PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hairston; future ESPN anchor?

Lord Ash
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
So while the Top 5 is fun, I have to admit I was more impressed by how smooth and natural Josh sounded in the second half of this video... about as smooth as anyone I've ever seen doing these, and that includes Nolan and Kyrie!

Josh Hairston Audition Tape
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbxyquQ8pZ8&feature=feedu)
We are very lucky to have these young men as our basketball players and reps for our university.

ElSid
02-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Love it. This team seems to really get along.

Hairston is one of the most entertaining people to watch on the Duke bench in a long time. I am positive he'd rather be entertaining to watch on the court, but you get it. His reactions are priceless.

The Duke effort to make the program and the players more accessible has resulted in a fine product with Duke Blue Planet. Really enjoy everything they put together. Thanks.

strawbs
02-04-2011, 12:01 AM
So while the Top 5 is fun, I have to admit I was more impressed by how smooth and natural Josh sounded in the second half of this video... about as smooth as anyone I've ever seen doing these, and that includes Nolan and Kyrie!

We are very lucky to have these young men as our basketball players and reps for our university.

I was gonna post the exact same thing after I watched the top 5 but i see you beat me too it. I absolutely agree with you. He sounded really smooth with his questions. I could definitely see him doing this when he's done with basketball.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm sure Josh will have a great career PLAYING for Duke, but he does has a talent for interviewing others while holding the mic. That is not an easy thing to do, even when you're "only" talking to your friends and teammates, as we all can tell watching the telecasts.

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm sure Josh will have a great career PLAYING for Duke, but he does has a talent for interviewing others while holding the mic. That is not an easy thing to do, even when you're "only" talking to your friends and teammates, as we all can tell watching the telecasts.

Josh's voice is clear, soothing, and has the ability to handle distractions (cough Andre cough) quite well. I liked how Kyrie took over interviewing responsibilities once he was out and enjoyed his questions and how we jelled with teammates. But my lord! Kyrie's voice mimics his dribbling skills - ridiculously fast!

weezie
02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Darling boys, really. A sweet bunch of guys...with murderous mayhem in their basketball minds.
Let's GO Duke!

Exiled_Devil
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Josh's voice is clear, soothing, and has the ability to handle distractions (cough Andre cough) quite well. I liked how Kyrie took over interviewing responsibilities once he was out and enjoyed his questions and how we jelled with teammates. But my lord! Kyrie's voice mimics his dribbling skills - ridiculously fast!

I've noticed this trend in all of the videos. They really like busting on each other. One other point I've noticed is how engaged Kyrie has been in these interviews, which is great. It tells me that he is really attached to the program even though his toe has limited his playing.

cptnflash
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
+1 for Josh on ESPN someday! He's a very articulate young man. (His interview subject could learn a thing or two about speaking on camera, though.)

taiw93
02-04-2011, 10:53 PM
One thing I have noticed about Duke players over the years is that just about every single one of them is very well-spoken and good in front of a camera - a great contrast to some other teams' players whose speech is unintelligible. Not sure if this is due to media training or the types of kids we recruit, but I would guess that it's a combination of the two.

I agree that media could very well be in Josh's future, and, I must add, I love the beard he's been sporting all season. It's almost Zoubekesque.

sagegrouse
02-04-2011, 11:30 PM
One thing I have noticed about Duke players over the years is that just about every single one of them is very well-spoken and good in front of a camera - a great contrast to some other teams' players whose speech is unintelligible. Not sure if this is due to media training or the types of kids we recruit, but I would guess that it's a combination of the two.

I agree that media could very well be in Josh's future, and, I must add, I love the beard he's been sporting all season. It's almost Zoubekesque.

I have thought about the general problem of "how do college students learn and mature" for a long time. Far be it from me to suggest a scientific experiment, but I have at least refined my opinion: I think much of what students learn about verbal expression, logical thought, and formulation of arguments comes from interaction with fellow students several hours a day and not just from listening to professors 12 hours per week.

If your fellow students, including fellow athletes, speak intelligently, exercise their vocabularies, compose good sentences, and construct decent arguments, even -- or especially -- on the most inane subjects, then you will learn to do so as well. Anyway, at Duke and other such universities, the poise and speaking ability of the students pretty much comes from the water supply, in the sense that students are participating in a community where they learn from interacting with others.

Thus, I truly believe students benefit from an on-campus or comparable living experience, even if an independent observer would appalled at the frivolity of most topics and the lack of seriousness of discussions.

My only empirical evidence is anecdotal: After Duke, I went to grad school at Rice, which had both smart students and a large commuter population, being in one of the largest US cities. I noticed that the commuter kids, who went home every afternoon to their family and neighborhood friends, grew up far less over two or three years than the kids living in the dorms. In effect, the "townies" had far less of a learning experience, even though the book-learning might have been very similar.

Anyway, if you go or are sending someone to college, go to college where they live with other students, not at home.

I could go on, but the Mods just confiscated my soapbox.

sagegrouse

sbroc012
02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
As far as Duke players being well-spoken on camera, I attended the Duke Basketball Camp when i was younger, and I explicitly remember Coach K telling all of us that all the Duke players go through a "class" on how to deal with the media and talk on camera.

If you notice whenever a Duke player conducts a postgame interview, rarely do they focus on their accomplishments of the night, rather its a very team oriented answer.

Verga3
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Couldn't agree more Lord Ash! Thanks for posting. Great, together team...Have seen them all (since 60's), but dare I say that this is the most talented, top to bottom, of any Duke team ever? We shall see....

Josh is certainly poised and fun in front of the camera...Coach, Chris, Wojo and Nate really do understand how to recruit at Duke. Thank you!!!