PDA

View Full Version : My first post: Will someone please explain '9F'?

Arrghbc1201
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I am a newbe so please excuse the ignorance as I have tried to do my due diligence and search for this answer before posting. Also, this question probably doesnt deserve it's own thread so I apologize for that too. Ok, now Im walking on egg shells.

Thanks

noyac
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

Read this and look under 9F for your answer and for many more answers to questions you may have

-jk
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
And the stickies at the top explain a lot of stuff....

-jk

Arrghbc1201
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

Read this and look under 9F for your answer and for many more answers to questions you may have

Ha! Before posting I read Throatybeard's pocket reference twice even utilizing the "Ctrl F" seach feature with 'f9' as my query to no avail.

Thanks

9F 9F 9F!

OldPhiKap
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Welcome, jump on in. No reason to walk on eggshells.

snowdenscold
02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Ha! Before posting I read Throatybeard's pocket reference twice even utilizing the "Ctrl F" seach feature with 'f9' as my query to no avail.

Thanks

9F 9F 9F!

Clearly you needed to search for '9)' and then 'f)' and match them up ;)

It had been awhile since I have reread the PRG. Good to know some thing never change, but I do wonder what we could add to the 'Mercifully Extinct' category.

Gewebe14
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Also, Koach K know has four Khampionshps!!

EDIT: And we can throw away the zone comment

Arrghbc1201
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM

I'm more of a lurker than a poster. There is more than enough valuable posts on this board to satisfy my cravings for Duke athletics and I am impressed by the organization and managment of this message board. Since I read here just about everyday and rarely ever post, I'll take this opportunity to let the board know that I've been a Duke fan since elementary school, and I'll always love Duke basketball especially since I'm blessed to atted a few men's games each year at Cameron Indoor. One thing that most true East Carolina fans (like myself) have in common with Duke is...Anybody But Carolina. By the way, I hate uconn too.

I'm 1 day, 9 hours, 25 minutes away from experiencing the best atmosphere and rivalry in all of sports! Go Duke! GTHC, GTH!

rsvman
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I would just like to say, "1s."

And I really mean it. Particularly with regards to Mason Plumlee.

That is all.:)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
GTHC, GTH!
You could have saved six key strokes by just typing 9F! Or typed it 3 times with the same effort! :cool: 9F!9F!9F!

BD80
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Will someone please explain '9f'?

The mantra Maharishi Mahesh Yogi chants to achieve Yogic Flying.

swood1000
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Unless asking what 9F means is actually a rite of passage, it might save some unnecessary activity for a mod to add the following to this page: (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-TV-Coverage-Game-Chat-NCAA-Compliance-quot-9F-quot-NBA)

"9F is a reference to item 9f) in Throatybeard’s DBR Manifesto/Pocket Reference (http://www.duke.edu/%7Ebct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf)"

If it is a rite of passage, then I'm sorry for having disclosed it so baldly.

Arrghbc1201
02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
The mantra Maharishi Mahesh Yogi chants to achieve Yogic Flying.

also, the chanting of Father Merrin when casting out demons

throatybeard
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
It had been awhile since I have reread the PRG. Good to know some thing never change, but I do wonder what we could add to the 'Mercifully Extinct' category.

Greg Paulus and football, for starters.

You can tell I wrote that thing in 2005. I should update it. I'll put that on the list of things to do if I get tenure.

One notable omission is a topic involving students complaining about how lame and quiet the Crusties are.

Reilly
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
... I'll put that on the list of things to do if I get tenure....

So that whole "profs do nothing meaningful post-tenure" line really is mistaken....

throatybeard
02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
So that whole "profs do nothing meaningful post-tenure" line really is mistaken....

Indeed, 95% of the people who get tenure tend to be workaholics who can't stop themselves, and keep acting that way after tenure. Yeah, you've got roughly one underachieving Associate Professor in most departments, but these folks are exceptions that prove the rule.

Tom B.
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Greg Paulus and football, for starters.

You can tell I wrote that thing in 2005. I should update it. I'll put that on the list of things to do if I get tenure.

One notable omission is a topic involving students complaining about how lame and quiet the Crusties are.

Other retirement/replacement candidates:

15(a) -- Goestenkoers can't coach big games.

Anything in Section 9 ("Rivals") having to do with Stanford.

Most of Section 14 ("Meta-DBR Board Discussions"), considering that most of the sub-topics in that section are directed towards the old BBS.

On the whole, though, I was actually impressed at how relevant much of the PRG still is, given its age.

Gewebe14
02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
On the whole, though, I was actually impressed at how relevant much of the PRG still is, given its age.

Yep we are still guard heavy with soft big-men and everyone still hates us.

MCFinARL
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Just read this through for the first time, and it is, as others have noted, a pretty spectacular effort that is still almost completely relevant. I was a little surprised, though, to see no mention of two categories of posts I've seen a lot of in the past year or two--

1) "It's over." Maybe that one is too short to need a code.
2) Violent gerbils.

Namtilal
02-08-2011, 07:34 PM
How do you explain the Alpha and the Omega? If a creator is necessary for the universe to exist, then who created the creator? Is it better to spend your way out of a recession, or would cutting spending and lowering taxes work better?

Not all questions can be explained. 9F is just there, like gravity.

basket1544
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow 2b was relevant even 5 years ago!
1m made me laugh, it has always been true.
Jersey retirement is note #12 which made me giggle.

Jderf
02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Most of Section 14 ("Meta-DBR Board Discussions"), considering that most of the sub-topics in that section are directed towards the old BBS.

Perhaps to be replaced with our current obsession with the anonymous comment system.

1) "It's over." Maybe that one is too short to need a code.
2) Violent gerbils.

Don't forget cinder blocks.

Duvall
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Other retirement/replacement candidates:

15(a) -- Goestenkoers can't coach big games.

Anything in Section 9 ("Rivals") having to do with Stanford.

Probably time to replace 9(l) with "Roy Williams is a crazy old man who is also mean; here's why."

1(n) should also be retired after the last few years.

ForkFondler
02-08-2011, 08:13 PM

I'm thinking you should do it order to deserve tenure.

DevilWearsPrada
02-09-2011, 12:16 AM
No Eggshells here!! Join in. Posts your 2 cents. And read the handy guide.

But 9F is the Best!!!! GTHC GTH

Come tailgate at the Football games. Pull up a chair, have a cocktail or beer, and stay awhile.
WELCOME!!!!

and as always,
Go Duke!!!

bluepenguin
02-09-2011, 07:39 AM
No reason to walk on eggshells.If that were really true, there wouldn't be all those rules posted.;)

gls6
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm glad you asked the question because didn't figure it out until I came across this thread. I did the ctrl+F and wasted like 15 minutes like an idiot. I can't wait for the game tonight! Did you guys see the GTHC page in the chronicle?

This board is a really a great resource for serious fans, but it does feel like you have to walk on eggshells.

throatybeard
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Anything in Section 9 ("Rivals") having to do with Stanford

You're right, but removing it would bump Carolina up to 9E, and we apparently can't have that.

I think my own personal pet on the list is the ticket request.

4D) My grandmother has 9 kinds of cancer and a parasitic eel living in her brain, and her last wish is to go to the Duke men’s game on [specific weekend]

My job was made easier by the fact that some things are close to eternal, and simply don't have to be updated, barring certain parties shaking off this mortal coil.

15D) Sweet tap-dancing Moses, did you see what Sylvia Hatchell was wearing?

stillcrazie
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm glad you asked the question because didn't figure it out until I came across this thread. I did the ctrl+F and wasted like 15 minutes like an idiot. I can't wait for the game tonight! Did you guys see the GTHC page in the chronicle?

This board is a really a great resource for serious fans, but it does feel like you have to walk on eggshells.

Keep posting anyway. For every person who makes you feel like that, there are 100 who want to hear what you have to contribute (as long as it doesn't suck!) :p