PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Coach P

dukemomLA
06-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Personally, I am excited and thrilled with what Coach P is bringing to Duke (and the women's game). I sense a NC on the near horizon -- maybe even this year.

I think she's been stellar in her passion, her focus, her accessibility to the players, her reaching out to us fans, etc. etc.

Can't wait for the season to start. Both (our 1st love) the Men's Team -- and hopefully for all you Dukies, a new/renewed/extended appreciation of our great women players.

Thoughts anyone??

killerleft
06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm ready for the new season as well. Her enthusiasm is contagious. The players seem to be excited, too.

But don't be too surprised if there are some bumps in the road early. Unless we're lucky there will be a learning curve for both Coach P and her players. Thankfully, we've got some really good talent :o)

Go Duke!

DevilAlumna
06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Why is Joanne McCallie = Coach P?

I'm so confused....

Mike Corey
06-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Her middle initial is the letter "P" and for some reason she became known as "Coach P" rather than "Coach McCallie" in her previous positions.

Bob Green
06-22-2007, 01:04 AM
My theory is that the middle initial "P" represents her maiden name and she was known as Coach P before she married.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dukemomLA
06-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Coach P became known as that before her marriage, and she has kept that moniker. Good for her. I, for one, kept my maiden name for years (before my husband David Haskell died of a brain tumor --- damn those pesky tumors -- in 2000).

So...keep your personna -- and knickname!! Go Coach P!

SilkyJ
06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Personally, I am excited and thrilled with what Coach P is bringing to Duke (and the women's game). I sense a NC on the near horizon -- maybe even this year.

I think she's been stellar in her passion, her focus, her accessibility to the players, her reaching out to us fans, etc. etc.

Can't wait for the season to start. Both (our 1st love) the Men's Team -- and hopefully for all you Dukies, a new/renewed/extended appreciation of our great women players.

Thoughts anyone??

NC aspirations for THIS year are out of the question, IMO. We just lost two HUGE pieces in Harding and Bales, and while you can measure their losses in terms of stats, the intagibles they brought as seniors, especially harding are impossible to measure

Jim3k
06-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Her maiden name was 'Palambo' (which she played under at Northwestern). She married sometime in the early 90's. She began coaching as an assistant in 1988 at Auburn and, I think, became Coach P there.