PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new dimension to this team: A look at who's going to break out in 2011.

loran16
01-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Last Year's Duke Team had four stars (no offense to Lance Thomas) that carried it to victory:
Jon Scheyer
Nolan Smith
Kyle Singler
and
Brian Zoubek.

As it's well known by now, Zoubek broke out against Maryland and never looked back. He was the best offensive rebounder in the nation and was the key reason why Duke, a poor shooting team (believe it or not), had the most efficient offense in the country.

The question has been asked before on this board, but with a loss today that was basically this year's version of the NC State loss (or so we hope), it bears asking once more. Which player will break out?

Now to ask this question, lets assume that Smith & Singler, in addition to various role playing guards and Kelly, are able to make up for the lack of Jon Scheyer (this is debatable, but just run with it). So we currently have what amounts to 3 players, and we lack the fourth.

Mind you, Brian Zoubek last year showed flashes pre-Maryland: In the season before, Zoubek had actually had a 16.4% Offensive Rebound Rate, which would've been good enough for top ten in the country had he qualified, and he had a rate above 20% (Top 2 in the country if he had qualified) before the Maryland game. However, Brian was unable to convert on some of those boards (bad shots, wasn't kicking out) or stay on the Court.

In other words, Brian's breakout was the result of an improvement that had ALREADY OCCURRED, but simply could not be seen so obviously until he figured it out. So we should probably look for a similar player here.

Note, we're not just looking at boards here, steals, blocks, some other dimension that someone could add to this team to put this team over the top, is what we're looking for.

The Candidates:

Ryan Kelly- Kelly seems like the obvious choice. Clearly an improvement for Kelly has already occurred...he's playing smart basketball and has clearly become a major factor on this team. Moreover, he's in the top 100 players according to Pomeroy in block% (showing great defense) and offensive efficiency (showing his great shooting). Clearly there's improvement that's already there, and Ryan helps by not fouling that often, with a foul rate of less than 5 per 40 minutes (which is superb for a big man).
On the other hand, while Ryan's offensive performance is often due to his ability to create mismatches simply due to being a 6'11" player out on the wing, he seems to lack a clear ability to make his own shot. Teams can handle him by making sure he doesn't get wide open, since otherwise, he'll be little threat with the ball. This clearly limits his offensive ability.

Possibility for Break-Out: Ryan's only a sophomore and he may have broken out as far as he can already...unlike Zoubek, fouls and floor time are not limiting him, and teams are starting to defend him, slowing him down somewhat. But Ryan could improve on defense:
First: Improving his ability to block shots. Ryan is no John Henson (ugh, but a 12% block rate is ridiculous) but Shelden Williams is a potential role model at rejections....Ryan currently blocks 7.1% of shots, while Shelden blocked 9.18 and 9.48% of shots his last two years...Meanwhile, Ryan DOESN'T commit too many fouls, and unlike Shelden, we actually can afford to give him some time on the bench if he's in foul trouble. So Ryan could in fact try and be more aggressive on D at blocking shots, building on his existing great blocking ability.
Second: Improving his defensive rebounding: Ryan's probably never gonna be a great offensive rebounder...he plays too far away from the basket. But this isn't the case on defense, yet Ryan is only third on the team (15.0%) in Defensive Rebounding %. This is not a great rate...you'd like to see that number at 20 or over. Once again, Ryan could go more aggressive after these boards, risking fouls, because he's not fouling that frequently.

Mason Plumlee:
Like Ryan, Mason Plumlee sort-of fits the profile because he has had some signs of a break-out already: Mason is rebounding 26.3% of opponent's misses (Defensive Rebounding Rate), which is the 23rd best rate in the country. He's also blocking shots at a top 100 rate of 6.8%, right behind Ryan Kelly. Meanwhile, he's doing both these things with an amazing ability to avoid picking up fouls - he's picking up just 3.9 fouls per 40 minutes. And of course, he's apparently super athletic, which Doug Gottlieb thinks makes him our best player.
Of course, Mason has problems. His poor FT shooting has resulted in him being an INEFFICIENT player on offense, as we can see by his offensive rating being under 100, which is pretty poor (the teams' averaging less than a point when he has a role in the possession). He's also not been a great offensive rebounder, netting only 11.5% of our own misses, which is less than his brother. And of course, he's looked significantly worse on O since Kyrie went down, as he seems to have suffered the most from the loss of an elite passer.

Possibility of Break-Out: Mason's really been a terrific defensive player at times this year, and his foul rate is terrific....while it's unrealistic to expect him to improve defensive rebounding, he could also, like Ryan, afford to be more aggressive and try to block more shots.
However, his best chance to break-out would be on offense....Mason fouls so infrequently for a big man that you'd hope that he could improve his offensive rebounding rate...not to Zoubek-like levels, but to lets say 15%, which would put him around Zou's rate his first three years (which was actually over 16%). Mason, unlike Zou, could probably convert those extra boards into points on his own, though the free throw rate is a problem
Similarly, Mason could improve his free throw shooting, but it's really not a problem so far.

Right now, in end of game situations where we need points, K is subbing out Mason and putting Ryan in. That would never happen with Zoubek last year, and shows where Mason needs to improve.

Miles Plumlee

Not happening. I'm not trying to be mean to Miles here, but unlike his brother and Ryan, Miles has actually taken a step back in several major categories including Shooting %, and Defensive Rebounding....a point in which Miles actually was 2nd best on the team last year, and top 100 in the country. Not anymore...his defensive rebounding rate has dropped basically 5%! Some of that might be not playing the 5 as often, but he still is doing so a good bit, and just isn't coming up with the rebounds. Meanwhile Miles is still committing fouls at a way too high rate (6.3 fouls per 40 minutes), making him a liability on the floor at times. Small wonder that Miles' minutes have dropped.

Miles is offensive rebounding a little better this year and if he's going to be the break-out player, this area, and his defensive rebounding will need to improve. But he also would have to drop his rate of committing fouls...which would usually involve making less effort to go for the boards. Thus it's kind of unlikely.

Josh Hairston - Also unlikely. Josh is the worst shooter on the team, fouls more frequently than Miles, and most importantly is blocked from playing time by better and more experienced players. Personally, I think his best comp is Lance Thomas...but he's not there yet, and Josh is only a freshman.

Seth Curry - Curry has shown flashes of great shooting...but Luke Winn noted a few weeks ago that Curry's shooting efficiency drops greatly when he's contested for shots, far more than any other player on the team. I think he's improved at that recently, but it's still a concern. Curry has an edge on Andre Dawkins in that he's essentially redshirted a year so is a year more experienced, has carried a team and played major minutes before, and that he seems more willing to dribble around to create his own shot. Meanwhile, Curry has a very low turnover rate (13.7% of possessions) which is second best on the team to Kyle Singler, and the best among guards on the team. And on Defense, his quick hands have led to a top 150 steal rate, easily the best on the team.

Chance of Break-Out: To break-out Curry would likely need to become more consistent at shooting, but I think Curry's best way to breakout would be for him to be able to learn to set up his teammates better for more shots. Curry can be seen akin to Nolan Smith last year: playing shooting guard, Nolan was extremely good at avoiding turnovers (a turnover rate of 12.8%, close to Curry's own 13.7%), while still setting up his teammates for good shots a decent amount of the time (an assist rate of 17.7%). Curry currently has an assist rate of just 12.4%, which is actually BELOW his low turnover rate. Curry doesn't need to be a true point guard, Nolan's there for that just like Scheyer filled the role last year. But if he can learn to find his teammates for open shots, perhaps by kicking out on drives, he can find his own shot more open as opponents have to more respect his abilities. Right now, Curry is simply an efficient shooter. By becoming a more complete player and learning to pass, he can break out. It should be noted that at Liberty, his assist and turnover rate were basically the same as they were right now, despite Curry being the only great player on that team.

Curry has much better teammates now...and while he's not shouldering the load as much and doesn't have the ball as much, he should learn to use them as much as they use him.

Andre Dawkins - Andre is an amazing shooter. No one denies that...up through last Sunday Andre still ranked nationally as a top 5 shooter by effective field goal % (eFG%) and True Shooting % (TS%). Pretty Impressive. But Andre hasn't proven he can do anything else...he doesn't create his own shots as much, he doesn't get as many steals as other guards on the team, doesn't find opponents for open shots (assists), and doesn't get to the free throw line very often (about half as often as his rival for playing time, Seth Curry). To be more than a role player, Andre needs to add a new dimension to his game.

Like Curry, I think that area is learning to move around with the ball and to find other open players. This is probably more difficult for Andre because he gets the ball less frequently when he's not open (when he should be jacking up a shot), and isn't as opt as moving around to get an opening. Of course, that's where Andre can improve, by learning to move around like Curry so that he can get the ball more often, allowing his overall game to improve. Unfortunately, I suspect that while his shooting may be more consistent, this is just too huge of a change for this season, as it involves Dre learning a whole new element of his game.

Tyler Thornton: - TT has really impressed me; those who've talked to me know I've thought little of him for most of the season and didn't think he'd make any impact. Ummm whoops? TT is of course known for his great defense, and is getting around 10 minutes a game recently, plenty of time to make an impact. That D will keep him getting playing time, especially against guard heavy teams.

Unfortunately, TT doesn't really have a great offensive game to go with it. This isn't a problem for Duke in general; Duke has had plenty of great D, no O players in its history (Sean Dockery and Dave McClure come to mind in recent memory, with Lance Thomas sort of being there as well). But to break out, he'd need to learn to really run the O and be a solid true point guard, allowing for Nolan to return to his role from last year.

So a break-out from TT would clearly go on offense. But for some reason, he doesn't shoot. Now, a true point guard can be a pass-first type of guy, but he needs to have the ability to make the defense respect his own scoring ability. Today, we saw TT drive to the hoop, draw a foul, and make an easy layup. If TT was to do that every now and then, passing lanes would open up, and he wouldn't be a liability on O. Unfortunately,like Andre, this is talking about what seems to be a new dimension for TT's game, and probably requires another season to develop....if he can find playing time in a crowded backcourt next year. Still, he's a frosh, so there's plenty of time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew, thats a lot of words I've just written. Personally, I think Duke's best hope this year isn't a single player breaking out, but Ryan, Mason, and Seth all improving in the ways I've outlined above to some extent, improving the team drastically. But well, we're a month away from March, so I hope they do so soon.

weezie
01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
That's the spirit right there! Good for you loran16, stay upbeat! Thumbs up!

Greg_Newton
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
You know, I'm not really sure this team needs anyone to break out and do more than they've shown thus far. They just need everyone to do what they've already shown they're capable of, and do it consistently.

Ryan's shown he can be a legitimate scoring threat on offense, along with being a solid rebounder and interior defender at the 4.

Mason's shown he can be one of the best rebounders in the conference, and has shown huge improvements in defensive positioning at times.

Andre and Seth have both shown they can go off when they're hitting. I think that's a great point about Seth having trouble with contested shots - he needs to play within himself, and only take what's given to him. But mainly, these guys just need to get their feet set before they shoot. I swear, I can call about 90% of their shots just by the release.

Miles has shown he can be an effective overall presence off the bench, disrupting things in the paint while not making many mistakes.

Combined with two senior A-A's on the perimeter, that should really be enough. Problem is, there's so much inconsistency that you don't really know what you're going to get on a given night.

loran16
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Combined with two senior A-A's on the perimeter, that should really be enough. Problem is, there's so much inconsistency that you don't really know what you're going to get on a given night.

See it's funny, I disagree because this seems to be heavily overrated by fans and the media: there's the idea by people that Duke's two stars are better than last year, and thus the team isn't as diminished by not having a third star (I know that's not what you were implying, but it's sort of implied when you bring up the A-As thing).

Last year, according to Ken Pomeroy's player of the year formula (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/the_kpoy_a_history/), Jon Scheyer and Kyle Singler were the #5 and #6 best players respectively.

This year, Duke has only one player in the top 10 (admittedly, Nolan's rating is higher than Jon and Singler's). Now some of that is opportunity, but the point is this:

Duke HAD two players who should of been A-As last year, in addition to a third star (Nolan) and an elite rebounder. If we agree that we still have the two A-As, are the other guys enough to make up for the loss of a third and the rebounder if one of them doesn't breakout or the group doesn't as a whole take a big step up? I don't think so IMO.

Also, as I noted above, Miles' play leaves MUCH to be desired.

CDu
01-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree with those that have suggested that it's not necessarily an individual breakout but a combination of several guys becoming more consistent contributors.

It would be great if one of Curry and Thornton could expand their games to either be capable of creating off the dribble (Curry) or be a bit more of a scoring threat (Thornton). That would relieve some of the pressure on Smith to create all of the offense for both himself and nearly everyone else.

It would be great if Mason got some semblance of an offensive game. That would give us an alternative to the "drive and kick" approach, which makes us extra-reliant on hitting 3s.

I think Curry and Mason are the best hopes for a "breakout," but I don't see either really breaking out (at least not any further). I'd like to see the shooters be more consistent factors on offense (Curry and Dawkins especially).

That being said, I have to note two things:

1) We don't necessarily have to have a breakout. Even if nothing changes, we have the quality and depth of shooters that we could get on a hot stretch and win 4 straight games (I'm assuming we'll survive the first two rounds on talent alone). It's not likely, but possible.

2) This one is obvious but needs mention anyway. Even with the breakout games, there's always the chance that we just face the wrong team on the wrong day. Last year's team wasn't so far ahead of the field - we just were good enough on each particular day against the opponent that we faced.

loran16
01-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree with those that have suggested that it's not necessarily an individual breakout but a combination of several guys becoming more consistent contributors.

It would be great if one of Curry and Thornton could expand their games to either be capable of creating off the dribble (Curry) or be a bit more of a scoring threat (Thornton). That would relieve some of the pressure on Smith to create all of the offense for both himself and nearly everyone else.

It would be great if Mason got some semblance of an offensive game. That would give us an alternative to the "drive and kick" approach, which makes us extra-reliant on hitting 3s.

I think Curry and Mason are the best hopes for a "breakout," but I don't see either really breaking out (at least not any further). I'd like to see the shooters be more consistent factors on offense (Curry and Dawkins especially).

That being said, I have to note two things:

1) We don't necessarily have to have a breakout. Even if nothing changes, we have the quality and depth of shooters that we could get on a hot stretch and win 4 straight games (I'm assuming we'll survive the first two rounds on talent alone). It's not likely, but possible.

2) This one is obvious but needs mention anyway. Even with the breakout games, there's always the chance that we just face the wrong team on the wrong day. Last year's team wasn't so far ahead of the field - we just were good enough on each particular day against the opponent that we faced.

"Break Out" is probably the wrong word...none of my suggestions above are particularly high on any of the players (I'm hoping at least one of them will further improve in a single area, essentially, or a little in two).

and #2 is correct. Last year's team almost ended to Baylor due to it being a tough style matchup. There's always luck in the bracket.

CDu
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
"Break Out" is probably the wrong word...none of my suggestions above are particularly high on any of the players (I'm hoping at least one of them will further improve in a single area, essentially, or a little in two).

and #2 is correct. Last year's team almost ended to Baylor due to it being a tough style matchup. There's always luck in the bracket.

I think you've touched on the key areas in which players could improve. But I think our most realistic hopes are that Curry and Dawkins find a way to be more consistent offensive presences. I think it would be great if Mason or Miles could become a consistent presence on offense in the post (I'm assuming that Kelly is going to continue to be a perimeter shooter for at least this year), but I'm less optimistic of that with each game that it doesn't happen.

And of course there's always the gorilla in the room (Irving).

loran16
01-31-2011, 12:51 AM
I think you've touched on the key areas in which players could improve. But I think our most realistic hopes are that Curry and Dawkins find a way to be more consistent offensive presences. I think it would be great if Mason or Miles could become a consistent presence on offense in the post (I'm assuming that Kelly is going to continue to be a perimeter shooter for at least this year), but I'm less optimistic of that with each game that it doesn't happen.

And of course there's always the gorilla in the room (Irving).

I'm not counting on the Gorilla. Nor should anyone else. Hope for the best, but that's probably still a longshot.

CDu
01-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm not counting on the Gorilla. Nor should anyone else. Hope for the best, but that's probably still a longshot.

Agreed. I'm not saying we should count on him coming back at all (or if at all even healthy). Just that it's a possibility, and if it happens it could address the "breakout" need.

UrinalCake
01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
I think Mason has the potential to break out. He's shown "glimpses" - the 25-point performance against Marquette, the Wake game last year - and I do feel like the team is trying to get him the ball, but he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Free throw shooting is definitely a problem and hopefully that can be corrected. I remember Lance being an awful free throw shooter early on too, and he brought it up to a respectable number. I think he mostly needs to build confidence.

The other possibility is a positional change such as moving Thornton into the starting lineup or having Curry play PG. We saw this a couple years ago with Elliot Williams. But that was a pretty unusual situation, and Coach K doesn't normally make such drastic changes this late in the year except in the case of injuries.

TampaDuke
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Dawkins. IMO, the only thing holding back Dawkins, is Dawkins. But I'm beginning to lose hope that he'll turn it around anytime soon.

yancem
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
While I agree that we need a more consistent 3rd scorer and a "breakout" by Mason would be great, I think that defense is being overlooked. One of the reasons that last years team was so successful was that it was so strong defensively. I have hard time envisioning them giving up 93 points to SJ. This year's squad seems to have too many lapses and doesn't seem to have quite the edge we had last year. This is where we really miss Lance and Z. Those two guys rotated so well that any errors by the guards were often covered up. Mason, Miles and Kelly (and Singler on occasion) don't seem to be working together as well with their rotations.

Hopefully, K can getting the defense clicking a little better. If he can, I think that will lead to a better offensive flow for everyone.

As for the "break out" player, I think that Kelly has already broken out offensively, Curry and Dawkins need be more consistent but otherwise I don't expect a big change out of them. Mason is the guy I think that could be a real difference maker down the stretch. He seem to have figured out how to cut out the silly fouls and is becoming a rebounding machine. He just needs to take the ball strong rim. I think that he is so worried about getting fouled and then missing the free throws that he's trying to avoid contact. I think that as soon as he starts trying to bull his way to the rim, things could turn around for him offensively.

NSDukeFan
01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
While I agree that we need a more consistent 3rd scorer and a "breakout" by Mason would be great, I think that defense is being overlooked. One of the reasons that last years team was so successful was that it was so strong defensively. I have hard time envisioning them giving up 93 points to SJ. This year's squad seems to have too many lapses and doesn't seem to have quite the edge we had last year. This is where we really miss Lance and Z. Those two guys rotated so well that any errors by the guards were often covered up. Mason, Miles and Kelly (and Singler on occasion) don't seem to be working together as well with their rotations.

Hopefully, K can getting the defense clicking a little better. If he can, I think that will lead to a better offensive flow for everyone.

As for the "break out" player, I think that Kelly has already broken out offensively, Curry and Dawkins need be more consistent but otherwise I don't expect a big change out of them. Mason is the guy I think that could be a real difference maker down the stretch. He seem to have figured out how to cut out the silly fouls and is becoming a rebounding machine. He just needs to take the ball strong rim. I think that he is so worried about getting fouled and then missing the free throws that he's trying to avoid contact. I think that as soon as he starts trying to bull his way to the rim, things could turn around for him offensively.

I am also a big fan of stats and like loran16s use of them, but I think after yesterday's game, it isn't stats where a breakout is needed. I think the fact that Lance's contributions to last year's team were downplayed is a bit of a problem. It is the sorts of contributions that Lance made last year (vocal leadership, intensity, being able to defend multiple positions, communicating on defense, being in the right place at the right time for help defense) that the team was missing vs. St. John's. I think finding someone (and hopefully a bunch of someones) to make those no-stat contributions will be more important going forward than all of the statistical improvements that individuals can make.

I agree with many of loran16's possibilities for individual improvement and hope to see them but, for this team to get far in March and April, I think team defense is the biggest key (along with favorable match-ups in the one-and-done tournament format.) This is where overlooking Miles may also be an issue as he is perhaps one of the stronger contenders for a defensive break out. He has often been the team's best post defender (blocking shots isn't everything), is junior with more time learning the system than anyone outside our all-American candidates and has had his playing time diminished by other good players at his position. He also might be the team's best big man low-post scorer. He has certainly had some inconsistencies this year, but as demonstrated, he could rebound a bit better and shoot better and hopefully that will come.

jv001
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
I am also a big fan of stats and like loran16s use of them, but I think after yesterday's game, it isn't stats where a breakout is needed. I think the fact that Lance's contributions to last year's team were downplayed is a bit of a problem. It is the sorts of contributions that Lance made last year (vocal leadership, intensity, being able to defend multiple positions, communicating on defense, being in the right place at the right time for help defense) that the team was missing vs. St. John's. I think finding someone (and hopefully a bunch of someones) to make those no-stat contributions will be more important going forward than all of the statistical improvements that individuals can make.

I agree with many of loran16's possibilities for individual improvement and hope to see them but, for this team to get far in March and April, I think team defense is the biggest key (along with favorable match-ups in the one-and-done tournament format.) This is where overlooking Miles may also be an issue as he is perhaps one of the stronger contenders for a defensive break out. He has often been the team's best post defender (blocking shots isn't everything), is junior with more time learning the system than anyone outside our all-American candidates and has had his playing time diminished by other good players at his position. He also might be the team's best big man low-post scorer. He has certainly had some inconsistencies this year, but as demonstrated, he could rebound a bit better and shoot better and hopefully that will come.

Lance was a key contributor in our late season run to the Championship. Lance could guard the 1-5 player in most games. With Lance and Kyle we had good defenders and good rebounders at two of the five positions. Then you throw in Zoubs at center and we were a good half court defensive team. Our starting lineup of: Nolan, Kyle, Seth, Ryan and Mason leave us at a disadvantage in guarding a small athletic team like St. Johns. Ryan is not quick enough and Seth is not strong enough. With Andre in for Seth, he's not quick enough. I believe Tyler in the starting lineup for Seth improves us defensively, but does it weaken us offensively? Seth needs to get stronger and Andre needs to get quicker. We thought that this would be a good pressing team before the season began, but that went out the window with Kyrie's injury. So it's back to the drawing board for Coach K. And I have the utmost confidence that he will figure it out. Let's hope it's against Maryland. Go Duke!

Scorp4me
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
I've said for some time that I think Tyler could be a real catalyst. I could be attributing him too much potential and I'm not clamoring for him to start. But I've seen him drive and dish to Mason, I've seen him drive and look to score, even seen him take a 3. But it's mainly that he puts everyone back in their correct positions. Frees things up. He doesn't have the same game as Kyrie (few do) but even attempting it at a lesser rate may help.

My question is in regards to the initial proposal that he would need to expand an offensive game that he hasn't shown in order to be successful. He hasn't shown it as a freshman, I'm just curious if he showed it in high school. I know things don't always translate, but it's a good background to know.

In an attempt to answer my own question I googled it and found the following link http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/44104/tyler-thornton It seems to indicate a player that went back and forth between what we're looking for and needing what we're looking for. Oh well.

loran16
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Lance was a key contributor in our late season run to the Championship. Lance could guard the 1-5 player in most games. With Lance and Kyle we had good defenders and good rebounders at two of the five positions. Then you throw in Zoubs at center and we were a good half court defensive team. Our starting lineup of: Nolan, Kyle, Seth, Ryan and Mason leave us at a disadvantage in guarding a small athletic team like St. Johns. Ryan is not quick enough and Seth is not strong enough. With Andre in for Seth, he's not quick enough. I believe Tyler in the starting lineup for Seth improves us defensively, but does it weaken us offensively? Seth needs to get stronger and Andre needs to get quicker. We thought that this would be a good pressing team before the season began, but that went out the window with Kyrie's injury. So it's back to the drawing board for Coach K. And I have the utmost confidence that he will figure it out. Let's hope it's against Maryland. Go Duke!

Lance was a key role player. I'm not going to knock that. But it was the three stars plus Zoubek, who were key. (Also, I'd debate that Lance could ever guard the 5 effectively. But he never had to with Zoubek not-fouling)

94duke
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Lance was a key role player. I'm not going to knock that. But it was the three stars plus Zoubek, who were key. (Also, I'd debate that Lance could ever guard the 5 effectively. But he never had to with Zoubek not-fouling)

Is Trevor Booker considered a 5?

Matches
01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
As much fun as it was to watch the light go on for Zoubek last year, what he did at the end of last season was really remarkable and probably not replicable. We hope players - all of them - improve continuously throughout the year, but it's relatively rare for someone to make a massive leap in-season. It'd be nice, but not something to count on.

My answer to "who will break out" is hopefully: the team as a whole. We strike me as a team still searching for an identity. We went into the season thinking we'd be one thing, then were forced to become something else on the fly. When Irving went down the conventional wisdom seemed to be that we needed to try to become last year's team. That's flawed thinking for several reasons:

1. Our personnel isn't the same as last year. We are more athletic and have better backcourt depth than we did a year ago. However, we lack a consistent third scorer, our interior defense isn't as good, and we lack a PG who can limit turnovers. (Scheyer was not a particularly good playmaking PG but he was very adept at avoiding turnovers. Nolan is a better playmaker than Scheyer but turns the ball over far more often.)

2. Last year's team wasn't perfect, either, and becoming just like them isn't a guarantee of success. There's not one foolproof model for winning a title.

This team needs to become its own thing. I do think Tyler's role will expand, though he'll have to figure out how to defend without fouling. This team is still very much a work in progress. The good news is that there are a lot of good pieces there - just remains to be seen how best to fit them together.

jv001
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM

I don't consider Lance as a role player because he was a very good defender. And you are correct in that he did not have to guard the 5. But he sure could guard the other 4 postions. Some people consider Lance a role player because he did not average double figures.I don't look at it like that because he was a good defender. I do agree we really miss Zoubs. He was a great offensive rebounder and he gave us more opportunities to score. Yes we had 3 stars plus Zoubek and Lance. Go Duke!

davekay1971
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I expect Ryan to be our most consistent "third scorer" (unless Kyrie comes back). He's certainly found the range if opposing teams leave him open at the wing. Coach K already said something along the lines of Ryan now needing to take the next step of finding ways to score when he's a focus of the defense. I'm expecting that to be some utilization of post moves. Most teams are going to be in trouble trying to keep a post defense on Mason and finding guys who are big enough and athletic enough to keep both Kyle and Ryan in check. If a team tries to cover him with someone in the 6'8"-6'9" range, Ryan will hopefully be able to work inside. I would love to see Ryan and Mason working some high-low post by the end of this year, since Mason is a capable finisher (unless he's trying to finish from the charity stripe) and Ryan has shown the ability drive from the high post or hit a mid range jumper.

I'd also add that Mason has already broken out, just not in the scoring column. He's been a consistent double-figure rebounder and has really improved his post defense. He's putting up Zoubekian numbers on the glass :D. I tend to concur that we need consistent production from a 3rd scorer, but I don't want us to underappreciate or overlook what Mason has done already this season just because it's not reflected in his PPG column.

Saratoga2
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
What we have is two seniors sho play very solid defense, can go for nearly 40 minutes a game and consistently put up 40 or more points as a baseline. Yesterday it was 52. Nolans scoring efficiency is good while Kyles is not quite where we would like it, but game in and game out they will give you at least 40.

What we need is a minimum of 15 from our other guards and 15 from our inside players and we need to play much better defense than we showed yesterday. With our size and talents, coach K needs to look at the defense and possibly go to a more compact man to man with the hope of holding other teams to 70 or less.

Saying that, Ryan Kelly has the size and intelligence to put defensive pressure on his opponents, while blocking a fair number of shots and getting rebounds. He had 9 yesterday. He also can score from the 3, from pull up distance and at times around the basket, plus he is a decent foul shooter. I think Ryan has already shown enough to know that he will help immensely in the stretch of games to follow. Maybe ywe can expect 10 points per game consistently.

Mason also has shown some specialty of rebounding, bothering shooters inside and blocking shots. He is athletic and can pass. Yesterday he very deliberately took two foul shots and made both. I had the feeling he has worked hard in that area and may be turning the corner. Saying that it is hard to see where he will score more than 4 or 5 points a game against good opponents.

Miles had a couple of up games, but seemed way off yesterday. He just doesn't seem good at catching the ball (hands) and making a play to the basket. His defense also didn't impress me. I don't expect major improvements from him this year, but it is sure good to have an athletic big man on the bench who can come in and contest shots and get rebounds.

Josh just hasn't looked ready for the competitive level as yet on defense. I don't expect him to get major minutes going forward.

At guard we have Andre who has a sweet stroke and seems only to lack confidence at times. He played fairly well yesterday, although his shooting needs to return to the earliet form. At 6'4" and mobile, he is a very good guy to come in and defend big guards. He also passes fairly well and doesn't turn the ball over a lot. In my view, he is the guard we have with the highest liklihood of helping the team. His handle needs to improve, but otherwise he looks like an improving player.

Tyler is a special case on this team. He wasn't expected to get a lot of time this year, but when Kyrie went down he seems to have found a role. Provide intense defense on the opponent's ball handlet while helping Nolan with the ball handling on offense. This kid is strong and tough and strong with the ball. I also think he has the potential to substantially improve his offense.

Seth has some skills that he has honed with a year of college play, another year of scrimmage play and now this year. That makes him experienced at the guard position. He uses that for shot fakes and to get open for shots. He also has fairly quick hands. He seems to have only so so ball handling skills and is greatly bothered by a large mobile guard when he has turnovers and his offense disappears.

To summarize, I think our best teams include Nolan, Kyle, Ryan, Mason and Andre.
An alternate to that team is one with Ryan or Mason, Kyle, Nolan, Andre and Tyler. Others I see as valuable subs.

PADukeMom
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Honestly I just don't know at this point. I've seen potential but where success is seen one game it is lost by the time the next game comes around. This team just mystifies me to no end. Too many uncontested points given up so early in the game & then they have to work harder to make-up those deficits. Working harder = tired legs.

Horrible day all around especially having to deal with idiotic Carolina fans who can not seem to fathom that 5 losses are 3 more than 2.

Scorp4me
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I've said for some time that I think Tyler could be a real catalyst. I could be attributing him too much potential and I'm not clamoring for him to start. But I've seen him drive and dish to Mason, I've seen him drive and look to score, even seen him take a 3. But it's mainly that he puts everyone back in their correct positions. Frees things up. He doesn't have the same game as Kyrie (few do) but even attempting it at a lesser rate may help.

Alright so I realize it's easy to arm chair coach, but I'm very pleased to see K agreed. It wasn't just a ceremonial start, Tyler played 28 minutes. And while his statistics were quite low, he did all that I mentioned (even the 3) but mainly rotated players back where they were comfortable and everyone seemed to benefit. Mason and Miles looked to score more, Nolan and Singler looked more comfortable, even Seth and Dre came off the bench for instant offense like they were doing earlier in the year.

He made a few freshman mistakes but I was very comfortable with him running the offense.