PDA

View Full Version : Herald Sun Access

OZZIE4DUKE
06-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I think this is on topic because of all the articles in the HS that the DBR links to.

I resisted registering for the HS web access out of general principle, until a couple of weeks ago when I tried the bugmenot Firefox addon. To my great surprise there was a login there titled "dbraccess" and it worked. Of course I saved the login info so I wouldn't have to re-enter it each time.

It does NOT work any more. I guess the HS figured this wasn't a "real" person and they deleted or blocked it. Thought some of you might want to know.

And yes, I broke down and registered. But no, I'm not going to share it with anyone.

Cicero
06-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure why DBR continues to link to the Herald-Sun, especially after lambasting them for their terrible lacrosse coverage, summarily firing their best employees, and engaging in general mediocrity (especially compared to the News & Observer).

Given all its problems, I can't bring myself to register for the Herald-Sun's online drivel. When the registration screen appears, I thank it for reminding me not to support such a crappy publication. Frankly, I haven't missed Dascenzo's rambling, semi-incoherent columns a bit.

M. Tullius

mgtr
06-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I refuse, on general principles, to register for any newspaper info. I do not understand why they bother to ask. I am not a total privacy freak, but I also do not give out my SSN anymore. Why make it any easier to let people rip you off?

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
The HS keeps calling me with trial offers for subscriptions. They are absolutely as dumb as Nifong (bless their hearts). No matter how many times you show them the door, they still don't get the message.

I live in CH and the Chapel Hill Newspaper (free delivery) doesn't get the message that I don't want that non-news paper cluttering up my driveway either. What IS it with these folks?

Love, Ima

Cicero
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, my mom had a similar problem. She canceled her subscription to the Herald-Sun, but they kept delivering pro bono for the next several months. That seems appropriate, given that there new business model seems to be to run the paper into the ground ASAP.

M. Tullius

OZZIE4DUKE
06-23-2007, 11:55 PM
They are absolutely as dumb as Nifong (bless their hearts).

Ima, I just love the way you keep saying "bless their hearts"! I know that it is the genteel southern ladies' way of saying "those stupid SOBs"

Bob Green
06-24-2007, 04:05 AM
The Coach K article by Bryan Strickland currently linked on the front page is a very good read. Registering is, worse case, a minor irritation.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Exactly. That's one of the first things I learned when moving here from the Midwest. Here, you can call anybody any awful thing just as long as you follow up with "bless his heart"!

Love, Ima

HK Dukie
06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I also refuse to register for the Herald-Sun out of principle. I would do the same thing for the NY Times, but I've been registered for a while there and at least they came around a bit sooner.

4decadedukie
06-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, I have registered for the HS site, although I strongly agree it is a terrible, entirely unprofessional newspaper and that it's coverage of the lacrosse hoax has been generally abominable. I read the HS, only to ascertain their latest Nifong-supportive foolishness (this appears to have ceased in the last weeks, but they certainly made multiple highly-incorrect news and editorial decisions in the last fifteen months) and to see the incredibly divergent values and views advocated in the letters. It is particularly interesting to contrast their non-Triangle letters (I suspect principally from Dukies) to their locally originated ones.