PDA

View Full Version : San Juans, Bainbridge, etc..

DukeFencer
02-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Hey Folks,

I'd love to hear if anyone has had a great trip to any of the Washington islands... I have the chance to get my family all together in Seattle this June and I'd love to convince everyone to stay an extra couple of days and go somewhere cool, maybe 2-4 days, only requirement I suppose is that we see a lot of water & beautiful views!

Thanks!

-jk
02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I spent a couple weeks with my uncle on his sailboat island hopping from Seattle to Nanaimo in June (much too long ago!). Lots of water. Beautiful views. And lots of great food - we caught salmon, crabs, dug clams, oysters.

It was a blast!

-jk

Olympic Fan
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I was in Seattle for an NCAA Tournament trip in 1995 (I was also there in '89 with Duke).

A few of us took the ferry to Bainbridge Island ... it was a beautiful trip, very peaceful and not too long and very inexpensive. You dock near the naval base and there is a great maritime museum right there, along with a couple of Navy exhibits (they had a old destroyer open to the public right beside the ferry dock).

Not far away, there is a mothball fleet. Not sure what is there now, but in '95 there were three battleships (I know the Missouri was there ... it's now in Pearl Harbor) as well as about half a dozen aircraft carriers. You can't get on them, but you can get pretty close outside the fence (at least your could in '95).

That was a great afternoon for a naval history buff, but the ferry ride itself is worth taking.

We also took a hydrofoil to Victoria, the capital of British Columbia -- just at the southern tip of Vancouver Island. It was interesting, but a storm blew in whiile we were there and our 45 minute boat ride back to Seattle turned into a six-hour nightmare (we had to bus north to take a ferry to Vancouver, then bus south from Vancouver to Seattle).

I'd recommend the trip ... but check the weather forcast.

Of course, listening to Seattle residents, it only rains one day in three there -- it always rains today, but never yesterday or tomorrow.

Jim3k
02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Rosario Resort on Orcas Island. Great for a family vacation. Independent rental units are on the grounds, too (see a rental agent in Eastsound). Boats, golf, bikes, hiking Mt. Constitution--ferries to nearby islands. Some history on San Juan Island (San Juan Island Pig War), also Hotel de Haro on side opposite of Friday Harbor.

Peterson
02-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I believe you're misrembering the maritime museum and mothball fleet on Bainbridge--that is located at Bremerton, home of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard. A slightly longer ferry ride (about 55 minutes instead of 35 minutes to Bainbridge).

Although the ferry rides from Seattle can be very pretty, most of the destinations are not that much different from any typical city/suburb/etc. The San Juan Islands are a different beast all together...peaceful, somewhat remote, definitely more of an "island living" vibe compared to Vashon/Bainbridge/Bremerton.

I don't have a ton of time to post now, but I'll try to post some more thoughts on the San Juan's tomorrow. I've lived in Seattle for 12 years now and have traveled pretty extensively in the state (my wife grew up on Vashon, and we've been to the San Jean four or five times over the years) so if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Oh, and I would second the Rosario Resort reference (I stayed in their marina on a sailboat three or four years ago), but I believe it went into foreclosure a coulple years ago...not sure if it's reopened yet.

Peterson

Peterson
02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I stand corrected...good to know its back up and running!

http://www.rosario-resort.blogspot.com/

Olympic Fan
02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I believe you're misrembering the maritime museum and mothball fleet on Bainbridge--that is located at Bremerton, home of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard. A slightly longer ferry ride (about 55 minutes instead of 35 minutes to Bainbridge).

Although the ferry rides from Seattle can be very pretty, most of the destinations are not that much different from any typical city/suburb/etc. The San Juan Islands are a different beast all together...peaceful, somewhat remote, definitely more of an "island living" vibe compared to Vashon/Bainbridge/Bremerton.

I don't have a ton of time to post now, but I'll try to post some more thoughts on the San Juan's tomorrow. I've lived in Seattle for 12 years now and have traveled pretty extensively in the state (my wife grew up on Vashon, and we've been to the San Jean four or five times over the years) so if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Oh, and I would second the Rosario Resort reference (I stayed in their marina on a sailboat three or four years ago), but I believe it went into foreclosure a coulple years ago...not sure if it's reopened yet.

Peterson

Good catch -- it was Bremerton ...

DevilAlumna
02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
I've wanted to spend a week here -- friends of mine make this the base for diving trips -- but haven't found the time yet: http://www.westbeachresort.com/

If you wanted to stay on the mainland, I understand there are plenty of vacation condos to rent up in the Bellingham/Semiahmoo resort area, which would make for an easy jaunt up to Vancouver as well.

There are some good listings for houses here: http://vrbo.com

If your fam is the rustic camping sort (or budget-minded), there are plenty of good state (and county) park campgrounds; Cama Beach comes to mind: http://www.parks.wa.gov/vacationhouses/camabeach/

DukeFencer
02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them out and let you know what I convinced everyone to do!