amazed that UNC fans brag about the 1974 game. That's bragging about beating one of the worst Duke teams ever. They never should have been down 8 with 0:17 to play, at all.
You had to bring that up. Y'all just had to bring that game up. I could have gone all day and not thought about that game. I could have gone all year and not thought about that game. But noooooooooooooooooooooo, you had to bring it up. Sheeeesh. Thanks a lot. For nothing. :mad:

magjayran
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I think that Feb. 3 2000 game in Chapel Hill is often overlooked in these discussions.

pfrduke
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I think that Feb. 3 2000 game in Chapel Hill is often overlooked in these discussions.

It's overlooked in part for some of the reasons tbeard discussed above - we were number 3 and Carolina was unranked (yes, they ended up making a FF that year, but it was as an 8 seed). I remember watching that game in the dorms and being insanely frustrated about why we weren't putting away a team that we were much better than. The return visit in Cameron was much more comfortable.

Reilly
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM

-- The .... ACC title game[] in 1988 .....

65-61 all-out war. UNC was regular season champs and would make the Elite 8. Duke going for the "triple crown" sweep of Carolina (one team can't beat another three times in a season yada yada). I saw a Rams Head Club member take a swing at a Duke student rushing the floor post-game. For three days, the Rams Head members were seated in the section right next to the Duke students behind the basket: three days of all-out verbal assault, culminating with the tremendous championship game.

The game the week before -- senior day in Cameron -- was also special. Game was tied at halftime, and Duke scored 60 -- yes, 10 more than last night's second half onslaught -- in the 2d half to win by 15.

The Gordog
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM

9F!

+1 :D

I can not consider any game where a highly ranked Duke team loses to be a "classic" of any sort, but I am open to other people putting the 1995 game on theirs. The other 5 just do not belong in any way shape or form. IOW, I would put last year's beat down #1 on my list.

dukelifer
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
The 1981 game was so special because we beat an incredibly good and highly ranked UNC team (the eventual nat champion.)
Duke had a young coach in his first year at Duke, a good tough player in Banks, and a bunch of role players.
To me, this was the sweetest win.

81 has to be on that list. That UNC team almost won the NC that year and they won it the next year. That game had a last second miracle rainbow shot by a senior on senior night to tie- actually one senior Dennard threw it in to the other senior Banks and Banks hit the shot over Perkins to send the game into overtime - and then Banks hit the winning basket to beat UNC 66-65. That was a game- maybe even top 5.

miramar
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I like #7 more than #4. It did not go into OT, but we had a huge comeback in the second half, 17 points IIRC, botched free throw attempts at the end, suffering parents (in a wheelchair, no less), you name it.

I know that Brand was not too sad to leave Duke, but I guess we missed him more than he missed us.

wsb3
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Interesting topic, however no game in which Duke loses to UNC can possibly be in my top ten. I don't care if the game goes 7 overtimes and the score is UNC 173 Duke 172 1/2.:cool:

I do agree the Gene says Good-Bye game must be included.

wsb3
02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
65-61 all-out war. UNC was regular season champs and would make the Elite 8. Duke going for the "triple crown" sweep of Carolina (one team can't beat another three times in a season yada yada). I saw a Rams Head Club member take a swing at a Duke student rushing the floor post-game. For three days, the Rams Head members were seated in the section right next to the Duke students behind the basket: three days of all-out verbal assault, culminating with the tremendous championship game.

The game the week before -- senior day in Cameron -- was also special. Game was tied at halftime, and Duke scored 60 -- yes, 10 more than last night's second half onslaught -- in the 2d half to win by 15.

That was a huge game and to beat a really good UNC team for the third time.. Ferry and that rainbow 3.;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I like the Top Ten list from Duke Blue Planet. Kyle Singler presents the list from the K era on this video. One of my personal favs is #1.
http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/ (The list is the featured video at the time I pasted the link.)

Of course, if we opened the discussion to include the Bubas era, there could be some fine examples of classic rivalry games as well.

gam7
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
7. February 28, 1998: #1 Duke 77, #3 North Carolina 75[/B]

Elton Brand heals foot. Heals team. (Kyrie take note.)

... And then comes back for his sophomore year. :)

hq2
02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
This was a great comeback, but not quite as dramatic as the Elton game. In that one, the
comeback was over the last 10 minutes or so when it really looked like Duke was going to lose,
and Elton did it just about all by himself, as I recall. Still, this was a classic; there have been
so many incredible Duke Carolina games, that this one might make the top 20. Don't quite
see it in the top ten.

Sir Stealth
02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I remember wanting to win the 1998 game in Cameron more than any other game before or since. That was the year that Duke made it back to true "elite elite" status. We were blowing other teams off the floor all year long. Carolina was equally elite, and, when we faced them as #1 when they were #2, they blew us out of the Dean Dome. They were very cocky about it too, and I think I remember an off the backboard pass for a Vince Carter dunk. I absolutely detested that Carolina team more than I have any team in any sport, and the fact that Duke and UNC had arguably the two best teams that year took the intensity to a whole different level - we could not go down to them in Cameron.

We absolutely had to have that game. To go down big and have it all happening again was too much to bear. The comeback was phenomenal, and the Wojo run to hug K was one of the great moments in Duke history. I'll always think of it as the Wojo game because of that, and it feels weird for people to focus on Brand or his return (he didn't seem nearly as dominant post-injury that season as he had before). I do remember Roshown McLeod getting by Antawn Jamison for the winning basket.

That one is Number 1 in my mind. I would probably place last night's higher than some due to the comeback as well. It wasn't the same as a 1 vs. 2 caliber kind of game, but when your team is getting run away from by UNC, it is a horrific feeling. To have the grit and willpower to claw back into a game when that is happening and pull out the win is extremely gratifying.

gam7
02-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I remember wanting to win the 1998 game in Cameron more than any other game before or since. That was the year that Duke made it back to true "elite elite" status. We were blowing other teams off the floor all year long. Carolina was equally elite, and, when we faced them as #1 when they were #2, they blew us out of the Dean Dome. They were very cocky about it too, and I think I remember an off the backboard pass for a Vince Carter dunk. I absolutely detested that Carolina team more than I have any team in any sport, and the fact that Duke and UNC had arguably the two best teams that year took the intensity to a whole different level - we could not go down to them in Cameron.

We absolutely had to have that game. To go down big and have it all happening again was too much to bear. The comeback was phenomenal, and the Wojo run to hug K was one of the great moments in Duke history. I'll always think of it as the Wojo game because of that, and it feels weird for people to focus on Brand or his return (he didn't seem nearly as dominant post-injury that season as he had before). I do remember Roshown McLeod getting by Antawn Jamison for the winning basket.

That one is Number 1 in my mind. I would probably place last night's higher than some due to the comeback as well. It wasn't the same as a 1 vs. 2 caliber kind of game, but when your team is getting run away from by UNC, it is a horrific feeling. To have the grit and willpower to claw back into a game when that is happening and pull out the win is extremely gratifying.

I attended the 1998 Final Four and have to admit that it was very satisfying to see that Carolina team lose to the Michael-Doleac-and-Andre-Miller-led Utah Utes. I also attended the 1997 Final Four, so I was there to witness Carolina lose to the eventual National Champion Arizona Wildcats.

Rogue
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
My fav was the 7-0 Air Ball,, and that it was Senior day/night at Cameron for Jim Spanarkel. He was one of my all time favs.

Some don't recall, but the first time I remember DEAN-O letting the air out of the ball against Duke,, 1966, ACC Tourney.. Mike Lewis hits two big free throws to win the game 21-20. ( well that's the way I remember it anyway.. )

But the one that had me the most excited was the Tinkerbell ( GENE GENE, the DUNKIN MACHINE BANKS,) hits a last second shot to beat Carolina in Cameron on Sr Day.

Sir Stealth
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I attended the 1998 Final Four and have to admit that it was very satisfying to see that Carolina team lose to the Michael-Doleac-and-Andre-Miller-led Utah Utes. I also attended the 1997 Final Four, so I was there to witness Carolina lose to the eventual National Champion Arizona Wildcats.

Yes, thank you Utah. We should've been there though. That Kentucky game was as brutal as any in Duke's history.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Valid suggestion. What are your top ten?

Olympic Fan
02-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Some don't recall, but the first time I remember DEAN-O letting the air out of the ball against Duke,, 1966, ACC Tourney.. Mike Lewis hits two big free throws to win the game 21-20. ( well that's the way I remember it anyway.. )

But the one that had me the most excited was the Tinkerbell ( GENE GENE, the DUNKIN MACHINE BANKS,) hits a last second shot to beat Carolina in Cameron on Sr Day.

Your memory is close. It was 20-20 when big Mike went to the line with two shots with four seconds left. He missed the first (he said later that he choked), then nailed the second one to give Duke the 21-20 win.

As for the Tinkerbell Senior Day game in 1981, Duke was down two with two seconds left with the ball under the UNC basket. Kenny Dennard threw the ball to Chip Engelland at midcourt and he got a timeout called with one second left. Dennard again made the inbounds after the TO, getting it to Gene Banks just inside the top of the key. He was able to catch and turn and shoot just before the buzzer -- his shot arching just over Sam Perkins' outstretched arm.

You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV1B2Bp0EIg

But that shot only forced overtime. Banks then scored six of Duke's eight points in OT, getting the game-winner on a follow shot with 12 seconds left. The final was 66-65 with Banks scoring 24 for the Devils.

ThePublisher
02-11-2011, 02:20 AM
The game wednesday night was by far the best! It's the only one I've ever been to. My first experience with a truly crazy crowd. Plus I went with my best friend, my dad, and got lucky to get tickets. It was amazing. It's only behind the birth of my son as awesome things I've witnessed in my life.
That's why it's my number one.

wsb3
02-11-2011, 04:47 AM

That group of UNC players actually turned off some of their fans with their behavior. I remember one gym buddy in particular saying I hope they all leave early for the NBA.

Udaman
02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I love threads like this. Here are my takes. First top 10:

10. Duke 66 - UNC 65 (OT). Home game 1980. As other said, it was Banks's last game (and the first year of Coach K), and he hit a great shot at the end of the game to send it to OT...where we won. Banks finished with 24 points, and ended his season on an incredible note.

9. Duke 79 - UNC 73. 2011. Yep, I would put this game up there. Down 14 at the half. Biggest come back from a half time deficit in 50 years. That amazing 15 minute stretch to start the 2nd half. What I loved, is that as soon as we went up...even with lots of time left....that game was over. UNC was like a fighter that was dominating and all cocky, and then got knocked down, and from then on was terrified. It was great to watch. Just knowing that their fans were feeling it too....awesome!

8. Duke77 - UNC 75 . ACC Tournament Semi-Final 1984. This was the Dawkins, Alarie, etc's class in their Sophomore year. We had played the Michael Jordan / Sam Perkins / Kenny Smith team tight the two other games, including a double OT loss at UNC to finish the season. Carolina was ranked #1, and we beat them in a great game to make it to our first ACC championship game under Coach K. It was the beginning of everything. And...UNC went on to lose to Indiana in the Sweet 16 in a huge choke...having never gotten over their loss to us.

7. UNC 102 - Duke 100. Double OT. Middle season game in Cameron. Yeah, yeah, it was a great game, and Capel hit that shot...but we still lost. I can't put a Duke loss to my arch rival anywhere in the top 5, even if it was a super game.

6. Duke 83 - UNC 77. 1991. Final season game in Dean Dome. This one isn't on a lot of people's radar...but it was the Senior game for Rick Fox, King Rice and Pete Chilcutt, three of my most hated Tar Holes....and we went in there and beat them. Loved it.

5. Duke 80 - UNC 73. 1997. First home game in series. Another one not on many people's radar....but UNC had beaten us 7 times in a row. We were tired of it. We had struggled for two years....and this was the game that we needed. And we got it. Cameron was rocking.

4. Duke 82, UNC 74, 1986. Final season game in Cameron. It was #1 versus #3. This was before ESPN, and we didn't have that many games on national TV...but this one was, and everyone watched. And it was a terrific, terrific game. UNC shot 64%, and lost. We had 20 assists for the game, they had 19. We forced them into 22 turnovers. There was a rivalry before...but after this game it was what everyone talked about before all of our games - what a huge rivalry this had become.

3. Duke 96 - UNC 81. 1988. Final season game in Cameron. This was my 2nd time being in Cameron for the Carolina game (my Sophomore year). The game was technically the Sunday of the first weekend of Spring Break...and the weather had been great for camping out (back then, we only camped out about 2-3 days). The score was tied at the half. To start the 2nd half, Duke scored a 3, then a 2, then Carolina scored a 2, then we hit another 3, then stole the ball and scored another 2, then stole the inbounds pass, got a layup and a foul. All in 2:30 seconds. It was a 12-2 run, and Dean Smith did what he NEVER did, and call a timeout before a TV timeout. It was the loudest I have EVER heard Cameron. The students jumped up and yelled so much during the timeout that the band apparently played Devil with a Blue Dress on, and you couldn't hear it...at all...in never quieted down. I literally thought the roof would come off. We would later go on to beat them in the ACC championship for the Triple Crown - the first time we had ever beaten them 3 times in one year.

2. Duke 83 - UNC 81. OT. 2004. First game of season, in Dean Dome. Duhon's reverse layup sealed it.

1. Duke 77 - UNC 75. 1998. Final home game of regular season. The Wojo game. The Elton Brand is back game. An incredible come back (down 16 in the second half). UNC had destroyed us at the Dean Dome earlier in the year, when we were ranked #1. It was just a great, great game.

And as for the most heart wrenching....

UNC 75 - Duke 73. Final regular season game in Dean Dome. This game still gets me. I hate complaining about the refs....but at the end of the game, Duke went up by 6 or so (after being down 7 at the half), and suddenly the refs swallowed their whistles. There's a great picture of Shelden Williams getting absolutely manhandled by Sean May (reaching over his back, all over him, hands barely on the ball), and they called it a jump ball. We deserved to win that game. I still get furious writing about it.

UNC 99 - Duke 86. Last game of regular season Dean Dome. That was our lost year...and even though we played good teams well, in that game we got stomped....and it was another game where we led at the half (up by 6). In the 2nd half Wojo had to go in for a few minutes and got abused. At the end, McInnis tried a backboard pass for a dunk to Wallace. I hated that UNC team, more than I have any other. HATED.

UnC 83 - Duke 76. 2006. Senior Day for JJ and Shelden. Yuck.

UNC 76 - Duke 68. 2008. Senior Day for Nelson. We had beaten UNC at UNC earlier, but Lawson was hurt....and they talked a lot of smack before coming into Cameron...then pretty much dominated us the entire game.

UNC 101 - Duke 87. 2009. Mid-season game in Cameron. We were ranked #6, they were #3. We were up 8 at the half....and then they absolutely destroyed us. Outscored us by 22 in the 2nd half.

Kfanarmy
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM

There are Carolina wins here. MASSIVE FAIL

BD80
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Valid suggestion. What are your top ten?

I would rank them:

February 29, 1964 Duke (4) 104 UNC (NR) 69 Woollen Gym
March 6, 2010 Duke (4) 82 UNC (NR) 50 Cameron Indoor Stadium
January 31, 2002 Duke (1) 87 UNC (NR) 58 Dean Smith Center
March 11, 2001 Duke (3) 79 UNC (6) 53 ACC Tournament
March 3, 2002 Duke (3) 93 UNC (NR) 68 Cameron Indoor Stadium
March 7, 1999 Duke (1) 96 UNC (15) 73 ACC Tournament
February 27, 1999 Duke (1) 81 UNC (14) 61 Dean Smith Center
March 15, 1992 Duke (1) 94 UNC (20) 74 ACC Tournament
January 19, 1985 Duke (2) 93 UNC (6) 77 Carmichael Auditorium
March 6, 1988 Duke (9) 96 UNC (6) 81 Cameron Indoor Stadium

With a special shout out to the first half shut out:

February 24, 1979 Duke (6) 47 UNC (4) 40 Cameron Indoor Stadium

Rogue
02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Your memory is close. It was 20-20 when big Mike went to the line with two shots with four seconds left. He missed the first (he said later that he choked), then nailed the second one to give Duke the 21-20 win.

As for the Tinkerbell Senior Day game in 1981, Duke was down two with two seconds left with the ball under the UNC basket. Kenny Dennard threw the ball to Chip Engelland at midcourt and he got a timeout called with one second left. Dennard again made the inbounds after the TO, getting it to Gene Banks just inside the top of the key. He was able to catch and turn and shoot just before the buzzer -- his shot arching just over Sam Perkins' outstretched arm.

You can see it here:

But that shot only forced overtime. Banks then scored six of Duke's eight points in OT, getting the game-winner on a follow shot with 12 seconds left. The final was 66-65 with Banks scoring 24 for the Devils.

It's a shame so many great fans here can't know of some of the greatest Duke players other than from the older members.. That vidieo is awesome.

We live in an internet world now and the players from the 80's 90's and this decade are well known and remembered ,, AS THEY SHOULD BE.. but as most know, in the 50's -70's a team HAD to win the ACC tourney to even get to the Dance.. and then Duke was always in the East,, which back then, had more storied programs,, St Johns, Syracuse, etc..
I know that because most here never saw the Vic Bubas/ Bill Foster ( omitting Bucky Watters lol ) teams and players,, their games with Carolina won't be listed,, but they were just as good.. Thanks for sharing the vidieo of Banks, ( next decade , the late 70's early 80's )

I'd love to see Jeff Mullins Shot before half time in the simi finals against Michigan that went in from mid court and Duke advanced to the Championship game.
My dad use to tell me that Bubas had to take Mullins out of games so Heyman could get his points lol..

hq2
02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
s for the Tinkerbell Senior Day game in 1981, Duke was down two with two seconds left with the ball under the UNC basket. Kenny Dennard threw the ball to Chip Engelland at midcourt and he got a timeout called with one second left. Dennard again made the inbounds after the TO, getting it to Gene Banks just inside the top of the key. He was able to catch and turn and shoot just before the buzzer -- his shot arching just over Sam Perkins' outstretched arm.

Ah, Gene's shot! What happy memories that brings back! Hard to believe that was 30 years ago. I've had people say who were at that game that no (non-personal) moment in their lives ever equaled that one for pure emotion. More than 8000 people
going completely crazy simultaneously. What a moment!

Olympic Fan
02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
It's a shame so many great fans here can't know of some of the greatest Duke players other than from the older members.. That vidieo is awesome.

We live in an internet world now and the players from the 80's 90's and this decade are well known and remembered ,, AS THEY SHOULD BE.. but as most know, in the 50's -70's a team HAD to win the ACC tourney to even get to the Dance.. and then Duke was always in the East,, which back then, had more storied programs,, St Johns, Syracuse, etc..
I know that because most here never saw the Vic Bubas/ Bill Foster ( omitting Bucky Watters lol ) teams and players,, their games with Carolina won't be listed,, but they were just as good.. Thanks for sharing the vidieo of Banks, ( next decade , the late 70's early 80's )

I'd love to see Jeff Mullins Shot before half time in the simi finals against Michigan that went in from mid court and Duke advanced to the Championship game.
My dad use to tell me that Bubas had to take Mullins out of games so Heyman could get his points lol..

Thanks for the shout-out, but I have to correct your memory just a little bit.

The Mullins' halfcourt shot occurred not against Michigan in the semifinals, but against Villanova in the Sweet 16 in Raleigh.

It was a huge game matching No. 3 Duke and No. 7 Villanova (the seedings were not balanced in those days). Villanova had a backcourt of future pros Wally Jones and Bill Melchionni (the older brother of future Duke star Gary Melchionni), plus future pro big man Jim Washington and a great scorer named Richie Moore.

The Wildcats were very cocky -- Melchionni told the Philly newspaper that Mullins wasn't much and Villanova would take the starch out of Duke.

well, Mullins scored 43 points, hitting 19 of 28 shots from the floor -- including the midcourt heave to beat the halftime buzzer. In addition, he guarded Richie Moore ('Nova's leading scorer) and held him to 4-of-12 shooting. Duke won easily 87-73.

Afterwards, Villanova coach Jack Craft was an ***, telling reporters, "actually, Mullins didn't have a good night. He made some mistakes out there."

Mullins followed with 30 points in the regional finals against UConn, coached by former Duke assistant Fred Shabel. The Huskies had upset Bill Bradley and Princeton the same night that Duke routed 'Nova.

While Mullins did play well in the Michigan win, the real credit for that one in the NCAA semifinals should go to center Jay Buckley, who was pushed around and intimidated when Duke lost to the Wolverines in December, but came out and kicked butt in the Final Four rematch.

dukelifer
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Ah, Gene's shot! What happy memories that brings back! Hard to believe that was 30 years ago. I've had people say who were at that game that no (non-personal) moment in their lives ever equaled that one for pure emotion. More than 8000 people
going completely crazy simultaneously. What a moment!

For your viewing pleasure- Old school Crazies going nuts- and a shot that was much like Laettner's but with less time.

I was there but up in the rafters. It was loud!

jv001
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM

-- The 2005 win in Cameron over UNC's national title team, when JJ's defensive play prevented UNC from getting off a potential game-winning shot.
-- The 2001 game in Chapel Hill, three days after Boozer's broken foot when a heavily underdog Duke team unveiled its new style and blitzed UNC to win a share of the ACC regular season title (which made up for a lot of the pain from the earlier game in Durham).
-- The consecutive ACC title games in 1988 and 1989 which were both absolute wars decided in the final seconds; the 2000 OT win in Chapel Hill
-- The 7-0 Airball Game
Damn, just too many to rank them all ... and I've only focused on those from a Duke point of view. If I was a Carolina guy, I'd talk about the 2005 comeback win in Chapel Hill or the Walter Davis game in 1974 (down eight with 17 seconds left and won).
I've only touched the surface ... so many great games. It's why Duke-Carolina is what it is.

PS I do agree that the 1968 Freddy Lind game should be No. 1 on any list. Just an unbelievable performance by a guy who was buried at the end of the bench (he had scored 12 points all season when he entered the UNC regular season finale and dominated No. 2 ranked UNC).

Was the 1974 game when Steve Gray dribbled the ball off his foot when he wasn't being guarded? I may be thinking of the State game. I can't put any unc win in my top Duke-unc games. You named some of my favorite games. Good job and Go Duke!

Monmouth77
02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Just putting in an extra plug for this one, which was my first UNC game in Cameron (and second game I camped out for-- the first being that awful home loss to Michigan on a Tractor Traylor dunk as time expired in Dec. '96).

We had lost 7 straight to the Heels and were really playing for pride. It was a team in transition that still featured a bunch of the guys who had struggled through the two prior difficult seasons (Ricky Price, Greg Newton, Jeff Capel). But this was also the first UNC game for Chris Carawell, Nate James and Roshown McLeod.

Though no one realized it at the time, it was Dean Smith's last game in Cameron.

And we were up against the sophomore version of the Jamison-Carter-Cota team that made the Final Four.

The game was close throughout, and Duke could not pull away until the last minute when Trajan Langdon seized victory with a huge three-pointer from the corner with the shot clock expiring. Langdon went for 28 and had his most clutch performance at Duke.

The victory also helped us win the ACC Regular Season, giving us a split with Carolina that proved the tiebreaker over Tim Duncan's senior year Wake team.

77devil
02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Was the 1974 game when Steve Gray dribbled the ball off his foot when he wasn't being guarded? I may be thinking of the State game.

Please, let's not go there.

wsb3
02-11-2011, 10:13 PM

-- The 7-0 Airball Game

I was a kid watching the Freddy Lind game and I remembered that he was an unlikely star that day but 12 points all year... I had no idea of that. Thanks..

Andre Buckner Fan
02-12-2011, 06:07 PM
There are Carolina wins [on your list]. MASSIVE FAIL

Attempting to be impartial. It's what separates us from the tarholes. :)