PDA

View Full Version : Coach K comments on next year and more..

365Duke
06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Coach says he would put our Duke pro's against anybody, nice tidbits on McBob, next year, vacation, and Team USA:D

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/1525150/

DevilAlumna
06-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm glad to see this. I wonder if it's part of a larger plan around increasing PR to stem the anti-Duke tide. I seem to recall K mentioning something around the end of the season, that maybe he needed to get out more out in front of stories.

If it's not part of an overall revamp of the MBB PR, I'm sure there's some Fuqua Marketing club that'd be happy to help write that plan. :)

YmoBeThere
06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Not sure how to take the Bobby comment at the end..."journeyman". Probably accurate, but being classmate not a label I would ever use.

JBDuke
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Not sure how to take the Bobby comment at the end..."journeyman". Probably accurate, but being classmate not a label I would ever use.

He also said "starter". I love Bobby, too, but I think it's safe to say that Bobby was the kind of talent that would work with some teams but not others. He could start for a team that needed a pure point guard and had other players they could depend on to be bigger and more physical on the perimeter or driving to the lane. For other teams, he'd be relegated to the second squad.

Either way, I sure wish we'd had more time to watch him play. I loved watching Bobby run a team.

kydevil
06-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Agreed, it all depends on the system you are in. Prime Example Steve Nash.

mapei
06-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Big difference between being a journeyman in the pros and being one in college. Frankly, when Duke players don't pan out in the pros, I take it as a complement to the program and the system that we get more out of less than other teams do.

Bobby is the best college point guard I have ever seen.

4decadedukie
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
"I take it as a complement to the program and the system that we get more out of less than other teams do."

I have also believed this for MANY years. The pundits who have (more in the past, than currently) criticized K and the Duke program for mediocre individual performance in the NBA have always seemed to miss the essential point -- through discipline, teamwork and leadership, Coach K (his assistants and his system) extracts more from our athletes than his top-flight peers do from theirs'.