PDA

View Full Version : Give Barnes a Little Credit

ClosetHurleyFan
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
While he might not have panned out yet as advertised, this is about the 3rd or 4th big time clutch shot he has hit for this team and.......

This is a pretty mature response to a tough question during postgame last night:

On Miami fans chanting 'overrated':
“That seems to be a usual thing I’m starting to hear... At the end of the day, we won the game. They’re entitled to say and chant whatever they want.”

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
This has to be a frustrating year for him, so far. Not the start he envisioned. But, having said that, the kid has talent and is making an adjustment to a much better level of competition than he faced on the non-AAU circuit.

The kid will be fine, and will be a very good player for Carolina before all is said and done. Just hopefully not at our expense.

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Despite being pretty cold most of the game, HB warmed up when it mattered vs Miami. He won the game for them with 3 clutch baskets down the stretch, and some steals too. He stepped up. Maybe he's starting to shake the monkey off.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Barnes is responding the way our team responds when opponents chant "over rated". We show them we're not. I certainly hope the Crazies don't do that on Feb. 9th. At least not until we're up by 30+ points with a couple of minutes left in the game... :cool: and even then, they are not ranked, so the team is properly un-ranked.

sdotbarbee
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
How about we give Strickland a little credit, he actually had a good game. He was 6-7 from the field with 4 rebounds and 4 assists, Barnes on the other hand was 4-11 with 3 rebounds and 0 assists. I am not saying HB is not a good player because I think he is but since he hit the go-ahead 3 pointer now he is the savior once again, I don't buy it yet. Without Strickland's first half unc doesn't climb out of the hole they were in and I think they fold in the second half. I just think it is funny that all anyone is talking about is the shot that Barnes hit at the end of the game, he shot 36% for the game. I will give him some credit when he actually has a good game.

miramar
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Actually the overrated cheer was not the worst of the night. The student section also chanted "FU Zeller" when he was shooting free throws, just as they chanted "FU Paulus" a few years ago and who knows how many other times.

The university president was in attendance, yet no one did anything. Classy bunch.

Considering that UM was 4-12 in conference last year (albeit with a nice run in the tournament), and 1-5 this year, don't be surprised if they start chanting Haith's name soon. Seven years might not be so lucky if he doesn't get things turned around.

Duvall
01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Barnes deserves credit for never allowing his consistently mediocre performances shake his conviction that he's always the more dangerous scorer on the floor for UNC, even though he isn't. Kudos, I guess.

GODUKEGO
01-27-2011, 09:46 AM
While he might not have panned out yet as advertised, this is about the 3rd or 4th big time clutch shot he has hit for this team and.......

This is a pretty mature response to a tough question during postgame last night:

On Miami fans chanting 'overrated':
“That seems to be a usual thing I’m starting to hear... At the end of the day, we won the game. They’re entitled to say and chant whatever they want.”

Not sure how you hit hit three or four clutch shots when your team is not even ranked in the top 44.

His stats of 11.8 per game while shooting .373 from the field and .719 from the line and .315 from three reflects a slightly above average player but hardly a star. He has played in his 19th game. His scoring over the last seven games is 11.0 per game. He is hardly improving or adjusting to the college game.

MulletMan
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm not ready to anoint him the great one. In fact, I've seen some better clutch shots in my time.

One of my faves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfScg9cNCs)

And another. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16za9PkU9Wk&feature=related)

94duke
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure how you hit hit three or four clutch shots when your team is not even ranked in the top 44.

His stats of 11.8 per game while shooting .373 from the field and .719 from the line and .315 from three reflects a slightly above average player but hardly a star. He has played in his 19th game. His scoring over the last seven games is 11.0 per game. He is hardly improving or adjusting to the college game.

I'm not sure that team ranking has anything to do with being a clutch player. If the 300th ranked team in the country has a guy who hits a couple of big shots during a couple of end-of-game scenarios, I would call that guy clutch. Just because the player is on a badly ranked team does not prevent him from being a clutch player.

While Barnes is not shooting "lights out," he has had a knack for hitting some big buckets for UNC. Hitting the shots last night against Miami was clutch. Hitting the 3 late in the VPI game to give UNC a 4 point lead was clutch. He also hit a 3 to break the tie against Clemson with 5 minutes to play. After that shot, Clemson never took the lead again. That sounds like clutch to me. I certainly wouldn't want to leave that dude open in the closing minutes of a game.

And now I feel a little dirty for sticking up for a UNC guy. ;)

House G
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you wanted to give Rick Barnes a little credit. Too early for that. LOL

Duke79UNLV77
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure that team ranking has anything to do with being a clutch player. If the 300th ranked team in the country has a guy who hits a couple of big shots during a couple of end-of-game scenarios, I would call that guy clutch. Just because the player is on a badly ranked team does not prevent him from being a clutch player.

While Barnes is not shooting "lights out," he has had a knack for hitting some big buckets for UNC. Hitting the shots last night against Miami was clutch. Hitting the 3 late in the VPI game to give UNC a 4 point lead was clutch. He also hit a 3 to break the tie against Clemson with 5 minutes to play. After that shot, Clemson never took the lead again. That sounds like clutch to me. I certainly wouldn't want to leave that dude open in the closing minutes of a game.

He also hit a big 3 in the last minute of the Texas game, that could have sent the game into overtime.

UNC was down on the mat this year, and the rest of the ACC has let them get back up. Unfortunately, they are in position for this to be a bridge year back to excellence, if Henson and Barnes return next year. It hasn't been a great year, but they've dodged disaster several times that could have dug a deeper hole for the program.

94duke
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
He also hit a big 3 in the last minute of the Texas game, that could have sent the game into overtime.

UNC was down on the mat this year, and the rest of the ACC has let them get back up. Unfortunately, they are in position for this to be a bridge year back to excellence, if Henson and Barnes return next year. It hasn't been a great year, but they've dodged disaster several times that could have dug a deeper hole for the program.

I forgot about the Texas game (since they lost that one).
I just checked the box score, and he hit that shot to tie it with 12 seconds left.

yancem
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, it is looking like unc is going to successfully turn their season around and finish in the top third in the acc. They still have some tough games ahead and certainly could implode again (see GaTech) but they are quietly winning games (even on the road). If they can finish 10-6 or better in the acc and can keep Barnes, Henson and Zellar, they are going to be a good team next year.

Let's hope that they either collapse down the stretch or loose some players to draft.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Already seen enough of Barnes to know he won't be a star in the NBA. If you're a star you usually show signs from the get in college as a frosh excluding big men. He's not athletic enough for the 3, and he's not big enough for the 4. Kid should leave after 1 year so he can still be drafted on potential, but he's not the 2nd coming nor will he ever be. It's not like he's playing on a loaded team like Jordan either. He should scoring in bunches.

enick66
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Congrats to HB for making a game winner. I still think he is a jerk and hate him. I can't wait until he is greeted by the Cameron faithful on February 9th. Booooooooooooo. Boooooooooooo.

Gthoma2a
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
People are seriously soliciting congratulations to him from opposing fanbases? I suppose he had a decent 1-2 minutes in a 40 minute game... I don't find that amazing.

nocilla
01-27-2011, 03:28 PM

He has hit some big shots in the clutch. But I just wanted to point out that if he had shot a little better during the course of the game (~35%) the later shots wouldn't need to be clutch.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 03:38 PM
He has hit some big shots in the clutch. But I just wanted to point out that if he had shot a little better during the course of the game (~35%) the later shots wouldn't need to be clutch.

Jay Bilas did an EXCELLENT examination of what his numbers would be if Barnes just hit one more bucket a game. Great work of fictional journalism.

oldnavy
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
People are seriously soliciting congratulations to him from opposing fanbases? I suppose he had a decent 1-2 minutes in a 40 minute game... I don't find that amazing.

Ok, lets give him credit for:
-Leading the team in minutes played
-Turnovers
-Most shot attempts
-Worst fg shooting percentage
-Most attempted three point shots with the second worst 3pt fg%
-Least # of rebounds per minute played of the bigs

He's really coming on strong, hitting those clutch shots to win those tough games against those top echelon teams!! I suspect we will be hearing his name being discussed again for first team AA if he can keep it up!

I see why Roy continues to start him and give him the most minutes... he is truly an amazing talent!

Greg_Newton
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Already seen enough of Barnes to know he won't be a star in the NBA. If you're a star you usually show signs from the get in college as a frosh excluding big men. He's not athletic enough for the 3, and he's not big enough for the 4. Kid should leave after 1 year so he can still be drafted on potential, but he's not the 2nd coming nor will he ever be. It's not like he's playing on a loaded team like Jordan either. He should scoring in bunches.

Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell the scouts! ;)

I do give Barnes a little credit for hitting some big shots though. That's what he is - a shotmaker, and I think he needs to realize that. He's not a slasher, but he can get his shot off over about anybody, and I think he's have some games where he really gets his jumper going before he leaves Carolina.

If I were him, I would start studying tapes for Rashard Lewis. In my mind, Barnes right now is Rashard Lewis trying to be Kobe Bryant. If he can accept his limitations and learn to play within himself, he could be a very effective player... but hope he doesn't!

WiJoe
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
In response to title of thread ... why? is this ic? Didn't think so.

:confused:

RoyalBlue08
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM

I do give Barnes a little credit for hitting some big shots though. That's what he is - a shotmaker, and I think he needs to realize that. He's not a slasher, but he can get his shot off over about anybody, and I think he's have some games where he really gets his jumper going before he leaves Carolina.

If I were him, I would start studying tapes for Rashard Lewis. In my mind, Barnes right now is Rashard Lewis trying to be Kobe Bryant. If he can accept his limitations and learn to play within himself, he could be a very effective player... but hope he doesn't!

I couldn't agree more. I think Lewis is a great comparison and where Barnes career projects out to. I am extremely interested to see if some NBA scout disagrees and takes this kid way to high (IMO).

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I couldn't agree more. I think Lewis is a great comparison and where Barnes career projects out to. I am extremely interested to see if some NBA scout disagrees and takes this kid way to high (IMO).

Well, to be fair, in the pro's he'd have a pg who can get him the ball and a coach who can adjust to the personnel. So I think he will be a lottery pick this year, and I will maintain this position until the deadline passes for him to withdraw his name. (I may reconsider after that point).

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
That really is the heart of the matter. If HB hadn't shot just 2-9 proir to the closing minutes, those late shots wouldn't have been so critical. 4-11 just isn't that stellar.

BD80
01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell the scouts! ;) ...

Exactly! I agree with the OP, I think it is time for hb to shed his "bust" label and develop into the 1st round pick he knows he is.

I'd love to see hb go on tear in the tourney, averaging 30+, leading the heels to a championship,* gaining hb top 5 draft status so he winds up with the Bobcats.

* NIT championship

Indoor66
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Exactly! I agree with the OP, I think it is time for hb to shed his "bust" label and develop into the 1st round pick he knows he is.

I'd love to see hb go on tear in the tourney, averaging 30+, leading the heels to a championship,* gaining hb top 5 draft status so he winds up with the Bobcats.

* NIT championship

...and be around MJ - to please his mother.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM

* NIT championship

NIT Tournament MVP. Like a Helms Trophy, only real.

-bdbd
01-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Barnes is responding the way our team responds when opponents chant "over rated". We show them we're not. I certainly hope the Crazies don't do that on Feb. 9th. At least not until we're up by 30+ points with a couple of minutes left in the game... :cool: and even then, they are not ranked, so the team is properly un-ranked.

I think the Crazies will have some VERY creative things waiting for HB when he dares to step into CIS again. I'd predict that he will get about as "difficult" a reception as any player has in many years. You just don't handle your recruitment, announcement, etc. the way he did and have ANY expectation of it being forgotten...

The 18' fadeaway shot was really good, as he was being well-guarded. I noticed that he seemed very composed and calm throughout it - confident that it was going in despite all of his earlier misses. Maybe he's just one of those kids who needs to have the spotlight/pressure on before he focuses andmakes the tough shots...

For those hinting that Kerlina is back, please keep in mind that they are still a win or two behind the conference leaders still, and had the easy part of their schedule early this year. The road over the next few weeks gets much tougher. You don't play the way they did vs Miami (a bottom-2 ACC team) and survive vs. the likes of FSU, Duke, VPI, BC, MD. But kudos to the heels, as they survived yet another nail-biter versus a lower-half ACC squad. But those will likely start catchhing up to them as competition stiffens...

Kinda like what happened with the UNC women once they got to the meat of their sked - vs MD and, soon, Duke.

:rolleyes:

lpd1982
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Today I listened to the David Glenn show. I pulled a long day at work and in order to go back and do another long stint I needed to get some quick shut eye. Now I like Glenn and I think he admires Coach K greatly, but I gotta say, today I couldn't believe the show. He 'promo'ed the advent of Barnes the savior as I drove home. When I got in the house he was recounting the 'clutchness' of the Black Falcon with a guest . After 30 winks when I woke up he WAS STILL recounting how many times Barnes had made clutch shots in the season (for anyone not counting, we were told it could be as high as 7). And the Barnes show continued as I was driving BACK to work. Two, as the kids say, friggin' hours of the return, emergence?, coming of Harrison Barnes. If this is what Barnes gets for hitting an open shot I wish I could have heard the show when Zoubs busted out.

SupaDave
01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, he's definitely NO Rashard Lewis - who can actually hit jump shots and is SUPER athletic. Rashard just hates contact.

I was more interested in seeing the UNC reaction if Miami actually tied it up. They would have been crushed and I truly believe the Heels would have lost.

CampbellBlueDevil
01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
He's definitely hit some shots in crunch time.

On another note, every time I watch Zeller shoot free throws in the last minutes of a game... he never misses. Bugs me to death that I never see ONE miss from him haha.

oldnavy
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I haven't been keeping up, but has HB been named Freshman of the week this season yet?

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I haven't been keeping up, but has HB been named Freshman of the week this season yet?

No. AFAIK.

Devilsfan
01-28-2011, 01:05 AM
It's hard for an intelligent person to give someone credit for choosing to play for "rough around the edges Roy" over the master Coach K not to mention choosing unc over Duke. So I don't give him ANY credit at all.

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 05:06 AM
It's hard for an intelligent person to give someone credit for choosing to play for "rough around the edges Roy" over the master Coach K not to mention choosing unc over Duke. So I don't give him ANY credit at all.

I have to believe that Roy made promises to HB regarding PT and starts that K would not. That in addition to HB's mom being infatuated by Michael Jordan pushed the kid over the edge.

Also, it would explain to me why HB continues to lead the team in minutes played. Bullock is a much more productive offensive player and is getting about half the minutes HB is, plus Bullock plays better defense, so I think Roy (to his credit albeit problematic at this point) is keeping his part of some deal he made with HB.... just my opinion with nothing to back it up like the vast majority of my posts!

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 05:12 AM
No. AFAIK.

So does he make the freshman all conference team then?? I am sure he will, but who would have thought that would be a legitimate question at the beginning of the year. Good recruiting tool for other coaches to use against Roy.

"Hey you can go play for Roy, and go from a can't miss AA first round draft pick, to a 4 year project player because the last thing on earth Roy wants to do is teach you how to play offense or defense"

Not entirely true, but hey it is recruiting!!
:p

Mike Corey
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
This has to be a frustrating year for him, so far. Not the start he envisioned.

He's more frustrated than you might suspect.

Humble Harry has a lot of growing up to do. He's in the process of it now.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM
He's more frustrated than you might suspect.

Humble Harry has a lot of growing up to do. He's in the process of it now.

His coach and pg are holding him back, and it won't be much better next year either in Chapel Hill.

He really should make the jump after this year.

Really.

Or, resign himself to the fact that he is a three-year or four-year player. Which is fine, of course, but I do not think that's where he thinks he could be. Obviously, those who voted him pre-season AA feel the same.

yancem
01-28-2011, 09:14 AM

I'm sure I will get a lot of flack from this but I think that Barnes' game is more Battier without the great defense. Battier was/is a great shooter but isn't much of a slasher and while he developed some post up moves he wasn't a big low post guy either. The key to his offense is someone getting him the ball in the right spots and playing within the offense. This is part of why he isn't as effective offensively in the pros.

Its funny that during the recruiting process we compared Barnes to Battier in terms of his composure, maturity and all around personality when maybe we should have been comparing their offensive and athletic limitations.

All that being said, Battier ended up being an AA and NPOY and if Barnes sticks around long enough, he could follow a similar path. The kid has potential, at least on the college level. Once he realizes that he's not the second coming and settles in to doing what the team needs to win; he'll be a good if not great college player.

94duke
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm sure I will get a lot of flack from this but I think that Barnes' game is more Battier without the great defense. Battier was/is a great shooter but isn't much of a slasher and while he developed some post up moves he wasn't a big low post guy either. The key to his offense is someone getting him the ball in the right spots and playing within the offense. This is part of why he isn't as effective offensively in the pros.

Battier without the great defense.

That's like saying, "It's a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup without the peanut butter."

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Battier without the great defense.

That's like saying, "It's a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup without the peanut butter."

Nolan Ryan without the fastball.

jdj4duke
01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm sure I will get a lot of flack from this but I think that Barnes' game is more Battier without the great defense.

Consider this to be flack, then. Battier possessed a knowledge, feel, and head for the game that Barnes has not come close to revealing. Forget the defense criticism; Shane was in the middle of nearly every play of every game (ok I admit to some patina here), but even as a freshman, Shane showed an uncanny and unbelievably mature ability to be in the right spot at the right time, whether on offense or defense. He was never out of a game and I would bet you could watch nearly every game he played as a freshman and point to positive impact.

Barnes has looked lost, out of sorts, and disengaged for long periods of many games. I don't recall Battier ever taking a play off or being disengaged. Admittedly it's early in a career, but even assuming that Barnes were to stay for four years, do you see anything in his demeanor that will be comparable to Shane's level of leadership and headiness, ie the proverbial basketball IQ? We'll see of course, but my money is not on HB.

Duke05
01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I think you guys are way undervaluing him. This pretty stellar analysis shows there's a good chance he's still the next Jordan:

So far, Barnes is averaging almost 12 points and 5.4 rebounds per game in 27.3 minutes. Jordan averaged 13.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in 31.7 minutes during his freshman year. While Jordan also averaged over 50 percent shooting his freshman year and Barnes is shooting about 37 percent, this is comparing a full year with only part of the season. We will see where Barnes ends up.

But whatever the outcome, Jordan stayed at UNC for three years. If Barnes were to stay for that long, it will make little difference what happened his freshman year. Barnes is almost certainly bound for greatness. Barring injury, he could be another Jordan.

Obviously. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/579187-unc-basketball-is-harrison-barnes-a-bust-or-the-next-jordan)

yancem
01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Consider this to be flack, then. Battier possessed a knowledge, feel, and head for the game that Barnes has not come close to revealing. Forget the defense criticism; Shane was in the middle of nearly every play of every game (ok I admit to some patina here), but even as a freshman, Shane showed an uncanny and unbelievably mature ability to be in the right spot at the right time, whether on offense or defense. He was never out of a game and I would bet you could watch nearly every game he played as a freshman and point to positive impact.

Barnes has looked lost, out of sorts, and disengaged for long periods of many games. I don't recall Battier ever taking a play off or being disengaged. Admittedly it's early in a career, but even assuming that Barnes were to stay for four years, do you see anything in his demeanor that will be comparable to Shane's level of leadership and headiness, ie the proverbial basketball IQ? We'll see of course, but my money is not on HB.

I understand what you are saying. I was comparing more the two's offensive games not their leadership ability (although as I alluded to in my original post, that is one of the things people were touting when we were recruiting him). One thing to keep in mind though is that when Battier was a freshman he faced very little pressure or expectations. He was surrounded by Better players and was on a better team than Barnes. I would love to say that if, as a freshman, Battier was handed the ball and told to shoulder the weight of the team, that he would respond like the champion we all know him to be. But he wasn't put in that position so we will never know. Maybe he would have pressed and lost some confidence. I'd also like to think that Battier wasn't put in that position because K is a better coach than O'Roy but that may just be my blue colored glasses talking!

wilson
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
I understand what you are saying. I was comparing more the two's offensive games not their leadership ability...I think you're still missing the point. When you talk about Shane Battier without his leadership ability, basketball IQ, etc., you're not talking about Shane Battier.

jdj4duke
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I understand what you are saying. I was comparing more the two's offensive games not their leadership ability (although as I alluded to in my original post, that is one of the things people were touting when we were recruiting him). One thing to keep in mind though is that when Battier was a freshman he faced very little pressure or expectations. He was surrounded by Better players and was on a better team than Barnes. I would love to say that if, as a freshman, Battier was handed the ball and told to shoulder the weight of the team, that he would respond like the champion we all know him to be. But he wasn't put in that position so we will never know. Maybe he would have pressed and lost some confidence. I'd also like to think that Battier wasn't put in that position because K is a better coach than O'Roy but that may just be my blue colored glasses talking!

Got it and your points nicely elucidated.

Barnes though is still the Reese's without the peanut butter as noted. Give me Shane anytime. And certainly "K is a better coach than O'Roy" regardless of the colors of anyone's glasses, so our discussion is copacetic.

MChambers
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I think you're still missing the point. When you talk about Shane Battier without his leadership ability, basketball IQ, etc., you're not talking about Shane Battier.

The "No Stats All-Star" without the All-Star part?

BD80
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I think you guys are way undervaluing him. This pretty stellar analysis shows there's a good chance he's still the next Jordan:

So far, Barnes is averaging almost 12 points and 5.4 rebounds per game in 27.3 minutes. Jordan averaged 13.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in 31.7 minutes during his freshman year. While Jordan also averaged over 50 percent shooting his freshman year and Barnes is shooting about 37 percent, this is comparing a full year with only part of the season. We will see where Barnes ends up. ...

Obviously. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/579187-unc-basketball-is-harrison-barnes-a-bust-or-the-next-jordan)

WOW! I didn't see how similar they were! It is even spookier when you realize how similar this year's team is to Jordan's team that year:

Perkins C So
Worthy F Jr
Doherty F So
Jordan G Fr
Black G Sr

Just like Jordan, I am sure hb is just deferring as a freshman to the incredible talent around him!

Jderf
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
(A little off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread)

Can anyone find a photo of HB from the preseason wearing the "I'm that dude" shirt? I have plans for it... I know a photo was posted somewhere on DBR but, for the life of me, I cannot seem to find it.

DukeFanSince1990
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
WOW! I didn't see how similar they were! It is even spookier when you realize how similar this year's team is to Jordan's team that year:

Perkins C So
Worthy F Jr
Doherty F So
Jordan G Fr
Black G Sr

Just like Jordan, I am sure hb is just deferring as a freshman to the incredible talent around him!

I get your point.

Devilsfan
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
If I was a banker I would definitely deny Harrison Barnes credit. His HYPE has written checks his play can't cash. He is definitely NOT money in the bank.

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Perkins C So
Worthy F Jr
Doherty F So
Jordan G Fr
Black G Sr

Yes, except that Barnes has shot the ball more than any other tarheel has this year. He is deferring to no one. (I realize that you were kidding and making the point about the talent difference in the respective teams)

Question for all of those enamored with HB.

What has Barnes done to demonstrate ANY elite talent??? He is shooting a team worst FG%, he is the worst rebounder on the team outside of the guard positions. He leads the team in turnovers and plays mediocre defense. He cannot create his own shot, will not post up in the paint and cannot dribble. The kid is an average player who shoots too much and turns the ball over too much.
Truth is, he should be coming off the bench behind Reggie Bullock and getting about 15-20 mpg, but you know that isn’t going to happen if it took Roy ˝ the season to realize that Marshall was a better PG than DrewII.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, except that Barnes has shot the ball more than any other tarheel has this year. He is deferring to no one. (I realize that you were kidding and making the point about the talent difference in the respective teams)

What has Barnes done to demonstrate ANY elite talent??? He is shooting a team worst FG%, he is the worst rebounder on the team outside of the guard positions. He leads the team in turnovers and plays mediocre defense. He cannot create his own shot, will not post up in the paint and cannot dribble. The kid is an average player who shoots too much and turns the ball over too much.
Truth is, he should be coming off the bench behind Reggie Bullock and getting about 15-20 mpg, but you know that isn’t going to happen if it took Roy ˝ the season to realize that Marshall was a better PG than DrewII.

Exhibit "A" as to why you don't promise recruits starting slots.

BD80
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Ricky Gervais write that for you? All kinds of true, but mean, so mean. Wish I had posted it.

InSpades
01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
It's amazing to look back and remember how desperate everyone here was for us to get Barnes (maybe not everyone, but pretty close). It just goes to show how recruiting is more of an art than a science. Meanwhile plenty of guys lower on the recruiting list have turned out to be absolute studs (Sullinger, Jones, etc.).

I know we all think Barnes would be a different player if he had come to Duke but what if he had come to Duke and played like this? Where would he be on the depth chart? What kind of issues would it cause for him to be coming off the bench and potentially not getting that many minutes? Sometimes things work out for the best...

BD80
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
The "Black Falcon" thing is serious?!??

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/27285249

I thought it was a joke we perpetuated over here.

That is really, really sad.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM

http://college-basketball-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/27285249

Bird-brained, some would say.

moonpie23
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
what is ANYONE to think about a recruit that K and Roy go at it to nab? all the banter, hype, secret in-homes, skype, buildup?

the average observer WOULD think the kid is the second coming of sliced bread...

i said about a year ago that HWNSNBM will have the world on his shoulders and if he doesn't walk in and OWN unc basketball, that it would be tough on him...

InSpades
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM

I don't get the comparison to Xavier Henry either. Henry joined a team that went to the sweet 16 and had 2 impressive seniors in Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich. They had final 4 expectations and national title dreams. Henry didn't have to be "the man", he just had to play a role, and he did a good job of it.

Barnes joined a team that missed the NCAAs and didn't have anywhere near the expectations that Kansas did last year. He could have come in and dominated like a Durant or Carmelo but he's not good enough so he hasn't.

Barnes is like Xavier Henry if Xavier Henry missed 1 more shot per game.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Barnes joined a team that missed the NCAAs

. . . not to mention losing two big upperclassmen to transfer, and a top scoring senior to "issues" . . . .

Barnes is like Xavier Henry if Xavier Henry missed 1 more shot per game.

LOL. Is that you, Jay?

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Exhibit "A" as to why you don't promise recruits starting slots.

Bingo!! And a kid that wants that kind of promise is not the kind of kid you want on the team anyway. That says to me "I'm entitled", loud and clear.

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 05:08 PM

I can't wait until the lunch box comes out!!

BattierBattalion
01-28-2011, 05:55 PM
People are jumping back on the Barnes backwagon after he hit a few timely shots? Ridiculous.

Barnes' Offensive Rating is fairly mediocre. According to KenPom, he's at 92.6. Ouch. http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Carolina

Considering that he doesn't play stellar defense either, I'm not even sure he's worth starting.

DUKIE V(A)
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

I'll pass on the lunch box. I like my Superheroes to succeed more than 37% of the time...:D

Seriously though, I wonder how much more successful he would have been at Duke than Carolina. Having said that, I am excited about the quality of character and talent our current players have, and Barnes being on the team would likely have taken away from some of the opportunities players like Dawkins, Kelly, etc. have.

InSpades
01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Dawkins, Kelly, etc. being on the team would likely have taken away from some of the opportunities players like Barnes have.

IFYP :). You're welcome.

oldnavy
01-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I'll pass on the lunch box. I like my Superheroes to succeed more than 37% of the time...:D

Seriously though, I wonder how much more successful he would have been at Duke than Carolina. Having said that, I am excited about the quality of character and talent our current players have, and Barnes being on the team would likely have taken away from some of the opportunities players like Dawkins, Kelly, etc. have.

I guess the expectations for a Super Hero is a little lower in Iowa and CH....

If I had to give him a nickname it might be "Potential Man"!!

moonpie23
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
here's some credit for HWNSNBM

NEVER forget........

Devilsfan
01-28-2011, 07:24 PM
He's Secretariat without the speed. He's Einstein without the gray matter (He chose roy and unc over K and Duke). He's the guard at BYU without the shot. He's Starbucks without the coffee. He's Apple without the technology. He's Harrison Barnes from Ames Iowa.

BD80
01-28-2011, 08:05 PM
He's Secretariat without the speed. He's Einstein without the gray matter (He chose roy and unc over K and Duke). He's the guard at BYU without the shot. He's Starbucks without the coffee. He's Apple without the technology. He's Harrison Barnes from Ames Iowa.

He's Sonny without Cher.

kong123
01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t108/pokeystix/?action=view&current=johnhenson.jpg

OldPhiKap
01-28-2011, 11:15 PM

POTD!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Give him credit? Nah. He has to pay cash for everything he wants to buy in this store!

oldnavy
01-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Give him credit? Nah. He has to pay cash for everything he wants to buy in this store!

He's a black falcon without the talons, wings, feathers or sharp pointy beak!

But just imagine how good he would be if he could shoot a little better, say at least 10% points better, dribble with either hand, rebound, play defense, post up,
or make cuts toward the basket for passes and lay-ins or dunks...

I mean he would be really amazing.... he has the potential to do all of this, that is what make him great. That is why I am now referring to him as Potential Man!! His greatness lies in his potential to be great.

DUKIE V(A)
01-29-2011, 09:27 AM

You got me...Made me laugh... :)

Devilsfan
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
The shame of it all is that Harrison could have been really good had his mother not had a "groupie" like admiration of Michael Jordan and advised him to go play for country wannabee ol'roy instead of going to Duke and learning the game under Coach K the Master Teacher.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM

http://sharetv.org/shows/the_greatest_american_hero

CDu
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Barnes had his best game as a collegiate today against NC St. He's a lock to finally break through and get Freshman of the Week with his game-winner at Miami and his big day today. Hopefully he doesn't make a habit of it. I like the previous incarnation of Barnes much better.

Kewlswim
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I give him credit for being sort of icky and gloating when he should just play ball and call it a day. Does that count?

GO DUKE!

SupaDave
01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
The shame of it all is that Harrison could have been really good had his mother not had a "groupie" like admiration of Michael Jordan and advised him to go play for country wannabee ol'roy instead of going to Duke and learning the game under Coach K the Master Teacher.

This is a bit spiteful. The truth of the matter is that she raised a fine young man that attends one of America's most storied Universities. There's no guarantee Barnes would have been better off at Duke so let's root against him as the rival that he is and give a bit less deference to what was.