PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wise -- What's not to like about Coach K?

Jim3k
02-02-2011, 04:36 AM
This morning's column about Mike Krzyzewski in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/01/AR2011020106320.html).

Great commentary.

GODUKEGO
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I read this and could not believe the day of the Terp game that this would be in the Post. With a 8% graduation rate for the mens basketball players, we can assume most will not be able to read this. Maybe Terp fans will have a better chance.

http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2010_Mens_Bball_PR.pdf

weezie
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
With a 8% graduation rate for the mens basketball players, we can assume most will not be able to read this. Maybe Terp fans will have a better chance.

Oooo, I dunno GDG, it's six pages long and the print is pretty tight.

MChambers
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
This morning's column about Mike Krzyzewski in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/01/AR2011020106320.html).

Great commentary.
I think Mike just made up for his little dig about Duke signing Carrick Felix last spring.

gw67
02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I understand the obsession with the Maryland fans and the dislike of Gary Williams on this board but there has been a big turnaround since the 2007-2008 year regarding the graduation rates for basketball players so there is no need to beat up on the youngsters who play for the Terps. Since that year, I believe that all seniors have graduated on time and it is my understanding that the three seniors on this team are set to graduate this spring. My wife has two degrees from Maryland and wrote some very strong letters to the school president and AD a few years back about the poor graduation rates in the 2001-2006 years.

As someone who lives in the DC area, I see a bunch of the games on TV. The deportment of the youngsters on the court for the past several years has been excellent. There is no need to belittle these kids, IMO.

gw67

Scorp4me
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I understand the obsession with the Maryland fans and the dislike of Gary Williams on this board...

I disagree with the statement. You may understand the obsession "from" the Maryland fans, but there is none "with" them. There is a dislike based of their boorish behavior, but that is all. (as a side note add in the Tarheel fans utter inability to believe they should ever lose coupled with their memory that is shotty at best and you have 99% of my fan dislike right htere).

As for Gary and the players, I think you'll find quite a lot of respect around these parts. He finds the diamonds in the rough quite often and it's hard not to respect their improvement through their 4 years.

allenmurray
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree with you. As a Maryland alum who was often embarassed by my alma mater, I have been pleased to see this progress. The behavior of the fans and students in the Comcast Center is still awful, and still leaves me emabarsassed to admit I graduated from Maryland, but the academic focus of the players seems to have taken a strong step forward. We shjould give credit where it is due.

I understand the obsession with the Maryland fans and the dislike of Gary Williams on this board but there has been a big turnaround since the 2007-2008 year regarding the graduation rates for basketball players so there is no need to beat up on the youngsters who play for the Terps. Since that year, I believe that all seniors have graduated on time and it is my understanding that the three seniors on this team are set to graduate this spring. My wife has two degrees from Maryland and wrote some very strong letters to the school president and AD a few years back about the poor graduation rates in the 2001-2006 years.

As someone who lives in the DC area, I see a bunch of the games on TV. The deportment of the youngsters on the court for the past several years has been excellent. There is no need to belittle these kids, IMO.

gw67

GODUKEGO
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
but the academic focus of the players seems to have taken a strong step forward. We shjould give credit where it is due.

I am not sure where you are seeing this improvement. My attached was for 2010 when the graduation rate was 8%. The below link is the year before when their rate was 10%. Not a math major but 8% is less than 10%, I am pretty sure. In March when the 2011 study comes out, I will admit Maryland's rate will go up because of Eric Hayes, Greivis Vasquez and Landon Milbourne all graduating. But these three were an anomaly considering the Terps history of graduating their players. When 2012's rates come out they will be right back at the bottom.

http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2009_Mens_Bball_PR.pdf

Devil07
02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I am not sure where you are seeing this improvement. My attached was for 2010 when the graduation rate was 8%. The below link is the year before when their rate was 10%. Not a math major but 8% is less than 10%, I am pretty sure. In March when the 2011 study comes out, I will admit Maryland's rate will go up because of Eric Hayes, Greivis Vasquez and Landon Milbourne all graduating. But these three were an anomaly considering the Terps history of graduating their players. When 2012's rates come out they will be right back at the bottom.

I'm certainly no Maryland fan, but I think it's fair to point out that the statistics you posted are based off of old data. From the 2010 report you linked:

NCAA statistics were used in the study. The Institute reviewed 2002‐03 graduation (six‐year) rates, with a four class average (freshman classes of, 1999‐2000, 2000‐01, 2001‐02, and 2002‐03). The APR data in this study does not include data from the 2008‐09 academic performances of the teams, but instead uses the four‐year data from the 2004‐05, 2005‐06, 2006‐07, and 2007‐08 academic years.

I'm not going to declare Maryland a bastion of academic integrity, but if we're going to condemn the team, it's misleading to say that the most recent report is an accurate indicator of how they have done in recent years. Rather, those are historical statistics that don't really take into account any more recent improvements.

gw67
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
GODUKEGO,

My understanding is that Vasquez, Hayes, Milbourne and Burney graduated last year, Neal graduated the previous year and Gist, Osby and McAlphin graduated the year before that. Counting this year's senior class, I believe that 100% of the last four graduating classes will have have graduated on time. The stat that is used by the NCAA is a rolling average over five or six years and starts back in the dark days. I may have all my facts wrong. Regardless, making the comment

"I read this and could not believe the day of the Terp game that this would be in the Post. With a 8% graduation rate for the mens basketball players, we can assume most will not be able to read this. Maybe Terp fans will have a better chance."

is a little juvenile, IMO, even if you hate your opponent. I also assure you that this Duke/Maryland fan can read. Typing is another story. Relax and enjoy the game tonight. I intend to do so.

gw67

gw67
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
According to the NCAA site, the graduation data for last year covers the four entering freshman classes from 2000 through 2003. The Maryland graduation data for basketball players during these years was pathetic and the school administration recognized that and applied the screws to Williams in, I believe, the 2006-2007 time frame to improve which he has done. Williams was quoted in the Post last year, that 10 of 12 youngsters from the last four classes graduated on time. If this years' seniors follow suit, it will be 13 of 15 from the last five years. The rolling average will continue to look bad until these last few years are included.

My original thought was that it was OK to blast the fans and hate on Williams but lighten up on the players. I just wanted to make sure that we were reading from the same page.

gw67