PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

RockChalk
06-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Hope you all don't mind a Jayhawk fan being a member here. I like reading about other teams and getting their opinions on the national level. Not here to start any trouble.....just good discussion.

Indoor66
06-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Welcome. All rational and some irrational views and opinions welcome - even from the Rock Chalk crowd.

Bob Green
06-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Opinions from fans of other schools are great for the board. Welcome!

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Y'all come! Some guy named Williams (rumored to be from your neck of the woods) lives around the corner from me, bless his heart. So, I'm sort of used to having you guys around.

Love, Ima

RockChalk
06-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Y'all come! Some guy named Williams (rumored to be from your neck of the woods) lives around the corner from me, bless his heart. So, I'm sort of used to having you guys around.

Love, Ima

ahhhhhh, memories!!!!!!!!

Take it easy on that ol' guy.......he's not too bad ;)

Buckeye Devil
06-23-2007, 10:27 PM
The only thing I have against the Jayhawks is that they let Roy go to Chapel Hill. Kansas will be strong next year. After falling short last year, I think the players will be Self-motivated. Sorry-it couldn't be helped.

4decadedukie
06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
My best friend, of 35 years standing, is a KU alumnus. Many of my fellows Dukies use this as proof of my questionable judgment and intelligence, but all of us welcome you.

RockChalk
06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Funny story:
I actually own a Duke hat......it was buy one get one free and I wanted the Georgia Tech hat so I snagged Duke with it. The GT hat was bright yellow and someone once asked me if I was going hunting so I never wore it again. The Duke hat got worn out because it was just a comfy hat and I like blue. Anyway, all my buddies dog on me for being a bandwagon fan b/c I own a Duke hat.
Honestly, I'm not a fan or anything.....I just don't hate them like everyone else does. But I do have much respect for the coaches and players.

Lord Ash
06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Ah, a Jayhawk! How nice!

Hey, can I ask, where does the Rock Chalk thing come from? What does it mean?

LA

Lord Ash
06-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Aw nevermind, stupid internet makes everything easy to find.

"The Rock Chalk Chant is perhaps the most distinctive cheer in all of college sports. Some have likened it to a Gregorian chant, but anyone who has been in Allen Fieldhouse and heard the chant start low, then build and roll over the crowd knows that it is much, much more.
The "Rock Chalk" chant dates to 1866, when it was adopted by the University Science Club. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey and some of his associates were returning to Lawrence from Wichita on a train. As the story goes, they passed the time by trying to create a rousing cheer. The sound of the train's wheels on the rails suggested a rhythm and a cadence to them. At first, the cheer was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times.
Even though KU didn't have a football team until four years later, KU students quickly took up the chant. Later, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," in place of "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it was symbolic of the limestone, also known as chalk rock, surrounding Mount Oread, the site of the Lawrence Campus. It became the official cheer of the University in 1897.
Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.
The words to the chant are simple. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" repeated five times. The chant is special not because of the words, but because of the tone in which it is chanted and the distinctive cadence in which each verse is delivered. The only way to really appreciate the chant is to sit in Allen Fieldhouse before a Missouri game. But, if in need of a fix, the links below should recall the rocking rafters of Phog's place. "

Wierd, but okay:)

dukerev
06-24-2007, 10:21 PM
It is a pretty cool chant. But it has nothing on "Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell!" :)

kydevil
06-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't mind KU since they made sure UNC didn't get Releford.

mapei
06-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I respect KU tons as a basketball program, but god the floor of their gym is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

MulletMan
06-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Welcome!

One of my favorite Crazy Moments was when we got all of Cameron doing the Rock-Chalk Jay-Hawk K-U! chant during Roy's first game in Cameron. It sounds freakin' cool! (We had the cheer leading placards from the KU cheerleaders that someone got us... does anyone remember who that was? Throaty?)

RockChalk
06-24-2007, 11:40 PM
WOW.....I didn't hear about you doing the Rock Chalk chant at Roy's first game there. That is hilarious!!!!

dukemomLA
06-25-2007, 02:23 AM
One of the things I like best about DBR is the input (...when it's not scathing crap) from fans of other teams. It causes us to think, re-evaluate, be mindful of our own crap and embrace another point of view.

So, again, WELCOME! We truly cherish your input to the VERY BEST fan site in the country!!

I don't hate the Kansas Jayhawks -- although I HATE driving through Kansas. As someone who has driven across the country more than 2 dozen times, I ALWAYS yell to myself: "God...WHEN THE HELL WILL I BE OUT OF KANSAS"

Glad to hear your thoughts on our "BLUE DEVIL FOREVER" site. Keep them coming.

RockChalk
06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
One of the things I like best about DBR is the input (...when it's not scathing crap) from fans of other teams. It causes us to think, re-evaluate, be mindful of our own crap and embrace another point of view.

So, again, WELCOME! We truly cherish your input to the VERY BEST fan site in the country!!

I don't hate the Kansas Jayhawks -- although I HATE driving through Kansas. As someone who has driven across the country more than 2 dozen times, I ALWAYS yell to myself: "God...WHEN THE HELL WILL I BE OUT OF KANSAS"

Glad to hear your thoughts on our "BLUE DEVIL FOREVER" site. Keep them coming.

I can totally understand feeling that way while driving through our state. I get that way after driving an hour or so.

And I feel the same way fans from other teams......I get more insight from them than I would at a site with 2000 Jayhawk fans.

By the way.....I love the test your site gives in order to register. I failed twice (damn Coach K's name) even though I'm pretty sure I was right.

4decadedukie
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Through some minor -- or, perhaps, major -- miracle, I (35+ years after receiving my bachelors degree) got a seat to that UNC game from University Development. It was wonderful, and I remember the "Rock Chalk" chant (etc.) for Old Roy so well. This is typical of Cameron, and why I hope we shall never leave it.

hurleyfor3
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm cool with Kansas fans. I probably read phog.net more than any other "opposing team" message board (and living in Chicago I can relate to what Phog folks refer to as "IBiots"). My experience is most of you are very knowledgable and easy to get along with. Welcome aboard.

SilkyJ
06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome!

One of my favorite Crazy Moments was when we got all of Cameron doing the Rock-Chalk Jay-Hawk K-U! chant during Roy's first game in Cameron. It sounds freakin' cool! (We had the cheer leading placards from the KU cheerleaders that someone got us... does anyone remember who that was? Throaty?)

I thought it was you and Viking man with your whiteboard(s). I didn't seem to remember placards...

RockChalk
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Keep gettin on ol' Roy.......he's a good guy though. ;)

In fact, NC/Duke is probably my favorite sporting game of the year. I really don't root for either team....usually pull for the "lesser" of the two teams that year though so that it is a close game.

MulletMan
06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I thought it was you and Viking man with your whiteboard(s). I didn't seem to remember placards...

Nope, we most deffintely had blue placards with white lettering. They were given to us by whoever taught us the pacing of the chant. If you've ever heard it, it starts off slow Rooooooooooock, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk, Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk. Kaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Uuuuuuuuuuuuu. And then goes into thre quick repeats of the above. I remember this vividly because we were nearly too, ummmm, inebriated to keep the placards flipping and rotating during the quick portion of the chant.

RockChalk
06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
WOW....the Rock Chalk chant in Cameron Indoor.......that is one of the coolest things I've heard in a long long time. Maybe someday we can paint a giant Jayhawk on center court of Cameron.......;)

SilkyJ
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Nope, we most deffintely had blue placards with white lettering. They were given to us by whoever taught us the pacing of the chant. If you've ever heard it, it starts off slow Rooooooooooock, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk, Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk. Kaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Uuuuuuuuuuuuu. And then goes into thre quick repeats of the above. I remember this vividly because we were nearly too, ummmm, inebriated to keep the placards flipping and rotating during the quick portion of the chant.

Oh believe me, I remember. I dont know what was better, the chant or the Doherty pictures everyone had during the free-throws.

Which brings back another fond memory: speedo-guy

-Guy in the Tan Blazer on the Non-TV side