PDA

View Full Version : Alex Murphy to Duke!

DevilHorns
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1046033&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f1046033.html

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/alex_murphy_opts_for_duke/4115398

Woohoo!

Rated the #2 SF (#11 overall) in the 2012 class by Scout.

moonpie23
02-07-2011, 12:06 PM
welcome to Duke, ALEX...........!!!!

DukeSean
02-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Nice! Can anyone offer a general breakdown of strengths/weaknesses between Murphy and Muhammad? Sorry not really as familiar with 2012 except rankings

AZLA
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
welcome to Duke, ALEX...........!!!!

Described as a combination of Singler and Dunleavy? Welcome, indeed!

NSDukeFan
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Fantastic news!! Great to hear. He seems like he will be a great addition to the Duke program and will have a great experience at Duke.

Starter
02-07-2011, 12:17 PM
What a nice surprise!

From Jan. 20:

AlexMurphy5 Alex Murphy
Been talkin' to my main man @phenom15balla a lot. Bout to take this thing to the next level! Love you bro

Can't read too much into it, BUT...

Also, from Feb. 1, demonstrates good taste:

AlexMurphy5 Alex Murphy
I love Natalie Portman

uh_no
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Also, from Feb. 1, demonstrates good taste:

Guess he's the home wrecker type then! Well at last this means he'll be wrecking homes 8 miles down the road!

Devilsfan
02-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Dunleavy leaves, in comes Singler. Singler graduates in comes Murphy. Let's keep the momentum going!

1 24 90
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hopefully this is the beginning of a great week for the Blue Devils. Welcome Alex!

Devil07
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Excellent news! I really like his versatility and think he'll make a great addition to the team. I also really like the positive recruiting momentum this starts for the 2012 class, especially with Rasheed Sulaimon coming to campus in two days. Having a top 15 player already committed makes the sales pitch all the easier.

superdave
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow. Chatter was all about Sulaimon this week. This came out of nowhere. I was expecting Murphy to wait until August.

Was anyone expecting this right now!??

should_be_working
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Hopefully this is the beginning of a great week for the Blue Devils. Welcome Alex!

Yep, and with Sulaimon coming in for UNC the recruiting side of it could get even better. Now lets take care of carolina!

BD80
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
WOW!!!!

Awesome News. This guy seems like such a Duke player, with his skill set and attitude.

My only concern is that we overdo the Dunleavy/Singler comparisons, let us let him be himself, you know, ROBOCOP!

Devilsfan
02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
There's excitement on the hill too! Wear leaves, another Wear leaves, Graves leaves, little Zeller says NO!, LD II leaves. I guess you could say they're coming and going on Tobacco Road. Glad they're coming to Durham and leaving the hill at a furious pace.

sagegrouse
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Welcome to Duke, Alex Murphy! We can't wait to see you in uniform. A terrific move by you, I predict.

sagegrouse

ChillinDuke
02-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Fantastic news! Love this kid already!

Welcome to Duke, Alex!

superdave
02-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Just saw on Twitter that EvanDaniels of Scout mentions something about Murphy coming early. Is he a re-classifier? Or is he thinking of pulling an Andre and knocking out senior english next summer? The article's premium on Scout. Wow.

JasonEvans
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Just saw on Twitter that EvanDaniels of Scout mentions something about Murphy coming early. Is he a re-classifier? Or is he thinking of pulling an Andre and knocking out senior english next summer? The article's premium on Scout. Wow.

There has been talk about Murphy reclassifying and coming to school a year early but nothing definitive yet and it has largely just been fans spreading rumors.

Recall also that Duke's perimeter is going to be sorta crowded next year. Nolan departure will open up minutes and Singler gets time as the SF instead of the PF, but with Cook, Rivers, and Gbinije being added to the mix along with holdovers TT, 'Dre, and Seth there is not a huge need for another wing right away.

--Jason "wonderful news on Murphy -- now I hope Sulaimon has fun this week and joins the parade of 5-star recruits to Durham!" Evans

moonpie23
02-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Recall also that Duke's perimeter is going to be sorta crowded next year. Nolan departure will open up minutes and Singler gets time as the SF instead of the PF, but with Cook, Rivers, and Gbinije being added to the mix along with holdovers TT, 'Dre, and Seth there is not a huge need for another wing right away.

singler is playing next year ?

YourLandlord
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
There has been talk about Murphy reclassifying and coming to school a year early but nothing definitive yet and it has largely just been fans spreading rumors.

--Jason "wonderful news on Murphy -- now I hope Sulaimon has fun this week and joins the parade of 5-star recruits to Durham!" Evans

Another year, eh? Outstanding ;)

Great news, looking forward to seeing this guy crush it.

JasonEvans
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
singler is playing next year ?

What I meant was that Singler gets time at the 3 this year and that time will open up next year. I phrased it poorly.

--Jason "I forgot to mention that Kyrie will be back too ;) " Evans

nyr484
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Dunleavy leaves, in comes Singler.

I think you're forgetting about a few years there... But, I do like the enthusiasm.

geraldsneighbor
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Great news to see Murphy come aboard. Can anyone shed any light on what this means for our recruitment of Shabazz and Sulaimon?

rotogod00
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1046033&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f1046033.html

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/alex_murphy_opts_for_duke/4115398

Woohoo!

Rated the #2 SF (#11 overall) in the 2012 class by Scout.

By comparison, ESPN also has him as the #2 SF (behind Shabazz) and #15 overall

Welcome aboard, Alex. Great to have you!

TampaDukie
02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
What great news on an otherwise dreary Monday.

Welcome to the Duke family, Alex!

-bdbd
02-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Yep, just wonderful news. And it has to help with Rasheed this Wed. - still am hoping for TWO good outcomes on Wed (!). Shabazz and Parker will ceertainly be watching this too. Getting a stud of this caliber early will absolutely help with the rest of the "2012" class.

Jason, with threat of an early Mason departure, that could leave us very thin up front next year. I would think that would be the main scenario that might make sense, in terms of available floor time, for an early arrival from Alex...

For those who're asking, Murphy has been described by the various gurus as a 6'8" SF/PF type, who early in his career might seem more likely to play more wing than inside. Have seen him listed in the top-ten. Plays for a GREAT high school team. Brother plays at FLA. Lots of big-name schools recruited him. Multiple analogies to Dunleavy and Singler in the pieces I've read. Just providing that as a description of current skills. As was posted before, best we allow him to develop into "the first Alex Murphy," and not the next Kyle Singler, etc. His dad played at BC by the way.

Great news! The future's so bright, ya gotta wear shades!!
;)

magjayran
02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Jason, with threat of an early Mason departure, that could leave us very thin up front next year. I would think that would be the main scenario that might make sense, in terms of available floor time, for an early arrival from Alex...

;)

What threat of an early Mason departure? I think it's time to lay this one to rest.

YourLandlord
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
What threat of an early Mason departure? I think it's time to lay this one to rest.

http://crankuptheheat.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/act_shavlik_randolph.jpg

DevilHorns
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1vvzFEvcc

JasonEvans
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Aside from both being big men who play at Duke, there is nothing comparable about Mason Plumlee and Shav. Nada.

Mason might decide to leave after this year, though most folks seem to think that is extremely unlikely, but it will not be for the same reasons Shav left.

-Jason "nice picture of Shav, by the way" Evans

OldPhiKap
Welcome, Alex!

Bluedog
Wow, great news and quite unexpected!! Welcome to Duke Alex!! Definitely a good pickup.

The Singler comparisons are true insomuch they're both 6'8" white guys who are suited for the 3/4 and can stroke it from long range. Murphy has more raw athleticism than Singler (and has thrown down some monster dunks), while he doesn't have Kyle's strength or toughness (but who does have Kyle's toughness?!). In any event, I agree in letting him be the first Alex Murphy. What a great pickup and without any hoopla, surprisingly.

I had thought Murphy was a Duke lean just from his previous comments. He always seemed impressed with how Coach K uses Kyle in the offense and commented about his amazing midrange game after the MD win. So, I'd imagine seeing somebody utilized in that fashion helped him to imagine how he could be in the offense.

Definitely being hot helps in recruiting circles. I'm sure Alex Murphy will do his best to bring Bazz with him as they've talked a lot about playing together.

DevilHorns
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jvZkRA7X0&feature=related

YourLandlord
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
-Jason "nice picture of Shav, by the way" Evans

[I'll go all day

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/96323/shav.jpg

]

BD80
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Recall also that Duke's perimeter is going to be sorta crowded next year. ... with Cook, Rivers, and Gbinije being added to the mix along with holdovers TT, 'Dre, and Seth there is not a huge need for another wing right away.

OOOh, do I get to be the first?

What about Murphy sliding to the "4" and our going "small?"

Kedsey, set up the new matrix!

Mike Corey
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Murphy is a terrific talent. This is a very big get for Duke, and the start to what will be a very good week.

rthomas
02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Just guessing that UF, their basketball team, Billy Donovan, especially, hates Duke right now.

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Murphy is a terrific talent. This is a very big get for Duke, and the start to what will be a very good week.

Good news re. Kyrie?

hedevil
02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Welcome to Duke Alex! The Gator hate must really be high now. Back to back years of Duke getting recruits that florida must have thought they had locked up. Keep the commitments coming!

superdave
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM

If Sulaimon commits on Wed at the game then we just need Bazz or Parker to commit tomorrow so we could have back-to-back-to-back commits on 3 consecutive days just like Scheyer-Henderson-Zoubs a few years back. A guy can dream....

Oh yeah, we play Carolina too this week. Whew.

Duvall
02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Just guessing that UF, their basketball team, Billy Donovan, especially, hates Duke right now.

Can't blame them for being bitter after Duke came out on top in the recruitments of Austin Rivers, Alex Murphy and Kenny Boynton.

Bluedog
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Can't blame them for being bitter after Duke came out on top in the recruitments of Austin Rivers, Alex Murphy and Kenny Boynton.

Huh? Maybe you were being sarcastic? I missed it...

OldPhiKap
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM

I like when you talk that way, Mike. Go Duke, GTH C!!!

rotogod00
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Couple of ESPN articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098590

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098674

Little clip to close the first one that might interest some folks:

"Now in his fourth year of high school, there remains a possibility that Murphy could elect to rejoin the Class of 2011 and head to Duke next fall.

"As of right now, I'm a member of the Class of 2012 and that's the way it's going to stay," he said, "at least until the high school season is over.

"Right now I just want to focus on helping this team," he said. "When the spring approaches I'll sit down with my family and discuss the 2011 option."

Asked if Duke was prepared to take him immediately next fall he said, "Yes they are.""

JasonEvans
02-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I'll go all day

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/96323/shav.jpg

Is that from the season where Shav earned about $900,000 playing with Portland or the season where he ONLY earned $340,000 in the NBA?

--Jason "Shav did alright for himself-- that's for sure" Evans

DukeSean
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM

that's how I read it, and chuckled ;)

Duvall
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM

It was sarcasm. Duke has been well served by having those minutes and shots go to better players the last two years.

flyingdutchdevil
02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
It was sarcasm. Duke has been well served by having those minutes and shots go to better players the last two years.

Couldn't agree more. I'd happily take Austin + Robocop > Boynton

loran16
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I lol-ed at this. Well done.

jipops
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
What a great get! I'm sure he'll fit in quite nicely.

CLW
02-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Couple of ESPN articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098590

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098674

Little clip to close the first one that might interest some folks:

"Now in his fourth year of high school, there remains a possibility that Murphy could elect to rejoin the Class of 2011 and head to Duke next fall.

"As of right now, I'm a member of the Class of 2012 and that's the way it's going to stay," he said, "at least until the high school season is over.

"Right now I just want to focus on helping this team," he said. "When the spring approaches I'll sit down with my family and discuss the 2011 option."

Asked if Duke was prepared to take him immediately next fall he said, "Yes they are.""

Things that make you go hmmmm....

2011 Roster (best case scenario?)

PG: Irving; Cook; Thornton
SG: Rivers; Curry; Dawkins
SF: Gbinije; Murphy (any "hunch" as to who would be more day 1 ready?)
PF: Kelly; MP1; Hairston
C: MP2; MP3

Of course K IMHO would probably play more 3 guards than Gbinije/Murphy at the 3.

jimsumner
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Of course K IMHO would probably play more 3 guards than Gbinije/Murphy at the 3.

I would anticipate a junior Dawkins starting at the 3 ahead of either freshmen.

DevilWearsPrada
02-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Welcome to Duke!!! Kick off your shoes, and stay awhile!!!! And suit up and put on Your Duke uniform and Nike shoes.

Hope Alex is at the Duke Unc game!!!!! Another great recruit!!!! Lets Go Duke!!!

1 24 90
02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
FYI:

The final 24 Boys and 24 Girls selected to play will be named during the 2011 McDonald’s All American Games Selection Show, which will air February 10 at 5:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU.

CLW
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I would anticipate a junior Dawkins starting at the 3 ahead of either freshmen.

Agreed I was merely breaking down the roster via "natural" positions. I definitely think that Dawkins and Curry would see more time at the 3 than either of the two Frosh.

DukieInBrasil
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Looking at that roster, if I was Murph, I would probably want to wait a year too. That's 13 high quality players to distribute minutes to, so he might take a year to prep up for joining the Devils in 2012.
OTOH, there is a possibility that 2 or more of those guys won't be on the roster next year (KI, depending on the toe thing, and MP II, if he continues to play this way the rest of the year he'll mos def be a high 1st rounder. If, if, if...) and therefore more minutes would be available, though maybe not specifically at his position.
I think he might actually use the wait-and-see approach to his advantage. Either way, it's nice to get good news.

miramar
02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I am always amazed by the number of Duke recruits whose parents were pros, college players, coaches, professional sports executives, you name it. But Alex Murphy combines a father who played in college and the NBA with a mother who played on a national team. While we have had players whose mothers were athletes, such as Kyle, playing on a national women's team may be a first.

No matter what, it does go to show you that families who know about sports want their sons to play for Coach K. It can't be a coincidence.

DUKIE V(A)
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Wow! This is exciting news! Yet another great, well-rounded person/player to thrill the Crazies! What a tremendous time to be a Duke fan!

anon
02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Dunleavy leaves, in comes Singler. Singler graduates in comes Murphy. Let's keep the momentum going!

Did you stop following Duke basketball for a few years? :)

Saratoga2
02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Scout lists him at 6'8" 180#, but they are usually way behind on the numbers. Has he gotten stronger this year? I assume he has put on some muscle, but is probably a long way from being a Singler type. I look forward to seeing this kid develop in a Duke uniform. With the group we will have next year, I would be surprised if he wanted to come to us early.

rotogod00
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Scout lists him at 6'8" 180#, but they are usually way behind on the numbers. Has he gotten stronger this year? I assume he has put on some muscle, but is probably a long way from being a Singler type. I look forward to seeing this kid develop in a Duke uniform. With the group we will have next year, I would be surprised if he wanted to come to us early.

ESPN has him at 6'8", 215

burns15
02-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I can't imagine that Murphy comes early, that would give us 13 guys next year. We all know K does not play 13 guys, he doesn't even play 10 guys. If you remember Taymon Domzalski did not even get off the bench at Duke, and Pete Gillen remarked that if was at UVA they would build a statue of him. Unless K foresses some early departures that we do not know about, I can't see this happening knowing the history of the program.

devildeac
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Are you promising that, Mike?;)

taiw93
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I am not a scout (nor do I pretend to be), but Murphy does seem to have a somewhat similar skillset to Singler. From the tapes that I have seen, high school-aged Singler was stronger and a better rebounder than Murphy, but Murphy is slightly more athletic in the sense of quickness and jumping ability. I would never expect Murphy to have Singler's output - since, after all, I consider Singler to be one of the best players in the K-era - but I do think he will have a similar role in the offense to Singler (in Singler's last two years, not his underclassman years of playing the 4 and 5).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
This is great news! Welcome Alex!

I'd say we are all set at the SF/PF position for a bit with Gbinije and Murphy. Let's keep the momentum going! Woohoo!

SupaDave
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Well I've looked at Murphy and while it seems that everyone wants to go the Dunleavy/Singler route, there was another player that he seemed to remind me of as well. It might sound crazy but I see a whole lot of Grant Hill in that kid...

Greg_Newton
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I am not a scout (nor do I pretend to be), but Murphy does seem to have a somewhat similar skillset to Singler. From the tapes that I have seen, high school-aged Singler was stronger and a better rebounder than Murphy, but Murphy is slightly more athletic in the sense of quickness and jumping ability. I would never expect Murphy to have Singler's output - since, after all, I consider Singler to be one of the best players in the K-era - but I do think he will have a similar role in the offense to Singler (in Singler's last two years, not his underclassman years of playing the 4 and 5).

I think he's much more similar to Dunleavy, minus a little length and plus a little more aggression at the rim. Singler has always been a little bigger and more of a hybrid forward, while Murphy seems like more of a true wing. Great start to the class.

drdoctormd
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Let's see:

Al-ex-Mur-phy! ::clap-clap-clapclapclap::

Yep. Just the right amount of syllables.

DukeSean
02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Let's see:

Al-ex-Mur-phy! ::clap-clap-clapclapclap::

Yep. Just the right amount of syllables.

and just the right amount of unoriginality!

Lord Ash
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine that Murphy comes early, that would give us 13 guys next year. We all know K does not play 13 guys, he doesn't even play 10 guys. If you remember Taymon Domzalski did not even get off the bench at Duke, and Pete Gillen remarked that if was at UVA they would build a statue of him. Unless K foresses some early departures that we do not know about, I can't see this happening knowing the history of the program.

One of the best all-time quotes... thank you for reminding us all of that one!

ncexnyc
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
A big welcome to Alex. It's nice to get some good news today, as I'm sick and tired of seeing all the Carolina blue that is suddenly being worn at work. They win a few games and suddenly they're coming out of the woodwork like a bunch of roaches.

DUKIE V(A)
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
One of the best all-time quotes... thank you for reminding us all of that one!

Another great Gillen quote [please read with Gillen's terrific Northeast accent]..."Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave It to Beaver returns."

WiJoe
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
... and suddenly they're coming out of the woodwork like a bunch of roaches.

Well of course; that's what they are. ROACHES

:cool:

Bluedevil114
02-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Great news to hear!! I really love this kids game and think he will add some real toughness along with another good character kid with a great personality.

airowe
02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Well I've looked at Murphy and while it seems that everyone wants to go the Dunleavy/Singler route, there was another player that he seemed to remind me of as well. It might sound crazy but I see a whole lot of Grant Hill in that kid...

I think he's much more similar to Dunleavy, minus a little length and plus a little more aggression at the rim. Singler has always been a little bigger and more of a hybrid forward, while Murphy seems like more of a true wing. Great start to the class.

Another name being tossed around is Jon Barry. Alex is a bit more athletic than Singler (hops, quickness, etc.), but doesn't have the toughness of Kyle in the lane (made of platinum?).

He's a very versatile player with a nice handle, solid outside shot, and a great basketball IQ. Alex would be well served to put on some bulk (he'll do that in no time at Duke) and to toughen up his mentality. Other than those two things, he's able to play four positions on offense and 3/4 on defense.

Very good pickup and should be just the beginning of a very nice week for Duke fans...

DukeBlueDevils47
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Great pickup! Definitely reminds me of a more athletic version of Kyle. This kid has insane leaping ability
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBPrkWcMk4U

Mike Corey
02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Alex's new nutrition and lifting program will start after his high school season ends this spring, I'd imagine. He'll put on weight before he matriculates, and put on plenty of muscle while at Duke.

He's no string bean like Dunleavy was, however, so it's not as if it's alarming.

Murphy is the quintessential, multi-talented player that has thrived in K's system for decades. Just a huge get. Couldn't be more pleased with this.

K is absolutely on fire right now. Remember a few seasons ago when people were suggesting that he'd gone the way of his mentor? That he'd lost the touch and should retire when the retirin' was good?

The man is the best of the best of the best for a reason. And all these recruits know it, all over again: Duke has become the "it" program once more.

throatybeard
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM

It wasn't quite like that. Dunleavy left in spring 2002 in his junior year. Singler matriculated close to five and half years later.

Duvall
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
It wasn't quite like that. Dunleavy left in spring 2002 in his junior year. Singler matriculated close to five and half years later.

Gives you a sense of how much Duke was hurt by Deng only staying one year.

Newton_14
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Come on Throaty! Don't let facts get in the way of a good story!:)

Actually, the JJ/Sheldon/Shav class came in on the heels of Dunleavy/Williams/Boozer class departing. 2 years later we had the Paulus/McBob class, followed by the Scheyer/Henderson/Thomas/Zoubs class, and then Singler/Nolan arrived. So it was a large gap between Dunleavy/Singler.

Duke76
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM

nowitzki

strawbs
02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
first congrats to alex for choosing duke and joining the blue devil family.
second, i agree with those of you saying we shouldn't compare him to dunleavy or singler, it's not fair to alex. He's going to be following a guy who in all likely hood will have his jersey hanging in the rafters. He could be a great player and not live up to what kyle's done in his 4 years and some people will view that as a disappointment.

I've got 2 questions regarding murphy
1. how long are our recruiting experts predicting murphy to be at duke for? i realize its hard to know these things because there are so many variables, but if you had to guess will he be here for 2,3,or 4 years?

2. There is talk of him reclassifying and possibly coming in next year. Where would there be minutes?
looking at what i think next years depth chart is. Just my opinion, i could easily be wrong.
pg 1. Kyrie (a possibility, probably not likely) 2a.Thornton 2b.Cook (whoever brings the d and values the ball more will start)
sg 1. Rivers 2. curry
sf 1. Dawkins 2. Gbinije
pf 1. kelly 2. hairston
c 1. Mp2 2. Mp1 3. Mp3

We've seen combos of Mp1 Mp2 and ryan as our two bigs, with ryan and mason playing both post spots but miles pretty much acting as the 5. Unless mason goes pro, which even with his recent surge i don't see as being likely, 1 of either murphy or gbinije would be left without minutes. IMO it would make the most sense for murphy to stay for his senior year and hit the weight room. I supposed one of gbinije or murphy could redshirt, but i don't see it happening.

I know this is getting long but speaking of redshirting, does anyone agree with me in that if mason doesn't go pro next year, it might be a good idea to redshirt marshall?
There is no guarantee that we get parker or any big in the '12 class, and most bigs take a few years to really develop. I use zoubek and former UNI center Jordan Egleseder as examples. Both developed into nice players as seniors and both were injury plagued as underclassmen. I think it would have really benefited each of them to redshirt and work on building up their strength and conditioning, so they would have been able to contribute sooner rather then later. I think this strategy could benefit marshall as well

ajgoodfella7
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Reminds me of Dirk nowitzki

Don't really see that comparison. Nowitzki is 7'0, 245 pounds ... Alex Murphy is 6'8, 180 pounds. Not to mention, Nowitzki is one of the best offensive PF's in NBA history.

Bluedog
02-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Don't really see that comparison. Nowitzki is 7'0, 245 pounds ... Alex Murphy is 6'8, 180 pounds. Not to mention, Nowitzki is one of the best offensive PF's in NBA history.

Murphy is now up to 210 pounds, by the way. Still not like Dirk, but it's good to hear he's been hitting the gym.

EvanDanielscout Evan Daniels "BTW ... got a text from @AlexMurphy5. He wanted to make sure I made it known he was up to 210-pounds."

Oriole Way
02-08-2011, 02:12 AM

Murphy himself addressed that talk with Gary Parrish here (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/27426309) - saying that he would talk about reclassifying with his family after this basketball season - so I think that rumor has legs.

I would have to think hard about the possible roster makeup, but I would prefer for Murphy to wait the extra year. I think the weight and muscle he adds as he gets older will make him much more effective, especially when he's a junior and senior. Coming in early, in my opinion, would hurt his physical development. Look at how extra weight has helped Ryan Kelly so much this season. In a perfect world, I certainly wish we could have red-shirted Kelly last season, since he would be an absolute beast as a fifth-year senior with the additional year under his belt to gain weight and improve conditioning. Kelly and Murphy are different players, but I really believe delaying Murphy's arrival for one season (or rather passing on coming in a year early) would help both Murphy and Duke.

Reilly
02-08-2011, 06:51 AM
... Coming in early, in my opinion, would hurt his physical development. ....

I agree he should wait. That said, to nitpick, his physical development might be helped, not hurt, by coming in early. He could spend 2011-12 with the Duke training staff, rather than slogging through another year of h.s. with its perhaps more limited weight training time opportunities, and perhaps accelerate his physical development. In short, it's not that his physical development would be hurt by coming sooner .... rather, he'd be more effective (stronger) in his first year if that first year is 2012-13 rather than 2011-12.

CharlestonDevil
02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
K is absolutely on fire right now...The man is the best of the best of the best for a reason. And all these recruits know it, all over again: Duke has become the "it" program once more.

Preach it brother!

killerleft
02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree he should wait. That said, to nitpick, his physical development might be helped, not hurt, by coming in early. He could spend 2011-12 with the Duke training staff, rather than slogging through another year of h.s. with its perhaps more limited weight training time opportunities, and perhaps accelerate his physical development. In short, it's not that his physical development would be hurt by coming sooner .... rather, he'd be more effective (stronger) in his first year if that first year is 2012-13 rather than 2011-12.

I know transfers have to sit out a year. But this could be a great opportunity for Duke to redshirt a player with good reason. Murphy could train and practice, and then be ready for what would normally be his freshman year. I can't think of a player at Duke who has redshirted (barring an injury), but your post brought such a possibility to mind.

uh_no
02-08-2011, 09:07 AM
If Sulaimon commits on Wed at the game then we just need Bazz or Parker to commit tomorrow so we could have back-to-back-to-back commits on 3 consecutive days just like Scheyer-Henderson-Zoubs a few years back. A guy can dream....

Oh yeah, we play Carolina too this week. Whew.

Shame henderson couldn't get in on the national title :(

Kfanarmy
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
and just the right amount of unoriginality! strikes again. Bit harsh aren't we?

Lord Ash
02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
There is zero possibility of a player of Murphy's quality redshirting a year. Zero. Top 20 players do not sit an entire year in which they could be playing meaningful basketball as well as showing their talents on a national stage out of choice.

GODUKEGO
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
This appeared in the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/basketball/articles/2011/02/08/murphy_picks_duke/

Reilly
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
There is zero possibility of a player of Murphy's quality redshirting a year. Zero. .....

What do you believe the odds are that Murphy will return to h.s. next year? From Duke's perspective, that's the functional equivalent of him coming to Duke and redshirting (in that Duke doesn't get his real game services next year). How far Duke has come ... from *needing* Andre Dawkins to come early to having the luxury of telling Alex Murphy to wait if he wants, his call ....

airowe
02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I know transfers have to sit out a year. But this could be a great opportunity for Duke to redshirt a player with good reason. Murphy could train and practice, and then be ready for what would normally be his freshman year. I can't think of a player at Duke who has redshirted (barring an injury), but your post brought such a possibility to mind.

There is zero possibility of a player of Murphy's quality redshirting a year. Zero. Top 20 players do not sit an entire year in which they could be playing meaningful basketball as well as showing their talents on a national stage out of choice.

I agree with the Lord here. Murphy's game is advanced to the point where he would get serious minutes next year. He'd probably play a good 8-10 minutes this year...

airowe
02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
What do you believe the odds are that Murphy will return to h.s. next year? From Duke's perspective, that's the functional equivalent of him coming to Duke and redshirting (in that Duke doesn't get his real game services next year). How far Duke has come ... from *needing* Andre Dawkins to come early to having the luxury of telling Alex Murphy to wait if he wants, his call ....

At this time the plan is for Alex is to stay for a 5th year of high school. That could change after his school year, but it would be a fast decision as he would need to decide whether or not to enroll for summer school, etc.

CharlestonDevil
02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

So let's say Murphy does re-classify. That'll make for four years that he and Gbinije will be splitting time at the 3. Where will K find the minutes? Not at the SG slot, Seth/Andre/possibly Sulaimon/possibly Bazz in '12 are all there. I guess at the 4 slot, although Jiggy/Kelly/Mason/possibly Parker in 12 will be there.

I say this because I consider that lineup of guards more productive or valuable than that group of bigs. At least offensively. Defense is up for debate.

Someone should tell Coach K to "lose his touch" again so we don't have to make these kinds of recruiting/minutes decisions!!

BD80
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
At this time the plan is for Alex is to stay for a 5th year of high school. That could change after his school year, but it would be a fast decision as he would need to decide whether or not to enroll for summer school, etc.

He would need to be enrolled in summer school to go on the trip to China correct?

Due to the staff's familiarity with China from the Olympics, and the contacts developed through that experience, I would imagine that trip would be beyond fabulous. If I were Alex, I'd start next season just to make that trip!

HCheek37
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Very good pickup and should be just the beginning of a very nice week for Duke fans...

I wonder if the "very nice/good week" refers to any of the following:

a) another commitment
b) a domination of the tarholes
c) some good injury news

Gorilla
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Brian Butch

superdave
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
So let's say Murphy does re-classify. That'll make for four years that he and Gbinije will be splitting time at the 3. Where will K find the minutes? Not at the SG slot, Seth/Andre/possibly Sulaimon/possibly Bazz in '12 are all there. I guess at the 4 slot, although Jiggy/Kelly/Mason/possibly Parker in 12 will be there.

I say this because I consider that lineup of guards more productive or valuable than that group of bigs. At least offensively. Defense is up for debate.

Someone should tell Coach K to "lose his touch" again so we don't have to make these kinds of recruiting/minutes decisions!!

Coach K had Nate James, Shane Battier, Chris Carrawell and Mike Dunleavy on the roster in the 1999-2000 season and played them 28.5, 35.5, 35.6 and 24.1 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1999-2000) minutes per game, respectively. So there's precedent.

Granted, Duke only had one true guard on the team that year in Jason Williams. But I dont think having a lot of versatility will be a problem for Coach K.

Kedsy
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Coach K had Nate James, Shane Battier, Chris Carrawell and Mike Dunleavy on the roster in the 1999-2000 season and played them 28.5, 35.5, 35.6 and 24.1 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1999-2000) minutes per game, respectively. So there's precedent.

Yes, but aside from those four plus Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer, nobody on the team had more than 9 minutes a game. I don't think that's a precedent that's particularly relevant to what we'll have next season.

CharlestonDevil
02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Granted, Duke only had one true guard on the team that year in Jason Williams. But I dont think having a lot of versatility will be a problem for Coach K.

Thanks for the stats. I'm sure that team set a lot of precedents. And I'm not so much concerned about K having to divvy up the minutes as I am him keeping everyone happy. Then again, I certainly wouldn't mind K having a second starting 5 that would qualify as a Top 10 team again, ala '99. Can you imagine:

Irving, Rivers, Murphy, Mason, Miles backed up by

Thornton, Curry, Dawkins, Jiggy, Ryan backed up by

Cook, Gbinije and MP3? Holy jeepers Batman!

dcdevil2009
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Would Alex come in more physically prepared to play right away if he were to wait a year? Yes. Is he going to be better in 2012-2013 if he spends the 2011-2012 season playing college basketball instead of high school basketball? Again, I'd say yes. Think of Andre Dawkins. If this was his freshman year, do you think he'd be able to contribute in the same way he has? Although we don't "need" Alex for next year's team the same way we "needed" Andre for last year's team, I think we can all agree that we're a better team with Alex than we are with an open scholarship.

Granted, Alex would be better as a senior in the 2015-2016 season than he would be in the 2014-2015 season, but that seems like a long time to wait to see that pay off.

superdave
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Alex Murphy wont be getting a statue (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41466006/ns/today-entertainment/) in Detroit.

killerleft
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM

That sounds like a lock prediction that he'll play at Duke next year. After all, why spend another year in high school when he could be doing something much more meaningful at the premier basketball university in the nation?

I would put the chances of AM redshirting at Duke at less than 1%. Using your logic, though, there's no way he stays in high school.

cato
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
That sounds like a lock prediction that he'll play at Duke next year. After all, why spend another year in high school when he could be doing something much more meaningful at the premier basketball university in the nation?

I would put the chances of AM redshirting at Duke at less than 1%. Using your logic, though, there's no way he stays in high school.

So, you think that high school basketball is not meaningful basketball? That is the only way to make the comparison you just made.

When you say less than 1% chance of Murphy redshirting, you vastly overestimate the chances. (Unless you mean less than 1% as in 0%, in which case I agree). Since one actually plays in games against other players, high school basketball provides more meaningful opportunities than a redshirt year.

rhcpflea99
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Great pick up. Alex has a great work ethic and should fit in fine at Duke.

Greg_Newton
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I wonder if the "very nice/good week" refers to any of the following:

a) another commitment
b) a domination of the tarholes
c) some good injury news

http://img.splendora.com/files/sueSylvester.jpghttp://virtualopinion.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/47_lehman_brothers.jpg?

killerleft
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
So, you think that high school basketball is not meaningful basketball? That is the only way to make the comparison you just made.

When you say less than 1% chance of Murphy redshirting, you vastly overestimate the chances. (Unless you mean less than 1% as in 0%, in which case I agree). Since one actually plays in games against other players, high school basketball provides more meaningful opportunities than a redshirt year.

We've already decided that a redshirt year is improbable. I was referring to Alex coming to Duke to be a regular freshman using his first year of eligibility.

I only brought up the redshirt thing because it seemed like a better way to improve than to continue against inferior competition (compared to Duke players). I haven't seen him play. You say a fifth year of high school would better serve him and that's fine. I'm not sure that's correct. Thousands of high schoolers would jump at the chance to practice with Duke for a year and then play four years after that. Not gonna happen, but I like THOSE five years as a much better use of a player's time.

P.S Re-reading my post, I can see why you thought I meant a redshirt year. I was only pointing out that Lord Ash's logic points toward us seeing Alex at Duke next year rather than going back for a fifth year in high school.

Dev11
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM

A lot of the Duke players say their practices are much harder than the ACC games they play. It's the main retort to people who use the tired legs argument at the end of the season. I imagine if Alex comes next year, he will get plenty better, but that isn't the point.

The point is that even if Mason and Kyrie are gone, we have 10 guys on the roster, which is enough to be very competitive at their caliber. Alex coming next year would force one recruited player to become the 11th man, which would likely hurt that player's development in practice. I love the enthusiasm, but this is nothing like the situation with Andre, who was brought in to fill a serious need.

Jim3k
02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
6(c)

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I hope all the new recruits will be attending the Duke Unc game on Wed night. That would be so amazing and electric for the Newbies.

Does anyone know? I would think Marshall would be there, however, these kids are in school, and playing basketball in their high school leagues now. Fly in, drive in.... but get to the game!!

NOthing like a packed Cameron, during the Duke/Carolina game!!!!

Lets Go Duke!!! GTHC GTH

Nrrrrvous
02-09-2011, 07:44 AM
I hope all the new recruits will be attending the Duke Unc game on Wed night. That would be so amazing and electric for the Newbies.

Does anyone know? I would think Marshall would be there, however, these kids are in school, and playing basketball in their high school leagues now. Fly in, drive in.... but get to the game!!

Lets Go Duke!!! GTHC GTH

Gbinije has a game tonight. Was thinking about going until I matched up calendars.

JasonEvans
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM

I am not certain, but I would be surprised if schools were allowed to give recruits unlimited numbers of tickets to games. Certainly, recruits can attend games on official visits, but I am unsure about unofficial visits. My point is that I doubt every Duke recruit could come to the Carolina game, regardless of whether it fit into their schedule or their travel plans.

That said, as many have reported, there will be recruits in attendance tonight. I know uncommitted 2012 SG Rasheed Sulaimon will be there. Many folks expect him to commit on his visit. Fingers crossed!!

-Jason "Murphy is not exactly local-- he's from the Northeast so getting to Duke is not just an easy car ride" Evans

Oriole Way
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM

I just think an athlete's age 19-21 years are better and easier for weight gain and physical development than even 1 or 2 years earlier.

Murphy coming early would be less than ideal because he would theoretically be less physically developed in his junior and senior seasons, when he would have the greatest impact as a player while at Duke.

I think here is where Mike Dunleavy becomes an even more important comparison for Murphy. Dunleavy was very thin and about 6'6 when he came to Duke. He was able to gain almost 4 inches in height and considerable weight by the time he was a junior. A huge key for Dunleavy which a lot of people overlook is that Dunleavy was a year older than a lot of kids in his class. I don't know if it's a West Coast thing or not, but that extra year of physical growth and development was huge for Dunleavy. Imagine if Dunleavy had come to Duke a year earlier... it would have taken him longer to contribute because he would have been smaller, both in terms of height and weight.

Dunleavy's growth spurt was very unique and drastic. But who's to say Murphy might not grow even a half an inch, or an inch, in one extra year's time? At Murphy's already ideal size for a forward, it would be even more of an advantage. Not to mention the additional time to allow his metabolism to start slowing down so it will be easier for him to gain weight.

I really think Murphy waiting until 2012 to come to Duke would allow for him to be a bigger and stronger player as a junior and senior than if he arrives a year early, and that will maximize his talent and effectiveness as a player, which will be good for Duke in the long run.

-bdbd
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
....That said, as many have reported, there will be recruits in attendance tonight. I know uncommitted 2012 SG Rasheed Sulaimon will be there. Many folks expect him to commit on his visit. Fingers crossed!!

-Jason "Murphy is not exactly local-- he's from the Northeast so getting to Duke is not just an easy car ride" Evans

Getting a pair of top-20 type commits early can only help (greatly) with some of the other big names that Duke is going after. Keep that momentum rolling! Though the Telep link from the DBR front page sounded like make a little regurgitation of the earlier rumor of a Rasheed pending commitment. But it would be awesome if it happened. Next stop Parker and Shabazz! ;) :D

Jason, I don't know if your earlier comment was based on any sort of "inside knowledge," but I too have been wondering about our limited pursuit of big men for 2012. Given that we could lose one major big after this year (MP2) and will lose MP1 next year, it seems to me that bringing in a quality big (or two!) should be a huge priority. It worries me, therefore, that we seem to to be putting a lot of eggs in the Parker basket. He is obviously very special, and I hope that you are right re K feeling very good about him (otherwise we'd be much more active with 5's and 4's on the recruiting trail...). I'd just feel better if we were going strong after more bigs - as much of the emphsis seems to be on 2's and 3's (and maybe 1's) for 2012.

P.S. Am counting AM as a 3 for this discussion, since that's where he'll get more minutes, at least initially.

-BD "Looks a monster recruiting haul could be brewing" BD

dcdevil2009
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I really think Murphy waiting until 2012 to come to Duke would allow for him to be a bigger and stronger player as a junior and senior than if he arrives a year early, and that will maximize his talent and effectiveness as a player, which will be good for Duke in the long run.

I think we can all agree on a couple things: (1) Murphy will be better suited to contribute in the 2012-2013 season if he spends the 2011-2012 season in a Duke uniform. (2) Murphy will be a year older, and therefore stronger and more experienced, if he's a senior in 2015-2016 instead of 2014-2015. (3) Duke's team is better with Murphy than an empty roster spot.

I'd rather reap the benefits of him coming to campus early in the next couple years than wait for potentially greater benefits of bringing him into the mix a year later because there are so many things that can happen between now and then. Murphy or someone else could go pro, the NBA could change it's age requirement (which would affect who we recruit), someone could get hurt, etc. Duke will be fine either way, and ultimately Murphy should do what's best for him, but it's not guaranteed Duke will be better in the long run if Murphy stays another year in high school.

Greg_Newton
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I think we can all agree on a couple things: (1) Murphy will be better suited to contribute in the 2012-2013 season if he spends the 2011-2012 season in a Duke uniform.

I don't know if you can just assume this as fact. Physically, yes - mentally, who knows. Being prematurely thrust into a super-intense situation you may not be prepared for isn't necessarily a good thing. There's the threat of burnout, the threat of losing some amount of confidence and aggression...

I think it's fairly unlikely Alex will still be around in the 2015-2016 season, regardless... I just don't think early enrollment is a 100%, guaranteed risk-free developmental decision like it's sometimes determined to be by us on the sidelines.

should_be_working
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Looks like Murphy is strongly considering coming to Duke a year early

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/02/17/1071866?sac=Sports

That would make for a very deep Duke team next season especially if Irving and/or MP2 stays.

bdevil4life
02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Assuming Murphy does come early AND assuming Kyrie goes and MP2 stays.... are there enough minutes to spread around? With Miles being the only senior next year, it does not get much better for the following year. Any thoughts on potential transfers?

btw- long time lurker, first time poster!

mkline09
02-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Assuming Murphy does come early AND assuming Kyrie goes and MP2 stays.... are there enough minutes to spread around? With Miles being the only senior next year, it does not get much better for the following year. Any thoughts on potential transfers?

As long as I'm not the coach I'll let K worry about minutes. I also don't think it would be good to arbitrarily just throwing names out as possible transfers. I'm sure the players know and are told you earn your playing time at Duke. They know who is targeted and K is very up front with what players need to do to earn the playing time. So if I were you I wouldn't worry about transfers and play time. Things will work out the way they should.

oldnavy
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
This is the second thread I have seen where the possibility of a kid transferring has come up.

STOP!! Let the morons over on IC speculate on which on of our players are unhappy and rumor monger about that stuff.

MChambers
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
This is the second thread I have seen where the possibility of a kid transferring has come up.

STOP!! Let the morons over on IC speculate on which on of our players are unhappy and rumor monger about that stuff.

Right. If you want to discuss this, I really think you should go elsewhere.

Faison1
02-17-2011, 12:18 PM

I completely agree that speculation on future transfers is wasted energy. However, I must admit that as soon as I read the article, I thought, "Man, I hope he doesn't come early."

At the 3 spot, we will have Dre, and Gbinije (sp?). At the 2, you'll have Rivers and Curry. At 4, you'll have Plumlee, Kelly, and Hairston. I just don't see the pressing need to have another kid come in a year early and ride the pine, or push someone else to ride the pine.

sagegrouse
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, based on your screen name and newness to posting.

But this Board is not the place to gin up discussions of potential Duke transfers.

sagegrouse

moonpie23
02-17-2011, 12:25 PM
seriously? y'all don't think the staff has thought this out?

if they don't want him to come until the year after, he won't.....i think they've got a handle on it...

Bluedog
02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
I think Murphy would actually fit in pretty nicely next season as really the only 3/4 guy. Although certainly there'd be major competition for minutes. Obviously, no coach goes 12 deep in his rotation. Here is the possible roster next season assuming KI leaves and MP2 stays if Murphy comes early:

Tyler Thornton (1)
Quinn Cook (1)
Seth Curry (1,2)
Austin Rivers (2,3)
Andre Dawkins (2,3)
Michael Gbinije (2,3)
Alex Murphy (3,4)
Josh Hairston (4)
Ryan Kelly (4,5)
Mason Plumlee (4,5)
Miles Plumlee (4,5)
Marshall Plumlee (5)

Looks like a talented team to me! The question would be who would step up in the leadership category. That's a fairly young team with only one senior. If KI stays, that's at the max 13 number of scholarships, which Coach K typically doesn't like to do.

InSpades
02-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Murphy would actually fit in pretty nicely next season as really the only 3/4 guy. Although certainly there'd be major competition for minutes. Obviously, no coach goes 12 deep in his rotation. Here is the possible roster next season assuming KI leaves and MP2 stays if Murphy comes early:

Tyler Thornton (1)
Quinn Cook (1)
Seth Curry (1,2)
Austin Rivers (2,3)
Andre Dawkins (2,3)
Michael Gbinije (2,3)
Alex Murphy (3,4)
Josh Hairston (4)
Ryan Kelly (4,5)
Mason Plumlee (4,5)
Miles Plumlee (4,5)
Marshall Plumlee (5)

Looks like a talented team to me! The question would be who would step up in the leadership category. That's a fairly young team with only one senior.

Do we have enough scholarships assuming Kyrie sticks around? Either way it's getting pretty crowded :). The downside of such great recruiting is finding everyone playing time. But I guess that's a luxury most teams would like to have.

should_be_working
02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
G: (Irving??) Cook, Thornton
G: Rivers, Curry
G/F: Dawkins, Murphy, Gbinjie
F: Kelly, Hairston
C: MP1, (MP2?) MP3

That's a lot of quality players fighting for minutes

There's been talk of MP3 possibly red-shirting too, that might be benificial for him to strengthen up for the center position.

bdevil4life
02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, based on your screen name and newness to posting.

But this Board is not the place to gin up discussions of potential Duke transfers.

sagegrouse

mea culpa. Speculation of this sort serves no positive purpose. Perhaps I am just jaded from an early age. I was a big Billy McCaffrey fan!

mkline09
02-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Do we have enough scholarships assuming Kyrie sticks around? Either way it's getting pretty crowded :). The downside of such great recruiting is finding everyone playing time. But I guess that's a luxury most teams would like to have.

I think I read in a Jeff Goodman piece when it was first discussed that Duke claimed they were prepared to take him early if that is what he decided. I'd assume if they were ready to take him early they have a scholarship. Couldn't find the link, perhaps someone else saw that piece and knows what I'm talking about.

mkline09
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
mea culpa. Speculation of this sort serves no positive purpose. Perhaps I am just jaded from an early age. I was a big Billy McCaffrey fan!

You mean that kid who'd rather shoot with a hand in his face then eat when he is hungry?

jaygdevil11
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
G: (Irving??) Cook, Thornton
G: Rivers, Curry
G/F: Dawkins, Murphy, Gbinjie
F: Kelly, Hairston
C: MP1, (MP2?) MP3

That's a lot of quality players fighting for minutes

There's been talk of MP3 possibly red-shirting too, that might be benificial for him to strengthen up for the center position.

It might not be as crowed if MP3 redshirts, which I think this idea has been brought up.

InSpades
02-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I think I read in a Jeff Goodman piece when it was first discussed that Duke claimed they were prepared to take him early if that is what he decided. I'd assume if they were ready to take him early they have a scholarship. Couldn't find the link, perhaps someone else saw that piece and knows what I'm talking about.

I briefly thought the limit was 12, but looks like it is 13, so no worries :). I didn't really think they would give away Kyrie's scholarship anyway!

MIKESJ73
02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
If Kyrie comes back and Alex comes early we should alternate two teams through Xmas.

Blue:
PG - Kyrie
SG - Seth
SF - Dre
PF - Kelly
C - MP2

White:
PG - Tyler
SG - Austin
SF - Murphy
PF - Josh
C - MP1

Reserves could play on both teams: Cook, Gbinije, and MP1

Those are two of the best teams in the country. I would love to go watch those practices!!!

should_be_working
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Haha. Talk of transferring on this board is a very dicey endeavor. I remember it wasn't too long after I first joined that I made a comment about the possibility of Olek transferring and it wasn't taken too kindly. I pretty much got an e-lashing! haha Unfortunately transfers do happen though - they are part of the game. Players have transferred from Duke in the past and I'm sure it will happen again in the future. Best not to talk about it here though.

johnb
02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Great to have a new participant. Mentioning possible transfers is potentially risky around here, but I'm sure that since it's your first post, everyone will cut you slack.

Not.

gam7
02-17-2011, 01:43 PM
If Kyrie comes back and Alex comes early we should alternate two teams through Xmas.

Coach K did experiment with 5-for-5 substitutions back in 1996-97 and 1997-98, and aside from the short-lived intimidation factor of seeing 5 fresh, quality guys come onto the court, it didn't work out so well. It really messed with the rhythm of the team. Since then, Coach K has avoided the 5-for-5 substitutions (except when used as a motivational tactic).

CharlestonDevil
02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Can we all just stop for a moment and appreciate the fact that we have this "problem".

We could be 8 miles to the east where they have to scrounge up 5th year senior transfers and research JUCO point guards to fill their roster...

Class of '94
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Coach K did experiment with 5-for-5 substitutions back in 1996-97 and 1997-98, and aside from the short-lived intimidation factor of seeing 5 fresh, quality guys come onto the court, it didn't work out so well. It really messed with the rhythm of the team. Since then, Coach K has avoided the 5-for-5 substitutions (except when used as a motivational tactic).

I could be mistaken, but I thought Coach K used the 5 for 5 substitution pattern for the 1998-99 regular season; and it worked out pretty well for that team. They went undefeated through the ACC regular season (and that was at a time where the ACC still had a round robin schedule) and won the ACC tournament. It wasn't until the final 4 that year where he shortened the rotation/bench, especially the championship game. I've always wondered if we would have won that NCAA championship game against UConn if Coach K had used more players.

Duvall
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought Coach K used the 5 for 5 substitution pattern for the 1998-99 regular season; and it worked out pretty well for that team. They went undefeated through the ACC regular season (and that was at a time where the ACC still had a round robin schedule) and won the ACC tournament.

I think you're mistaken - the 1999 team only had nine rotation players (Avery, Langdon, Brand, Carrawell, Battier, Maggette, Burgess, James and Domzalski).

dcdevil2009
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
It might not be as crowed if MP3 redshirts, which I think this idea has been brought up.

I've noticed a lot of talk about recruits redshirting their freshman year, but don't remember any Duke players in recent memory who have taken non-medical redshirts. Have there been any in the past 15 or so years?

I know it's technically possible for someone to take a redshirt year, but unless it's happened more than once or twice, I don't see it as a realistic outcome for anyone next year.

sagegrouse
02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I've noticed a lot of talk about recruits redshirting their freshman year, but don't remember any Duke players in recent memory who have taken non-medical redshirts. Have there been any in the past 15 or so years?

I know it's technically possible for someone to take a redshirt year, but unless it's happened more than once or twice, I don't see it as a realistic outcome for anyone next year.

It han't happened any time recently. Eric Meek should have red-shirted his freshman year (1991-1992), given that he was hit by a car while jogging in the evening during the spring of his senior year in HS. But then he would have missed the ring from being on a NC team.

I understand that Olek Czyz was encouraged to red shirt but said no.

sagegrouse

_TheFakeJWill_
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
you know you have a completely nasty team if you have a McDonalds AA redshirt. i would guess thats never happened before for non medical reasons.

fgb
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
i always sort of wished zoubs had redshirted one of his injury years. i still do.

pfrduke
02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
you know you have a completely nasty team if you have a McDonalds AA redshirt. i would guess thats never happened before for non medical reasons.

Brian Butch.

Duvall
02-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Matt Christensen redshirted during the 1999 season after he returned from his Mormon mission to get back into playing shape. But that was after two years away from basketball, not coming out of high school.

Class of '94
02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
I think you're mistaken - the 1999 team only had nine rotation players (Avery, Langdon, Brand, Carrawell, Battier, Maggette, Burgess, James and Domzalski).

You're right; but I still believe Coach K shortened his bench (to a 6-7 player rotation) at the final 4 compared to earlier in the tournament and during the regular season after having good success with a larger rotation of players.

gam7
02-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Another reason Murphy's coming a year early may be a good thing for Duke is that it may be easier to convince a guy like Jabari Parker (class of '13), who will play the same position as Murphy, that there will be room for him, particularly if it looks as though Murphy will be a 2-or-3-and-done player.

BD80
02-19-2011, 07:08 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110217/od_nm/us_robocob_statue_odd

Actually, its a statue of RoboCop, but it is the same thing

hughesmiester
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Hello all....I live in Worcester, MA - which is about 20 mins away from Southboro, where Alex goes to St. Mark's. Anyways, yesterday I was able to get down to Southboro to see Alex play against the Hotchkiss School in a NEPSAC quarterfinal matchup. Besides Alex, I was also very interested in seeing his teammate and classmate, Kaleb Tarczewski, the seven footer.

Hotchkiss has some legit talent on their team, Derrick Wilson, a guard is going to Marquette in the fall, while Mike Tobey, a 6'11 forward committed to Virginia from the class of 2012. They also have a guard, Clyde Smith who is being targeted by BC and Notre Dame among others. So basically it was a good chance for me to see Alex against some good competition.

Basic impressions?

Alex was by far the most polished player on the court. Everything he did was very, very smooth. He gets to the hole like nobody's business, I mean what a slasher. Played lockdown defense, just in your face, whether it be out on the perimeter or down low in the post. Alex in transition was something else to watch. On one play, he took a rebound, then went coast to coast, switching hands from his right to his left to elude a defender before slamming it home with his left. Crowd went nuts, and this was a huge play too, as it came late in the game after St. Mark's had trailed throughout, and put them up by about 4 points with four minutes remaining.

He is going to create all types of matchup problems for opponents. He's 6'8, but he's really quick so when the big boys are guarding him, he's going to make them work chasing him all over the court. I can't wait!

He definitely will need to bulk up a bit, and he only took one jump shot from the field (an air balled 3-pointer which he was wide open for) but you can see what Duke sees in him for sure.

As for Kaleb? Well he started out a bit slow, with Tobey getting the better of him for the first ten minutes or so. But when he got going - wow. He rejected several shots down low, and has one of the prettiest hook shots that a 16-17 year old kid could ever have. I wouldn't say he's raw, but he doesn't seem to be as fluid as Alex, at least to me. It will come, though. Let's just hope he doesn't go to UNC, as I was hearing yesterday that they have been after him hard lately.

Well, I'm sure you knew alot of what I said, but I just wanted to give my two cents, and I hope that it was somewhat informative.

Keep your fingers crossed for St. Mark's to win tomorrow night in the semifinals, because then I can go see them in the championship game at Endicott College (in Beverly) on Sunday. Plus, I'm rooting for St. Thomas More to win tomorrow night as well, so I can see Andre Drummond (#1 player in class of 2012 - center) play as well. They are in seperate divisions, so St. Mark's would play at 2 and St. Thomas More at 4.

Go Duke!