PDA

View Full Version : Larry Drew: UCLA

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I just heard on WTVD 11 (Raleigh/Durham) that Larry DrewII was going to UCLA. The sports announcer said, Mrs Drew had put out that information. However, the folks at UCLA did not comment, because LD2, had not signed the letter of commit yet.

If that is true, and LD2, is entering another D1 school, he will have to sit out 2011/12 season, and not get to play again until 2012/13.

Whatever LD2 wants..... thats great!!!

HAVE you seen pictures of his beautiful girlfriend Bria Murphy? (Eddie Murphy's daughter). She is the new Face of Dark and Lovely hair color products. When I was at the grocery store earlier, I picked up an Ebony magazine, and her advertisement was on one of the first 10 pages. She is absolutely stunning. (19 or 20 yrs olds, I believe, but looks like her Mother (former model), and not her father, Eddie).

Good Luck Larry!

duketaylor
02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Good luck to LD2, nothing quite like quitting on your team in the middle of the season, a sure sign of class. There's a reason why some of us used to call unc the "university of no class." Party on Garth.
9F9F9F9F9F!!!!!

shoutingncu
02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
If this is true, more power to him. He will be reuniting with the Wears, and can take a look at the old team photo with Brian Morrison on it. Not sure where Adam Boone ended up.

pfrduke
02-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Not sure where Adam Boone ended up.

Minnesota.

kong123
02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Looks like UCLA is in no hurry to rebuild. I can understand picking up the Wears, but after watching Drew for 3 years and after seeing the way he quit, why would anyone want him? UCLA must really be desperate?

miramar
02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
If this is true, more power to him. He will be reuniting with the Wears, and can take a look at the old team photo with Brian Morrison on it. Not sure where Adam Boone ended up.

I remember seeing Morrison on TV with the Bruins, and it took me a while to figure out who he was since he seemed to have aged 10 years after getting out of Chapel Hill. Leaving UNC may be more stressful than it appears.

4decadedukie
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I am surprised that LA bound Drew-II didn't opt for UCLA's cross-town rival, "The University of Spoiled Children," since there is such an obvious and strong fit (my sincere apologies to SoCal for this "cheap shot.").

jdk
02-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Looks like UCLA is in no hurry to rebuild. I can understand picking up the Wears, but after watching Drew for 3 years and after seeing the way he quit, why would anyone want him? UCLA must really be desperate?

Speculation was, Drew waited to see where high-ranking recruits might end up before quitting. I don't follow recruiting that much, but maybe UCLA missed on key targets, and Drew is a stop-gap. They get a senior guard who has been to the national championship, only have to put up with him for a year, and can focus on batting a home-run with the next year's class?

TampaDuke
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Read somewhere that if Drew attended a school on a quarter system, he could play at the end of next year. IIRC, UCLA is on a quarter system, so that might be a significant motivating factor in his school choice, in addition to his roots in California.

Bluedog
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Read somewhere that if Drew attended a school on a quarter system, he could play at the end of next year. IIRC, UCLA is on a quarter system, so that might be a significant motivating factor in his school choice, in addition to his roots in California.

Wow, that would make a big difference. Here is the NCAA wording:

Sitting out — or academic year in residence — Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring...To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2010.pdf

Just looked up UCLA's calendar. Their Spring quarter begins Monday, March 28, 2011. Next year, the winter quarter ends Friday, March 23, 2012. So he could start playing after that, meaning he'd only be eligible for the Final Four essentially. So, that can't be a motivating factor for UCLA. However, there may be other schools on the quarter system wherein their second quarter ends earlier. So, I guess it's possible that not waiting until the end of the year could allow him to play earlier assuming he can transfer fairly quickly.

swood1000
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Just looked up UCLA's calendar. Their Spring quarter begins Monday, March 28, 2011. Next year, the winter quarter ends Friday, March 23, 2012. So he could start playing after that, meaning he'd only be eligible for the Final Four essentially.

The only other option would be to find a school on the quarter system where the winter quarter starts late enough that he could transfer in before the 12th day of class.

For a semester or quarter to count toward your one academic year in residence, you must be enrolled full time (which is generally at least 12-credit hours) and you must be enrolled before the 12th day of class. http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2010.pdf

OldPhiKap
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Leaving UNC may be more stressful than it appears.

No, Chapel Hill is the geographic equivalent of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Kfanarmy
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
I still believe there is a lot more to this than what UNC and their homers are letting out...always easy to point fingers everywhere outside the program. essentially ~1/3 of their recruited players have quit in the last two years. Is it all Drew's moms fault? Don't think so. Perhaps what is really going on is that Roy finally realized what some of his detractors have been saying for the last couple of years -- that without completely dominant talent, he can't make the NCAAT. Perhaps he is encouraging anyone to leave who doesn't show up on campus complete with all the skills necessary to play his system and win a NCAAT... kind of try 'em on and if they don't fit discard em like a cheap dress, rather than learning to adjust aspects of the game plan to the kids he recruited. I completely understand giving Paulus high marks for staying on when he was replaced in the starting lineup; however, I don't think it is required to attack a kid for not doing the same thing as their situations are not nearly the same.

In mid-season, having worked his way into the starting lineup, the coach makes a decision to bench him and affects his future, but the kid is not allowed to make a decision to leave. That is rediculous fanatic loyalty.

Good luck to him, too bad he didn't take a couple more with him.

Justice to the fans who were so horrific to him from UNC would be a 30 point UCLA win over UNC in the tourney two years from now with Drew as the starting PG.

Rudy
02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I still believe there is a lot more to this than what UNC and their homers are letting out...always easy to point fingers everywhere outside the program. essentially ~1/3 of their recruited players have quit in the last two years. Is it all Drew's moms fault? Don't think so. Perhaps what is really going on is that Roy finally realized what some of his detractors have been saying for the last couple of years -- that without completely dominant talent, he can't make the NCAAT.
. . . .

In mid-season, having worked his way into the starting lineup, the coach makes a decision to bench him and affects his future, but the kid is not allowed to make a decision to leave. That is rediculous fanatic loyalty.
Maybe there's more to it but your judgment of Ol' Roy is too harsh. He hasn't just been a success at Kerlina and they're going to the NCAAT (barring an unlikely collapse in the next few weeks) this year without dominating talent despite the transfers.

Drew wasn't benched just because of a capricious decision by Roy. As others pointed out, Drew was playing himself out of the starting job and the change was overdue. If he was unhappy enough for long enough to need or want to transfer, he would have increased his perceived value by doing so at the end of the first semester. No one is guaranteed to keep his starting job once winning it (or in his case stepping into it after the previous one left).

Good for Drew if the UCLA story is true. Still, quitting when he did was a bush move and reveals a "me first, team last" character.

ncexnyc
02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I think it's interesting that we've now got two LDII threads going. All of this for a kid who the majority of posters believe isn't worth a damm, at least talent wise.
I'd hate to see how pages and threads we'd have for someone who was actually good.;)

Bluedog
02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I think it's interesting that we've now got two LDII threads going. All of this for a kid who the majority of posters believe isn't worth a damm, at least talent wise.
I'd hate to see how pages and threads we'd have for someone who was actually good.;)

The other thread has been locked so nobody can post to it anymore....This thread was created with the new UCLA information.

Kfanarmy
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe there's more to it but your judgment of Ol' Roy is too harsh. He hasn't just been a success at Kerlina and they're going to the NCAAT ...Drew wasn't benched just because of a capricious decision by Roy....Good for Drew if the UCLA story is true. Still, quitting when he did was a bush move and reveals a "me first, team last" character. The judgement of Roy, actually came from many Carolina fans over the past year and a third or so...not me. My point was that maybe he was beginning to believe the same and was clearing house without having the fortitude to say so.
I Don't think the Coach's decision has to be capricious for the kid to reconsider his options as well. I guess I just think the options should be available both ways. If the coach can demote the kid to the bench midseason after he has worked his way into a starting role, then the kid has the right to move on midseason. I don't think it is bush league for Roy to bench him, and I don't think it is bush league for him to leave. I do think it is bush league to lay the decisions/responsibility at the feet of anyone other than Drew and Williams. I do think there is, or at least has been, some seriously bad mojo in that locker room, and it probably has a lot to do with the Coach blaming everyone but himself for losses and throwing kids under the bus during press conferences.

SoCalDukeFan
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I am surprised that LA bound Drew-II didn't opt for UCLA's cross-town rival, "The University of Spoiled Children," since there is such an obvious and strong fit (my sincere apologies to SoCal for this "cheap shot.").

would have thought he would go to USC which seems to regularly have one or two year guys and always using them to fill holes in the program.

I really don't see why any program wants a mediocre point guard for one year not this season but the season after. Wouldn't Drew hurt your ability to recruit a PG who would be a frosh that year?

The U of S Children is a little old.

SoCal

BlueThru&Thru
02-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Justice to the fans who were so horrific to him from UNC would be a 30 point UCLA win over UNC in the tourney two years from now with Drew as the starting PG.

I''ll take that bet. How much?:cool:

WiJoe
02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
would have thought he would go to USC which seems to regularly have one or two year guys and always using them to fill holes in the program.

I really don't see why any program wants a mediocre point guard for one year not this season but the season after. Wouldn't Drew hurt your ability to recruit a PG who would be a frosh that year?

The U of S Children is a little old.

SoCal

Kevin O'Neill would not put up with the crap from any of the trio of drews, who heretofore should be referred to as the three stooges. He would NEVER be THAT hard up.

Bluedevil114
02-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Speculation was, Drew waited to see where high-ranking recruits might end up before quitting. I don't follow recruiting that much, but maybe UCLA missed on key targets, and Drew is a stop-gap. They get a senior guard who has been to the national championship, only have to put up with him for a year, and can focus on batting a home-run with the next year's class?

Yes, UCLA missed on a guy named Quinn Cook. I think he is attending a school near us. Go Duke!!

heyman25
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM

Oh is he going to U Clowns Lost Again!

moonpie23
02-10-2011, 09:14 AM
not to pile on, but sheesh.....i've watched LDII play for 2 1/2 years and man, unc got SO much better when he left...

jv001
02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm going to hold off my dislike for ldII, and use it all on hb. I just don't like the little smirk on his face. GoDuke!

ChicagoHeel
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/21352/drew-iis-birthday-rap-shows-he-still-doesnt-get-it/

lotusland
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/21352/drew-iis-birthday-rap-shows-he-still-doesnt-get-it/

I miss him.

Olympic Fan
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I Don't think the Coach's decision has to be capricious for the kid to reconsider his options as well. I guess I just think the options should be available both ways. If the coach can demote the kid to the bench midseason after he has worked his way into a starting role, then the kid has the right to move on midseason. I don't think it is bush league for Roy to bench him, and I don't think it is bush league for him to leave.

We're going to have to agree to disagree there, bub.

I'm not saying that a kid doesn't have the right to be upset when he's demoted from the starting lineup, but quitting on your team at midseason IS the very definition of bush league. Leave before the season, fine. Leave after the season, I'll defend you all the way. But quit on the team in the middle of the season -- that's selfish BS.

Equating a coach changing his starting lineup at midseason (happens all the time at every school) to a kid quitting his team at midseason is nuts. Thank God Nolan Smith didn't react that way when he lost his starting job mudway through the 2009 season!

And to leave in the middle of the night without telling your coach, your teammates or even your roomates ... that's the greatest single case of bush league behavior I can ever recall.

The fact that Drew's departure turned UNC's season around and made them a much better team doesn't say much for the kid's value.

RoyalBlue08
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Oh how I wish we could have seen 5-6 more years of this kid in baby blue...

ChicagoHeel
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh how I wish we could have seen 5-6 more years of this kid in baby blue...

You might get at least one more year...it will just be the UCLA version of baby blue.

My hope is that a couple of years from now we will get to face Drew and the Wears in the first round of the NCAA when UCLA is playing as a 16 seed.

-bdbd
03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
You might get at least one more year...it will just be the UCLA version of baby blue.

My hope is that a couple of years from now we will get to face Drew and the Wears in the first round of the NCAA when UCLA is playing as a 16 seed.

Our hope would also be that y'all get to play against them in the first round in two years as well, with UCLA playing as the 1-seed...

Duvall
03-08-2011, 05:51 PM

UNC playing a 16-seed in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in a couple of years? I'd be pretty okay with that (http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2011mbbblankbracket.pdf).

Wheat/"/"/"
03-08-2011, 08:20 PM
There is no way we can know anything for sure about anyone's reasons to transfer from a keyboard and internet conection...but two things seem pretty obvious to me following the entire situation from the cheap seats...(1) Roy stood by and supported Drew as long as he could...and (2) There was poor chemistry everywhere last season, it affected the Wears, and it seems to all point back to Larry Drew.

lotusland
03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
There is no way we can know anything for sure about anyone's reasons to transfer from a keyboard and internet conection...but two things seem pretty obvious to me following the entire situation from the cheap seats...(1) Roy stood by and supported Drew as long as he could...and (2) There was poor chemistry everywhere last season, it affected the Wears, and it seems to all point back to Larry Drew.

I feel like it's partially my fault that he left. I should have taken time to say "thanks for all that you do"

ChicagoHeel
03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Agreed. I've been hesitant to pile on, but Drew's not helping his case with this rap video. When I originally read the article with Drew's "lyrics" I was annoyed. Later I went back and watched the actual video and it just seemed kind of sad and pathetic. I feel pretty sorry for the kid. At the very least he should be seeking better counsel because if he is in fact trying to make a case to play at UCLA I cannot imagine that this rap helps.

RelativeWays
03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
The judgement of Roy, actually came from many Carolina fans over the past year and a third or so...not me. My point was that maybe he was beginning to believe the same and was clearing house without having the fortitude to say so.
I Don't think the Coach's decision has to be capricious for the kid to reconsider his options as well. I guess I just think the options should be available both ways. If the coach can demote the kid to the bench midseason after he has worked his way into a starting role, then the kid has the right to move on midseason. I don't think it is bush league for Roy to bench him, and I don't think it is bush league for him to leave. I do think it is bush league to lay the decisions/responsibility at the feet of anyone other than Drew and Williams. I do think there is, or at least has been, some seriously bad mojo in that locker room, and it probably has a lot to do with the Coach blaming everyone but himself for losses and throwing kids under the bus during press conferences.

It makes me sad when I see that there are naive homers on both sides of the fence. Transferring (here, essentially a euphemism for bailing, thats what it really was) from your team with a month left in the regular season IS bush league unless there are incredibly rare and extreme circumstances (like Drew seriously fearing for his life or becoming suicidal) judging by that rap video, this doesn't seem to be the case. We've already thrown Taylor King under the bus for his terrible work ethic and poor sense of responsibility, imagine he left in February of 09, when he had a defined role on the team like Drew did this year. Lets keep in mind, Drew did not disappear on the bench, saw plenty of minutes, had better O production, played great D off the bench. Its not like Huckleberry said "nah lissen herr son, I'ma gonna put yoo awn that thar bench n yoo ain't evah gone git off less summon git hurt. Nah git me ah Coke dagnabit" This was a relationship that by pretty much all accounts by those who know that was dictated by Drews mom and dad, and Huckleberry was either fooled or trapped into complying with. It also explains his wishy washy attempt at recruiting Cook I suppose.

Its painfully clear Drew bailed on his team and did so at a time to maximize the negative impact on his former teammates. Its classless and just because that team is UNC doesn't make it less true. It sounds like the kind of crap Kris Humphries dad would have loved to have pulled here.

SoCalDukeFan
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Is Drew in fact going to UCLA? I have not seen anything from UCLA on that score.

SoCal

#1Duke
03-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Maybe there's more to it but your judgment of Ol' Roy is too harsh. He hasn't just been a success at Kerlina and they're going to the NCAAT (barring an unlikely collapse in the next few weeks) this year without dominating talent despite the transfers.

Drew wasn't benched just because of a capricious decision by Roy. As others pointed out, Drew was playing himself out of the starting job and the change was overdue. If he was unhappy enough for long enough to need or want to transfer, he would have increased his perceived value by doing so at the end of the first semester. No one is guaranteed to keep his starting job once winning it (or in his case stepping into it after the previous one left).

Good for Drew if the UCLA story is true. Still, quitting when he did was a bush move and reveals a "me first, team last" character.

+1 to an objective post.
Roy bent over backwards for Drew. He lost games because of him.
That whole 2 team system he was running was because of Drew and the fact that Roy wanting Marshall to get some experience.
Fact is, Roy did ALL he could and he IS paid to win and of course, the fans want their team to win.
Drew is an ungrateful spoiled child that did not appreciate what Roy did for him and he was given every chance to elevate his game. Everyone has to fight for a starting position and fight to keep it.
Drew ruined his career.
Look at the difference in UNC since Drew left, that's all you have to do to see what the problem was.