PDA

View Full Version : All Time Duke v. Maryland Game

aholla3
01-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Ok, I saw this on a Maryland board, testudotimes.com. If Maryland and Duke could each pick 5 players from the history of their program, with a 3 man bench, who would win?

My Maryland line-up would be:

John Lucas, Juan Dixon, Len Bias, Len Elmore, Albert King. With Steve Francis, Joe Smith and Greivis Vasquez coming off the bench.

Duke would be:

Jay Williams, JJ Redick, Grant Hill, Shane Battier and Christian Laettner. With Bobby Hurley, Kyle Singler and Danny Ferry coming off the bench.

Maryland would have an incredible amount of athleticism with Bias, Francis, Smith and Elmore.

Duke would have more of the tough, smart players.

Tough to say, might have to go with the Terps.

DUKIE V(A)
01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Interesting...Limiting the squads to 8 players would make it more competitive -- I would definitely add Brand to the Duke Squad to add a post- and rebounding-presence and probably take off Ferry due to defense. J. Dawkins would definitely get the nod over Hurley (or Singler) for me (and I love Hurley and Singler). (I don't know enough about Duke players before the K era to be able to judge others who may be better fits for the squad.) I think MD might prefer Buck Williams to GV (who was quite inconsistent and IMO vastly overrated) or Joe Smith.

I think Duke wins by double digits due to defense and teamwork...MD's squad could definitely score but many of the players listed are "me first" kind of guys and aren't known for their D while our guys seem to have more well-rounded games.

DukieInBrasil
01-31-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure why it would be limited to 8 players, it seems like 10 would be more appropriate to have one sub for each position.
I would also replace Ferry with either Boozer or Brand as the 8 listed by the OP lacks a real inside presence, and a lot of what Ferry offered is replicated by Shane (outside shooting + rebs) and Shane was/is a better on-court leader. I am only able to evaluate Duke's players post-'85, and therefore have no insight into players like Gene Banks, Spanarkel or other Duke greats from way back.
It's unfortunate that Kyrie hurt his toe after only 8 games, cuz he was making a strong case to be on the list of 8 (or 10) guys you'd want in your "all-time matchups" scenario.

CDu
01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
If I had to pick 8 Duke players, I'd choose Williams, Hurley, Dawkins, Redick, Battier, Hill, Brand and Laettner. If I could expand that to 10, I'd add Boozer and Heyman. And that would still be excluding a lot of great players.

I don't know enough about Maryland's history to fill in their 8 or 10 man roster. But I'd say that our squad would be REALLY hard to beat.