PDA

View Full Version : Duke Player Mid-Season Grades

Duke: A Dynasty
02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Ok so I will not take credit for this thread first off, I took it from here: http://www.dukebluedevilsrant.com/2011/01/duke-mid-season-grades-part-1.html/

But I wanted to see what everyone else thought because I found this very interesting. In short the OP of this thread has graded everyone (Thornton and Hairston not included for whatever reason) as follows:

Nolan Smith [A-]

Andre Dawkins [B-]

Kyle Singler [B+]

Ryan Kelly [B-]

Seth Curry [C-]

Miles Plumlee [D]

Mason Plumlee [C-]

Kyrie Irving [incomplete]

If you want to see the reasoning behind the grades click the link. I will post my own grades another time because it is really late here and I got classes in the morning.

Bluedog
02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
I believe threads grading individual players are frowned upon here based on past experiences. I know for a fact Coach K was angry at The Chronicle a while back for assigning letter grades to individual players, so it's probably not going to get a lot of playing time (no pun intended) on this site...Having said that, I think it's reasonable to discuss areas of potential improvement and strengths of individual players without assigning explicit letter grades. But giving somebody a "D" who is not a professional athlete and has given his all to the university we love, is mostly a degrading exercise without many redeeming qualities. Just my opinion, of course. And I'm certainly not trying to call you out for starting the thread; just thought I'd let you know what I believe will occur.

darthur
02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Letter grades are purely subjective, but...

- He's way off-base criticizing Nolan Smith for shooting "only" 48% overall. That is a fantastic number for a high-scoring guard. It is higher than Walker, Fredette, and any other POY hopeful guard out there.

- He's equally off-base criticizing Seth Curry for shooting "only" 38% from 3 pointers. That is as good as 57% on 2s.

02-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I believe threads grading individual players are frowned upon here based on past experiences. I know for a fact Coach K was angry at The Chronicle a while back for assigning letter grades to individual players, so it's probably not a reasonable topic of discussion to talk about here...I think it's certainly reasonable and makes sense to discuss areas of improvement and strengths of individual players without assigning explicit letter grades. Just my opinion, of course.

I realize some here may not like it but I for one love these kind of things and some others may to so I went ahead and posted. I mean we grade kids in academics it is not really different to do it to atheletics.

02-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Letter grades are purely subjective, but...

- He's way off-base criticizing Nolan Smith for shooting "only" 48% overall. That is a fantastic number for a high-scoring guard. It is higher than Walker, Fredette, and any other POY hopeful guard out there.

- He's equally off-base criticizing Seth Curry for shooting "only" 38% from 3 pointers. That is as good as 57% on 2s.

Thats is what I was thinking as well! I mean I understand where he was coming from on Curry but the 3 pt stat I did not feel was appropriate to use because it is very respectable.

pfrduke
02-02-2011, 02:01 AM
I realize some here may not like it but I for one love these kind of things and some others may to so I went ahead and posted. I mean we grade kids in academics it is not really different to do it to atheletics.

Others can do this in other locations. We don't do it here.