PDA

View Full Version : Mid Season Player Evaluations.

Duke: A Dynasty
02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I would like to rephrase what I meant to happen earlier. The following site graded most the Duke mens basketball players with a school style way (A+, A, A-, etc...). Now I know we here at DBR do not use that style grading system to judge the players.

What I am interested in is what does everyone think of the reasoning for the grades? We already got a thread talking about bashing the Plumlees so why not discuss here every player. All the talk does not have to be negative btw we can discuss the good and bad of what each player has done so far this year

http://www.dukebluedevilsrant.com/20...s-part-1.html/

For example: I thought he unfairly judged Nolan by saying Nolan was not shooting all that well and saying he is not a first team AA. Nolan is shooting better than Jimmer and Kemba so that is not a fair reason to make those assumptions. Nolan also has gone above and beyond what I expected out of him for being thrust into the pg position so suddenly. Now I would like Nolan to cut out the rushed jumpers and floaters in the lane he does so frequently.

Seth was also knocked because of his 3 pt percentage (38%) which imo is very respectable. Now I will admit Seth has been a bit of a disappointment to me but I see a lot of things that give me hope in his play. He really just needs to stop those 3's five feet back from the arc and work on his handling and getting stronger.

tele
02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
19-2

Greg_Newton
02-02-2011, 03:46 AM
I'm also not sure this is a good idea, but I just want to point out that there's pretty much no way a rational fan can criticize Nolan.

He's averaging 23 points, 6 assists and 2 steals as a PG since Kyrie went out. That would be arguably the best stat line for a Duke PG in history if it were for an entire season, and it wouldn't even really be much of an argument. He's put the whole offense on his back and carried the team from a position he had to take over mid-season, and is playing at an extremely high level.

Duke: A Dynasty
02-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Again I would like to repeat this is just meant to get opinions on what has impressed you so far from certain players and what has really driven you insane that they have done or keep doing. Example for frustratoing things to me: Mason's fadaway jumper, Seth's super long range 3's, Ryan not being physical, Dre needs to improve driving ability, Nolan forcing to much. Example positives for me: Nolans handling of the point, Mason rebounding, Seth giving a needed spark off the bench, Ryans ability to stretch the floor. These are just a few and without going into detail.

What is wrong with that? We seem to do it after every game for just 1 or 2 players at a time. I understand that the previous thread was frowned upon because of the grading thing (which some are just to sensitive about). But this is common around here and always accepted as long as you do not say someting ridiculous like personally attacking a player.

smcook313
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Again I would like to repeat this is just meant to get opinions on what has impressed you so far from certain players and what has really driven you insane that they have done or keep doing. Example for frustratoing things to me: Mason's fadaway jumper, Seth's super long range 3's, Ryan not being physical, Dre needs to improve driving ability, Nolan forcing to much. Example positives for me: Nolans handling of the point, Mason rebounding, Seth giving a needed spark off the bench, Ryans ability to stretch the floor. These are just a few and without going into detail.

What is wrong with that? We seem to do it after every game for just 1 or 2 players at a time. I understand that the previous thread was frowned upon because of the grading thing (which some are just to sensitive about). But this is common around here and always accepted as long as you do not say someting ridiculous like personally attacking a player.

Ryan Kelly has really been a breath of fresh air! Its not very often that a team gets a near 7ft soph out of a 6'9 freshman. He has been Dunleavyesque and really has picked us up in a couple of tight spots. His shooting over the last fews games has been money. His D has been really good since the start of the season. I was excited to see how high our coaches were on him during the ESPNU series but really didnt know what to expect when the season got going. I couldnt be happier with his play. He is a team player, his a leader on the court, and he has earned every second on the floor. I mean 18-18! Thats incredible for Kobe, Durant, Wade, ______!

Everyone on the team deserves a post of credit due from us but I definitely wanted to express my gratitude and kudos to Ryan. Those 3's he was putting up about 7 to 8 games ago made us all pucker a little bit but I think we all saw that those were going to fall at some point. He is having a fantastic year and Im really glad he's on our side! (Much rather have him than Taylor King, thats for sure)

Indoor66
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Ryan Kelly has really been a breath of fresh air! Its not very often that a team gets a near 7ft soph out of a 6'9 freshman.

I believe he was and is 6'11".

Saratoga2
02-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I believe he was and is 6'11".

Heights are often misstated for college players. Ryan said he was 6' 9 3/4 inches in stocking feet in an interview less than two months ago. I would tend to believe him. The 6' 11" is probably an extrapolation with sneakers on.

hq2
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Ryan has clearly gotten a lot better, but is still trying to discover what his new, bigger body can do. It took Mike Dunleavy Jr. about a year to figure it out, and I think Ryan is about the same way. By next year, he'll have his shot mechanics adjusted and will be more of a consistent shooter, and he'll have a better idea of what he can do with his new height in the low post. For now, he'll be up and down; great one night, not so great the next. Still, with that jumper, he does have great potential. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

taiw93
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm also not sure this is a good idea, but I just want to point out that there's pretty much no way a rational fan can criticize Nolan.

He's averaging 23 points, 6 assists and 2 steals as a PG since Kyrie went out. That would be arguably the best stat line for a Duke PG in history if it were for an entire season, and it wouldn't even really be much of an argument. He's put the whole offense on his back and carried the team from a position he had to take over mid-season, and is playing at an extremely high level.

I agree that it is virtually impossible to criticize Nolan's play thus far. However, I do think it is fair to say that, despite his stellar play at the point, he plays better off the ball. I am still a firm believer that Nolan is better suited for the 2-guard position, but I am thoroughly impressed by Nolan's performance in Kyrie's absence, and think he is a lock to be a First Team All American.