PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Maryland (Feb 2, 2011)

JBDuke
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 80-62 win over Maryland tonight?

El_Diablo
02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Singler, easily.

Bob Green
02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Kyle scoring 11 points in a row at a key time in the game wins my vote. Mason receives consideration with his 12 & 11 double-double and I was impressed with Tyler Thornton's solid performance in his first career start.

jv001
02-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Kyle provided the offense just when we needed it. Maryland had cut into our lead and he took over. What I really liked was that he did not settle for the 3. He took his man inside and took what the defense gave him. Nolan had a good game with 21, Curry had 8 with 5 assists, Dawkins 11 and Mason stepped up with 12 and 11. Great bounce back game from all the guys. Especially with the way the game was ref'd. Go Duke!

rotogod00
02-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Think it's been shown that for Duke to be successful, they need someone other than Smith and Singler to be productive. And tonite that was Mason. Very solid 12 and 11, and his 4 buckets by midway through the 1st half gave Duke the cushion they'd never relinquish.

Duke: A Dynasty
02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I voted Kyle because he was money and just going all out. But that being said I would loved to split my vote up between Mason, Seth, Andre, Nolan, and Kyle especially Mason. I felt everyone played well overall but Mason and Kyle I thought were the most assertive and the reason we played well throughout. Andre and Seth kept providing the daggers to put Maryland down everytime they came closer. Nolan did a bit of everything as well again but did it kinda quietly.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Kyle scoring 11 points in a row at a key time in the game wins my vote. Mason receives consideration with his 12 & 11 double-double and I was impressed with Tyler Thornton's solid performance in his first career start.
What Bob said.

BleedsP287
02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Kyle was unstoppable. Great to see Mason get the double double. If he and Miles can build on their effort in this game we'll be back in the hunt, not that we were ever really out of it.

strawbs
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
i voted for kyle. Great night tonight and those 11 straight points were huge. I'm surprised no one has voted for nolan yet. Thought about going with Mason, he had his best offensive performance in a while and was really asserting himself. Dawkins and Curry also deserve props for hitting some big shots. Also surprised no one has voted for nolan to this point. He sits a big chunk of the first half and still ends up with his usual 20+.
Great game tonight.

jv001
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Kyle was unstoppable. Great to see Mason get the double double. If he and Miles can build on their effort in this game we'll be back in the hunt, not that we were ever really out of it.

The only negative for Mason and Miles was that both tried for steals rather than getting back on defense a couple of times. Other than that they were very good tonight. GoDuke!

gwlaw99
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Kyle, but I was really impressed by Mason tonight. Played smart with intensity...good defense on Williams.

Lord Ash
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey, are the results of these polls kept anywhere? Like, "Kyle has won 12 times this year, 42 times in his career" sort of stuff?

taiw93
02-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Kyle was just on fire tonight, so I couldn't vote against him. However, Mason, Tyler, Seth, and Dre all stepped up big time tonight, and Nolan, despite his shaky shooting, was his usual All-American self. Great team effort tonight, but Kyle takes the cake.

dball
02-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Kyle played like a POTY candidate tonight. Hit tough shots. Played good defense. Great hands, came up with several contested balls--seemed like he had more rebounds but is credited with 6.

What's up with the calls for Williams behind the backboard, jumping backwards into Singler and getting the call? It looked as if Williams grabbed the ball right on the end line and Kyle was straight up. Don't think it's possible for that not to be an offensive foul if any call is going to be made.

Great game for Mason as well and good to see Tyler, Andre and Seth contributing. Need to keep this good play up for the next couple of games against Triangle foes.

Duvall
02-03-2011, 12:06 AM
What's up with the calls for Williams behind the backboard, jumping backwards into Singler and getting the call? It looked as if Williams grabbed the ball right on the end line and Kyle was straight up. Don't think it's possible for that not to be an offensive foul if any call is going to be made.

http://images2.statsheet.com/images/mcb/refs/jamie-luckie-large.jpg?1296614356

Every call a mystery.

soccerstud2210
02-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Singler was ridiculous. and so was smith. but Dre came in and knocked down HUGE daggers when we needed. HUGE. so I voted for him

wsb3
02-03-2011, 06:05 AM
Singler. I love the way he began the game and I loved the 11 straight points. He was simply a senior tonight that was not going to lose.

Delaware
02-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Kyle. That was an All American performance. He is always the toughest guy on the court, but tonight he looked really focussed and I love the way Coach K used him tonight...he seemed to find himself with the ball in much better positions than simply on the wing near the three point line. He works so much better moving and catching the ball in the center of the court. He was unstoppable for a stretch when the team really needed it.
Beautiful game.

rotogod00
02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey, are the results of these polls kept anywhere? Like, "Kyle has won 12 times this year, 42 times in his career" sort of stuff?

This season, the winners have been:
Smith - 7
Singler - 4
Irving - 3
Dawkins - 2
MPII - 2
Curry - 2
Kelly - 1
MPI - 1

Upon further review (Nolan had a late surge in the BC game voting), it's actually:
Smith - 8
Singler - 4
Irving - 3
Dawkins - 2
MPII - 2
Curry - 1
Kelly - 1
MPI - 1

Saratoga2
02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I recognize that Kyle had a great game, not only in scoring, but also in defense and rebounding. I can see why people voted for him, but I went a different way with Mason. He had a really tough assignment, dealing with Jordan Williams and did a very good job of staying in the game, rebounding and defending well and he did make some really good shots. Look forward to him getting his free throw shot down. Maybe we will look back at this game as the one where Mason finally started to turn the corner as an offensive player.

gotoguy
02-03-2011, 08:54 AM
The only negative for Mason and Miles was that both tried for steals rather than getting back on defense a couple of times. Other than that they were very good tonight. GoDuke!

Good observation...I was yelling at the TV screen a few times for that reason.

jaytoc
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not an expert like many of you who post here, I just casually watch the games. So I'm sure that I'm really missing something if so many believe that Mason had a great game last night.
Mason is obviously a superior athlete, and his baseline jam in the second half came at an important point in the game. He helped break the press on several occasions last night, he got his boards, and some early points. But I think there are some glaring deficiencies that continue to hold his game back. And they were evident last night, at least to me.
Obviously, his free throw shooting is an area that ought to be of concern. Not only does he miss, but he misses badly, misses ugly. And if last night is any indication, it's getting worse.
Next, the inability to finish in close is a mystery. Recall at one point in the first half Mason brought down a rebound about three feet from the basket, had what I recall to be a virtually unimpeded route to the rim, hesitated, turned his back to basket, and passed to a guard, either Curry or Smith, who missed a trey. I guy of his size and ability has to have the confidence, post moves, and intent to score in those kinds of situations. (And of course, the ability to close the deal from the foul line if he is fouled in those situations.)
The potential of this team is virtually limitless if the bigs contribute on the offensive end. They need not be the focus of the offense, but have to be able to clean up the garbage, and I don't see it happening game in and game out. Twelve points is fine, of course. But I think he and Miles both leave a lot on the table.

smcook313
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Kyle. That was an All American performance. He is always the toughest guy on the court, but tonight he looked really focussed and I love the way Coach K used him tonight...he seemed to find himself with the ball in much better positions than simply on the wing near the three point line. He works so much better moving and catching the ball in the center of the court. He was unstoppable for a stretch when the team really needed it.
Beautiful game.

Kyle's 11 points in a row put a damper on any momentum that Maryland was building. Its draining on a team to fight so hard to cut into a lead and have the other teams star come down and answer the call. The wind was quickly taken out of the crowds sails and it pumped up Duke on the floor and the players on the bench. Mason was magnificent, Nolan was Nolan, and our long range snipers were on target...but Kyle had an all-american performance on both ends of the court. My MOTM pick was selected without hesistation.

smcook313
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Good observation...I was yelling at the TV screen a few times for that reason.

I was screaming with you! There were a few times where they were slapping at the ball in the hands of the rebounder. Miles had foul where he came in running and jumped on the guys back, almost over him. Mason did play great though! That dunk in the first half that was called off because of the shot clock violation...You knew right there what kind of night he was going to have. I wont take anything away from either Plumlee tonight. They both played with alot of energy and did a great job on Williams. He is going to get his points but you take away 11 or 12 free throws from Williams (not all were P2 fouls) and he has a mediocre night. Good job of playing him hard.