PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-NC State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
The battered Wolfpack come to Cameron for a 6PM ET matchup on Saturday. State lost at home to Virginia Tech last night and are only 2-6 in the ACC. Freshman PG Ryan Harrow has missed the last two games because of illness, and I am not sure of his status for Saturday. Still, this is a talented team with no pressure on it.

The questions:

1. Is this a "trap game?" I dunno, but I expect a tough game.

2. Will Duke build on the success of Mason inside and start getting the ball into the post on a regular basis? Will Ryan resume his good outside shooting?

3. Will Tyler start at point against the Pack? You know, he's a tough, belligerent player, as he demonstrated last night and in his few minutes (and five fouls) against St. John's.

4. Lights out from three? Will the good shooting continue at home, esp. from sharpshooters Andre and Seth?

5. Was Maryland Kyle's breakout game? He always seem to come on late in the season.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd start Tyler at PG until we have someone (cough cough) else ready to take over, say later this month (cough cough). :cool: It's a nice transition (back) to that style of play and it puts Nolan in the position where HE is most effective and the team is in its best position to win its last 10 games of the season, like last year. Just sayin'.

dukeballboy88
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I think K or Mason reads the DBR(lol) because I said earlier in the week that there is no big man in the country that can face guard Mason 15ft away from the basket. So instead of getting the ball with his back to the basket he got it and faced his opponent and took him off the dribble early and got involved in the offense early.

Id iso him against Tracy Smith or the Howell kid from State and let him take either off the dribble and hopefully if nothing else get there bigs in foul trouble. Once he gets established, there will be many more open looks for our shooters. He is to quick and has some handle to get by any big man in the country. I hope he continues his aggresive play.

Matches
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd start Tyler at PG until we have someone (cough cough) else ready to take over, say later this month (cough cough). :cool: It's a nice transition (back) to that style of play and it puts Nolan in the position where HE is most effective and the team is in its best position to win its last 10 games of the season, like last year. Just sayin'.

Yep. If we were to add a player in a few weeks, it'd be tough to expect that player (who may have been sitting out due to an injury) to step in and immediately play 30-35 mpg, particularly if the player had (just to pick an example at random) a foot injury. Conditioning is an elusive thing, and it's hard to just step (ha!) back in and be in game shape.

But what if we kept starting TT, playing a more deliberate pace, and then bringing in this new addition for 3-4 minute stretches where we just ran the floor with abandon? It'd be like the Russians activating Ivan Drago after letting Apollo wear himself out.

Anyway - key to beating State is containing (not stopping - containing) Smith, and not letting their 3p shooters get out of control.

UrinalCake
02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
NC State is on life support right now and desperately needs this win to salvage their season (and perhaps Sidney Lowe's job). Still, despite my high expectations from them at the start of the season, I just don't see them pulling it off. They'll need a monster game from Smith, some threes from Wood, and contributions from everybody else to have a chance. If Duke plays their game we should win comfortably. No looking ahead to next week!

pfrduke
02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Can I just say how happy I am to have these:

:D MBB: Duke-NC State Pre-Game Thread

back again? Don't think no one noticed the karma, sage. ;)

Kedsy
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

I think it is, and I'm concerned. I expect a very tight game and hopefully we come out with a W.

94duke
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Maybe. Hopefully we build off of the MD game.
Hopefully being at home will help.

gumbomoop
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
NC State is on life support right now and desperately needs this win to salvage their season (and perhaps Sidney Lowe's job).

I have to believe [well, that's not literally true] that Lowe has to beat both Duke and UNC to get another year. I'm going to hope, for his sake, that even if he loses Sat to Duke, a revenge win against the Heels might do the trick. But surely that's his only, very last, hope.

Onlyduke
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
No matter how good Duke is .... or how bad State is .... it's always a tense game.

Devil07
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Maybe. Hopefully we build off of the MD game.
Hopefully being at home will help.

To me this is the biggest issue going into this game. Will we build off of what we did at MD? I expected us to come back after St. Johns with good energy and focus, but will we maintain that edge now that we've bounced back from what happened in NYC? I liked what I saw last night, but I'll be particularly interested to see whether we maintain that level of play, build off of it, or take a step back.

In terms of specifics, I'll be looking to see how we do with guard penetration. That has been a pretty consistent problem the past few games, so I'll be interested to see whether that trend continues or whether we're able to tighten up our perimeter D.

Class of '94
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for Josh to get some playing time and hopefully increase his confidence. As Duke heads into late March and early February, I think the team could benefit from his active body in games.

-bdbd
02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I see State hanging tough for most of the first half. But as fragile as their confidence is right now, I don't see them with the fortitude to fight back, especially in Cameron, once they get behind by much. Stay focused Duke. One game at a time.

Looking forward to seeing KI sans-boot!

NSDukeFan
02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I hope Harrow plays, both because I hope he is healthy enough to play and I think it gives Duke more in-game time playing against a very quick player on the perimeter.

Kedsy
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for Josh to get some playing time and hopefully increase his confidence. As Duke heads into late March and early February, I think the team could benefit from his active body in games.

Why do you think this? If it's because State is a big team and you think we can use the extra big body, then you may have a point, but probably only if Miles, Mason, or Ryan get into foul trouble. If it's because you think State is an easy win and/or Josh will be able to succeed more against State than he would against other teams, I think you're way off base. State hasn't been winning but they're a very talented team.

Personally, I think winning the game is more important than increasing the confidence of the 9th (or 10th, if Kyrie returns) man in our rotation. Obviously it's what Coach K thinks that counts, though, so if he thinks Josh should see the court I'm all for it. Either way, I'd be surprised if Josh is playing all that much in late March, and even if he is it won't be just because he got a little extra run on February 5.

wilson
02-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Much like Maryland, I think this is an intriguing stylistic matchup, because like the Twerps, the 'Pack have a very talented frontcourt. I'd like to see some of the same aggression we saw from the bigs (especially Miles) in College Park, and also some of the same overall commitment to overall balance that the whole team showed. Lots of folks have mentioned how the very first play against Maryland, an inlet to Mason, really helped to set a tone, and I agree. I'd like to see pretty much exactly the same tomorrow.

I really don't think State has the horses or the overall basketball IQ (among its players or its coaches) to make this one especially close, but I'd like to see our boys not play with that sort of attitude. As demonstrated by a couple of Maryland second-half runs, killer instinct is another trait that has yet to really coalesce with this year's group.

I join NSDukeFan in hoping that Harrow plays, because that makes State a much more complete team, and thus a more worthy challenge. As I said in my post in the Maryland post-game thread, I thought last night's game showed more steady, overall balance in our team than we've seen in quite some time. That, above all else, is what I'd like to see more of.

moonpie23
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
it's definitely a trap....sid will bring the red jacket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0&feature=related

davekay1971
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I hope Harrow plays, both because I hope he is healthy enough to play and I think it gives Duke more in-game time playing against a very quick player on the perimeter.

This will be key. Harrow has matured tremendously over the year and is ready to step up as State's floor general. I think we'll really see the evidence of his growth next year, but State is already much better when he's running the show.

Sadly, I don't see this being a close game. Don't get me wrong, I want Duke to win. But I have enough affection for State to want to see them do well. I just think Sidney has really lost the team now. Not so much that they dislike him or aren't listening to him...I think the players simply don't have confidence in what he's telling them, and therefore they don't have confidence in their ability, as a team, to get a tough win. State may come out all right (though their m.o. lately has been to come out slow and get behind early), but I tend to agree with the thought that, if we put a run on them and build a significant lead, they won't have the confidence to come back.

I think it'll be Duke comfortably.

loran16
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
NC State is going to bring everything they have at us....this is probably their last chance at any run at the tournament barring an ACC Tourny miracle (And there's no Engin Atsur on this team).

On the other hand, we should win this game comfortably. State is a bad team we beat by double digits on the road, and we should do so EASILY at home. Really we should imitate UNC against NC State, right here.

I don't think it's a trap game in that we might lose, it's a trap game in that we might be lazy and only win by 10. NC State just isn't coached well enough to be a trap team, unlike say...UVA, who is.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Anyone thinking that we're going to come into this game less than full-force is incorrect IMO. A toungue-lashing from coach seems to last more than one game.

I expect to build from the MD game, and I think the players will be glad to have the road travels of the last few weeks behind them. State will play tough, but I will be highly surprised if we do not bring maximum home intensity.

dukelifer
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Just saw an interview of Tracy Smith on WRAL and after the game yesterday he was limping badly. Apparently he hurt his knee- same knee on which he had surgery - not sure how bad but he may not be 100%. Something to watch.

UrinalCake
02-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Just saw an interview of Tracy Smith on WRAL and after the game yesterday he was limping badly. Apparently he hurt his knee- same knee on which he had surgery - not sure how bad but he may not be 100%. Something to watch.

That's really unfortunate for them if he's reinjured the knee. They were not the same team without him earlier in the year and he presents really the only advantage they have in their matchup with us. Only possible good news is that it gives Lowe an "excuse" for losing (assuming they lose).

JStuart
02-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm not a big Super Bowl enthusiast, but isn't the State start time 30 minutes before the GB-Steelers kickoff? Ignore this if I've got my times mixed up.

Philsfan
02-04-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm not a big Super Bowl enthusiast, but isn't the State start time 30 minutes before the GB-Steelers kickoff? Ignore this if I've got my times mixed up.

Game's tomorrow--Super Bowl's Sunday.

77devil
02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
The battered Wolfpack come to Cameron for a 6PM ET matchup on Saturday. State lost at home to Virginia Tech last night and are only 2-6 in the ACC. Freshman PG Ryan Harrow has missed the last two games because of illness, and I am not sure of his status for Saturday. Still, this is a talented team with no pressure on it.

The questions:

2. Will Duke build on the success of Mason inside and start getting the ball into the post on a regular basis? Will Ryan resume his good outside shooting?

3. Will Tyler start at point against the Pack? You know, he's a tough, belligerent player, as he demonstrated last night and in his few minutes (and five fouls) against St. John's.

4. Lights out from three? Will the good shooting continue at home, esp. from sharpshooters Andre and Seth?

5. Was Maryland Kyle's breakout game? He always seem to come on late in the season.

sagegrouse

Trap game? Perhaps if it was in Raleigh with Tracy Smith at 100%, but I think after this stretch of 4 of 5 on the road the team will feed off the energy of the friendly confines of CIS. Look for State to bring it, but our guys pull away comfortably, if not big, in the second half.

Bob Green
02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
The questions:

2. Will Duke build on the success of Mason inside and start getting the ball into the post on a regular basis?

sagegrouse

Thanks for posting these great questions. They form a nice framework for discussing the game. I see #2 being dependent upon #3. Tyler Thornton seemed to look to dish the ball inside and involve the bigs in the offense. So if Thornton starts, and I believe he will, then Duke will build of the success Mason achieved against Maryland.

JStuart
02-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Game's tomorrow--Super Bowl's Sunday.
Now you see why I don't post very often...
"Never mind", E. Latella.

Ping Lin
02-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Fun factoid: When was the last time a K-coached team lost to North Carolina State at Cameron Indoor Stadium?

taiw93
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm very confident about Duke's chances in this game, but I do not expect an @UNC redux from State, either. I anticipate a hard-fought and inspired effort from the Wolfpack, and would not be surprised at all if this game was within five at the half.

Prediction: Duke 82 - State 71

94duke
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Fun factoid: When was the last time a K-coached team lost to North Carolina State at Cameron Indoor Stadium?

Don't jinx us! ;) :p

(excluding '95, we last lost to state in 1988!)

cptnflash
02-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't think it's a trap game in that we might lose, it's a trap game in that we might be lazy and only win by 10. NC State just isn't coached well enough to be a trap team, unlike say...UVA, who is.

Totally agree. I think losing is basically impossible, but we could mess around and only win by single digits if we're not focused inside and they have a good day shooting from outside.

Bob Green
02-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I think losing is basically impossible...

I disagree. In conference play upsets happen every week. The key is to respect the game, respect yourself and respect the opponent.

Will we lose? Nah! Because the coaching staff and players will be focused and execute the game plan. They definitely will not walk onto the court with a ho hum...yawn..."let's get this game with State over with so we can go eat a pizza" attitude.

Jholt915
02-05-2011, 09:34 AM

The answer to this is 1995 I believe. I think if State is without Harrow Duke wins this game comfortably by 20+. If Harrow doesn't play I believe that Duke can force Gonzalez to turn the ball over. If Harrow plays, I still think Duke wins, but it might be closer.

Bob Green
02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
The answer to this is 1995 I believe.

I believe you just allowed Ping Lin to reel you in as when Duke lost to State in 1995 Pete Gaudet was coaching the team not Coach K.

dukediv2011
02-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Ozzie: Do you have a cold?;)

Faison1
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
In general, when are starting lineups released to the public?

There have been so many changes this season, I am not sure who is starting beyond Kyle and Nolan.

I'm really hoping Tyler has built on his last performance and practiced well this week.

I flip-flop between optimism and pessimism on the future of Kyrie, and therefore hope Tyler uses this opportunity to improve and blossom.

HateCarolina
02-05-2011, 10:10 AM

sagegrouse

Thanks for posting these great questions. They form a nice framework for discussing the game. I see #2 being dependent upon #3. Tyler Thornton seemed to look to dish the ball inside and involve the bigs in the offense. So if Thornton starts, and I believe he will, then Duke will build of the success Mason achieved against Maryland.

This does present an interesting question of why Nolan does not dish to the bigs in offense as much as Tyler (and Kyrie earlier in the season). I guess one obvious reason could be that he, Nolan, needs to score whereas Tyler does not need to focus on scoring as much, but then the flipside is how was Kyrie able to get the bigs and particularly Mason involved while still scoring at a high rate. I'd really like to hear other's opinions on this subject and it may be that I'm off base and that Nolan has been dishing but Mason and the other bigs have not looked to/been unable to score in the paint.

Go Duke and here's to hoping Mason, Miles, Ryan, and maybe even Josh have a big game.

Jholt915
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I believe you just allowed Ping Lin to reel you in as when Duke lost to State in 1995 Pete Gaudet was coaching the team not Coach K.

Ah yes, reeled in succesfully. Next time I should read the question thoroughly.

davekay1971
02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I suspect that Thornton will start the game, particularly if Harrow is healthy and playing. Thornton provides a very nice defensive solution to Harrow's ability to penetrate, which is the strongest part of Harrow's game at this point.

Hopefully we'll see Mason on Smith. I would love to see Smith healthy, (1) because he seems like a great kid with a decent chance to have a career in the NBA, and I don't want to see this knee injury become a chronic problem for him, and (2) because the more Mason has to defend active, skilled big men, the better he's going to get at post defense.

Look for Kelly to have a big game today. State doesn't have a good matchup for him, since we can expect to see Leslie on Singler, and Smith, Howell, and Painter aren't comfortable guarding that far from the basket.

Can't wait for gametime!

Devilsfan
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
The perfect "trap" game. How do you get yourself up for a team as bad as the wolfpack with its lame duck coach and injured star big man and with your riralry game just five days away? Thank goodness we're at home and have the crazies to help get us get through this "scrimage".

Faison1
02-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey DaveKay,
That is an awesome quote from Valvano.

I just had the opportunity to have lunch with Les Robinson the other day. He spoke to a group of realtors (read: told stories) about his coaching experiences. Les made the crowd roar with laughter on several occasions when remembering battles with Dean and K. When one thinks back on the men and coaches in the history of NC State, it certainly is colorful.

I truly hope the next hire for State is a good one. State needs to be good again.

moonpie23
02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
i have to work tonight till about 8, but i'll have my slingbox on...

remember folks, all it takes is one kid to heat up and pitch his career game from 3pt land to make a seemingly easy game become a tough one.......that coupled with a slow start, cold shooting and you've got a recipe for a meltdown on here later...

let's just focus, enjoy the game and leave that over confident smack talk to the folks down the road...

moonpie23
02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I truly hope the next hire for State is a good one. State needs to be good again.

mark few....

mgtr
02-05-2011, 11:30 AM
mark few....

Well, maybe not that good a coach!:)

loran16
02-05-2011, 12:40 PM
mark few....

lol, Few's gotten better offers than NC State on the west side of the country....he ain't leaving Gonzaga for State.

Also, the Gonzaga job isn't a bad one, given that Nike gives a lot of support to the school.

moonpie23
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
lol, Few's gotten better offers than NC State on the west side of the country....he ain't leaving Gonzaga for State.

Also, the Gonzaga job isn't a bad one, given that Nike gives a lot of support to the school.

noted....however, none of those offers make it possible to step on the stage to compete with neighbors like K and Roy.....

the acc may be "down" currently, but mark few seems to be the kind of coach that would step up for the challenge.....

he is a VERY good coach.....he could make it very interesting......if i were state, i'd at LEAST send tommy burleson to talk to him....

wilson
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
noted....however, none of those offers make it possible to step on the stage to compete with neighbors like K and Roy.....

the acc may be "down" currently, but mark few seems to be the kind of coach that would step up for the challenge.....

he is a VERY good coach.....he could make it very interesting......if i were state, i'd at LEAST send tommy burleson to talk to him....Good points. The bolded stuff, to me, will be the key to any upcoming coaching search in Raleigh. I think this is how they'll have to sell an opening, because it's clearly not a marquee post in and of itself at the moment. I also think that this makes Few exactly the kind of person they'll want to go after (Note: I'm not saying specifically that they should go after Few himself, and I frankly don't think he'd leave Gonzaga for this opening anyway). By selling it as a challenge in the most tradition-laden basketball conference, rather than a stand-alone draw, they may be able to pique the interest of some marquee coaching talent. I don't think they should sell it as a "step up" to some up-and-comer, because a) the diamond-in-the-rough approach clearly hasn't worked with Lowe, and b) I don't think a whole lot of people in good mid-major type places will really view it as much of a step up right now.

Acymetric
02-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm really hoping they got the screen on the band side of the scoreboard is working today...its been broken the past two men's games. Supposedly it was fixed for the women's game in between and broke again for the BC game. Kinda sucks not being able to see the stats and videos.

jimrowe0
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
A few things I have seen on Twitter and/or heard from some state people.

Tracy smith is dealing with a sore knee still, Harrow isn't 100%, and CJ Leslie may be suspended indefinately

Leslie suspension is a rumor at this point, but I'm trying to confirm it

dukelifer
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Tracy smith is dealing with a sore knee still, Harrow isn't 100%, and CJ Leslie may be suspended indefinately

Smith and Harrow were mentioned my Lowe yesterday- the Leslie one would be a surprise- but this is the week for surprises.

tbyers11
02-05-2011, 04:14 PM

It appears that Leslie is suspended for tonight's game according to WTVD (http://twitter.com/akulawolf/status/33994912483512320)

jimrowe0
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
It appears that Leslie is suspended for tonight's game according to WTVD (http://twitter.com/akulawolf/status/33994912483512320)

I got conformation as well

dukelifer
02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I got conformation as well

Also now on WRAL. State will be a bit challenged if they have no Leslie and Harrow and Smith are less than 100%. Still can't let up- as they will be loose and may start bombing from deep.

Bob Green
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Here is confirmation:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/packs-leslie-suspended-wont-play-against-duke

C.J. Leslie has been suspended indefinitely for breaking an unspecified team rule. Leslie, the Wolfpack's leading rebounder, will miss today's game at Duke.

So Leslie is definitely suspended.

MartyClark
02-05-2011, 05:04 PM

There have been a number of comments that the North Carolina State coaching job is not a great job. My question is, why not? I don't live in the area and don't have much insight into N.C. State. It seems to me that the N.C. State position would be desirable for an ambitious, younger coach.

I don't think the presence of Duke and North Carolina would dissuade a good coach from taking the position. in fact what's better than having a couple of really good programs as "rivals" .A victory or two by N.C. State over either Duke or Carolina would is a realistic target and would completely energize N.C. State's fan base.

Are the N.C. State facilities not good? Are the unable to pay a good coach what he is worth? Is there not a good fan base? Somebody please enlighten me

mgtr
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, Jim Valvano thought it was a whole lot better than Iona. He made something out of it, too.

loran16
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
There have been a number of comments that the North Carolina State coaching job is not a great job. My question is, why not? I don't live in the area and don't have much insight into N.C. State. It seems to me that the N.C. State position would be desirable for an ambitious, younger coach.

I don't think the presence of Duke and North Carolina would dissuade a good coach from taking the position. in fact what's better than having a couple of really good programs as "rivals" .A victory or two by N.C. State over either Duke or Carolina would is a realistic target and would completely energize N.C. State's fan base.

Are the N.C. State facilities not good? Are the unable to pay a good coach what he is worth? Is there not a good fan base? Somebody please enlighten me

Well for Few, Gonzaga is as good if not a better job, being that he's, barring a monumental collapse, likely got a job there for life, and has a decent contract. Gonzaga is essentially a major program that's on the air as much as any other western school, so at most you'd consider NC State a lateral move....and he's already turned down schools such as Oregon (I think) and Arizona, which are in a major conference, and Arizona has you know, had great success much more recently than State and is thus likely to have good recruiting influences.

To answer your question: First, NC State's facilities are probably good, but they're nothing special (as opposed to say Louisville's new facilities in the Yum Center or Duke's facilities). I don't think State's facilities offer an improvement over any major conference team of any repute, and maybe aren't better than some mid-major schools such as Gonzaga.

Moreover, they have a pretty aggressive fan base who is unlikely to tolerate too much rebuilding time from an outsider...Lowe only got such time due to him being a famous alum...a normal coach probably has 3 years to get to the tournament, 4 at most (unlike the five Lowe got).

Meanwhile, they don't have a recruiting advantage over other major programs....having Duke and UNC nearby hurts getting the best local recruits (Raleigh and Durham kids don't really want to go to State over Duke or UNC), so they can't rely upon local players.

Moreover, they're not on national TV more frequently than many other major programs: I count 13 games on Natl' TV this year which is 2 more than Florida State, a non-bball power.

In all, there's nothing they can offer really more than other major programs, and thus a coach doesn't have any advantages in recruiting that he might have elsewhere. So apart from offering a lot of money to a coach, a hot-ticket coach of a mid-major or smaller BCS school is likely to pass on the job, figuring he can get a better one.

EDIT: Iona, mgtr is irrelevant, given how it's a bad school for bball (their last coach I think went to Hofstra this year incidentally)....a good coach of Iona goes to a mid-major school, not to a BCS School, so NC State is a clear lift up.

riverside6
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters are posted for both teams

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7049

TNDukeFan
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Gonzaga-Memphis is a one-point game with four minutes to go. We'll be switching to Cameron about 15 after.

77devil
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Gonzaga-Memphis is a one-point game with four minutes to go. We'll be switching to Cameron about 15 after.

clock not running for 15 seconds.

DukieTiger
02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
clock not running for 15 seconds.

tgfe3

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
was that a recruit they showed standing among the crazies in rather dapper clothes? Anyone know who he might have been?

HateCarolina
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I guess this is serving as the in-game thread as well.

Does anyone know the story behind CJ Leslie being suspended?

And I'm loving me some Mason Plumlee today.

RoyalBlue08
02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I think State should consider firing Lowe at halftime.

davekay1971
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
We're firing on all cylinders right now. This is impressive to watch. Everyone is having a good game, and Nolan is insane right now. State is doing a lot to help us look this good...but we look really, really good.

Also love the game that Mason is having. He's finishing with so much confidence.

Vincetaylor
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I think State should consider firing Lowe at halftime.

I agree. This is a total embarrassment for State. No effort on defense at all. I'm guessing the upperclassmen are clashing with the underclassmen, but it's still Lowe's job to fix that.

sandinmyshoes
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
This is brutal. I'm enjoying it on one level, and am almost uncomfortable on another level.

dairedevil
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
At the rate they are calling fouls, will state have anybody left for the second half? Did I hear them say that Hess is one of the officials? He's got such a reputation for being against Duke, I can hardly believe it.

BlueHeaven
02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I always like to see a double digit lead, but I agree, this is almost painful to watch.

1 24 90
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Elmore and Patrick should get their own comedy show. Between Patrick misidentifying everyone and Elmore's complaining about the officiating, I have been laughing nonstop at them.

Is there a mercy rule they could employ?

wsb3
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
2 Complaints.. free throws... our FG pct is better and Len Elmore shut up..:cool:
What a half... We got on a roll for a few minutes that was a thing of beauty.

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
You can't keep your coach around if he can't even have competitive games with your biggest rivals. They will have to come pretty close to winning out the rest of the ACC for El Sid to be around next year. If they finish as well as 7-9 and win at least one ACCT game, but it would probably take 2 tourney wins for SL to be at State next year. It can be done but I really don't think that they will. We are making them look really pathetic.
I think that a 7-9 record and an ACCT win will keep him his job, which is an improvement from last year.

MChambers
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Elmore and Patrick should get their own comedy show. Between Patrick misidentifying everyone and Elmore's complaining about the officiating, I have been laughing nonstop at them.

Funniest thing was that Patrick twice asked Elmore whether this was a trap game. Elmore two answers were identical. Totally scripted.

TNDukeFan
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the studio guy said several times that Duke was up 19 points, not 29.

-bdbd
02-05-2011, 07:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing. It is painful to watch, and especially for a NCSU coach that we generally like. Man, his days sure do seem numbered. I wonder if they've started to interview replacements yet...

2 Complaints.. free throws... our FG pct is better and Len Elmore shut up..:cool:
What a half... We got on a roll for a few minutes that was a thing of beauty.

I'm betting K and staff at half talked about (1) "keep the foot on the gas" and (2) Focus, and make those free-throws. Shooting FT's like this against NC@CH will kill us.

You DO get the sense that Elmore obviously roots against Duke. (I agree that we got a couple of favorable calls, but geez dude, he's complaining about many of the GOOD ones too. Good grief!) 'need to just mute it and turn up the Devils' radio broadcast...

:o :D :cool:

1 24 90
02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Kyle about to get a lot of rest.

Cameron
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Miles: KICK THE BALL OUT TO AN OPEN SHOOTER.

This is what we miss most from our fearless senior leader of a season ago, Brian Zoubek.

Miles, no offense, but you are not Moses Malone. That turn-around hook is not going to fall in very often.

superdave
02-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Poor Sid. He'll be an NBA assistant next year. I wanted him to succeed.

4decadedukie
02-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Loving so much about our efforts - especially defense - this evening, BUT WHERE IS RYAN? Is he okay, in the doghouse? He has done SO well this year, matured and improved so much, and I want him to remain an integral part of this season's successes.

wsb3
02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Love the Jack Marin shout out. Brings back my childhood days of pulling for
Duke.

davekay1971
02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Loving so much about our efforts - especially defense - this evening, BUT WHERE IS RYAN? Is he okay, in the doghouse? He has done SO well this year, matured and improved so much, and I want him to remain an integral part of this season's successes.

Been kinda wondering about Ryan, too. I doubt he's in the doghouse - the kid has a rep for being a hard, hard worker. It could be that the Plumlees are just playing so well, and Ryan hasn't been spectacular when he's been in.

As an aside, hated hearing the "Old MacDonald" cheer from the crazies. I know calling State a cow college is a time-honored tradition, but I always think of it more as a snotty Carolina rip on State. Oh well, my Wolfpack-by-marriage is showing...

gcashwell
02-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I think the plumlees have just been a better fit match up wise the last couple of games.

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2011, 07:59 PM
that Mike Patrick has said that someone shot an airball when both had not drawn iron but hit hard off the glass. That's a brick not an airball. He gets paid to do this?

Tucknut
02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Sometimes I don't know who makes more ignorant comments - Clark Kellogg or Len Elmore.