PDA

View Full Version : "Nolan Smith: Bringing Showtime to Duke"

Lord Ash
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
A great article about Duke's PR attempts over the last few years and Nolan Smith... give it a look!
(http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201102/nolan-smith-bringing-showtime-duke)
We are SO lucky to have Nolan.

Greg_Newton
02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
That's awesome. Talk about high praise from K:

When I relayed the interaction to him, Krzyzewski acted as if he had just seen a similar encounter. "He's had more outward fun than any player we've had," he said, "and he's touched, in a very personal way, more people than anyone who's played here."

"Players on other teams, they all like Nolan. He's one of the really great people people that we've had in our program, and in that way, he's touched people in a different way. Maybe those people who want to look at something negative, they can see the program in different light. And the people who do support the program, and do love it, they also can see the program in a different light."

Lord Ash
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, believe it or not, that first quote from K actually made me ALMOST tear up. Nolan is clearly a kind, warm, friendly person who has deep connections all across the basketball world. You always see him greeting and chatting with guys from other teams, random players who you would never suspect Nolan would know but suddenly they are laughing and talking together, and you are left thinking 'Ah... ANOTHER person who knows Nolan!'

Devil07
02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
What a terrific article and thanks for posting! I really don't think we can overstate how valuable Nolan has been. The article talks about the ways in which he has helped change the public perception of the program, but what it doesn't talk about is how important he has been in helping Duke recruit. Simply put, Nolan is a person (and I intentionally put person here and not just player) who other players want to be around, and the way he takes the time to really develop relationships with younger players (think Quinn Cook) has made Duke an even more attractive destination for top players. He's certainly not the only reason, but I really do credit some of our recent recruiting success to the atmosphere that Nolan has helped make around the program. In that sense, Nolan will continue helping the program well beyond his four years. Nolan has been a terrific basketball player for us, but it's reading things like this that show that he has probably been even better off the court.

loran16
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
The article misses also the last thing I love about Nolan as illustrated by this tweet earlier:

AlexMurphy5: Just got the best txt from @NdotSmitty! A picture of his National Championship ring. "Come get one bro!"
(This was right after committing)

Nolan cares about the younger kids in his area as well as any other young kids who are interested in Duke...He's just an amazing Role Model.

Duke's had great players before, and we have at least one great player aside from Nolan in Kyle. But it's his acting as a role model and his outgoing personality that makes him truely special (not that Kyle doesn't have some of the same traits, but it's less seen by the outside world).

Mike Corey
02-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Terrific piece on Nolan by terrific former sports editor Ben Cohen.

Nolan will be very sorely missed in Durham; but he'll never be too far away, I suspect.

Dr. Tina
02-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting this article. It's a great read. I learned more about the origins of Blue Planet (which I go to at least once a day), and even more about Nolan. I think he is definitely one of the most personable players to come out of the Duke program. I love watching him on the court and seeing what he does in the Duke Hoop or Top Plays videos put out by BP. He's always smiling, unless you make him mad, and then he just goes crazy scoring nuts on everyone!

I think one of my favorite Nolan moments on BP was when he was interviewing Tyler Thornton, and he says..."I'm the big brother around here...(pumps out his chest)...I do big brother things!" The trio has said how he picks them up for practice and takes them out to eat on Sundays. You can tell he enjoys mentoring the younger guys, and it's great to see.

Also, I do think bring Blue Planet online was probably the best move the Duke basketball program has made media-wise. I just love learning about the program. It really makes you feel like you're a part of the team and you get to know the players much, much better. I also like the way Duke acknowledges everyone in the basketball program from the coaches and players to the administrative assistants and team managers. It's just total class.

delfrio
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
That really was a great feel-good and information-packed article. Not something you see too much of these days. Nolan's been my favorite since he joined the team, he'll leave big shoes to fill next year.

flyingdutchdevil
02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Amazing article. Nolan is the best ambassador that we could hope for. We are incredibly lucky to have him.

dukelilsis
02-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Great article! I have liked Nolan ever since he became a Blue Devil but my respect for him bounded even higher after I had my own Nolan Smith encounter shortly after we lost in the 2009 NCAA Tournament.

I had taken my parents to vist "The Promised Land" (aka the Duke campus). [My parents are older (79 and 83) and have been Duke fans for as many years. They love to talk about their years of being in Cameron watching Bob Verga fire shots from downtown and, though they haven't seen a game in Cameron since the Gminiski era, I don't think they've missed a televised game since.] As we walked towards Cameron, I noticed Henderson and Smith just ahead of us. Nolan stopped to talk to someone and Gerald walked on ahead towards Cameron. As Nolan turned to join Gerald, my mom gasped, "You're Nolan Smith!" Nolan ran over and immediately engaged both of my parents in a conversation and called Gerald back over. Much to the chagrin of my dad and myself, my mom, upon realizing it was Gerald Henderson, said, "He needs to stay!" and gave what I can only describe as the look of a mom issuing a decree on high. Nolan said, "Ooo! She's giving you that momma look!" Gerald was extremely nice. He laughed, made some polite small talk and excused himself. Nolan stayed behind, asked how long my parents had been following the team and thanked them for the years of support. As we parted ways, he turned back and said, "Ma'am! I just wanted to let you know that we're going to win the whole thing next year with or without G!"

How many kids do you know who would take that time for two "old people" that they don't know? He immediately became one of my favorite Duke players ever. Plus, he apparently cannot tell a like since we did, in fact, "win the whole thing"!:D

SupaDave
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
In a lot of ways I think Nolan is helping to fill the void left by Dawkins. JD is very much a part of Nolan and it all seems to click. I always liked to think of Coach K and Coach Dawkins as the heart and soul of Duke basketball. It now appears that Nolan is that soul and he's making sure that there will be plenty more to come...

OldPhiKap
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I would love to see Nolan as an assistant coach in a few years, after a long and fun NBA career.

Dr. Tina
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Great article! I have liked Nolan ever since he became a Blue Devil but my respect for him bounded even higher after I had my own Nolan Smith encounter shortly after we lost in the 2009 NCAA Tournament.

I had taken my parents to vist "The Promised Land" (aka the Duke campus). [My parents are older (79 and 83) and have been Duke fans for as many years. They love to talk about their years of being in Cameron watching Bob Verga fire shots from downtown and, though they haven't seen a game in Cameron since the Gminiski era, I don't think they've missed a televised game since.] As we walked towards Cameron, I noticed Henderson and Smith just ahead of us. Nolan stopped to talk to someone and Gerald walked on ahead towards Cameron. As Nolan turned to join Gerald, my mom gasped, "You're Nolan Smith!" Nolan ran over and immediately engaged both of my parents in a conversation and called Gerald back over. Much to the chagrin of my dad and myself, my mom, upon realizing it was Gerald Henderson, said, "He needs to stay!" and gave what I can only describe as the look of a mom issuing a decree on high. Nolan said, "Ooo! She's giving you that momma look!" Gerald was extremely nice. He laughed, made some polite small talk and excused himself. Nolan stayed behind, asked how long my parents had been following the team and thanked them for the years of support. As we parted ways, he turned back and said, "Ma'am! I just wanted to let you know that we're going to win the whole thing next year with or without G!"

How many kids do you know who would take that time for two "old people" that they don't know? He immediately became one of my favorite Duke players ever. Plus, he apparently cannot tell a like since we did, in fact, "win the whole thing"!:D

That is such an awesome story! I would love to meet Nolan.

superdave
02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
This might be the best thread we've ever had on this board. I know all the stories about Nolan, all the stuff in print that we know defines him. I hope some day he finds his way into coaching or education where he can mentor young men.

Greg_Newton
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I would love to see Nolan as an assistant coach in a few years, after a long and fun NBA career.

I was just thinking the same thing... I don't know how likely that is after a long NBA career, but man, would he tear up the recruiting trail!

NSDukeFan
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
This might be the best thread we've ever had on this board. I know all the stories about Nolan, all the stuff in print that we know defines him. I hope some day he finds his way into coaching or education where he can mentor young men.

I agree it is a great thread about a great young man. From the sounds of things, it doesn't sound like Nolan needs to find his way into coaching or education to mentor young men.

g-money
02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I realize this belongs in a different thread, but can we please find a way to get Nolan Smith's jersey in the rafters?

billyj
02-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Lets get not too ahead of ourselves? Nolan has come a long way, and I love him for what he brings every night. But I think to retire his jersey on the rafters, he probably need to add a little more to his resume. I am not saying it's impossible.

Back to the topic, Showtime Smith is in the house tonight.

basket1544
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Lets get not too ahead of ourselves? Nolan has come a long way, and I love him for what he brings every night. But I think to retire his jersey on the rafters, he probably need to add a little more to his resume. I am not saying it's impossible.

Yeah, like 2000 points, National Player of the Year, and Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four... all doable I'm starting to believe.

Greg_Newton
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM

I'm not sure if it's out of the question if Nolan gets first-team A-A, ACC POY, and becomes the first player in ACC history to lead the conference in points and assists.

I think his personality and intangible effect he's had the program's turnaround - as detailed in the article - might be what puts him over the top in an unconventional way. Hearing how K talks about him makes me believe there's a chance.

Lord Ash
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
You know what moment really sticks out for me for Nolan?

The whole Titanic skit.

Not only was it one of the funniest things I've EVER seen in sports, it also showed two other points that I thought were important.

First, Nolan was completely ready and willing to throw himself "out there" as a target in order to get a laugh. Obviously he knew it was outrageous and would get a TON of attention, and yet he didn't care, and in fact went with it. I think that the general love Nolan gets from basketball players maybe helped him with this, as he probably knew a lot of guys who know Nolan would simply get a kick out of it.

Second, I thought it was really... well, "brave?"... to do that when you reflect on two cultures that are important to Nolan and in his world; first, African-American culture, which has had some very deep struggles with the issue homosexuality, and the athlete/basketball culture, which has CERTAINLY had some struggles with the issue of homosexuality. But Nolan, being the confident guy that he is, was completely willing to tackle both of these head on with what ended up being a really jaw dropping (in a GOOD way) skit.

Anyway... I always thought the "Draw me in my ice" skit was more than just a funny skit, but also a bit of a telling moment about Nolan, his confidence, and his willingness to go places other people might not feel comfortable going.

superdave
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Sporting News article (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2011-02/dukenorth-carolina/story/nolan-smith-adds-common-sounding-name-to-national-player-of-the-year-race)on NPOY race.