PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Lets change the subject.

Duke has a difficult match-up in College Park with the Terps -- made even more so by the St. John's game. Here are the questions to ponder:

1. Outside shooting? Can Duke return to form?

2. Perimeter match-ups? Can Duke take advantage of Maryland's relative weakness in the backcourt, given the loss of Grevis and Eric Hayes from last year's team.

3. Jordan Williams has been a load to defend, esp. for Duke. Williams went for 23 and 13 last time in a seven-point loss. That won't cut it. How does Duke defend against Williams?

4. What's the hangover from St. John's? A newly invigorated team or one whose confidence has been shaken?

Lets give some love to the Devils!

sagegrouse

Andre Buckner Fan
01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Lets change the subject.

Duke has a difficult match-up in College Park with the Terps -- made even more so by the St. John's game. Here are the questions to ponder:

2. Perimeter match-ups? Can Duke take advantage of Maryland's relative weakness in the backcourt, given the loss of Grevis and Eric Hayes from last year's team.

3. Jordan Williams has been a load to defend, esp. for Duke. Williams went for 23 and 13 last time in a seven-point loss. That won't cut it. How does Duke defend against Williams?

4. What's the hangover from St. John's? A newly invigorated team or one whose confidence has been shaken?

sagegrouse

I think teams have to earn kudos, even though I'll always love my devils. However painful it is to lose to a loudmouth like Lavin, it came at a good time, because we were in huge danger of losing back to back games to Maryland and UNC. We were playing flat and bored. Only Nolan and Kyle are bringing their own passion to the game.

You can bet the team will get an earful from K. It was conceivable that we'd lose to a good St. John's team, but the way we lost was absolutely inexcusable. We didn't try until it was too late.

The Terps played us hard enough to win IN CAMERON. You can bet the game will be a whole lot tougher on the road.

If we play like we did today, then we lose by 15 again.

uh_no
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM

I think this is obviously a good question, and I'm sure they will shoot better (it'd be hard to shoot worse!), but I think the better question is "How can Duke better respond next time when the 3's aren't falling to avoid being put into such a large deficit" The answer might be put in more effort on the defense end to prevent scoring as much as possible (yeah I realize that's what the point of defense always is.....), it might be to change the flow of the big guys on the floor to increase their chances of an offensive rebound....i mean I have no idea what the answer is....but at some point in some tournament, we're going to go cold....and the question is, will we go the way the 2 years ago team did against villanova, or will be able to hang in the game until we find our touch....

terps84
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I honestly hope/pray the faithful will be creative and sportsman like in the support of the home team. As some of you know I traveled from Seattle to Cameron for the Terps game on the 9th for the first time. I was treated with respect and some competitive comments, but nothing over the top. I sat in section 6 row K next to Pam and had a great time and was very impressed by the energy from tip to end. Thanks for making me feel at home and I wish for the same atmosphere at Comcast along with the home team winning in the end:). All the best.

sagegrouse
01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Bump to the top--

1. What's going on with Maryland at Comcast? The Terps are 3-1 on the road -- best in the ACC -- but only 1-2 at home. You can bet "defending the court" will be the major point of emphasis with Gary in preparation for the Duke game.

2. As noted but quelched in an earlier thread (Pre-Pre-Game) the Maryland Administration has conducted a diversionary tactic for post-game celebrators/mourners and rioters -- an "official" bonfire on Chapel Court. What's the chance this will keep the students from immobilizing US-1 and burning a bunch of old sofas?

sagegrouse

MCFinARL
01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
We were playing flat and bored. Only Nolan and Kyle are bringing their own passion to the game.

I hope you are right about this, because it would suggest a relatively easy fix--but I'm not convinced. Yes, the team looked pretty flat in the first half--but to me, they didn't look bored, just bad (or at least lost). There was a fair amount of effort expended, but it wasn't useful effort because people were out of position, leaving guys open, or fouling on defense and missing their shots on offense. Bottom line, while more fire in the belly could help, I'm not sure that, by itself, it would have turned that ugly loss into a win.

CDu
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I hope you are right about this, because it would suggest a relatively easy fix--but I'm not convinced. Yes, the team looked pretty flat in the first half--but to me, they didn't look bored, just bad (or at least lost). There was a fair amount of effort expended, but it wasn't useful effort because people were out of position, leaving guys open, or fouling on defense and missing their shots on offense. Bottom line, while more fire in the belly could help, I'm not sure that, by itself, it would have turned that ugly loss into a win.

I agree. It wasn't just a matter of effort. We seemed to lose assignments (both on and off the ball) easily, which is a combination of focus and effort.

Effort is always the easy go-to solution. But hustle can only get you so far. SJU had a great gameplan and had great execution. We needed better awareness and focus. Those are also teachable, though I'm sure the approach is different.

-bdbd
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
I honestly hope/pray the faithful will be creative and sportsman like in the support of the home team. As some of you know I traveled from Seattle to Cameron for the Terps game on the 9th for the first time. I was treated with respect and some competitive comments, but nothing over the top. I sat in section 6 row K next to Pam and had a great time and was very impressed by the energy from tip to end. Thanks for making me feel at home and I wish for the same atmosphere at Comcast along with the home team winning in the end:). All the best.

Thanks Terps84, but.... I wouldn't exactly hold my breath!!! Your comments were very nice, but just no way the explitive-laden/vulgar crowd chants are going away, nor are the post-game rioting and looting. Just praying for no violence like in some recent years past.

All that said, I wouldn't envy MD and their timing. I fully expect K and staff to have lit a fire under the Duke squad this week. They will be very fired up to play at Comcast! If anything, my greater concern would be that they not get too fired up too early. Look for a very focused, energetic Duke squad this week.

:eek:

strawbs
01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
after we lost to fsu the next game against virginia we came out flat to the tune of a 31-25 half time deficit. The guys have to come out and take it to maryland right away. If we don't come out with intensity and hitting shots, it might be a long night.

OldPhiKap
01-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Glad you had a good time in Cameron, terps84, and hope you are right about Comcast. I would be curious to hear your thoughts after the game, win lose or draw. -- OPK

Saratoga2
01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
We were playing flat and bored. Only Nolan and Kyle are bringing their own passion to the game.

You can bet the team will get an earful from K. It was conceivable that we'd lose to a good St. John's team, but the way we lost was absolutely inexcusable. We didn't try until it was too late.

I don't buy that the kids weren't trying. I think they tried hard to win the game but were unable to do so. The reasons are probably complicated, but being away from home with a hostile crowd may have had something to do with the poor shooting. I also think the kids have to be put in a position where they can best succeed. The type of defense played against a quick opponent was obviously not successful. Coach K has been given kudos for using his players in the best manner considering their talent. I don't think he did that in the SJ game. Perhaps he needs to redirect the defense in anticipation of the Maryland game.

cptnflash
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Lets change the subject.

sagegrouse

I'll take a crack at this. Great questions by the way.

1) Regression to the mean ensures that we will improve from outside. I just hope we don't get tentative. Would be great to see the first couple go in, just to make sure.

2) We should dominate their less talented and drastically less experienced perimeter. Of course, I said roughly the same thing about St. John's, at least regarding the talent differential.

3) No idea. Maybe hope Williams eats some bad eggs for breakfast?

4) This will be a great test of our emotional toughness as a team. I can't wait to see how the guys respond. The environment will be as hostile as it can possibly get, too. This is a must win game for Maryland and their fans already smell blood in the water.

Pomeroy has this game as essentially a toss-up, as his system still puts Maryland at #13 nationally. I'm sure Coach K will have the guys ready for a battle.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, it's amazing how soft our schedule has turned out to be due to the coordinated implosion of the ACC and all of our supposedly challenging non-conference opponents. After Maryland, the second highest Pomeroy ranked opponent we've played is... Marquette? Wha?)

MCFinARL
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
I'll take a crack at this. Great questions by the way.

1) Regression to the mean ensures that we will improve from outside. I just hope we don't get tentative. Would be great to see the first couple go in, just to make sure.

2) We should dominate their less talented and drastically less experienced perimeter. Of course, I said roughly the same thing about St. John's, at least regarding the talent differential.

3) No idea. Maybe hope Williams eats some bad eggs for breakfast?

4) This will be a great test of our emotional toughness as a team. I can't wait to see how the guys respond. The environment will be as hostile as it can possibly get, too. This is a must win game for Maryland and their fans already smell blood in the water.

Pomeroy has this game as essentially a toss-up, as his system still puts Maryland at #13 nationally. I'm sure Coach K will have the guys ready for a battle.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, it's amazing how soft our schedule has turned out to be due to the coordinated implosion of the ACC and all of our supposedly challenging non-conference opponents. After Maryland, the second highest Pomeroy ranked opponent we've played is... Marquette? Wha?)

Strongly agree with your point #4. In the recent past we have had some players who really thrived in hostile environments--JJ, for example, or Jon Scheyer--but I'm not sure, really, about this group. Kyle and Nolan are seasoned veterans and won't fold, but may not actively feed off the atmosphere; for the younger guys, this will be a real test, since they will need to fight off any hangover from the last game and the hostile atmosphere at the same time.

Duvall
01-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Strongly agree with your point #4. In the recent past we have had some players who really thrived in hostile environments--JJ, for example, or Jon Scheyer--but I'm not sure, really, about this group. Kyle and Nolan are seasoned veterans and won't fold, but may not actively feed off the atmosphere...

True. It really sad the way they wilted in front of 30,000-50,000 opposing fans in the postseason last year.

DevilYouthCoach
01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
I just saw the Maryland buses go by and instead of destinations, all of them say, Go Terps! Beat Duke! The whole campus smells blood in the water. Anything less than our max energy A Game isn't going to cut it. I am predicting Duke by 4. ( I think the SJ game was an outlier, perhaps from poor scouting, over-confidence, mental fatigue, Big East blahs-- something like that).

gep
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
after we lost to fsu the next game against virginia we came out flat to the tune of a 31-25 half time deficit. The guys have to come out and take it to maryland right away. If we don't come out with intensity and hitting shots, it might be a long night.

FSU-loss to UVA is my worry. In fact, for the past few games, starting "slow" has been the hallmark. Duke has to find a way to start with a blitz, get out ahead by 10-15 points immediately... I'm patiently waiting for that game, and many more :cool:

jipops
01-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Off to one of the nation's top defensive team's home floor facing a crowd that hates us more than they hate themselves. It is going to be a very rough ride. This one may give a serious test to the fortitude of this board. Losing this game in a similar manner to how we lost on Sunday will not mean something is seriously wrong. Of all the games on our schedule, this has been the one to most likely drop an L. Whatever happens, I do think it will be a turning point for the team.

Kedsy
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM

One thing I noticed at the St. Johns game (which I have also noticed at other pro arenas) is that Duke's players for the most part spotted up beyond the outside 3-point line.

At Cameron (and all college arenas) the outside line is the correct line (the inside line is the women's line) but at pro arenas the inside line is the correct line -- the outside line is the pro line and is between 15 and 36 inches longer than the college line (depending on where you are on the court).

And as I said, for most of the game we seemed to be setting up beyond the outside line, and our shots (for the most part) were coming up short. It was only in the last 5 to 7 minutes of the game that we seemed to spot up at the correct line and, lo and behold, we started making shots at that point.

I've noticed this same phenomenon at other pro arenas, but I haven't checked to see if our three-point shooting percentage was lower than average in those arenas. I highly doubt we missed 21 of 22 (as I believe we started against St. Johns), but my guess is our percentage in pro arenas is worse than in college arenas.

Having said that, we started off missing our first ten three-point attempts against Florida State, and that's a college venue. So the line we shot from may have had nothing to do with our poor shooting against St. Johns. But I wanted to bring it up anyway.

NYC Duke Fan
02-01-2011, 05:39 AM
True. It really sad the way they wilted in front of 30,000-50,000 opposing fans in the postseason last year.

There is a missing ingredient and his name is Jon Scheyer. We do not have a third option as we did last year. We had it with Irving but not any more. Curry and Dawkins are too inconsistant and I am not going to touch the Plumlee v Zoubek and Thomas comparisons. as it is being discussed on another thread.

It just might be that Duke is overrated right now and there is something missing from this team...call it passion if you want or something else.

The Virgina game was a prime example. After losing to Florida State , no big deal, and UVA coming to Cameron you would think that Duke would come out flying. So what happened....UVA led at half time.

Even the NCState game where we were up ay 14 at the half and instead of putting them away we let them come back. Lest you forget UNC just cleaned their clocks this weekend. We were all joking about UNC early on, but don't be shocked if they won the regular ACC season

We have tough games at Miami, at Va Tech, 2 with UNC and Wednesday"s game. I do not expect Duke to win all 5. The Temple game will not be a cake walk

Unless Coach K makes some adjustments , a repeat will be out of the question.

I am sure that I will be criticized for this negative reply, but I am 70 years old, have put two of my children through Duke, one through the Duke Medical School, and have just seen one of my closest friends treated successfully for a gioblastoma at the Duke Hospital Brain Center, so I have thick skin and criticism on a sports forum has little effect.

left_hook_lacey
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
One thing I noticed at the St. Johns game (which I have also noticed at other pro arenas) is that Duke's players for the most part spotted up beyond the outside 3-point line.

At Cameron (and all college arenas) the outside line is the correct line (the inside line is the women's line) but at pro arenas the inside line is the correct line -- the outside line is the pro line and is between 15 and 36 inches longer than the college line (depending on where you are on the court).

And as I said, for most of the game we seemed to be setting up beyond the outside line, and our shots (for the most part) were coming up short. It was only in the last 5 to 7 minutes of the game that we seemed to spot up at the correct line and, lo and behold, we started making shots at that point.

I've noticed this same phenomenon at other pro arenas, but I haven't checked to see if our three-point shooting percentage was lower than average in those arenas. I highly doubt we missed 21 of 22 (as I believe we started against St. Johns), but my guess is our percentage in pro arenas is worse than in college arenas.

Having said that, we started off missing our first ten three-point attempts against Florida State, and that's a college venue. So the line we shot from may have had nothing to do with our poor shooting against St. Johns. But I wanted to bring it up anyway.

I think you bring up a good point. Our guys routinely make 3's at home and on the road that are at or beyond NBA 3 point distance, but there is no NBA line in those arenas. Toeing the NBA line at MSG could've set off a mental break-down in depth perception making the guys think they were closer than they really were. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

At this point, I've given up on trying to make since of such a poor outside shooting night and just hope that's behind us now. Everyone has a terrible night at some point, even the best of the best. Let's hope the worst is behind us and all our guys aren't cold on the same night again.

Duvall
02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
There is a missing ingredient and his name is Jon Scheyer. We do not have a third option as we did last year.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the question of whether Duke has players that feed off a hostile environment. Any team would be better with Jon Scheyer or Kyrie Irving; that's completely irrelevant.

BlueDevilBaby
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Looking forward to the game and will be at the Comcast Center wearing my Duke blue. I've never had a problem with the fans, even when MD wins, but I am not usually near the students, not obnoxious about it, and a mature woman:o (I know that did not help Boozer's mom).

As for the game, I'd like to see Duke just hand it to Gary and the Twerps, but I doubt that will happen. I expect better offensive flow though - the Twerps' press is not as good as the Johnnies'. GO DUKE!

rsvman
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
There is a missing ingredient and his name is Jon Scheyer. We do not have a third option as we did last year. We had it with Irving but not any more. Curry and Dawkins are too inconsistant and I am not going to touch the Plumlee v Zoubek and Thomas comparisons. as it is being discussed on another thread.

It just might be that Duke is overrated right now and there is something missing from this team...call it passion if you want or something else.

The Virgina game was a prime example. After losing to Florida State , no big deal, and UVA coming to Cameron you would think that Duke would come out flying. So what happened....UVA led at half time.

Even the NCState game where we were up ay 14 at the half and instead of putting them away we let them come back. Lest you forget UNC just cleaned their clocks this weekend. We were all joking about UNC early on, but don't be shocked if they won the regular ACC season

We have tough games at Miami, at Va Tech, 2 with UNC and Wednesday"s game. I do not expect Duke to win all 5. The Temple game will not be a cake walk

I am sure that I will be criticized for this negative reply, but I am 70 years old, have put two of my children through Duke, one through the Duke Medical School, and have just seen one of my closest friends treated successfully for a gioblastoma at the Duke Hospital Brain Center, so I have thick skin and criticism on a sports forum has little effect.

Spot on, sir.

I do think, however, that adjustments CAN be made, and that this team still has a huge upside. We've seen Coach K change things up mid-season on several occasions in the past few years and I'm hoping he'll do the same thing now.

If I'm Gary Williams I'm working hard on my full-court press and on an offensive scheme similar to that run by St. John's. I'm certain the team has been working on press-breaking and some alterations to the halfl-court pressure D early this week.

MCFinARL
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Okay, I see your point--but I did say I don't know how they will react, not that I think they will wilt. It's true Andre hit some big buckets in a game that was essentially away against Baylor, and the Plums made some key post-season contributions as well. But they were not carrying as much responsibility then as they do now, and Seth, Tyler, and Josh weren't playing. Plus at that point they were working on a stretch of wins, not coming off an embarassing loss. Again--I'm just saying I don't know how they will respond and this could be an important test; I hope they will be fired up, and I guess I think it's at least as likely that they will be as that they will wilt.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Looking forward to the game and will be at the Comcast Center wearing my Duke blue. I've never had a problem with the fans, even when MD wins,

Good luck to you. I typically let little comments get to me in similar situations and remember mouthing off to a group of GTown students at the Verizon Center once. For me, going to the Comcast Center seems unwise.

zack2014
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I just saw the Maryland buses go by and instead of destinations, all of them say, Go Terps! Beat Duke! The whole campus smells blood in the water. Anything less than our max energy A Game isn't going to cut it. I am predicting Duke by 4. ( I think the SJ game was an outlier, perhaps from poor scouting, over-confidence, mental fatigue, Big East blahs-- something like that).

Before most games the buses say that. They switch between that "Go Terps! Beat x" and the destination. As for the students here, most of them are scared to death after the St Johns game because, according to a kid on my floor, "I dont think Duke has ever lost back to back games." I havent heard many students feeling optimistic about UMD winning. Wish me luck cheering for Duke from the students' section.

BlueDevilBaby
02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Good luck to you. I typically let little comments get to me in similar situations and remember mouthing off to a group of GTown students at the Verizon Center once. For me, going to the Comcast Center seems unwise.

I will take any chance I can get to see Duke in person, not living near Durham. I had more problems with the GTown crowd several years ago at one game (JJ's time) than I ever have had combined at 5+ MD games. I will react if someone dares touch me (like a push or shove) or gets in my face or says something that offends me personally as opposed to being directed toward Duke. For example, I'm a Cowboys fan and was at FedEx Field for the Deadskins game a few years ago. Young fellow next to me repeatedly shouted in my face before the game started. So after one shout too many, I grabbed his sorry. . .by the shirt collar and told him if he so much as looked at me during the game I would punch him in the face. Not so much as a sideways glance in my direction the rest of the day. In retrospect, probably not a wise thing to do since he was much bigger than me and half my age, but I don't tolerate disrespect of elders, ladies, and personal space, and it worked!

MChambers
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Before most games the buses say that. They switch between that "Go Terps! Beat x" and the destination. As for the students here, most of them are scared to death after the St Johns game because, according to a kid on my floor, "I dont think Duke has ever lost back to back games." I havent heard many students feeling optimistic about UMD winning. Wish me luck cheering for Duke from the students' section.
Vaya con Dios!

cptnflash
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Off to one of the nation's top defensive team's home floor facing a crowd that hates us more than they hate themselves. It is going to be a very rough ride. This one may give a serious test to the fortitude of this board. Losing this game in a similar manner to how we lost on Sunday will not mean something is seriously wrong. Of all the games on our schedule, this has been the one to most likely drop an L. Whatever happens, I do think it will be a turning point for the team.

As tough as this game is likely to be, I don't agree with you at all. If we get badly outplayed for a second game in a row by an inferior team, it will definitely mean something is seriously wrong in my book. And this is a high leverage game for us in terms of NCAA seed line. Remember that we're already off the #1 line in just about everyone's bracket. With the weakness of the ACC this year, I think we have to go 13-3 and win the ACC tournament at a minimum to get back into a #1 seed position, based on what the teams now ahead of us (Ohio State, Kansas, Texas, and Pitt) and close behind us (especially Kentucky and UConn) are likely to do from here on out. Losing tomorrow, especially by a lopsided score, leaves us NO margin for error the rest of the way. We could maybe lose one more game, and even that might be too much.

Besides, do we really want to be in second place in the ACC when UNC rolls into town next week? People scoffed before the UNC/Texas game when I said the first part of UNC's ACC schedule was easy and they could easily arrive at Cameron 7-1 in conference. Well, don't look now, but...

Waynne
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I think Comcast is the toughest place we play all year. I was at the game last year, and hearing 15,000+ people chanting "blank you Duke" for minutes at a time is not for the faint of heart. Many MD fans spent the entire game standing and screaming words that cannot be repeated on a family board. It must have been deafening on the court; I don't think our guys could hear each other.

Our men are really going to have to wear their strong faces, and play with a lot of focus and passion. It will be very interesting to see how we do the first 10 minutes. A win would do wonders for the team's confidence.

jipops
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
As tough as this game is likely to be, I don't agree with you at all. If we get badly outplayed for a second game in a row by an inferior team, it will definitely mean something is seriously wrong in my book. And this is a high leverage game for us in terms of NCAA seed line. Remember that we're already off the #1 line in just about everyone's bracket. With the weakness of the ACC this year, I think we have to go 13-3 and win the ACC tournament at a minimum to get back into a #1 seed position, based on what the teams now ahead of us (Ohio State, Kansas, Texas, and Pitt) and close behind us (especially Kentucky and UConn) are likely to do from here on out. Losing tomorrow, especially by a lopsided score, leaves us NO margin for error the rest of the way. We could maybe lose one more game, and even that might be too much.

Besides, do we really want to be in second place in the ACC when UNC rolls into town next week? People scoffed before the UNC/Texas game when I said the first part of UNC's ACC schedule was easy and they could easily arrive at Cameron 7-1 in conference. Well, don't look now, but...

I think you would believe something is seriously wrong if your idea of this Duke team is different than what they actually are and what they have been. Also, Maryland is not at all an inferior team. They are one of the best, if not the best, defensive teams in the country. We have ball control issues, we've had them for a while now, it isn't anything new. This is a very tough matchup coming and it is possible this one could get out of control quickly. The good news is that we won't have to face a great defense like that on the road until we travel to Chapel Hill.

We are not the best team in the ACC right now. There is a more talented team down the road that finally has their heads in it despite their coach. And there is a high likelihood the standings will be reflecting that as well. Good thing there is a lot of the season left to play.

dukelifer
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM

The exact same thing was being said last year at this time. It all depends on how the team is playing at the beginning of March. A good team like Duke- and they are a good not a great team- can make a run- even if they win every game by 1. But winning it all is always hard and it will be no different for this team. They are feeling the pressure a bit and winning the previous year does take away some of the hunger for a championship. That is why repeating in any sport at any level is unusual.

uh_no
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
The good news is that we won't have to face a great defense like that on the road until we travel to Chapel Hill.

I'm not sure that's good news except for a good record standpoint. In order to beat those defenses in the tournament, we're gonna have to figure them out sooner or later. I think we'll come out blazing against maryland (They beat us last year up there, and remember what happened last time we rematched an opponent on the road who beat us big previously cough cough clemson), and I hope that the practice we get against the defense we'll be a huge benefit come tourney time.

That said, we obviously had a close game at our place, and now we're at their place. Both gary and K are great coaches and will likely have spent a bunch of time pouring over tape from the last game to see what we can do better.....I think gary is one of the only coaches in college basketball who comes close to rivaling coach in that kind of preparation.....rest assured, those kids will be ready to play

go duke

cameroncrazy3104
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I think this game needs to have a similar effects as the first Maryland game of the year last year. Zoubs came on in that game and after that game there was no looking back for him.

I have a feeling that the practices today and yesterday were not exactly the most relaxing practices any of the guys have ever had. Tomorrow we will see if they respond figure out our problems for good or we get more of the same and it could be trouble ahead.

I hope and pray that we could have a breakout performance from someone and that it could spark the fire underneath this team and get us back on track.

jdj4duke
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I am ordering up a burger

-bdbd
02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Lots of fretting going on around here.

Anything can happen, but my money's on the guys in blue feeling embarrassed by Sunday's result in NYC, and coming out very fired up. I look for a double-digit win and a very sweaty Gary Williams... oh, and a riot afterwards. (But that last one was kinda a 'gimme!')

:rolleyes:

NSDukeFan
02-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Lots of fretting going on around here.

Anything can happen, but my money's on the guys in blue feeling embarrassed by Sunday's result in NYC, and coming out very fired up. I look for a double-digit win and a very sweaty Gary Williams... oh, and a riot afterwards. (But that last one was kinda a 'gimme!')

:rolleyes:

I am fretting in an excited way. This has the makings of a very intense, very good game and whoever wins will have to play a very good game. I don't think I am as confident as you but hope to see Duke win (and I would be happy with any margin.) I think this game could have a big impact for both teams going forward. Of course, that is until the next big game.

gw67
02-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I expect the Devils to rebound from their poor performance this past weekend and win tonight by 8-10 points. The Terps are a better team than most folks on this board believe but they match up very poorly with the Devils from several aspects. First, Duke has much more talent. Second, Maryland does not have a player who matches up with Singler. Mosely at 6-3 or 6-4 has played him in the past and been unsuccessful. Third, the Terps are a poor shooting team, whereas, the Devils are a good shooting team from the field and foul line. Maryland does have some strengths. They are a very good defensive team, particularly on the perimeter and Williams is playing like a 1st team All ACC player in the middle. Regardless of the recent performance, the Devils are also a good defensive team, particularly against in-conference teams where Coach K and staff know the opposition. As one who roots for both teams, I expect a close game unless the Devils get off to a quick start. The Terps are like college football teams who rely on a running attack or dink-and-dump passing. They don’t have the fire power to come back from big deficits against good teams.

gw67

MChambers
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Third, the Terps are a poor shooting team, whereas, the Devils are a good shooting team from the field and foul line.
Hope you're right, gw67, but I worry that Duke does best against teams that take a lot of outside shots. Maryland isn't that inclined to shoot from outside, sort of like St. Johns. I hope our defense is better than it was Sunday.

moonpie23
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
i try to logically view the stats but the truth is......it's always tough against MD......up there...cis......acc tourny, whatever..

here's hoping our boys have shed whatever that was at Msg......

Dev11
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

You, sir, are a brave man. I have walked down the student section at halftime during this game in years past to say hi to friends, while wearing my Laettner jersey, and I often feared for my life. I have had nothing heavier than popcorn thrown at me, though. Also, they always fear they won't win the game. It makes the riot seem more authentic if they think they just pulled off a huge upset.

Billy Dat
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I expect the Devils to rebound from their poor performance this past weekend and win tonight by 8-10 points. The Terps are a better team than most folks on this board believe but they match up very poorly with the Devils from several aspects. First, Duke has much more talent. Second, Maryland does not have a player who matches up with Singler. Mosely at 6-3 or 6-4 has played him in the past and been unsuccessful. Third, the Terps are a poor shooting team, whereas, the Devils are a good shooting team from the field and foul line. Maryland does have some strengths. They are a very good defensive team, particularly on the perimeter and Williams is playing like a 1st team All ACC player in the middle. Regardless of the recent performance, the Devils are also a good defensive team, particularly against in-conference teams where Coach K and staff know the opposition. As one who roots for both teams, I expect a close game unless the Devils get off to a quick start. The Terps are like college football teams who rely on a running attack or dink-and-dump passing. They don’t have the fire power to come back from big deficits against good teams.

gw67

Thanks for this analysis, I whipped through the entire thread and found very little discussion of potential tactics. I contacted a Terp aquaintance and here are some of his insights about where Maryland is right now:

"My best guess is a result similar to the first metting (Duke winning a pretty close game). I'm sure the players and the fans will be up for the game, but I don't think too much has changed. Jordan Williams should be able to dominate Duke inside again, but Singler is a real matchup problem for Maryland at either the 3 or the 4 (I happen to think Duke is better served playing him at the 3 with Smith, Dawkins, Curry, and whatever Plumlee isn't in foul trouble). I have no idea what to expect from any other Maryland player though. They are all capable of having a pretty good game, but Tucker, Bowie, and Stoglin have been very inconsistent. Mosley has not played well for most of the year (actually just had a really nice game @ GT on Sunday though). Dino Gregory has been pretty solid this year and is a nice complimentary player when he's hitting his 14 foot jumper (which he's almost always open for since Williams gets so much attention). I think Duke getting crushed at St.Johns hurt Maryland's chances of winning. I didn't see the game though, and maybe Maryland found something that St. Johns did that can help them."

When I mentioned the St John's strategy of a half court trapping D to make Smith dribble a lot and eat shot clock and their offensive strategy of driving on Duke all day, especially with their bigs, this was his response:

"well Maryland could do #1, but I'd be worried abotu Duke's 3 point shooting.
and there's no chance that # 2 will happen. Maryland doesn't have big men to take you off the dribble."

As I think about this game, I think about the first match-up we had in the 2007-2008 season when Kyle and Nolan were freshman. Coming off the 2007 "down" year, we had a fairly gaudy record (17-1) but the game was at Comcast and it felt like a statement game because we'd lost both games to them the year before. We were down 5-10 points at the half but Demarcus had a monster game and we won. After St. Johns, this team feels a little fragile and a big road win against a rival would be huge. Here's hoping the Georgetown v Syracuse game ends on time.

UrinalCake
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I happen to think Duke is better served playing him at the 3 with Smith, Dawkins, Curry, and whatever Plumlee isn't in foul trouble

That doesn't make sense to me... did he mean to say Singler should play the 4 with those guys?

A Maryland buddy of mine seconded the opinion that other than Williams, their whole roster is very inconsistent. They just don't know who will show up on a given night. Of course, given that they're playing Duke, most likely they'll all show up.

My take is that getting Williams in foul trouble early again will be key. If he hadn't had to sit during the first half of our last game, he might have ended up with 40.

The Gordog
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I think teams have to earn kudos, even though I'll always love my devils. However painful it is to lose to a loudmouth like Lavin, it came at a good time, because we were in huge danger of losing back to back games to Maryland and UNC. We were playing flat and bored. Only Nolan and Kyle are bringing their own passion to the game.

The Terps played us hard enough to win IN CAMERON. You can bet the game will be a whole lot tougher on the road.

If we play like we did today, then we lose by 15 again.

I would agree with all of this except the assertion that Nolan and Kyle brought their own passion. Kyle was a bit off most of the game, but he seemed to be trying in the first half. Nolan on the other hand only attempted 4 shots in the first half and looked, frankly, pretty terrible (for him.)

UrinalCake
02-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Nolan on the other hand only attempted 4 shots in the first half and looked, frankly, pretty terrible (for him.)

Maryland made a concerted effort to cut him off every time he drove with the ball. That was their whole game plan. In the second half we brought in Tyler to run the point, and moving Nolan off the ball seemed to help give him some room to operate. It will be interesting to see if a.) Maryland employs a similar strategy, and b.) Tyler plays a significant role again.

DUKIE V(A)
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Duke is more talented, UMD has home court and needs a win in the worst way...

Keys to the game IMO:

1. Attack the basket early and often (and hopefully get Williams into foul trouble).
2. Control the boards.
3. Curry and/or Dawkins shooting well.

Duke wins if we do 1. OR 2. AND 3. It is going to be tough for Singler and Smith to do it all tonight.

mkirsh
02-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Maryland made a concerted effort to cut him off every time he drove with the ball. That was their whole game plan. In the second half we brought in Tyler to run the point, and moving Nolan off the ball seemed to help give him some room to operate. It will be interesting to see if a.) Maryland employs a similar strategy, and b.) Tyler plays a significant role again.

Since the first MD game our best counter to this defensive strategy has been Ryan Kelly. Nolan's penetration usually comes from a ball screen on the left wing or at the top of the key and he beats the hedging defender and then heads down the right side of the lane. When defenders have been collapsing on him recently he's been much better at kicking it to Kelly (and sometimes Curry) in the corner for the open three, or pump fake pull up j. If Duke spaces well and Kelly stays hot then the driving lanes open up for Nolan

mgtr
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I think it will be interesting to see if Thornton starts in an attempt to get Nolan off to a better start.

dukestheheat
02-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Lets change the subject.

sagegrouse

like our chances tonight, based on history. Enough said.

LET'S GO DUKE!! THROTTLE UP!!

dth.

AZLA
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
You, sir, are a brave man. I have walked down the student section at halftime during this game in years past to say hi to friends, while wearing my Laettner jersey, and I often feared for my life. I have had nothing heavier than popcorn thrown at me, though. Also, they always fear they won't win the game. It makes the riot seem more authentic if they think they just pulled off a huge upset.

You should be fine. Put on a football helmet, button up a raincoat, put in ear plugs and have a friend video tape on their iPhone what will be future conclusive evidence in a court of law.

Nrrrrvous
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
"Jay" Williams just picked MD! Just when you thought...

lpd1982
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM

And it's the tenth anniversary of the miracle minute in Md....shame, shame.

DMV2434
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Can't blame him. He won't have a job at ESPN if he picked Duke every time. I just hope he doesn't actually think that.

Gthoma2a
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
This is one game that I would like to see us wear the black jerseys for. The miracle minute happened in the black jerseys, so they aren't totally bad for us (at least not here).

Bluedog
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Look for Tyler to get the starting nod in this game...Coach K likes to shake things up after a bad game. LET'S GO DUKE!!

moonpie23
02-02-2011, 08:55 PM
hope we get off to a good start.....don't want to be trying to climb out of a big hole up there....

go duke !!!!

anon
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Look for Tyler to get the starting nod in this game...Coach K likes to shake things up after a bad game. LET'S GO DUKE!!

I personally would be surprised. (Not a slight to Tyler, who I think has done very well in his opportunities and has great potential.)

Edit: And I stand corrected.

Bluedog
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I personally would be surprised. (Not a slight to Tyler, who I think has done very well in his opportunities and has great potential.)

Told you. ;)

94duke
02-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Wow, Thornton starting.
Nice, Bluedog.

anon
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
And he looks great out there. And Nolan looks more comfortable.

pfrduke
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Somebody woke up Mason Plumlee. Good aggressive start on the offensive end. The defense is still reacting, rather than dictating, but this has been a strong first 4 minutes.

sbroc012
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
i like the agressiveness of everyone so far...attacking the hoop

UrinalCake
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Pretty sure he picked them last year too 8-(

thebur
02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
ok, the moment during the comeback from commercial when the one student with glasses was the only one who never realized what camera was on was PRICELESS. DVR anyone?

DukieTiger
02-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Duke has to be tougher on the boards in this game.

riverside6
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7042

wgl1228
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Mason finally hit the fade away!

anon
02-02-2011, 09:39 PM
What was the call AFTER the kicked ball by Tyler?

wgl1228
02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I hate to complain about officiating but man come on!

Johnboy
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
What was the call AFTER the kicked ball by Tyler?

Looked to me like the in bounder stepped on the line

mkline09
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I love Jay Bilas but if he says Maryland should drive the ball one more time I think I'm going to be sick.

UrinalCake
02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
No Singler, no Smith, no problem!

SMO
02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Geez, Duke is shooting way too many 3's. Somebody make 'em stop. Geez! I hate open 3's!!!:cool:

DukieTiger
02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I really liked the way we broke Maryland's press after having to call a TO a few minutes ago. They trapped TT, he had to call timeout, come back from the break, pass the ball quickly up the court and hit Seth for an open 3. We need to keep making people pay for pressing us.

SMO
02-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I've never heard a crowd so excited to be down 7 at the half. Might they burn things and riot at the half to celebrate?

DukieTiger
02-02-2011, 10:01 PM
That was an awful end to the half. We had them down, let them back in it. Mason is a god-awful free throw shooter.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Horrible, horrible end to the half. Now we probably in for a big struggle in the 2nd half.

DukeVol
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Bilas is really making me gag this game. How does he not at least "challenge" the reversed call on the Maryland turnover?? They show the replay and Thornton is no where near the ball!!

brumby041
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I hate to complain about officiating but man come on!

This.

DevilYouthCoach
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
When we had a large lead, it was time to stay aggressive and crush them.... Who called that semi-delay game for the last three minutes of the half? We completely lost our aggressiveness and rhythm. Gave them the momentum again. Let the crowd back in it.

moonpie23
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
md taking it to the hole knowing that the refs forgot what a charge is......

sheesh.....

gwlaw99
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I really like the way Tyler is pushing the ball up the floor.

CLW
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Mason finally hit the fade away!

But not a free throw. Wow his form/shot just doesn't even look like it has a chance of going in. I'm surprised he's hitting 40% of his free throws.

94duke
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
When we had a large lead, it was time to stay aggressive and crush them.... Who called that semi-delay game for the last three minutes of the half? We completely lost our aggressiveness and rhythm. Gave them the momentum again. Let the crowd back in it.

Well, Nolan has 2 fouls, so I imagine we were buying some time, trying to get to halftime.

Dr. Tina
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
MD got back into it a bit, but I think we should be pleased with how we handled not having Nolan or Kyle in the game for 5-6 minutes! We went on a bit of a run and found a way around the trap. The nice thing is now we have a really fresh Kyle and Nolan for the 2nd half, too.

I like Tyler's play. He's had some freshman kinks to work out with the trap and such, but I think he's doing well.

CLW
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I thought Thornton played pretty well in the 1st half and more importantly him taking the PG responsibilities takes some pressure off of Nolan to do it all.

However, either St. John's and Maryland have the best drivers of the basketball in the country or our guards on the ball defense is really off right now.

OldSchool
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
For some big guys when they're shooting free throws the rim looks so close it is tempting to think one can just throw it in, and that's what Mason's free throws look like to me. However, one has to actually shoot the free throws, using arc and back spin, and rhythm, and not just try to throw it over the front of the rim. There is no reason why Mason can't be a good free throw shooter, he is just using bad technique.

Chris Randolph
02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
The last time we came off a loss this season, we were at home and played terrible for the first 25 minutes....

Very pleased with the first half effort tonight. Good contributions from everyone. Maryland getting the favor of the whistle (ALWAYS happens at Maryland, accept it and move on). Considering our 2 All Americans didn't play much, a 7 point lead is great.

Very happy with the response of this team following the game against St. Johns. A testament to their hard work and focus and to Coach K and his staff.

Play with the same focus and intensity in the 2nd half as you did the 1st half and the Devils will be dancing in College Park!

stillcrazie
02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Obviously we lost some momentum there at the end. I thought the problem was not so much stall ball but the fact that no one called a jump ball at their end when everyone was scrambling for the ball on the floor and they came up with it. That seemed to turn the momentum toward the end. I trust that we will get reoriented at half time and come out strong.

jv001
02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
We had our two best players on the bench(fouls) for a good part of the first half, we played very well. Good to see Duke not forcing shots and tos. Now let's get the lead out to about 15 pts in first 4 mins. Go Duke!

dairedevil
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
For a good bit of the last 3 or 4 minutes of the half, our lineup was the Plumlees, Thornton, Dawkins, and Curry...uh, no wonder we didn't score since our 2 big scorers were sitting on the bench so they wouldn't get a third foul. Nolan and Kyle made brief appearances.

mkline09
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I think ESPN wants us to know Maryland fans hate Duke.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Bilas is really making me gag this game. How does he not at least "challenge" the reversed call on the Maryland turnover?? They show the replay and Thornton is no where near the ball!!

Yeah, no doubt about that one. Surely Jay could have at least questioned that one - it was a pretty dubious call, IMHO. But what I thought was really weird was when Nolan and Singler were put in for that last play of the first half. As Duke was trying to wind the clock down before running an offensive play, Jay said something to the effect of "An offensive foul would be huge here." And he said it in a way that I'd expect a Maryland announcer to say it. Not quite like he was hoping for that to happen, but it just seemed like a weird comment to make at that moment.

SMO
02-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Bogus foul on Singler. All kinds of silly whistles tonight.

SMO
02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Bogus foul on Singler. All kinds of silly whistles tonight.

Then Miles commits a legitimately stupid over-the-back followed by a ridiculous call against him when he had his back turned.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Finally, we get a charge call. :D

davekay1971
02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Then Miles commits a legitimately stupid over-the-back followed by a ridiculous call against him when he had his back turned.

Aside from Miles' egregiously over-the-back foul, all the calls on Duke to start the 2nd half have been bad calls. I try not to terp about the refs, but this is pretty bad.

This has been going on ever since Gary called out the ACC's "pro-Duke bias" back in 2001.

Addendum: wow, in the short time it took me to type that, Nolan gets his third...then was that Ryan with his fourth?

pfrduke
02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I hope Casey, Todd, and David are ready - there may be no one else left by the time this one is done. :mad:

wgl1228
This game has almost been a pain to watch with all the fouls.

Fouls
Duke 17
Maryland 10

Bluedog
Now Kelly with 4...Nolan, Kyle, Miles with 3. Jordan Williams looks like Hansbrough out there with his initiating contact.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Boy, the calls are just getting ridiculously one-sided. I thought after the officials got a chance to really look at the stats at the half they might swallow the quick whistles a little bit, but no such luck. And it really does seem to be going all in one direction.

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
We're fouling a lot, and that's going to make the stretch run potentially very interesting (not in a good way).

The only other negative is that Thornton has made some poor decisions. He's had a few very lazy passes for turnovers, and gotten himself trapped in the backcourt resulting in another turnover or two and a forced timeout.

Love the way Mason started the game, and not just the points but the effort and energy. Nice to see the 3pt shots falling again, too.

DukeGirl4ever
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Was this mentioned yet?

I do believe I see a hint of THE ZOUBEARD!!!!

Miles and Mason look pretty decent.
The refs are horrible both ways.

dairedevil
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Do you think that K will point out the foul disparity? It won't be long until we have twice as many as md has... right now we've got 4 player in foul trouble, 17 fouls have been called against us to 10 for them.

dukelilsis
02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Congrats to Kyle for passing Danny Ferry.

DukeGirl4ever
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Kyle Singler is a BEAST!

pfrduke
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I think Kyle may be feeling it tonight. Wow.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I think Kyle may be feeling it tonight. Wow.

Yes, and thank goodness for it. If not for him we'd really be in a dogfight right now.

lpd1982
02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Oregon is hotter!!!

CBDUKE
02-02-2011, 10:38 PM
When a Md. player goes diving out of bounds after the ball, how do they get it? Just his actions would indicate that they touched it last.

Bluedog
02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Singler has been on FIRE. Can't believe Maryland just got the out of bounds call. The MD guy KNEW it was off him so tried to save it, but the ref still gave them the ball. Watched in three times in slow-mo and Mason was on the ground when TWO maryland players went up tipping the ball out of bounds. Where is the officiating conference to discuss it? bah.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Boy, the calls are just getting ridiculously one-sided. I thought after the officials got a chance to really look at the stats at the half they might swallow the quick whistles a little bit, but no such luck. And it really does seem to be going all in one direction.

Maryland players never foul. You didn't know?

dairedevil
02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Could someone tell espn I want to watch basketball, not hear an interview with a football coach?

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
We're fouling a lot, and that's going to make the stretch run potentially very interesting (not in a good way).

The only other negative is that Thornton has made some poor decisions. He's had a few very lazy passes for turnovers, and gotten himself trapped in the backcourt resulting in another turnover or two and a forced timeout.

Love the way Mason started the game, and not just the points but the effort and energy. Nice to see the 3pt shots falling again, too.

They're fouling a lot, too. It's just not getting called. :)

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Do you think that K will point out the foul disparity? It won't be long until we have twice as many as md has... right now we've got 4 player in foul trouble, 17 fouls have been called against us to 10 for them.

That's a function of style of play. We're shooting jumpshots, they're going to the rim. You don't get fouled on jumpshots as much as you get fouled going to the rim.

dukelilsis
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes, we have definitely seen the ACC officiating at it's finest tonight. I am being sarcastic.

Wow! I can't believe they actually called the charge on Maryland. Of course, Jay thinks it should be against us.

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
We caught a break there. That was Singler's 4th foul, but we got the charge called instead.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for taking a minute to discuss that block/charge call Jay. Too bad you can't do it both ways, buddy. [shakes head in disgust as Jay bends over backwards, yet again, to show he's not a Duke homer]

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Smart play by Mason. Saw he had a one-on-one with Williams. And OH WOW, what a dunk.

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't get why they stopped going to Mason... he had a good first half and it put williams at risk to commit fouls.

Glad they're going back to him.

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
We're back to attacking off the dribble again. That's a good thing. If you want to draw fouls, you have to attack the basket. Good things happen when you get dribble penetration.

dairedevil
Looks like the refs said, oops, we'd better call something on md...gotten a few calls the last few minutes..'bout time!

jv001
I'm really learning to dislike Jay Bilas. Go Duke!

ChrisP
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
That was sweet!

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm really learning to dislike Jay Bilas. Go Duke!

I like him when he's not calling Duke games.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Love how the Maryland players always have these demonstrative faces and such whenever they think they didn't get a call that went their way. Duke just goes about it's business most of the time. But Maryland has been trained well by Gary Williams - look astonished and flop your arms up and down to show how disgusted you are with a call. That of course just enrages the fans all the more. Right now it's crazy in that building of all these calls (both ways).

dahntaysdawg
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM

I hate him all day every day, I think he actually gets off on being "unbiased"

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Looks like the refs said, oops, we'd better call something on md...gotten a few calls the last few minutes..'bout time!

Nope. We just decided that we'd start driving to the basket, which is where the refs are calling fouls.

pfrduke
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Dre all day!

wgl1228
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
ok the fouls are now def getting out of hand

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Nope. We just decided that we'd start driving to the basket, which is where the refs are calling fouls.

That's half right. Yes, we are going inside a bit more and it's helping with the whistles. But, regardless of that, there have still been far more questionable calls that have gone Maryland's way. And it's had nothing to do with them being the more aggressive team.

dairedevil
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM

I don't have a huge problem with Bilas. At least he's talking about the game, the players, the officiating. He'll tell you who got called for a foul, and how many that makes. He had nice things to say about Singler when he had that little run. I think that we get a little oversensitive during the games. Just like I want every shot by Duke to go in, I think the announcers should only say nice things about us ;)

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
That's half right. Yes, we are going inside a bit more and it's helping with the whistles. But, regardless of that, there have still been far more questionable calls that have gone Maryland's way. And it's had nothing to do with them being the more aggressive team.

I think that's debatable. In any case, it comes off as Terping.

Thankfully, we're shooting well enough that might not matter either way.

FerryFor50

They're not calling the fouls on the drives consistently, that's the problem.

Like the phantom touch foul on Mason near the end of the 1st half vs some of the hard shots Nolan takes while driving.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Did they just laugh about that? What poor taste.

DukieTiger
They showed the replay of Neal's screen on Nolan 2 yrs ago- where's Neal getting dunked on a minute later by G??

_Gary
They showed that old screen from a couple of years ago, but they failed to show what Gerald had to say about that the next time down. :D

mkline09
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Did they just laugh about that? What poor taste.

Yep they sure did. I guess concussions are funny now.

wgl1228
espn = anti duke

FerryFor50
I don't have a huge problem with Bilas. At least he's talking about the game, the players, the officiating. He'll tell you who got called for a foul, and how many that makes. He had nice things to say about Singler when he had that little run. I think that we get a little oversensitive during the games. Just like I want every shot by Duke to go in, I think the announcers should only say nice things about us ;)

All I dislike about his announcing is the lack of analysis of calls when it's against Duke, but they'll go on ad nauseum when Duke gets one.

Other than that, he's fine.

anon
They showed the replay of Neal's screen on Nolan 2 yrs ago- where's Neal getting dunked on a minute later by G??

How would showing a pro-Duke clip be consistent with ESPN's ostensible motives over the last two hours?

dukebluelemur
Really, we have our arguments with Jay Bilas, but I never thought he was so classless as to go out of his way to play an old clip of a player getting injured and LAUGH.

Shame on you Jay, you're better than that.

CDu
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Great games from Curry and Dawkins and Mason. Just huge to see them step up in a tough road game.

FerryFor50
Yep they sure did. I guess concussions are funny now.

James Harrison of the Steelers thinks so.

Duvall
Really, we have our arguments with Jay Bilas, but I never thought he was so classless as to go out of his way to play an old clip of a player getting injured and LAUGH.

That was inexcusable.

SMO
02-02-2011, 10:58 PM

Agreed. It's time to remove humor from concussion replays.

_Gary
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
That was inexcusable.

Agreed. No way to sugarcoat that one. Wonder if it had been a Maryland player that had received the concussion if Jay would have still felt comfortable laughing about it. Just saying...

CDu

He didn't play the replay himself. The humor about it was unacceptable. But that's the ESPN production crew running the replay.

davekay1971
That was inexcusable.

Agreed.

mkline09
James Harrison of the Steelers thinks so.

Roger Goddell should fine ESPN $75,000 for that.

SMO
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Great games from Curry and Dawkins and Mason. Just huge to see them step up in a tough road game.

I dunno. I hate it when guys take open shots. They should pound it inside!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
That was inexcusable.

And did anyone else notice the student with the sign with that picture on it saying "Nolan remember this"... classless.

Not our rivals! clap clap clap-clap-clap

FerryFor50
I dunno. I hate it when guys take open shots. They should pound it inside!

They did pound it some inside. That's why Mason had a good game.

DukieTiger
All I dislike about his announcing is the lack of analysis of calls when it's against Duke, but they'll go on ad nauseum when Duke gets one.

Other than that, he's fine.

Well, the problem is that ESPN's producers NEVER show replays if a call goes against Duke. Hard for him to analyze it if they don't show it again.

jv001

I used to think so, but I'm really unsure these days. G-Man only ex-Duke player that is not afraid to announce the game fairly. Go Duke!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah Mason!!!!

SMO
Time to put a fork in the terps.

Ben1029
Well, the problem is that ESPN's producers NEVER show replays if a call goes against Duke. Hard for him to analyze it if they don't show it again.

They did when miles swatted that shot off the backboard.

FerryFor50

This is true....

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't get how a player like Jordan Williams, who initiates most of the contact, gets so many calls... doesn't the defender have a right to his space?

SMO
They did pound it some inside. That's why Mason had a good game.

But we're still going to shoot about 20 threes! Unacceptable I say!:p

DukieTiger
Mason has more than held his own against Williams tonight. More than held his own. Gotta give the big man props.

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
But we're still going to shoot about 20 threes! Unacceptable I say!:p

You tend to get open threes when you pound it inside :)

_Gary
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice last couple of possessions. We've whittled the clock down and finished. Beautiful stuff to watch when it's working right.

Nice rebound, young men!

Go Duke!!!!

davekay1971
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Williams with a Hansbroughesque game - lots of points, most of them from the foul line. He has apparently achieved the status of being unguardable...in that if you guard him, you get called for a foul.

Kudos to our guys. They've come out and played a heck of a game. Mentally and physically tough.

SMO
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
You tend to get open threes when you pound it inside :)

That doesn't mean you have to take them.

dairedevil
02-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't get how a player like Jordan Williams, who initiates most of the contact, gets so many calls... doesn't the defender have a right to his space?

Did you just cut and paste that from an old carolina thread...substituting Williams for Hansbrough?

FerryFor50
02-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Did you just cut and paste that from an old carolina thread...substituting Williams for Hansbrough?

Nah. Williams doesn't travel as much. ;)

NovaScotian
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
who else saw kyrie's shout out to ozzie on his boot:

"optoemism"