PDA

View Full Version : Andre?

ldavid1
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
What's going on with Andre?

wilson
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
He's suffered a dip in his confidence, owing primarily to some cold shooting, which has in turn led him to bring less than 100% effort and focus on every possession and at both ends of the floor. He has allowed a few bad calls and other moments of frustration to affect his demeanor way too much.
This, as we know, is the easiest route to Coach K's (temporary) doghouse. Long-term, he will be fine, but for now, he's (probably rightfully) sitting and thinking a little bit, while watching others (namely, Seth Curry) parlay solid practice and continuous resolve into starter's minutes and strong contributions to the team.

Rudy
01-28-2011, 11:36 AM
What's wrong? He's young. He's susceptible to mood swings in his game. I have faith in what we've seen of his character and Coach K's ability to motivate kids that he will find his shooting touch again and work hard on other parts of his game, too.

People who've watched Duke for three years or more may remember similar crises in confidence of its guards in their freshman or sophomore years, including our current NPOY candidate.

ldavid1
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Rudy, I agree with you. I'm not worried about his shot at all. IMO he just has not seemed happy all year. I could be, and probably am wrong, but I worry about his confidence and hope the fire is burning hot within.

Devilsfan
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
He don't move without the ball. He stands on the wing and waits for a pass. He needs to watch Kyle and start moving to get open.

MCFinARL
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I only know what I see on TV, but Andre didn't look all that unhappy before the last week or two, when things were going well--in fact, he usually looked excited and focused.
The shooting problems seemed to start in the NC State game--where he came out blazing, going 4-4 in the first half and providing a lot of our early points. But the foul trouble he got into seemed to slow his momentum, and he went 0-4 after coming back in from the bench. In the two games since then he has seemed less effective on the court and played many fewer minutes.
Whatever he is working through, I hope he figures it out soon (with the help of the coaching staff). His height means he can do some things, and guard some people, that Seth can't, and we will need both of them to be playing well as we head toward the postseason. And he seems like a good, likeable kid--so I'd like things to work out well for him as well as for Duke.

Cockabeau
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Before the season I correctly predicted that Curry not Dawkins would be the key factor.

Dawkins has a problem in that he has very short arms and he is very slow laterally for a guard his size. This is not a good combination for defense. Also he appears to have problems dribbling the ball.

Curry is a Dawkins with much longer arms and better ball handling skills.

CDu
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I only know what I see on TV, but Andre didn't look all that unhappy before the last week or two, when things were going well--in fact, he usually looked excited and focused.
The shooting problems seemed to start in the NC State game--where he came out blazing, going 4-4 in the first half and providing a lot of our early points. But the foul trouble he got into seemed to slow his momentum, and he went 0-4 after coming back in from the bench. In the two games since then he has seemed less effective on the court and played many fewer minutes.
Whatever he is working through, I hope he figures it out soon (with the help of the coaching staff). His height means he can do some things, and guard some people, that Seth can't, and we will need both of them to be playing well as we head toward the postseason. And he seems like a good, likeable kid--so I'd like things to work out well for him as well as for Duke.

I'd say that the problems may have started before that - with the FSU game in which he went 1-8 from 3. Prior to that, he'd not had a particularly bad shooting game all season. He then hit a couple of big shots in the second half of the UVa game, and had some early buckets in the NC State game. But including the FSU game, he's gone 5-24 in his last 5 games (with 3 of those makes coming in the UVa game).

He's still developing as a player, and I don't think he's yet expanded his game to the point where he's effective offensively if the outside shot isn't falling. And since the outside shot isn't falling right now, he's probably struggling with confidence. It's completely understandable that he looks frustrated. I'd be frustrated too if I had a beautiful shot like his that just wasn't falling.

I agree with you that I hope his shot returns and that he's able to regain that positive energy that he showed earlier in the season. I'd like to see him get stronger with the ball too. He had some trouble with this against FSU, and hasn't looked as aggressive against pressure defense since then.

Hopefully, he bounces back soon. As long as we don't have Irving, we need him and Curry to be factors at the wing spot to take pressure off of Singler and Smith and provide another weapon on the floor.

epoulsen
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Lets not forget a few facts here. Dre came to Duke early, he sped up the education process, it's a stretch to just assume he did the same for both his physical growth and mental growth. Had Elliot Williams not left he would probably have just joined the squad as a freshman. Add that to the fact that I'm sure on some level he is still dealing with the tragic loss of his sister. He is still a very young player, but we forget that sometimes as he received considerable PT on a national championship team.

Curry, on the other hand, has had a "similarly opposite" experience. Curry experienced a year of college level competition, and while he sat out for a year and couldn't even practice, again it would be a stretch to assume that he did not grow physically and mentally. Had he stayed at Liberty he would now be a junior.

While they are both sophomores as far as their eligibility is concerned, in any other circumstance one would be a freshman and the other a junior and there is obviously a big difference between them, both mentally and physically.

94duke
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Lets not forget a few facts here. Dre came to Duke early, he sped up the education process, it's a stretch to just assume he did the same for both his physical growth and mental growth. Had Elliot Williams not left he would probably have just joined the squad as a freshman. Add that to the fact that I'm sure on some level he is still dealing with the tragic loss of his sister. He is still a very young player, but we forget that sometimes as he received considerable PT on a national championship team.

Curry, on the other hand, has had a "similarly opposite" experience. Curry experienced a year of college level competition, and while he sat out for a year and couldn't even practice, again it would be a stretch to assume that he did not grow physically and mentally. Had he stayed at Liberty he would now be a junior.

While they are both sophomores as far as their eligibility is concerned, in any other circumstance one would be a freshman and the other a junior and there is obviously a big difference between them, both mentally and physically.

I believe Curry was able to practice with the team last year.

wilson
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I believe Curry was able to practice with the team last year.He did. The other players talked a lot about his contributions and hustle during practice, and K has repeatedly cited this in decrying the fact that Seth was barred from receiving a championship ring.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I'd say that the problems may have started before that - with the FSU game in which he went 1-8 from 3. Prior to that, he'd not had a particularly bad shooting game all season. He then hit a couple of big shots in the second half of the UVa game, and had some early buckets in the NC State game. But including the FSU game, he's gone 5-24 in his last 5 games (with 3 of those makes coming in the UVa game).

He's still developing as a player, and I don't think he's yet expanded his game to the point where he's effective offensively if the outside shot isn't falling. And since the outside shot isn't falling right now, he's probably struggling with confidence. It's completely understandable that he looks frustrated. I'd be frustrated too if I had a beautiful shot like his that just wasn't falling.

I agree with you that I hope his shot returns and that he's able to regain that positive energy that he showed earlier in the season. I'd like to see him get stronger with the ball too. He had some trouble with this against FSU, and hasn't looked as aggressive against pressure defense since then.

Hopefully, he bounces back soon. As long as we don't have Irving, we need him and Curry to be factors at the wing spot to take pressure off of Singler and Smith and provide another weapon on the floor.

I agree with you on the most part, but as long as we have Ryan Kelly playing the way he's playing right now, I think we'll be just fine :D

Dre is still the type of player that if he's not shooting well, it affects the rest of his game because his frustration gets the best of him. I was the same way in high school and most other kids were like that as well. He's young, but he'll get it eventually.

Bluedog
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Before the season I correctly predicted that Curry not Dawkins would be the key factor.

Dawkins has a problem in that he has very short arms and he is very slow laterally for a guard his size. This is not a good combination for defense. Also he appears to have problems dribbling the ball.

Let's not forget that a month ago people were saying Dawkins has "it", while Curry was off. Things sure can flip flop in a hurry. I think the lesson is that all players go through slumps. He is still making some good plays and certainly will have the opporunity to get back in great form. Andre is shooting nearly 53% for the season. That's not too shabby. By the way, Curry is shooting second-worst on the team (above only Hairston) at 39%. I'm not saying Curry is playing badly, but I wouldn't say he has solidly outperformed Andre. I also wouldn't say he has longer arms - does he really? I'd say Curry has quicker hands for sure though. He's averaging 1.4 steals per game, only 0.1 behind the Nolan who plays 12 minutes more per game. By the way, Kyle is shooting 43.9%. I don't think any of us would say he's playing poorly, but that's not a great percentage. It's the third worst on the team. I realize shooting percentage is a small picture, but even in that regard I expect Kyle to turn it up a notch. Even Kyle has gone through some shooting slumps (although he contributes in many other ways).

Bob Green
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Lets not forget a few facts here. Dre came to Duke early, he sped up the education process, it's a stretch to just assume he did the same for both his physical growth and mental growth.

This is a bit of a misnomer. Dawkins reclassified when he transferred to Atlantic Shores Christian Academy so even though he came to Duke after his junior year of high school he still spent four years in high school: freshman, reclassify, freshman, sophomore, junior.

I'm a huge Dawkins fan and extremely confident he is going to bounce back and drop 20 points on a team again this season. At a minimum, Dawkins will hit some key baskets down the stretch just like he did as a freshman against Baylor in the Elite Eight. He's in a temporary slump.

magjayran
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM

I think it's a little early to toot your own horn on this one. For stretches this year Andre has been more effective than Seth and for stretches Seth has been more effective than Dre. In fact, barring last night's awesome performance from Seth, their numbers are pretty comparable over the last 5 or so games.

In terms of size and arm length. They are two different sized players (Dre has a couple inches and 20 lbs on Seth) and two different types of athletes (Dre has explosive leaping ability and Seth is obviously quicker.) They won't necessarily be guarding the same players and won't necessarily have the same defenders matched up against them. I think it's possible that the opponent might dictate which player is more effective in a given game.

Remember, it was only a few games ago when Andre helped spark a nice Duke run that helped put Virginia away. The following game against NCSU saw both players with so-so performances although Andre was important in the first half. Seth got more minutes against Wake but neither player was setting the world on fire. Then last night Seth catches fire which is great but not necessarily a sure sign that he is now more important than Dre. We've got two incredibly streaky shooters on our team with amazing form. If Seth continues to shoot lights out over the course of the year then I will be happy to give you props on your correct prediction but until then, let's hold off on declaring one more important than the other. Up until this point I would say that they've been equally as important with Andre maybe having a slightly better year. I mean he's played 70 more minutes and has about 60 more points than Seth....

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll say that he looked better last night than he did in the second halves against State and Wake. In both of those games, his reactions to adversity seemed to be the problem, not his shooting touch. His attitude seemed better against BC, even if his PT didn't go up.

Shooters go through slumps, he'll be fine. I also think whatever else is going on will get fixed, our coaches are too excellent not to correct it.

Chitowndevil
01-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I disagree with this. Strongly. Dre has tremendous raw athleticism to go with his great shooting form. It's true he doesn't have a great handle yet (again though I'd draw analogies to Nolan earlier in his career). But I think his getting beat on D has a lot more to do with footwork, positioning, and focus than quickness or body type. I actually thought it was Seth who looked very slow laterally at the beginning of the season (he compenated somewhat by being able to poke the ball out from behind). Anyway I think Seth and Dre's recent relative performance has a lot more to do with mental strength and limitations rather than physical ones.

1999ballboy
01-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Correctly predicted? Apart from the last two games, Dawkins has contributed to the team as much as, and often more than Curry. It's a little early to be patting yourself on the back for your "predictions."

OZ
01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Run the tapes of the last two games and watch his defense. Right now the difference in Curry's time and Dre's is defense. It has been K's belief for a hundred years, that good defense leads to good offense. Simply put, play defense... you play more minutes.

CDu
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

I find this amusing. You've been silent over the past several weeks on this matter, given that Curry had indeed not been the key factor. In fact, until last night, it was looking like Curry might have been overtaken by both Dawkins AND Thornton.

You had even started taking credit for Dawkins as part of your "small lineup" argument when it looked like Dawkins was emerging and Curry was not going to be the key guy.

He's also substantially shorter, slighter, and has less of a vertical. And he's not that much better a ballhandler.

In short, both players are streaky, and both rely heavily on their 3pt shot. A few weeks ago, it looked like Dawkins was an emerging star and everyone was questioning Curry. Prior to last night, people were questioning both players. Today, Curry is back in favor. I'd wait a few more weeks before patting yourself on the back on this one.

epoulsen
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM

I was not aware of that, I read recently that he had not been allowed to practice but now that I think about it thats obviously not the case as Knox jumped right into the rotation at UNC. Could someone actually explain the rules regarding transferring and playing immediately vs. sitting out a year?

Also, good point with Andre Dawkins' high school freshman year, again I was not aware of that.

MChambers
01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I also wouldn't say he has longer arms - does he really? I'd say Curry has quicker hands for sure though.
Hard to tell without cinder blocks.

wilson
01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I was not aware of that, I read recently that he had not been allowed to practice but now that I think about it thats obviously not the case as Knox jumped right into the rotation at UNC. Could someone actually explain the rules regarding transferring and playing immediately vs. sitting out a year?Knox did not have to sit out because he graduated from Alabama in three years, then enrolled at unc in a graduate program that is not offered at Alabama (I have no idea what program that is).
Transfers sitting out are still permitted to participate fully in practices and other team activities; they just can't play in games.

Kedsy
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Andre has played more minutes than Seth this year, has a better scoring average, a better rebounding average, and is outshooting Seth 53% to 39%. Seth has scored in double-figures once (last night) in his last five games. So which part of your prediction was "correct"? In what way has Seth shown he is the "key factor" more than Andre?

While it's true you spent the entire off-season touting how Seth was going to start, play big minutes, and dominate, it's also true that when Andre was playing well and Seth wasn't, you mischaracterized your previous position to suggest you said the two were interchangeable.

And since you bring up defense, up until the last couple games it was Andre and not Seth who was getting the most raves for his D. The fact remains that Seth is way too small to guard most SFs in the ACC. Boston College might be the only ACC team against which we can get away with Nolan/Seth/Tyler (or Nolan/Seth/Kyrie, if Kyrie were available) for any length of time. This is why in my opinion, Andre is more of a "key factor" than Seth, although obviously the ideal situation would be if both Andre and Seth play well, because if they're both hot from the outside, we are awfully hard to stop.

I'm thrilled Seth played so well last night, and hope he keeps it up. But please stop patting yourself on the back for nothing.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Both players have key roles this year. Seth's ability to bring the ball up (and slide Nolan over to the wing or for a bit of a breather) is something Andre has not developed yet. But I disagree with the idea that Andre is pouting or that there is "something wrong" here. He is in a bit of a slump, and I am sure everyone on the team and staff is telling him to keep having faith in himself and to keep shooting.

Andre and Seth are both running their own races. Both are big contributors to where we are so far, and where we hope to go.

jv001
01-28-2011, 03:31 PM

As soon as I saw this post, I knew we would soon have a Dawkins vs. Curry argument going. Let's face it. We need both Andre and Seth to perform up to their capabilities. And both have not been consistent in their play. Andre started off like an NBA player(well someone said he was playing like one). As some have mentioned, he has played far below that level for several games. Seth has not shot the ball well until this last game. So that does not mean he's turned the corner. And I don't have any idea who has the longest arms. I'm not saying either is playing better than the other. We do have a HOF coach that has recently seen reason to reduce Andre's minutes. I would say that's because of his defense and ball handling. But that's just a guess. I'm rooting for Andre to start playing like we all know he can. I feel like the best way to accomplish that would be to show more emotion and hustle his rear end off(in practice and in games). Seth needs to use this last game as a stepping stone and shoot the ball with confidence. I'm not choosing sides because I love both these guys and we really need for them to step up. We've seen Ryan sort of turn the corner. Now let's hope we see the same from Andre and Seth. Go Duke!

Kedsy
01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
We've seen Ryan sort of turn the corner. Now let's hope we see the same from Andre and Seth. Go Duke!

Great point. Plus Mason has settled in as a rebounding machine and Miles seems more comfortable in his defensive role. If these five players (Ryan/Andre/Seth/Mason/Miles) are all contributing at a reasonably high level we'll be right where we want to be.

jv001
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Great point. Plus Mason has settled in as a rebounding machine and Miles seems more comfortable in his defensive role. If these five players (Ryan/Andre/Seth/Mason/Miles) are all contributing at a reasonably high level we'll be right where we want to be.

Great points regarding Mason and Miles. Several posters have really bashed these two guys, but as far as I'm concerned they are doing pretty much what's asked of them. I know Mason needs a low post move, but most of the time he sets up high. I guess that's by design. He could also improve his FT shooting. Miles has gotten more physical and has played well. Even shown a good touch when shooting the ball. And Ryan has really come on strong. He's shooting well, but more than that he's showing great basketball IQ. Yes if all 5 of these guys even come close to contributing at a high level, we'll be fine. Go Duke!

dukeimac
01-28-2011, 03:49 PM
First, as I have stated before, Seth is a more important factor in Duke success, right now than Andre is. That does not mean Duke doesn't need Andre, because they will for sure.

What Seth brings to the table is that he can run the point. He was a point guard at Liberty and showed he could be a big time scorer from there. Lead all freshman in scoring with a 20+ ppg average. Playing Seth at the point allows Nolan to roam. Nolan put up good points when Kyrie was at the point (and Jon), thus I believe Coach really doesn't want to use Nolan at the point and Seth is the best match for that. Tyler can play the point but he can't score like Seth. Andre can score like Seth but he can't run the point.

Thus, IMO, if Duke wants to be as close to being a threat to win it all, without Kyrie, Seth has to run the point.

Andre, much like Miles, needs to build his confidence up and needs to understand his role. A role of him coming off the bench to spell someone and be a contributor. Every team that wins a title has done so because they had role players who contributed in their own way.

Last year was a prime example. Mason and Miles came off the bench to spell Lance and Zo. Without them being contributors off the bench I don't think Duke wins it.

Andre, and Miles, time is coming. They just need to know when it will be. Much like Andre's 3's last year against Baylor.

The problem is, too many people think someone needs to fill the stats line to be considered a contributor. Lance didn't fill the stats line last year but he was a huge contributor. Don't discount what guys like Andre and Miles mean to this team.

CDu
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Great points regarding Mason and Miles. Several posters have really bashed these two guys, but as far as I'm concerned they are doing pretty much what's asked of them. I know Mason needs a low post move, but most of the time he sets up high. I guess that's by design. He could also improve his FT shooting. Miles has gotten more physical and has played well. Even shown a good touch when shooting the ball. And Ryan has really come on strong. He's shooting well, but more than that he's showing great basketball IQ. Yes if all 5 of these guys even come close to contributing at a high level, we'll be fine. Go Duke!

I agree that the level of criticism of these guys is too high. However, I'd caveat your statement that there's still quite a bit of room for improvement before I'd say they're where we want them to be.

As you note, Mason's offensive game is still very limited and his FT shooting is atrocious. That could be a problem when we face better teams. He's been terrific on the boards since 2011 began, and had several monster rebound games in November/December as well. He's getting better in terms of his decision making on the offensive end, too. The next step for him is to figure out a way to be a bit more relevant offensively, and to start hitting those FT% at least 50-60% of the time moving forward.

Miles has shown flashes of some real offensive gifts. Mason has, too, but Miles moreso. Where Miles seems to be struggling is in consistency. The guy seems to have a couple of solid/strong outings and then disappears for a few games. We don't need him to be a force every night out. He just needs to be a presence more consistently.

It would help both players if there were a few more easy opportunities for them. Our wing players are very good, but they're score-first, drive-and-kick-out guys for the most part. That doesn't play to the Plumlee's strengths. And because neither is a consistent back to the basket threat yet, their opportunities on offense are limited.

weezie
01-28-2011, 03:59 PM
And because neither is a consistent back to the basket threat yet

There's the operative, right there. I recall possibly hundreds of miles of postings commenting on Zoubs needing to become what he eventually, magnificently became.
It's all coming along for our Plumlees, yes it is!

jv001
01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
There's the operative, right there. I recall possibly hundreds of miles of postings commenting on Zoubs needing to become what he eventually, magnificently became.
It's all coming along for our Plumlees, yes it is!

Are you saying that Wo-Jo can coach big men? :D Go Duke!

Indoor66
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Knox did not have to sit out because he graduated from Alabama in three years, then enrolled at unc in a graduate program that is not offered at Alabama (I have no idea what program that is).
Transfers sitting out are still permitted to participate fully in practices and other team activities; they just can't play in games.

Grass mowing.

Kedsy
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
What Seth brings to the table is that he can run the point. He was a point guard at Liberty and showed he could be a big time scorer from there. Lead all freshman in scoring with a 20+ ppg average. Playing Seth at the point allows Nolan to roam. Nolan put up good points when Kyrie was at the point (and Jon), thus I believe Coach really doesn't want to use Nolan at the point and Seth is the best match for that. Tyler can play the point but he can't score like Seth. Andre can score like Seth but he can't run the point.

Thus, IMO, if Duke wants to be as close to being a threat to win it all, without Kyrie, Seth has to run the point.

While this sounds logical, I don't think it matches the reality we've been seeing. When Seth and Nolan are on the floor together, Nolan has been running the point and Seth has for the most part been off the ball. Last night, when Nolan, Seth, and Tyler were out there, Nolan still seemed to be running the point much more often than not.

jv001
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Nolan has the ball in his hands on most every trip down the court(offense). Seth does help handle the ball in some sets, but Nolan usually has the ball in his hands. However Seth at times will guard the opponents pg and take some pressure off of Nolan in that regard. Tyler plays basically the same way when he's on the court. Andre does not have the handle to help with ball handling duties and he cannot guard the opposing pg. So in essence, Nolan is the point guard most of the game. Go Duke!

Rudy
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Nolan has the ball in his hands on most every trip down the court(offense). Seth does help handle the ball in some sets, but Nolan usually has the ball in his hands. However Seth at times will guard the opponents pg and take some pressure off of Nolan in that regard. Tyler plays basically the same way when he's on the court. Andre does not have the handle to help with ball handling duties and he cannot guard the opposing pg. So in essence, Nolan is the point guard most of the game. Go Duke!
I've notice that too and am somewhat mystified by it. I have the sense (confirmed by others on this board) that it would benefit the team and Nolan to let him play at the #2 guard spot and let Tyler and Seth take the lead at point for some stretches of the game. But as long as Nolan is on the floor the offensive sets almost always start with him at point.

Nolan seems to have stopped over-forcing the action, but that may just be my perception because no one since FSU has been able to stop his penetration.

DUKIE V(A)
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Good news for Mr. Dawkins and Duke...everytime someone gets criticized...they step up...see Zoubs, Lance, the Plums, Kelly, etc., etc., etc.

The criticism of Dre is way out of line IMO. He has had a very, very good sophomore season and has been an important part of the team this season (including the second half against UVA and first half against State during his "slump"). I will acknoweldge that Andre has had a couple rough games defensively but he seemed to make great effort on defense last night (he had 6 points scored against him by my count -- on a 3 and an and one -- and saved a sure bucket with a great block). Also, credit to him for playing within the offense rather than forcing bad shots the last few games. Many players of his offensive ability would be unwilling to be a good teammate and play within the team structure when they aren't scoring to the extent they are used to. He is also actively cheering on his teammates when they make good plays...if you don't see that, you aren't watching.

The last few games, Dre has not had as many offensive opportunities as earlier in the season for a variety of reasons (1. Not being the top option, 2. A lot more defensive focus on him at the 3 point line, 3. Less minutes, etc.). Also, as much as Dre spoiled us with great shooting early in the season, even great shooters like him miss sometimes. Let's cut the guy some slack -- besides most of his shots are right on line and just missing by a bit.

Glad to see Curry step up, and he certainly earned the time he got last night. I expect that both Curry and Dawkins will step up for us down the stretch, and we will need them both to do so with or without Kyrie. Thank goodness we have so many great options...Kyle, Nolan, and Kyrie can't do it all, and they are not going to be "on" every game. I imagine Dre, Seth, the Plums, and Kelly would be primary scoring options on many ACC teams. They are sacrificing their own stat lines for the good of the team. Let's not lose sight of this and the larger picture in our haste to jump on what we perceive as a disappointing performance or two.

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I think it is attitude related. I posted back last month that right before the end of the first half in the St Louis game, Andre could clearly be seen talking back to the coaching staff. I presumed it was due to a missed defensive assignment because as he sat there pouting, that quick little guard for the Bilikins turned the corner on Nolan, and you could see Andre throw out his arms like to say "see, he isn't guarding him any better". Obviously I could not hear the discussion, but I was surprised to see Andre's body language and facial expressions. He was obviously not liking what he was hearing. They were "childish" to say the least. To be honest I was surprised that he started the second half, but he got pulled pretty quick and sat the rest of the game.

May not be anything related to this, but that is my guess....

dukejim1
01-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Nolan's soph year - Played in 34 games with 21 starts ... averaged 8.4 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game

This year:
Andre - played in 20 games started 7.... 10.4 points 2.4 rbs and .9 assts
Seth - played in 20 started 5 .... 8.3 points, 1.4 rbs and 1.8 assts

Not to say either will be a Nolan but we all remember some real up and down times for Nolan duing that year. Never thought he would be effective running the point from his performance that year. I believe both Dre and Seth will be developing in their own ways at their own pace and we will be pleased with the results from both.

DukieinSoCal
01-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Great points regarding Mason and Miles. Several posters have really bashed these two guys, but as far as I'm concerned they are doing pretty much what's asked of them. I know Mason needs a low post move, but most of the time he sets up high. I guess that's by design. He could also improve his FT shooting.

http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/the-lack-of-assertiveness-from-mason-plumlee-in-the-post/

I'm surprised this article hasn't generated a bit more discussion. It's a great breakdown of Mason on offense. I don't want to be critical of Mason. He's a great kid and has been playing good defense and rebounding like mad, but our team offense could elevate to another level if Mason were to become a bit more of a threat. He's clearly athletic enough. Maybe he just needs more confidence, a little mean streak/aggression when he receives the ball.

jv001
01-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Good news for Mr. Dawkins and Duke...everytime someone gets criticized...they step up...see Zoubs, Lance, the Plums, Kelly, etc., etc., etc.

The criticism of Dre is way out of line IMO. He has had a very, very good sophomore season and has been an important part of the team this season (including the second half against UVA and first half against State during his "slump"). I will acknoweldge that Andre has had a couple rough games defensively but he seemed to make great effort on defense last night (he had 6 points scored against him by my count -- on a 3 and an and one -- and saved a sure bucket with a great block). Also, credit to him for playing within the offense rather than forcing bad shots the last few games. Many players of his offensive ability would be unwilling to be a good teammate and play within the team structure when they aren't scoring to the extent they are used to. He is also actively cheering on his teammates when they make good plays...if you don't see that, you aren't watching.
The last few games, Dre has not had as many offensive opportunities as earlier in the season for a variety of reasons (1. Not being the top option, 2. A lot more defensive focus on him at the 3 point line, 3. Less minutes, etc.). Also, as much as Dre spoiled us with great shooting early in the season, even great shooters like him miss sometimes. Let's cut the guy some slack -- besides most of his shots are right on line and just missing by a bit.

Glad to see Curry step up, and he certainly earned the time he got last night. I expect that both Curry and Dawkins will step up for us down the stretch, and we will need them both to do so with or without Kyrie. Thank goodness we have so many great options...Kyle, Nolan, and Kyrie can't do it all, and they are not going to be "on" every game. I imagine Dre, Seth, the Plums, and Kelly would be primary scoring options on many ACC teams. They are sacrificing their own stat lines for the good of the team. Let's not lose sight of this and the larger picture in our haste to jump on what we perceive as a disappointing performance or two.

I don't see this as criticism of Andre no more than people saying Mason should make more free throws. The truth is Andre has had some bad games lately. From what I see it's lack of confidence and bad defense. Yes and I have been watching him not cheering his teammates on at times(see oldnavy's post). If Andre had been playing better defense and wasn't hitting his shots, Coach K probably wouldn't have cut his minutes. But he wasn't playing good defense and that will not get him minutes under Coach K. But as you say, I expect Andre and Seth will become consistent and play very well down the stretch. Go Duke!

Orange&BlackSheep
01-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I find this amusing. You've been silent over the past several weeks on this matter, given that Curry had indeed not been the key factor. In fact, until last night, it was looking like Curry might have been overtaken by both Dawkins AND Thornton.

You had even started taking credit for Dawkins as part of your "small lineup" argument when it looked like Dawkins was emerging and Curry was not going to be the key guy.

He's also substantially shorter, slighter, and has less of a vertical. And he's not that much better a ballhandler.

In short, both players are streaky, and both rely heavily on their 3pt shot. A few weeks ago, it looked like Dawkins was an emerging star and everyone was questioning Curry. Prior to last night, people were questioning both players. Today, Curry is back in favor. I'd wait a few more weeks before patting yourself on the back on this one.

I agree substantially with your post other than your comment on their respective ball handling. Curry really is light years ahead from what I have seen.

BD80
01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
... Thus, IMO, if Duke wants to be as close to being a threat to win it all, without Kyrie, Seth has to run the point. ...

No, no, a thousand times no.

Seth will NOT be a primary ballhandler very much this year, if at all. Tyler will come in to handle if Nolan is on the bench, or Singler will be the primary handler. As long as Nolan is in, he will be the primary handler.

Maybe Seth's point guard skills will improve during his Duke career, but his ability to run the point will have NO impact on our success this year.

Bringing in Tyler and Quinn is a good clue that Seth is not projected as a lead guard for Duke. I think he will be a very important player at Duke, he can thrive in our system.

FWIW I think this issue will be moot in 3-4 weeks ;)

weezie
01-28-2011, 08:58 PM

My Detroit pal, you're making me laugh and you are right.

De-fense clap clap, de-fense clap clap.

The one and only trend at Duke, yo' these 30 years....

DukeDevilDeb
01-28-2011, 09:09 PM

You are absolutely correct. Players who transfer and sit out may practice and travel with the team. If you look at the Duke players run onto the floor after the Butler game last year, Seth was leading them!

SMO
01-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Why let facts get in the way of overanalyzing and criticizing Andre?

Newton_14
01-28-2011, 10:16 PM
No, no, a thousand times no.

Seth will NOT be a primary ballhandler very much this year, if at all. Tyler will come in to handle if Nolan is on the bench, or Singler will be the primary handler. As long as Nolan is in, he will be the primary handler.

Maybe Seth's point guard skills will improve during his Duke career, but his ability to run the point will have NO impact on our success this year.

Bringing in Tyler and Quinn is a good clue that Seth is not projected as a lead guard for Duke. I think he will be a very important player at Duke, he can thrive in our system.

Agree. Seth in no way "ran the point" last night. He brought the ball up the court a few times to allow Nolan to start the offensive set off the ball, but that is not running the point. That is giving Nolan a little help with ball handling responsibilities. Nolan is our PG and has been since Kyrie went down. He will continue to run the point until we get Kyrie back.

Nolan has performed well in the role. He is leading the conference in assists and scoring afterall. His one key weakness at the point is creating easy shots for the bigs, mainly because he drives to finish vs driving to dish. Yet he is still getting enough assists to lead the league. Outside of that weakness he is doing a great job as the point guard and primary ball handler.

77devil
01-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Agree. Seth in no way "ran the point" last night. He brought the ball up the court a few times to allow Nolan to start the offensive set off the ball, but that is not running the point. That is giving Nolan a little help with ball handling responsibilities. Nolan is our PG and has been since Kyrie went down. He will continue to run the point until we get Kyrie back.

Nolan has performed well in the role. He is leading the conference in assists and scoring afterall. His one key weakness at the point is creating easy shots for the bigs, mainly because he drives to finish vs driving to dish. Yet he is still getting enough assists to lead the league. Outside of that weakness he is doing a great job as the point guard and primary ball handler.

The issue of Seth at the point appears to have been pretty thoroughly dissected. I simply would add that if Seth was the best option, I'm confident that the coaching staff would have come to that conclusion already.

CDu
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
The issue of Seth at the point appears to have been pretty thoroughly dissected. I simply would add that if Seth was the best option, I'm confident that the coaching staff would have come to that conclusion already.

I agree with the premise that Curry is not our best option at PG. But I don't know that I agree with this logic. Remember - it took until very late in the 2008-2009 season for the staff to move Scheyer to PG. Sometimes it takes time to identify the best move for the team.

In this case though, I agree that Curry isn't the answer. He's already been given some chances to run with the responsibilities as the backup PG, and didn't run with it. He's clearly more comfortable off the ball in a catch-and-shoot role. Smith is clearly more comfortable running the offense than Curry.

Troublemaker
01-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Seth was NOT the point guard at Liberty. Jesse Sanders was the point and has been for the past 3 years (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41549 )

And I agree with others that, when Seth or Tyler has been in the backcourt with Nolan, it has still been Nolan running the team about 90% of the time. As it should be since Nolan is by far the best creator on the team as it currently stands.

Seth and Tyler's true value, and where they may have an advantage over Andre for playing time, is that they can guard the ball on offense. It's tough to ask Nolan to lead the team for 40 minutes, run the offense for 40 minutes, AND guard the ball for 40 minutes. He needs some occasional breaks from guarding the ball and that's where Seth and Tyler come in. (As a co-captain, Nolan can't take a break from leading. And as the only creator on the team, he can't take a break from running the offense. His only chance to relax a bit is on defense occasionally).

Troublemaker
01-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Andre's minutes are suffering a bit recently due to three reasons:
(1) He hasn't been shooting well
(2) He can't give Nolan a rest on defense by guarding the ball like Curry and Thornton can, so when he's not hitting his shots, Andre ranks third behind the other two as options to pair with Nolan in the backcourt
(3) Finally, Kelly's recent emergence means Singler spends more time at the 3 so the opportunities that Andre usually receives at THAT spot have also dwindled.

Nevertheless, Andre can still get plenty of minutes in any one game if
(1) He's hitting his shots. If a player is hot, he'll be kept on the court.
(2) The matchup with the opponent dictates that Singler spends more time at the 4. Then, all of a sudden minutes at the 3 open up and Andre steps in.

So, he might play 10 minutes one game, then all of a sudden play 30 minutes the next game if he's hot or the matchups make sense. Such is the life of a bench player.

And it's no cause for concern.

Cameron
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
You are absolutely correct. Players who transfer and sit out may practice and travel with the team.

This is half correct. NCAA transfers who are required to sit out a year are not permitted to travel with their team. But they are allowed to practice, and, like Dahntay Jones in 2000-01, there is no doubt that Seth's presence as a competitive and skillful player in practice everyday helped prepare Jon, Nolan, Andre and the rest of our guards last season.

77devil
01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree with the premise that Curry is not our best option at PG. But I don't know that I agree with this logic. Remember - it took until very late in the 2008-2009 season for the staff to move Scheyer to PG. Sometimes it takes time to identify the best move for the team.

In this case though, I agree that Curry isn't the answer. He's already been given some chances to run with the responsibilities as the backup PG, and didn't run with it. He's clearly more comfortable off the ball in a catch-and-shoot role. Smith is clearly more comfortable running the offense than Curry.

Fair point, but I don't think the situations are comparable. When it became clear that Paulus could not run the point effectively with the 08-09 team, and subsequently a young Nolan struggled too, the staff was forced to experiment. With a senior Nolan leading the ACC in scoring and assists and protecting the ball, there's no need for a retrofit or a reason to experiment, and it's hard to imagine that the coaches do not see clearly that Seth is not a viable option.

CDu
01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Fair point, but I don't think the situations are comparable. When it became clear that Paulus could not run the point effectively with the 08-09 team, and subsequently a young Nolan struggled too, the staff was forced to experiment. With a senior Nolan leading the ACC in scoring and assists and protecting the ball, there's no need for a retrofit or a reason to experiment, and I'm sure the coaches see that clearly.

I agree that the situations are not similar. That wasn't the intention of my post. My point was that sometimes it takes the staff a while to figure out the best lineup, so saying that because the staff hasn't gone with it doesn't necessitate that it's not a good idea.

Of course, I agree that it's not a good idea. But that's a separate issue.

dukelilsis
01-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I kind of expected Andre to be a bit down during the week or so headed into tomorrow's game. I know the date is different, but his sister died on the day of the St. John's game last season. For most people, myself included, it is not unusual for dates, occurances, songs, etc... to trigger emotional memories. I'm sure there is much more to the story but I am just as sure that this is probably weighing on his mind as well.
With that said, Andre seems like a great kid and is obviously a very good athlete and I can't wait to see him drain his next three!

Chris Randolph
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Andre continues to disappoint. At times he looks as if he is uninterested and pouting. I was hoping he would really blossom this season and be a force in March. Coach K ripped him during the final timeout with one minute to go. Seth's success and a lack of playing time I am sure are contributing to his, in my opinion, sometimes poor attitude. Hey, if you want to play more and feel better about yourself, get it done when you have the chance...... Thornton sure does

Bob Green
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Andre continues to disappoint.

I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by ripping on Dawkins. He knows he is struggling and I'm sure no one wants him to snap out of the funk more than himself. I look at the situation and remember the struggles Nolan Smith experienced down the stretch his sophomore year. Nolan turned out fine and Andre will too.

mapei
02-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Andre is definitely in a funk and it appears that, for whatever reason, K has lost confidence in him. So it could be a mutually reinforcing thing, he isn't earning K's trust, which affects his confidence and his game, which affects K's confidence in him . . .

I just hope he remains committed to Duke, because I think he has tremendous potential. But sometimes Duke isn't the place where someone can blossom. I hope it is, in this case.

cptnflash
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by ripping on Dawkins. He knows he is struggling and I'm sure no one wants him to snap out of the funk more than himself. I look at the situation and remember the struggles Nolan Smith experienced down the stretch his sophomore year. Nolan turned out fine and Andre will too.

I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by challenging someone's honest opinion in this way. Nolan's struggles during his sophomore year were never about effort. Andre has looked increasingly discouraged and disinterested as this year has progressed. If he wants to snap out of his funk as you say, he needs to work harder to get open on offense and stop hanging his head every time something doesn't go his way. Coach K runs a meritocracy. If Andre's minutes are diminished and he's getting chewed out with one minute to go in a 20+ point win, something is wrong with the way he's playing. On a board like this, it should be ok for people to say that.

I've said all this before, but I'll say it again. I love that kid. I firmly believe we don't win the Baylor game last year without his 3 near the end of the first half. If we're going to get back to the final four this year, we need him to be as good as he can be. During the last month, he has not played anywhere close to his potential. I'm fairly confident he's getting the right instruction. It's up to him to determine whether he wants to do what it will take to get there.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Andre is an important contributor and will be fine.

verga
02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Andre seem to me to be at the point where he is just going through the motions. He got reamed in that last time out and he deserved it, he threw a lazy cross court pass that Seth had no chance of getting to. He only made it worse when he gently loped down the court and made no attempt to block the shot. As of right now he's not out of the rotation but one or two more games with this type production and he will be. We will miss his shooting but Tyler brings everything to the the game that Andre doesn't and K knows that.

Bob Green
02-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by challenging someone's honest opinion in this way.

I'm attempting to support our player. However, I agree with you we are all entitled to our own opinion.

RoyalBlue08
02-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I sure hope Andre can bounce back from the funk he is in. He seems like a great kid, but I do agree he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. He really didn't seem to be giving much effort tonight. This would be a great chance for Nolan to become a mentor and use his experiences to help reinforce the idea that through time and hard work Andre could really take his game to the next level. However I predict he is really going to have to work hard to earn minutes given the redundancy we current have at his position and his lack of effort and interest he showed in tonight's game.

Newton_14
02-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Young players often go through highs and lows, and Andre is no different. It could be a thousand different things going on, or off the court, could be confidence, could be maturity. Whatever it is, I agree with Bob that Andre will work through it and bounce back. Too much talent there for it not too.

He played really well out of the gate this year, then seemed to hit a wall in the first game with NC State. He has been up and down since then. I think at least part of it is maturity and needing to work harder off the court and on. Someone mentioned Nolan's sophomore year, and this is similar. Nolan decided to "go to work" and it paid huge dividends. I suspect it will be that way for Andre. It may take a Nolan or a Kyrie guiding him through the process.

Meanwhile, we should pull hard for Andre and give him time to figure it out.

diveonthefloor
02-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Andre seem to me to be at the point where he is just going through the motions. He got reamed in that last time out and he deserved it, he threw a lazy cross court pass that Seth had no chance of getting to. He only made it worse when he gently loped down the court and made no attempt to block the shot. As of right now he's not out of the rotation but one or two more games with this type production and he will be. We will miss his shooting but Tyler brings everything to the the game that Andre doesn't and K knows that.

Unfortunately, you're right. And it may get worse for him next year with Cook, Rivers, Seth, Tyler, and possibly Kyrie. If he doesn't work his butt off, he will find himself with almost no burn. He can turn it around, but it will require total dedication.

taiw93
02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Andre is experiencing a problem that many good shooters experience. His problem is that when he isn't getting or making shots, he becomes frustrated, and lets it affect his entire game. Seth had a similar issue at the beginning of this season, but he has learned to compensate for shooting slumps by focusing more on ball-handling and passing on offense, and looking to pick up steals and stops on D. Excelling in these other areas has increased Seth's confidence, which in turn, has helped him become a more consistent shooter. This is what Andre needs to learn to do in order to become a more consistent player. If he does this, IMO, he has a chance to be a superstar.

terrih
02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I really love Andre and want to see him do so well, just like everyone else. It was hard to watch him tonight get some very "enthusiastic" coaching after that unfortunate pass (it was pretty clear it wasn't a good effort). As someone said above, I too hope that Nolan or Kyle can work with him in a mentor type of way to help him. I thought it was interesting in an interview that Seth gave (I think maybe it was after the UNC game but could be totally wrong) that Seth had talked to his brother and Steph had told him he needed to move more without the ball. I thought, yes, exactly, I hope that Andre heard that too. It seems like that advice could really help Andre as well on the offensive side of the ball.

I have faith in Andre and will continue to cheer hard for him and hope that his teammates will encourage him. He seems like such a great guy and has a great smile when he is enjoying himself on the court. I want to see that again soon.

CharlestonDevil
02-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Young players often go through highs and lows, and Andre is no different. It could be a thousand different things going on, or off the court, could be confidence, could be maturity. Whatever it is, I agree with Bob that Andre will work through it and bounce back. Too much talent there for it not too.

It may take a Nolan or a Kyrie guiding him through the process. Meanwhile, we should pull hard for Andre and give him time to figure it out.

Part of it is certainly maturity. It also may take the leadership or example of an upperclassman like Nolan to show him the way.

But personally I think Dre needs to look no further than the example set by Seth Curry. In the first half of the season I saw them as similar players in that neither one could find a way to create their own shot or be consistent. Seth however has played excellent defense all along, and after taking the advice of his older brother to "work harder off the ball to get your own shot" he has finally found his stride and established a stable place in the rotation.

It could be that Andre is frustrated by Seth's success (they compete at times for minutes at the same position), but he needs to follow Seth's example. Start with playing hard on D every play, work hard off the ball when on offense, and eventually your shots will fall.

Whatever it is I know that Dre will bounce back. Not because he has the talent, a lot players have that and never go anywahere, but because he is a Duke Kid and has great character. That will always come through.

dukestheheat
02-20-2011, 11:11 PM
He's suffered a dip in his confidence, owing primarily to some cold shooting, which has in turn led him to bring less than 100% effort and focus on every possession and at both ends of the floor. He has allowed a few bad calls and other moments of frustration to affect his demeanor way too much.
This, as we know, is the easiest route to Coach K's (temporary) doghouse. Long-term, he will be fine, but for now, he's (probably rightfully) sitting and thinking a little bit, while watching others (namely, Seth Curry) parlay solid practice and continuous resolve into starter's minutes and strong contributions to the team.

We all go through the fire and like that current Chrysler commercial says 'it's the hottest fire that forges the hardest steel.' Just think! of what Kyle has been through several times this season, with the shooting slumps all seeming to culminate in his scoring 2 points last game...and then Nate James losing his starting spot as a SENIOR......Andre, like many guys before him, has got to fight through his struggle and persist.

I think we can all learn a lot about life in general by watching the ways that our guys, over the years, have handled adversity, disappointment and failure. And, in watching that, it sort of gives perspective, some balance, and respect for struggle and trial as not a coffin but a coffee-maker.

dth.

Aditya
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed to me that most of his struggles started after his playing time was cut apart. He was shooting over 50% behind the arc for a solid chunk of the season. Maybe, from his perspective, having his PT cut despite that was disheartening.

Class of '94
02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed to me that most of his struggles started after his playing time was cut apart. He was shooting over 50% behind the arc for a solid chunk of the season. Maybe, from his perspective, having his PT cut despite that was disheartening.

I think one could argue that he had his playing time cut because his effectiveness as a shooter and scorer decreased and not vice-versa. IMO, Andre's defense has declined and I think that is a direct result of his frustration in his play. I've also notice too that he tends to drop his head and appear frustrated when he didn't get the ball; and then he forces things when he does get it. I also think that he's still learning to develop counter moves when players guard him close in an effort to prevent him from shooting 3's. Maybe he could benefit from playing more minutes but right now, I don't think his effort and defense warrants extended minutes. Saying that, I, too, am pulling for him to get out of his current funk because he's too talented and too important to the team to stay in this funk.

-jk
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Deja vu. Didn't we have this discussion about Mason last month? This is college ball. Players grow, develop, have setbacks. It's part of the game.

Andre has had a tough couple years. Let's give him the space to find his game without picking it apart.

-jk

taiw93
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
It is definitely an interesting debate as to whether Andre would is playing poorly because he plays too little or vie versa. However, I have faith in K's philosophy that you have to earn every minute of playing time you get. Why? Because it builds the character that Coach K wants out of his players. Duke players are known for working their hardest when the going gets tough, and that's what has made us such a successful program during K's tenure. And besides, if Andre aspires to play in the NBA, he'd better get used to the "earning your PT" school of thought; VERY few young players are talented enough to just be handed playing time on an NBA team.

Class of '94
02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Deja vu. Didn't we have this discussion about Mason last month? This is college ball. Players grow, develop, have setbacks. It's part of the game.

Andre has had a tough couple years. Let's give him the space to find his game without picking it apart.

-jk

Yep, you're right jk. I just hope that like Mason, he continues to fight through this valley that he's in. I hate to bring up the word "transfer" in this discussion but I hope he falls into the same mold as Nolan, Zoubs, and others who chose to stick it out and perservere through their struggles; and get better because of it as opposed to falling into the mold of some of the players who chose to transfer.

Zerogee
02-21-2011, 02:55 AM
If you really hated it, you wouldn't have done it.

I noticed on another thread everyone jumped down a new poster's throat when he brought up the idea of transfers. Why is there such sensitivity about it?

I'm not saying that we should all fear the sky falling because a star player's PT drops.
But a) we're all adults here
b) we're all Duke fans (except for the occasional Kong or what have you), and
c) this is a DISCUSSION board.

One of the reasons I read DBR instead of other Duke fan boards is that the discussion stays at a high, respectful, level. Mentioning that we have a crowded position and DISCUSSING whether that could affect _star recruits at that position deciding to attend Duke_ (such as Shabazz) or _players with great potential who might suffer further PT reductions contemplating transfers_ doesn't need to be off-limits.

UNC is a great program - god, I hate them! - but they're still a great program. Larry Drew gave very little inkling that he was going to transfer in the middle of the season, but that doesn't mean that a month ago on a UNC-version of DBR (which doesn't exist - don't get me started on IC), hypothesizing about the ramifications of Marshall taking his starting role should be illegal.

Can't we all just get along?

oldnavy
02-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I was at the game against St. Louis when Andre basically behaved like a spoiled rec league kid when he was being "coached" on the sideline for missing what appeared to a defensive assignment. He argued with K first, then James while on the bench. It appeared that he felt he needed to be right in a situation where, most of us seasoned folks know, you just shut up, listen and process what your boss or superior is saying and if you need to state your case you do so at a later less passionate time.... but he is young and has to learn.

However, since that I have noticed (albeit from a distance) a disappointing demeanor in Andre. He seems deflated and accepting of his diminished role, which is the surest way to even less PT.

I hope that at some point he snaps out of it and realizes that he alone controls his attitude, and that his attitude is the key to his success both on and off the court.

I really like the kid, but I must say that I am troubled from afar by what I have seen in his body language, especially with the lack of intensity and effort in the final minute of last nights game.

The kid has been through a lot, and I am really, really pulling for him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
I noticed on another thread everyone jumped down a new poster's throat when he brought up the idea of transfers.

Having spents LOTS of time here for the past ten years or so (lurked for a good while) I think I can explain this to you. Transfers are definitely a tender topic at ANY school, Duke included. Players transfers for so many different reasons (look at the situations of a Taylor King or a Larry Drew compared to Elliot Williams).

Transfer speculation is as spurious as recruiting speculation - only much less likely to be well informed. Recruiting threads go for thousands of posts and frequently lack and real substance until a player is signing (or Skyping) on the dotted line.

Long time loyal Duke fans care a lot about the well-being of all the Duke players. I think you would have a very hard time finding any fan on this board who carries ill will towards Elliot Williams. Andre is a special kid who has obviously had some unique circumstances in his first two years at Duke. He's got scads of talent and is extremely likable.

You also specified "new poster." Naturally, when an unknown comes to our board and starts stirring the pot, the veterans might circle the wagon and send out a troll posse.

My hope would be that the only transfer discussion on this board over the next several months is is some good-natured poking fun at our friends down the road.

lotusland
02-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, you're right. And it may get worse for him next year with Cook, Rivers, Seth, Tyler, and possibly Kyrie. If he doesn't work his butt off, he will find himself with almost no burn. He can turn it around, but it will require total dedication.

This will be a good topic for the off-season but I think Andre will be competing for minutes primarily at 3 next year with Kyle gone. In that case he will most likely compete for playing time with MG, AR and maybe Alex Murphy if he comes early. Freshmen tend to struggle initially to learn Duke's defense so Andre's experience could set him apart if he chooses to become a leader as an upperclassman. I always love seniors the best who have struggled to improve, as Nolan has, so I really hope to watch Dre become a leader who has been through the fire over the next couple years.

Dr. Tina
02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I was at the game against St. Louis when Andre basically behaved like a spoiled rec league kid when he was being "coached" on the sideline for missing what appeared to a defensive assignment. He argued with K first, then James while on the bench. It appeared that he felt he needed to be right in a situation where, most of us seasoned folks know, you just shut up, listen and process what your boss or superior is saying and if you need to state your case you do so at a later less passionate time.... but he is young and has to learn.

However, since that I have noticed (albeit from a distance) a disappointing demeanor in Andre. He seems deflated and accepting of his diminished role, which is the surest way to even less PT.

I hope that at some point he snaps out of it and realizes that he alone controls his attitude, and that his attitude is the key to his success both on and off the court.

I really like the kid, but I must say that I am troubled from afar by what I have seen in his body language, especially with the lack of intensity and effort in the final minute of last nights game.

The kid has been through a lot, and I am really, really pulling for him.

I was at the St. Louis game, too, though in the opposite corner, so I didn't see how Andre was reacting to Coach K. I completely agree with what you and others have said about his demeanor and posture during games. He looks very frustrated (putting his head down, shrugging his shoulders holding his hands up, trotting around the baseline instead of hustling) when he's open and doesn't get the ball, which I can understand to some extent. He had some open looks in one of the games, called for the ball, and he didn't get anywhere. When he does get the ball, he is trying to "get his" more than letting it come to him within the flow of the game. He's taken some poor shots for those reasons. Also, his defense hasn't been as crisp as TT's. His pass last night was very poor. I have no idea what he was thinking. I saw K reaming out in the time-out, and I think it was rightly deserved.

I can't help but wonder if Andre needs some more one-on-one mentoring to help him work himself out of this funk. We've heard how Curry has taken the observations and advice from Stephen (and the coaches) to help improve his game. Nolan has been very active in mentoring Kyrie (who sometimes seems to mentor Nolan), Tyler, and Josh off the court. I wonder if that would help.

I really want to see him work through this and get better. He was playing so well at the beginning of the season. I'm rooting for him, too!

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Andre is one of my favorite players on the Duke team. I think his confidence is a little shaken but I think he will have a break-out game soon. However, I have noticed that sometimes he is wide open and calling for the ball and when an attempt isn't made to get him the ball, his body language says, "oh well". Let's remember that during the pre-season Coach K said Andre was one of the most improved players on the team and praised him for working on his defense. I am sincerely pulling for Andre to get back on track.

ncexnyc
02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
This thread has been going on for 3 weeks now. I’d like to believe that we’re all supportive of our kids, but being supportive and showing blind allegiance is a whole different matter.

Andre’s play hasn’t improved since this thread has started, in fact I believe it’s gotten worse. He gets lost on defense and he seems to be pressing on offense, which has effected his shooting.

As others have observed his problem’s seem more mental than anything else. The comparisons to Nolan aren’t close to being valid, as Nolan was asked to learn a new position as a sophomore. One which required him to be responsible for the whole offense. Andre is being asked to play his normal role, that shouldn’t be to difficult.

This is something that only Andre can solve. He needs to do a lot of soul searching and make-up his mind if he wants to be part of the program or not. If he decides to stick with it, then he has to put his nose to the grindstone and buy into what the staff has been preaching to him.

Class of '94
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I didn't get a chance to read Kedsy's response to what appeared to be my email because it looked like the mods removed it. As Zerogee pointed out, I brought up "transfer" for discussion in terms of hoping that he follows in Nolan's footprints and not to stir any pot.

I am really rooting for Andre to be successful at Duke, especially when you consider the fact that he grew up a Duke fan, his willingness and desire to come to Duke a year early to help the team, and the tragedy he experienced last season. I think Nolan taking him under his wing would be very beneficial since Nolan experienced a similar situation. In addition, I'm wondering if Coach K made a tape/file/DVD for Andre that shows his negative demeanor/mannerisms during games, it might have a similar positive effect on Andre as it did for Bobby Hurley when K made a tape for him that showed his negative mannerisms. It seemed to open Bobby's eyes and his on-court demenanor improved dramatically after he saw that tape of himself and how he acted.

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I didn't get a chance to read Kedsy's response to what appeared to be my email because it looked like the mods removed it. As Zerogee pointed out, I brought up "transfer" for discussion in terms of hoping that he follows in Nolan's footprints and not to stir any pot.

I am really rooting for Andre to be successful at Duke, especially when you consider the fact that he grew up a Duke fan, his willingness and desire to come to Duke a year early to help the team, and the tragedy he experienced last season. I think Nolan taking him under his wing would be very beneficial since Nolan experienced a similar situation. In addition, I'm wondering if Coach K made a tape/file/DVD for Andre that shows his negative demeanor/mannerisms during games, it might have a similar positive effect on Andre as it did for Bobby Hurley when K made a tape for him that showed his negative mannerisms. It seemed to open Bobby's eyes and his on-court demenanor improved dramatically after he saw that tape of himself and how he acted.

Well said...totally agree with your summation.

wilko
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Coming into this yr Andre seemingly worked very hard to improve and seemed ready to embrace his role. I support him for that.

Well, I dare say that the things he worked to improve on were based on the assumption that he could feed off Kyrie distributing the ball.

He and Seth were roughly equivalent players earlier this season in terms of being secondary spot up shooters behind the big 3. Then as we all know, Kyrie had some bad luck and Duke has had to improvise and reinvent itself a bit ever since.

Nolan has had to assume more. Others have had to refine/redefine what they do. Kelly has made himself a contributor. Andre is not alone in this. To Seth's credit, his defense and ball handing is whats getting him playing time right now.

Sure, Seth gets burned on a switch every now and then. He doesn't grab too many rebounds.. BUT he does manage steals, hurries the person he's defending and generates offense outside of the half-court set, which Duke desperately needs since Kyle is in a bit of funk as well.

Nolan cant do it all every trip down the court. Any "O" Nolan doesn't have to finish or initiate is GRAVY... and for the moment, Seth is providing some relief. So kudos to him!

I understand Andre not being happy with his contribution, but to date Seth has responded better to the opportunity. If Andre wants a role model for growing as a player he only has to look for #2.

Nolan from a Soph. to the dominating player he is today? I wouldn't have imagined it possible 3 yrs ago. Nolan had gotten a BUNCH of Flack for not being able to fill the role of PG then, hence the insertion of JS into that role LAST yr. Now Nolan is the primary scoring option and lead distributor... and we are currently ranked #1. (whatever that's worth) Folks are looking for a possible encore from Kyrie, but no one is openly criticizing Nolan for the job he is doing like they once were. Andre and the rest of the team, (Hairston, Miles, Kelly I'm talking to you) can learn a lot from his example and leadership by continuing to work and improve.

I'm not down on Andre at all. I think he can and will improve.
But now we need a guy who can initiate their own "O" and generate turnovers.

In a few games it might be Andres turn in the spotlight and he has to be ready to capitalize and make the most of it. I am hopeful for him.

DUKIE V(A)
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
As a huge fan (and adamant defender on this thread) of Andre's, I must admit that I was extremely surprised and disappointed by what seemed to be his lack of full effort during "garbage time" last night. It wasn't just the ill-advised, half-hearted pass...it was the lack of full effort on at least two defensive rebounds, lack of movement on the offensive end, or even his willingness to throw the ball in after the basket which resulted from his poor pass. Andre's lack of enthusiasm on the court was particularly apparent in contrast to the hustle displayed by Josh in those last few minutes. Andre is way better than this end-of-game performance, and it was very upsetting to watch.

I understand Andre's frustration about his shooting slump and that there seems to be times he has been wide open and missed by teammates, but that is part of basketball and I hope he can move forward and to do whatever is necessary to help the team win. He certainly has contributed to the team's success this and last season.

As an admittedly distant observer, it seems that Andre is more and more playing as if all he sees himself as is a long-range shooter on the offensive end. Perhaps it is the design of the offense but it seems as though Andre is doing a lot of standing around. When he gets the ball and is not open, he is quick to get rid of it (in a "defensive" way as opposed to penetrating or displaying crisp, effective ball movement such as his beautiful assist to Miles in the St. John's game). I see Andre as a great shooter that has a lot of upside as a passer and in his mid-range game and taking the ball to the hoop (in part because of his outstanding shooting ability).

I sincerely hope Andre gets out of his funk soon. I fear that his playing time opportunities are going to be increasingly limited down the stretch if he does not play with more fire. I am worried that last night's end of game effort may land him on the pine for the entirety of future games. I hope the coaching staff gives him another opportunity to show his stuff and that he plays with the ferocity that we all know he is capable of. Let's go Andre!!

Greg_Newton
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
My attitude towards Andre is pretty different than about any Duke player I can remember. I'll readily admit that I'm a "selfish" fan - I care about individual players, but not as much as I care about Duke. For example, I want Kyrie back next year even if it's not "what's best for him"; if it means he only makes $180M over the course of his career instead of $185M, I could really care less.*

But when it comes to Andre, I can honestly say that I just want whatever is best for him. Here's a kind who basically saved our season last year by coming a year early - and at the last second, basically - which resulting in us winning a title, for one thing. But perhaps more importantly, in a very indirect, not-his-fault-whatsoever kind of way, his sacrifice resulted in an unimaginably tragic consequence for him and his family. So, in a way, I see him as having sacrificed infinitely more for Duke than I would ever expect of anyone.

I'm not one to tell anyone what to think/post about - and am not trying to call anyone out or anything - but I kind of wish we wouldn't speculate so much when Andre isn't playing well. I know it's in good faith, but lord only knows what he's gone through and continues to go through, and how that affects him on a daily basis. I want him to succeed as much as anyone else, but I don't get frustrated when he doesn't. He's earned a lifetime pass in my book, and I just hope he figures things out.

Plus, we're so loaded at wing for the foreseeable future that it's not like the team really suffers if he's not playing well. The emergence of Mason over the last few games has contributed much, more more to the team's overall level of play than Andre's slump.

*not that I'd hold it against him if he left, though.

anon
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Sad to say I witnessed more of this last night when he was pulled from the game after allowing an easy lay-up. Nate said something to Andre, and Andre seemed to give a "what did you want me to do?" gesture. K noticed, got up, and ripped into him, all in about half a second, and then turned back to the game.

MCFinARL
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
My attitude towards Andre is pretty different than about any Duke player I can remember. I'll readily admit that I'm a "selfish" fan - I care about individual players, but not as much as I care about Duke. For example, I want Kyrie back next year even if it's not "what's best for him"; if it means he only makes $180M over the course of his career instead of $185M, I could really care less.*

But when it comes to Andre, I can honestly say that I just want whatever is best for him. Here's a kind who basically saved our season last year by coming a year early - and at the last second, basically - which resulting in us winning a title, for one thing. But perhaps more importantly, in a very indirect, not-his-fault-whatsoever kind of way, his sacrifice resulted in an unimaginably tragic consequence for him and his family. So, in a way, I see him as having sacrificed infinitely more for Duke than I would ever expect of anyone.

I'm not one to tell anyone what to think/post about - and am not trying to call anyone out or anything - but I kind of wish we wouldn't speculate so much when Andre isn't playing well. I know it's in good faith, but lord only knows what he's gone through and continues to go through, and how that affects him on a daily basis. I want him to succeed as much as anyone else, but I don't get frustrated when he doesn't. He's earned a lifetime pass in my book, and I just hope he figures things out.

Plus, we're so loaded at wing for the foreseeable future that it's not like the team really suffers if he's not playing well. The emergence of Mason over the last few games has contributed much, more more to the team's overall level of play than Andre's slump.

I agree with you completely about giving Andre a pass--but maybe for that very reason, I do get frustrated for him (not with him), not because the team needs him so much as because I want so badly for him to succeed. Others on this thread have expressed hope that perhaps Nolan could mentor Andre a bit. It seemed (from way, way outside--I have no personal knowledge here) that Nolan did take Andre under his wing quite a bit last year and last summer. I assume he is still doing so, but he has a whole new freshman class to mentor as well--not to mention running the offense, being our leading scorer, and trying to complete the requirements for his degree. So he has a lot on his plate. But I hope there is someone on the coaching staff who is working with Andre on managing the psychological and emotional side of the game if that is what he needs, because I think he has earned that kind of help and support.

BlueDevil2022
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I understand Andre's frustration about his shooting slump and that there seems to be times he has been wide open and missed by teammates, but that is part of basketball and I hope he can move forward and to do whatever is necessary to help the team win. He certainly has contributed to the team's success this and last season.

I agree 100%. While watching games there are several times when he seems to be wide open for a shot and his teammates miss him. I have personally felt Seth is the only one looking for him the past several games. So it would be frustrating. But as you said that is part of basketball. I personally wonder, from the distant outside, if Andre has any confidence at all. He played really well early in the season and about the first of the year Coach K said he was their most consistant player outside of Nolan and Kyle. And then his PT is cut shortly after that. I too would be frustrated and and most definately lack confidence.

I agree with several who on here have stated that Andre seemed to be "just going through the motions" last night. Did anyone else see Tyler try to console Andre after his butt-chewing in the last timeout? Andre looked like he was emotionally empty. Just not sure what to think/do at that point. Coach K does not have almost 900 wins without reason, so I trust that if anyone can help Andre it is Coach K. Here is to Andre getting his beautiful shot to fall and to him keeping his chin up!!!!!!

mapei
02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Here's a kind who basically saved our season last year by coming a year early - and at the last second, basically - which resulting in us winning a title, for one thing. But perhaps more importantly, in a very indirect, not-his-fault-whatsoever kind of way, his sacrifice resulted in an unimaginably tragic consequence for him and his family. So, in a way, I see him as having sacrificed infinitely more for Duke than I would ever expect of anyone . . .

I know it's in good faith, but lord only knows what he's gone through and continues to go through, and how that affects him on a daily basis. I want him to succeed as much as anyone else, but I don't get frustrated when he doesn't. He's earned a lifetime pass in my book, and I just hope he figures things out.[/SIZE]

Exactly. I have been very close to a very similar situation, except the survivors were a generation older. Nothing has been the same since, 5 years later. It's not something you "snap out" of. You figure out a way to go on, gradually. Add the pressure of being at Duke basketball, and being 19 or 20, and it has to be incredibly difficult. As a Duke fan, I hope that basketball becomes his way out, but I certainly understand if it isn't.

LA_Bluedevil
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I read that Dawkins spent most of his time in HS playing in the post, which would explain why his ball handling is not where it needs to be for a guard at the D-1 level. Kind of reminds me of G.Henderson, who mostly played down low in HS too, and like Dre ultra-athletic (even more so than Dre); the difference is while G could slash and finish Dre hasn't yet developed that part of his game yet though he is a far better shooter. IMO Dre should work on 2-3 dribble to shot moves and then build from there (also something GH said he worked hard on in College).

Defensively it seems he has to lead the team (if not the league) in fouling people who go on to make a jump shot or a 3. He's athletic enough to be better, but maybe it's just his technique and anticipation in dealing with screeners, but at the end of the day I'm not worried about his shot because I'm confident that he'll be good to go come Tourney time.

Dr. Tina
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
From Seth Davis' Hoop Thoughts this week:

• It's great for Duke that Seth Curry has emerged as a dependable third scorer (and backup point guard to Nolan Smith). Problem is, Curry's emergence seems to have come at the expense of sophomore guard Andre Dawkins. Dawkins was terrific during the first two months of the season, but he has reached double-figure scoring just once in his last 10 games. Duke beat Georgia Tech by 22 points Sunday night, yet Dawkins only played nine minutes and didn't score. At some point during the NCAA tournament, Duke is going to need some offensive pop off the bench when Smith or Curry gets into foul trouble. You have to wonder whether Dawkins will be confident enough by then to provide it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/02/21/hoop.thoughts/index.html#ixzz1Ef2F3Kgm

PaIronDuke
02-22-2011, 12:48 AM

I, for one, AM calling some of you out. We have a number one ranked team which is showing improvement game-by-game-especially in some crucial areas (Mason, Tyler, defense, etc.)- and we continue to rag on the self-evident details of Dre's situation. We all need to accept that there is little/nothing that we have observed about Dre that is not dramatically obvious to our nation's/best coaching staff- and not cloud the enjoyment of a great season to-date. Kyrie notwithstanding, this season has been all we could have expected. Let's lay off the penchant for extensive self analysis and let the chips fall where they may with a really good kid (accent on "kid"!)

In other words, regarding Andre, NEXT PLAY, for God's sake!

NSDukeFan
02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I, for one, AM calling some of you out. We have a number one ranked team which is showing improvement game-by-game-especially in some crucial areas (Mason, Tyler, defense, etc.)- and we continue to rag on the self-evident details of Dre's situation. We all need to accept that there is little/nothing that we have observed about Dre that is not dramatically obvious to our nation's/best coaching staff- and not cloud the enjoyment of a great season to-date. Kyrie notwithstanding, this season has been all we could have expected. Let's lay off the penchant for extensive self analysis and let the chips fall where they may with a really good kid (accent on "kid"!)

I don't see a problem with fans of the program wanting all the players in the program to play to their potential. Everyone knows Andre is a very talented player who helped the team greatly last year in its championship run despite being not a huge amount of playing time. I thought the post you quoted was excellent and explained a solid rationale for not being hard on Andre but hoping he can excel. I didn't see the problem, though I agree that this team has had a great season so far and has been all we could have expected. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the team would be 25-2 at this point, I would have been pleased, even if Kyrie had been healthy all year. It's been a great run so far and the next few weeks promise to be very exciting.

downtowndevil
02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
As a previous poster(s) had said, don't doubt this coaching staff.

Anyone notice 'Dre mc'ing the locker room interviews on dbp's "top 5" feature from last night?

Can't help but think this is a deliberate attempt by the staff to keep him engaged and not lose him at such a critical part of the season. Nice banter on display between him & Ryan. Very reassuring to see.

And props to him on a couple nice "Buckets!" too.

Nugget
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM

I don't see much "ragging" on Andre's situation on this thread.

I see a fan base that collectively is desperately wishing for the best for Andre, is saddened that he is currently struggling to reach his (enormous) potential, and hoping that he does not drift away from Duke.

DUKIE V(A)
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Andre hitting that last three from JJ distance was the cherry on top of a terrific team performance. I am so glad he made the most of his opportunity last night. More to come.

sporthenry
02-25-2011, 04:13 AM
It was nice to see 'Dre get involved some. Would love to see him get involved more but his inability to dribble hurts his offense. I think he will have a few big shots as the season wears on but I don't forsee him getting more than 10-15 minutes the rest of the way. Hopefully, he has another strong offseason b/c what he showed prior to conference play was very promising.
On another note, it is amazing how much IC is obsessed with 'Dre and people transferring. Just started to read their boards and I always seem to get caught up in them but I do enjoy seeing what the other side thinks, however, wrong and ignorant they are.

MChambers
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
On another note, it is amazing how much IC is obsessed with 'Dre and people transferring. Just started to read their boards and I always seem to get caught up in them but I do enjoy seeing what the other side thinks, however, wrong and ignorant they are.
we should respect what posters at IC say about transfers, because they have a lot of experience in this area! ;-)

Class of '94
02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Andre hitting that last three from JJ distance was the cherry on top of a terrific team performance. I am so glad he made the most of his opportunity last night. More to come.

It was great to see Andre come out with renewed energy and hit those 2 threes. It from watching the game on tv that he had good body language on the court and was engaged. I hope he continues to keep progressing because we're going to need him to win the ACC and a NC IMO.

David Bunkley
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
It seems to me like Andre's defense has sagged greatly since the first half of the season. The first few games, he was playing great on the ball defense, helping out in the post, even guarding a few bigger players when we would go small. Now it seems he is trying to play defense with his hands instead of his feet-hence the fouling of jump shooters. I think this (and his lack of ball handing ability) have lead to an increase in opportunities for Tyler. I don't think Seth's recent scoring and defense has as much to do with Andre's lack of PT as Thorton's defense/energy.

During the Temple game, Andre was the third or fourth Player off of the bench. A month or two ago he would have been 1st or 2nd, depending on whether we were subbing a big or a guard. Everybody know the best way to get to Coach K's heart is through solid defense and as people a lot smarter than I have said, "You may shoot bad for a few games, but defensive intensity should never take a game off."

AsiaMinor
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
It must be terribly difficult to go through whatever Andre is going through on such a public stage. Each of us has, and many of us voice, opinions. The journey from boy to manhood is a challenging one and not without stumbles. For most those occur in private or only among a small circle. The fire that burned in him still exists, it is up to him to find a way to fill whatever emptiness he is feeling with that heat. I'm sure he is getting support from other players, from coaches, friends and family. Regardless of how he may perform as a Duke basketball player in the future, I am thankful for what he has already contributed and hope with all my heart he rises to his full potential.

MChambers
02-25-2011, 11:31 AM
It must be terribly difficult to go through whatever Andre is going through on such a public stage. Each of us has, and many of us voice, opinions. The journey from boy to manhood is a challenging one and not without stumbles. For most those occur in private or only among a small circle. The fire that burned in him still exists, it is up to him to find a way to fill whatever emptiness he is feeling with that heat. I'm sure he is getting support from other players, from coaches, friends and family. Regardless of how he may perform as a Duke basketball player in the future, I am thankful for what he has already contributed and hope with all my heart he rises to his full potential.
Boy, do I agree with everything you wrote. POTW in my book. Lots of pitchforks.