PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-UMD Pre-Pre-Game Thread

sagegrouse
01-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I see the linked graphic arts item, "Beat Duke Week," apparently from the UMd athetic department, advertises a "Postgame bonfire on Chapel Field 11:30PM." This is an obvious attempt to avoid the inevitable riots and clashes with the police: You know, "If we win, we riot. If we lose, we riot."

My only question: Have they pre-stocked the used sofas for the bonfire?

sagegrouse

MCFinARL
01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
So, we have started this thread so early because Maryland is our big rival, right? :rolleyes:

pjhw2021
01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Unlike here http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=38159 you are correct in that the bonfire is Maryland-sponsored. I'm not sure why the poster of that would imply the administration had no role in the creation of this event (which will occur on campus property) or should be alarmed by it. I am honestly perplexed by the suggestion that a school-sponsored bonfire monitored by police, student fire marshals, and other members of the community could possibly end any worse than letting students roam Route 1 with no structured activity.

The beatdukeweek.com events also include a poster contest, an event for watching MD v. GT, and a showing of historical MD v. Duke games.

Other notes of interest:
--MD Athletics is hosting a pre-game pep rally in Comcast and will be hosted by 2005-2009 Terp Dave Neal. It will "feature a live DJ, student contests, giveaways, a few surprises and a look back at last year's unforgettable game at Comcast Center" and free t-shirts. I have heard that there will be an attempt to teach new cheers.
--In partnership with SGA there is a section of reserved seating for students, with the caveat that those receiving a ticket must be positive and will be monitored.

For those of you who continually complain that the administration must do something, here is a first step. My opinion: drunk, crazy fans will still do what they want to do.

loran16
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Can we not post this thread until St. Johns please? One game at a time.

CBDUKE
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Two questions:

1. Don't we play St. John's tomorrow?

2. I thought Maryland wasn't our rival?

77devil
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Looking ahead of the next game is bad karma.

Kewlswim
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Looking ahead of the next game is bad karma.

Hi,

I don't think many Duke fans are looking past St. Johns.

GO DUKE!!

fisheyes
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Next Up: St. John's.

One game at a time.

-jk
01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Let's put this one on hold for 24 hours...

-jk