PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Tar Heel VS The Duke Chronicle

DukeBlueNV
02-09-2011, 05:55 PM
A war of words between the two school's newspapers...

Warning: It's quite obvious the Daily Tar Heel does not a have very clever writing staff so instead of trying to use their wit they substituted bad language instead.

http://deadspin.com/#!5756183/dear-pathetic-ignorant-twats-the-dukeunc-war-of-words-heats-up

Daniel tosh
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Why does this not surprise me?

ElSid
02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
whiny racist swear-laden smears with absolutely no hint of cleverness or creativity vs. duke's, which was actually quite good.

really happy with both of those letters, really. i think they're both really reflective of the quality of the institution. gthc gth.

DevilHorns
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I think that pretty much sums up Duke students vs UNC students.

4decadedukie
02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I would not be especially proud of Duke's letter, but the senseless vulgarity (no cleverness or wit about it) in UNC's annual epistle is simply appalling. Top universities are judged in many ways beyond the academic; however, a succession of questionable things -- Davis' simultaneous football scandals and UNC's lack of responsible, institutional corrective actions head my list -- including this Daily Tar Heel letter would both shame and anger me were if I were an influential UNC alumnus. Our beloved Uncle Terry had two UNC-CH degrees; given his famed avuncular letter's causes, I suspect that were he the UNC System's Chancellor today, those in leadership positions at the DTH, would be very chagrinned tomorrow.

diveonthefloor
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Don't sweat this stuff. It's merely satire and comedy.

Amazing, though, that the institution with a formal "J" school couldn't come up with anything more clever.

Dr. Tina
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow, that's the best stuff the Daily Tar Heel editor could come up with? Lame, vulgar, and not remotely witty...if you ask me.

rthomas
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Neither are very clever. I would hope both newspaper writers could do better than that.

On the whole both get a C.

cameroncrazy3104
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
haha my favorite part is "best from two North Carolina natives, who knew from a young age that we cound attend UNC---and the graduated the eighth grade"

CrazyNotCrazie
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I thought that Duke's generally was a lot funnier and classier than the Tar Hole letter, though I was not happy with our knock on Dean - in this rivalry, everything is generally fair game, but his illness really should be off limits. GTHC!

DevilHorns
02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought that Duke's generally was a lot funnier and classier than the Tar Hole letter, though I was not happy with our knock on Dean - in this rivalry, everything is generally fair game, but his illness really should be off limits. GTHC!

Agreed. Health issues should always be off limits.

northernduke
02-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Couldn't agree more. Coach Smith's illness should be completely off limits in this situation. It's a personal condition that has struck his family at its core, and is separate and distinct from the rivalry. Much the same way the condition of Debbie K was kept quiet and respected by the program.

devildeac
02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I would not be especially proud of Duke's letter, but the senseless vulgarity (no cleverness or wit about it) in UNC's annual epistle is simply appalling. Top universities are judged in many ways beyond the academic; however, a succession of questionable things -- Davis' simultaneous football scandals and UNC's lack of responsible, institutional corrective actions head my list -- including this Daily Tar Heel letter would both shame and anger me were if I were an influential UNC alumnus. Our beloved Uncle Terry had two UNC-CH degrees; given his famed avuncular letter's causes, I suspect that were he the UNC System's Chancellor today, those in leadership positions at the DTH, would be very chagrinned tomorrow.

Wonder what their beloved, misguided chancellor thought of their writing.:rolleyes:

-bdbd
02-10-2011, 12:53 AM

Agree 100%. I thought the Duke letter showed to be a lot more witty, funny, and the DTH one entirely crass and obnoxious. But I wouldn't want to send either one home to my mother!!

Can anyone in Durham on Thursday please scan and share the resultant DTH pages that come out of this wager? Much obliged!

4decadedukie
02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

It is satire and comedy -- BUT IT IS ALSO A PUBLIC REPRESENTATION OF THE UNIVERSITY, AND ONE THAT REFLECTS QUITE POORLY ON THE CHARACTER, INTELLECT AND VALUES OF UNC.

Duvall
02-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Can anyone in Durham on Thursday please scan and share the resultant DTH pages that come out of this wager? Much obliged!

DTH (http://www.scribd.com/doc/48551864/The-Daily-Tar-Heel-for-February-10-2011).

NovaScotian
02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
It is satire and comedy -- BUT IT IS ALSO A PUBLIC REPRESENTATION OF THE UNIVERSITY, AND ONE THAT REFLECTS QUITE POORLY ON THE CHARACTER, INTELLECT AND VALUES OF UNC.

you realize, right, that this was not intended for public consumption? also, that writing in all caps just makes any point you're trying to make come across as childish and belligerent? ok, just checking.

4decadedukie
02-10-2011, 08:14 AM
you realize, right, that this was not intended for public consumption? also, that writing in all caps just makes any point you're trying to make come across as childish and belligerent? ok, just checking.

It is on the Internet, which makes it as instantaneously and globally public as anything could be; need I say more? Would you like to wager concerning the likelihood of senior UNC officials receiving critical e-mail, letters, telephone calls and conversations because this DTH is so egregiously vulgar? Do you not believe it will not adversely impact donations or alumni support (admittedly to a minor degree)? I'm sure it will, based on decades of experience and leadership in these areas.

77devil
02-10-2011, 08:31 AM
you realize, right, that this was not intended for public consumption?

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, you do realize that we are living in the internet age. Anything not intended for public consumption, which is arguable in this instance notwithstanding the disclaimer, should not be put it in writing. Never.

I suppose those forward looking students at the DTH asking smart questions, who Chancellor Thorp was extolling, must have had a momentary lapse.

monkey
02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
DTH (http://www.scribd.com/doc/48551864/The-Daily-Tar-Heel-for-February-10-2011).

Maybe its just my browser but when I opened up the link the page was all messed up - did anyone else going over for their gloating look have a problem?

Billy Dat
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I guess I am in the minority here...I thought the Heels letter was better by quite a margin. I have no idea what the traditional guidelines are, but I am guessing that you are supposed to essentially rip the opposition a new one, no holds barred. The Heel letter had me at the opening, and hit a lot more of the traditional Duke insecurities then our letter. I also happen to dig well used profanity..well played, kids.

On a side note, I thought our letter delving into Dean Smith's dementia was quite low. Had they invoked Debbie K's recent malady, people on this borard would be calling for their paper to be shut down. I am glad we won the game, but I think the Heels won the letter.

hurleyfor3
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
The people writing these things are 20±1 years old, just I was when I was producing the same kind of content for The Chronicle. And I don't pretend to have done any better. One's sense of humor and understanding of the rivalry at that age is inchoate at best. I mean, back in 1989 unc was referring to "Queer Snyder" and "Danny Fairy". Was this any less clever?

Not that I excuse either side, but at least Duke doesn't have a J-school that's supposed to teach its writers these things.

jdj4duke
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Maybe its just my browser but when I opened up the link the page was all messed up - did anyone else going over for their gloating look have a problem?

Loaded ok the second time in Firefox. Not worth going to gloat, since they managed to work in a few other nasties. It's on the last page if you want to waste the time. They really are pretty puerile.

Surfsideron
02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
If you haven't see the two letters sent by each school's (Duke & UNC) newspaper editors to one another then you may not know what I'm talking about. Go to deadspin.com and read the letters.

The Chronicle editors made a poor joke concerning Dean Smith and his health issue but the Tar Heel editor's letter was as vile and racist as anyone could imagine.

But each school made a "bet" that the losing newspaper would feature the others banner on their next edition.

Did the Daily Tar Heel pay off?

stillcrazie
02-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I happened to pick up a copy of the Thursday, Feb 10 edition of the DTH and on the back page there is a Duke logo with the words: "We're really sorry about this, but newspapers have rivals, too. We lost a bet to The Chronicle, the rag of a paper at the school down the road. Shield your eyes."

bluepenguin
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Best lines of the deadspin reporter:
"Bonus points for UNC's chancellor taking a jab at K-ville on Twitter. Though judging from the letter, I'm not so convinced his students spend all their time asking smart questions and talking about the future."