PDA

View Full Version : ACC Efficiency Rankings (Week 4) - Duke Up Top, Wake on Bottom, NC State, ugh.

loran16
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Good News! St. Johns ISN'T an ACC Team, so it won't be considered in these rankings! And nor will Duke's loss. Now that's awesome. Anyhow, we have over a third of the season for each team done, so lets take a look at the rankings.

------------------------------------------------------------
Below are the current efficiency numbers for each ACC team in conference play thus far. These numbers used to be kept track of publicly by basketball prospectus' John Gasaway, but he's currently putting them behind the site's new pay-wall, so I'll be posting them here all season.

These numbers go beyond win-loss record to, over time, show who truly is the best, and then second best team in the ACC team, and so forth. They're better at doing so than win-loss records, as they truly show which teams are actually beating up on opponents and which are lucky to skate by. Early on of course, they're skewed by outliers (games against Wake Forest), but they're still quite interesting.

The relevant numbers are as follows:
Tempo: Possessions per Game (A measure of how up-pace a team plays.)
Offensive Efficiency: Amount of points scored by a team's offense per possession.
Defensive Efficiency: Amount of points allowed by a team's defense per possession.
Efficiency Margin: The amount a team will outscore it's opponent per 1-possession-each (basically O Efficiency minus D Efficiency)

For ease of reading, I've added a final column, which shows how the Efficiency Margin of each team translates into that team's average margin of victory (or defeat) in an average ACC game (66 Possessions). This is just for display purposes....a team like Duke which plays faster than that will win by more, while a team like UVA which plays slower will win by less. Another week, and 2 games for everyone have passed except for UNC, so time for another look at the efficiency rankings.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jpHBaQhAbHI/TUbPwsbdmjI/AAAAAAAAALg/prbxKFe26Ig/s1600/ACC%2BStats%2BWeek%2B4-Start.png

Thoughts:
1. Duke has achieved separation at the top: Duke is #2 on offense, and #3 on Defense in ACC Play thus far, and thus the team is a clear #1. Duke is in fact the only team in the ACC to be top 4 (top 1/3 of the conference) in both O and D....though VT is #5 in both. Still, despite the St. John's loss, we need to remember that IN CONFERENCE, Duke has looked a clear step above so far.

2. Clemson's O is still really good. In the first week of this, Clemson was tied for the top spot in conference. Two weeks later, they return to near the top thanks to a great win over FSU at home, fueled by good offense and FSU's lack of offense. Of course, caution needs to be said here: Clemson has won every game at home, but LOST EVERY GAME ON THE ROAD IN ACC PLAY SO FAR. Sooo, yeah, when teams are facing Clemson not at Littlejon, they're probably in good shape.

3. There are only 4 "complete teams" at the moment, but UNC is getting close. Right now, Duke, VT, GT, and Maryland are the only teams above reasonable efficiency levels (1.0) for both offense and defense, though UNC is close, and GT is barely above that level for both O and D. Every other team is clearly flawed in one area or another.

4. UNC begins to rise, thanks to defense! If you've kept track of pomeroy this shouldn't surprise you, but well here it's made clear...UNC has an average O in conference, if that. But their D is terrific and is SECOND BEST in the ACC! Touche, Roy. Touche.

5. NC State falls to near UVA levels thanks to HORRIBLE DEFENSE: State's offense is still above average...but it's defense is atrocious, the 3rd worst in the ACC, behind Wake and BC (who has a much better O). Seeing this, one wonders if State will be able to beat Wake AT Wake, given Wake's recent win over UVA in Winston Salem. Regardless, they're clearly in the bottom of the ACC and a change is needed.

6. Wake Improved! No, Seriously! I've been hammering how bad Wake is in each of these posts, but figured since they improved this week by .07 in efficiency margin due to their win over UVA, I'd stop and give them props. Good Job Guys. Now lets see if you can build on it.

loran16
02-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Mid-Week efficiency rankings:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jpHBaQhAbHI/TUv9XAKqvEI/AAAAAAAAALs/RvfeayAg8gg/s1600/ACC%2BStats%2BWeek%2B4-Mid.png

If we ignore Wake, NC State has indeed dropped to last in the ACC. Duke needs to thrash them at home.

Oh, and yes UNC has surged, but remember guys, it's been TWO GAMES, both of which against horrible defenses, and one of whom against a terrible O. But the season is longer than 2 games, and if you look at the whole ACC season, UNC is NOT that far ahead of VT or even Clemson and FSU. The gap between Duke and UNC is bigger than that between #2 UNC and #5 FSU.

bluepenguin
02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
You obviously put in a lot of work to compile these numbers, and I commend your work. But, I gotta say, the only "stat" I care about is that we have one more point than our opponent when the game clock says 0:00.

DukieTiger
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
You obviously put in a lot of work to compile these numbers, and I commend your work. But, I gotta say, the only "stat" I care about is that we have one more point than our opponent when the game clock says 0:00.

While I agree with your sentiment, I feel that I should point out that Gasaway's in-conference efficiency margins were probably the first indicator of how good last year's Duke team truly was- if I'm remembering correctly, even from an early stage Duke was more dominant in its conference than Kentucky/Kansas/Syracuse were.

Not the only way to determine these things, not foolproof, but its a good indicator to track throughout the year. The one weakness I have noticed is that there is no way to account for the imbalanced schedule, or for strength of schedule at all. That said, the numbers should get more accurate and telling as the year progresses.

As for the current numbers- well, Wake is BAD. There's clearly an upper-middle tier, and it's unsurprising that those are the teams which still have a shot at getting into the tournament- with the exception of GT, whose in-conference performance has been bolstered by a very good home record. At the top, UNC has (for now) separated itself as the clear-cut #2, and Duke (without Kyrie) is still a pretty dominant in-conference force. Funny, given that we haven't seemed to have played all that well in more than a couple conference games (@FSU, vs UVA, vs MIA.)

In closing, thanks for doing this and I look forward to tracking it as the year closes out!

Billy Dat
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM

I disagree heartily, keep the dork stats and their accompanying analysis coming, I love this stuff.

superdave
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I disagree heartily, keep the dork stats and their accompanying analysis coming, I love this stuff.

The tea leaves are telling. There are some stats that I have not dug into but the efficiency rankings are pretty easy to get and let you know how well your guys are executing.

The fact that we improved offensive efficiency over the last few weeks is a pretty good sign.

Loran16- Are there any trends in the numbers that stick out to you from all your sifting?

77devil
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Mid-Week efficiency rankings:
Oh, and yes UNC has surged, but remember guys, it's been TWO GAMES, both of which against horrible defenses, and one of whom against a terrible O. But the season is longer than 2 games, and if you look at the whole ACC season, UNC is NOT that far ahead of VT or even Clemson and FSU. The gap between Duke and UNC is bigger than that between #2 UNC and #5 FSU.

I would add-let's see where UNC stands after the next three games against Florida State, and away against a pretty decent team down 15-501 and Clemson.:D

loran16
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
The tea leaves are telling. There are some stats that I have not dug into but the efficiency rankings are pretty easy to get and let you know how well your guys are executing.

The fact that we improved offensive efficiency over the last few weeks is a pretty good sign.

Loran16- Are there any trends in the numbers that stick out to you from all your sifting?

I'm at work right now, so I can't really explain much. I'm planning on showing home/away numbers on Monday morning as well as ACC numbers without Wake.

One trend I forgot to mention this time, is that while I pointed out that UNC doesn't appear far superior to VT, FSU, or Clemson, both VT and FSU have had games against Wake Forest...while UNC has not. Thus, UNC has had a disadvantage there (UNC has played NC State at home, but well even State isn't as horrible as Wake).