PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 recruiters in College sports

Marty10
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Insider article from ESPN, won't post the whole article cause i don't know the board's policy on posting insider content. I will post the whole list if it is allowed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/insider/news/story?id=6058518

6. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke men's hoops
Assistant Chris Collins opens many recruiting doors. Coach K locks up behind him.

In case you're wondering, Ole Roy doesn't crack the list.

magjayran
01-28-2011, 01:58 PM
How does Roy Williams not make that list? If nothing else, he's a pretty awesome recruiter.

Marty10
01-28-2011, 02:02 PM
How does Roy Williams not make that list? If nothing else, he's a pretty awesome recruiter.

I agree, I was expecting to see him on the list, maybe not for top 20 coaches in college sports, but for recruiters yes.

Only other MBB coaches to make the list are Calipari at 12 and Thad Matta at 15

Bluedog
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree, I was expecting to see him on the list, maybe not for top 20 coaches in college sports, but for recruiters yes.

Only other MBB coaches to make the list are Calipari at 12 and Thad Matta at 15

That seems ridiculous. While it hurts to say this, I personally think Calipari is the best recruiter/salesperson in the nation. Better than K. Who else has gotten so many #1 players at their position in the past three years? Calipari blows it away, I'm sure. 2009-#1 PG, #2 C, 2010-#1 C (although ineligible), #2 PF, #3 PG, 2011-#1 PF, #1 PG, #1 SF have committed to Cal in the past three years. It's crazy how much success he has had on the recruiting front really...

dukelifer
01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
That seems ridiculous. While it hurts to say this, I personally think Calipari is the best recruiter/salesperson in the nation. Better than K. Who else has gotten so many #1 players at their position in the past three years? Calipari blows it away, I'm sure. 2009-#1 PG, #2 C, 2010-#1 C (although ineligible), #2 PF, #3 PG, 2011-#1 PF, #1 PG, #1 SF have committed to Cal in the past three years. It's crazy how much success he has had on the recruiting front really...

Somewhat hard to define- as Cal has thrived in the one and done era. Cal is great at recruiting one and dones and seems to have created an environment where kids can do just what they need to do and stay NCAA eligible-take minimum of classes in first semester and take one or zero in the next - this has a lot of appeal to certain kids. One and dones lead to a lot of open spots the next year- a lot of potential playing time for the next crop. So for one and dones- he is the king.

Indoor66
01-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Maybe they are looking at results rather than subjective evaluations.

Bluedog
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe they are looking at results rather than subjective evaluations.

Well, it wasn't a list of best overall coaches. I'd agree results would certainly be important for such a list, and it would look quite different. :p This was simply rating recruiters. Recruiting occurs before players set forth on campus, so I'd think getting top notch players (according to the subjective evaluations) is all they really have to go off of...In any event, getting the label of "best recruiter" only takes you so far and it's certainly not the most important aspect of a coach's responsibilities, although it certainly helps to be a good recruiter. I'd much rather have the best coach though. ;)

Jderf
01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, it wasn't a list of best overall coaches. I'd agree results would certainly be important for such a list, and it would look quite different. :p This was simply rating recruiters. Recruiting occurs before players set forth on campus, so I'd think getting top notch players (according to the subjective evaluations) is all they really have to go off of...In any event, getting the label of "best recruiter" only takes you so far and it's certainly not the most important aspect of a coach's responsibilities, although it certainly helps to be a good recruiter. I'd much rather have the best coach though. ;)

Even if we're talking purely in terms of recruiting, I would argue that K still takes the title. Just look at the career resumés:

In 18 years as a head coach (not counting the NBA years), Calipari has recruited 17 NBA players, including 7 lottery picks.

In 30 years, Coach K has recruited 40 NBA players, including 15 lottery picks.

If you extend Calipari's numbers to 30 years, they are close. But I still give the nod to K.

Bluedog
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Even if we're talking purely in terms of recruiting, I would argue that K still takes the title. Just look at the career resumés:

In 18 years as a head coach (not counting the NBA years), Calipari has recruited 17 NBA players, including 7 lottery picks.

In 30 years, Coach K has recruited 40 NBA players, including 15 lottery picks.

If you extend Calipari's numbers to 30 years, they are close. But I still give the nod to K.

I agree if you rank based on the complete body of work over a career. However, if you base it on a snapshot in time as in "who is the hotter recruiter right now", I'd give the edge to Calipari. Luckily, K is also a really good recruiter (I'd still say he's top 3ish in the nation going by the "who's hot now" criteria) and a much better coach.

taiw93
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
In terms of who's hot RIGHT NOW in terms of MBB recruiting, my list would look something like this:
1. Cal (ew)
2. Coach K
3. Roy Williams (again, ew)
4. Thad Matta
5. Lavin (his 2011 class is positively ridiculous in every sense of the word)
6. Bill Self
7. Rick Barnes
8. Josh Pastner

I do think that in terms of TEAM BUILDING (which includes ability to recruit talent as well as fit, chemistry, ability to adjust to a role, etc), Coach K, IMO, is the unquestionable #1.