PDA

View Full Version : "Gone in 54 Seconds," January 27, 2001

TallMan
01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
It's hard to believe that the "Miracle Minute" was already ten years ago (my freshman year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

I also didn't realize that it was the same day as the Oklahoma State tragedy.

Bluedevil114
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
It's hard to believe that the "Miracle Minute" was already ten years ago (my freshman year).

Wow I had no idea of that either. I was at this game at Cole Field House and it was an unbelieable ending. I was basically sitting on my hands most of the game and when that game ended I felt the most unease I have ever been in all the years attending the MD/Duke game. I quickly got out of there (big grin on my face though).

TallMan
01-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I was watching in Wilson. As soon as we won, everyone ran out of their dorms on East to celebrate. I missed out on the spontaneous bonfire on West, which nearly cost us our bonfire permit for the second UNC game.

Newton_14
01-26-2011, 10:01 PM

10 year anniversary, a cause for celebration!!

I had called my closest Duke buddy and walked out of the room with just over a minute left. We were discussing how poor Duke had played. I walked back into the room just in time to see Jason hit the first 3 to cut it to 7. Then he got the steal and hit the 2nd 3. I had renewed hope and sat my rear back in my chair!

The rest as they say... is history!!

snowdenscold
01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Interesting the announcers mention the Australian Open is coming on right after (and coverage then gets pushed back due to OT). I've been watching that grand slam the past two weeks!

Agassi and Capriati were the winners 10 years ago. How fast a decade goes by indeed.

Edit: I think that was probably the 100th time I've watch this video now =)

pfrduke
01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Despite my allegiances, I can't help but feel the slight bit sorry for Drew Nicholas every time I watch that. Gets it stolen from him by Williams, then clanks his two free throws, and misses the game winner at the buzzer. That has to have been the worst 60 seconds of his career.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Hard to think of a game where it looked so lopsided against us, but we won. Maybe Indiana in the '92 Tourney, where we got out @$@3 handed to us in the first half.

Ja-son Will-iams!

{CLAP! CLAP! CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!}

Miracle at Maryland.

arydolphin
01-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Funny story about that game for me...I was a senior at Duke, and was with a bunch of my friends at Satisfaction's watching the game. With 1:30 left to go in regulation, I told the group that I wanted to leave because I didn't want to watch Maryland win the game. The group had to convince me to stay until the end of the game...I'm really happy that they were smarter than me on that day. Even now, they still give me grief over wanting to leave Satisfaction's, because if I had left, I would have never seen the comeback at all!

4decadedukie
01-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Bev and I have the game recorded on TIVO; we watch it several times annually, as much to prove the existence of a deity as to demonstrate the abiding love the almighty has for Duke and his well-warranted disdain for Maryland.
:D

Bluedevil114
01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
BYU is chanting overrated to the SDSU team with over one minute and an 11 point lead. Maryland also began chanting that night at Cole Field House and began moving down the seating section to storm the court. Then they had to go back to their seats 54 seconds later to watch a miserable overtime.

Bluedevil114
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
BYU is chanting overrated to the SDSU team with over one minute and an 11 point lead. Maryland also began chanting that night at Cole Field House and began moving down the seating section to storm the court. Then they had to go back to their seats 54 seconds later to watch a miserable overtime.

The difference is SDSU does not have a Jason Williams or a Shane Battier.

gep
01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
The difference is SDSU does not have a Jason Williams or a Shane Battier.

or a NATE JAMES!!!

DukeSean
01-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Despite my allegiances, I can't help but feel the slight bit sorry for Drew Nicholas every time I watch that. Gets it stolen from him by Williams, then clanks his two free throws, and misses the game winner at the buzzer. That has to have been the worst 60 seconds of his career.

you felt bad for him??? my favorite part of the movie (besides of course all the Jason Williams heroics) is when I see him smirk as he lines up for free throws and clangs em both. so sweet.

J.Blink
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Anybody have a higher quality recording than what's available on youtube?

juise
01-27-2011, 04:01 AM
I was watching in Wilson. As soon as we won, everyone ran out of their dorms on East to celebrate. I missed out on the spontaneous bonfire on West, which nearly cost us our bonfire permit for the second UNC game.

My story is identical to yours, except substitute Aycock for Wilson. It was a magical night.

bjornolf
01-27-2011, 04:32 AM
My parents went to that game. They had to leave with about a minute left 'cause my mom had health problems. As Dad pushed her wheelchair past the bronze Testudo out front, she reached out and grabbed his chin, looked him straight in the eye, and said, "You're cute, but you're going to lose." She always had weird affects on things. I've always credited her mojo with that win.

jdj4duke
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I was in Bangkok on a business trip, and getting game updates on a very slow dial-up connection. With a minute left I of course closed the computer figuring that was that. It wasn't till more than a day later that I got a newspaper with the polls or standings and saw what I thought had to be a mistake in the Duke loss column. I remember thinking that it was odd that Herald Tribune had made such a mistake, and it wasn't for another day or so that I found out what really happened.

From that time on, I have never turned off a game till the end. And I don't miss the dial-up days-

UrinalCake
01-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Doesn't he also get blocked by Battier at the end of overtime? I'd have to watch it again. If you're going to feel sorry for anyone, how about Steve Blake? He always played great against Jason Williams, but then fouls out of a game that he thinks is a done deal, only to be forced to sit on the bench and watch his teammates waste all of his efforts.

pfrduke
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Doesn't he also get blocked by Battier at the end of overtime?

My memory tells me that was Dixon, but my memory does funny things from time to time.

DukieTiger
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Ten years ago??

**** I'm old!! :/

Seriously though, probably one of the most pleasurable game watching experiences of my life. I got in the shower with about 5 minutes left because I was done with this game, only to come out just in time for the Miracle.

Jason was a freaking killer. When they got that second steal, you just knew they were going to win it. Unbelievable for that to happen twice in a 30 second span. J-Will had some active hands.

Reilly
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Does anyone have a photo of the UVa student holding his "Gone in 54 seconds" sign when Maryland came into U-Hall after that? Certainly a classic ACC moment -- crystallizes for me what the old ACC is/was -- how everybody's aware of how to get under everybody else's skin.

Don't see much of Juan Dixon during that last minute, not sure why. Boxscore shows Blake with 5 fouls and 29 minutes of playing time so he had already fouled out?

Ten NBA players on the court that night (Battier, Dunleavy, Williams, Boozer, Duhon .... Blake, Dixon, Baxter, Terrence Morris, Chris Wilcox).

Nice shot at the first timeout in the clip, with Johnny D, JWill, and Battier shoulder to shoulder: three NCAA players of the year. Johnny D looks more sinister with a mustache.

Such an intense game: Gary Williams is sweating.

It was the night before the Baltimore Ravens played the NYGiants in Tampa in the Super Bowl. if I recall correctly, news accounts talked about Williams being at the Super Bowl (Steve Bisciotti, then minority owner, now majority owner of the Ravens, is a friend and big Terps fan), and Williams was morosely attending all the SBowl festivities, understandably unable to shake the previous night.

weezie
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Funny to hear Mike Patrick before the last 100lbs he loaded on.

wilson
01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Funny to hear Mike Patrick before the last 100lbs he loaded on.Not to mention the other 220 lbs. of dead weight he typically travels with these days...
http://cbskiltam.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/len-elmore.jpg?w=200&h=245

weezie
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Not to mention the other 220 lbs. of dead weight he typically travels with these days...

LOL, indeed! Just what I needed to pick up my day :o

Orange&BlackSheep
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I went to watch it with my brother (Trinity '96) and his 6-7 month pregnant wife (Trinity '97) at his house. Glum turned to glee and much jumping around and whooping it up happened. Later that evening, my sister-in-law started having contractions and there was real fear of pre-term labor. Nothing happened that night other than that win (thankfully), and a healthy little girl was born in late April (Trinity '23).

Sadly for my sister-in-law, my brother established the no more Duke games edict so she was not able to enjoy the NC :)

DukeGirl4ever
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Not to mention the other 220 lbs. of dead weight he typically travels with these days...

I just had to add this, but wasn't sure which thread - this or the Elmore thread.

I watched the "Gone in 54 seconds" clip and I noticed some other Duke miracle clips along the side, so I decided to watch a few. I watched the Duke-Clemson clip where McClure hit the shot at the buzzer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfScg9cNCs&feature=related

Of course Elmore is announcing...and he is such a Debbie Downer. At first he questions the amount of time that was put back on the clock, and then Patrick starts going crazy when Dave makes the shot and there's Grumpy Len going, "No, no, I don't know."

:mad:

killerleft
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I just had to add this, but wasn't sure which thread - this or the Elmore thread.

I watched the "Gone in 54 seconds" clip and I noticed some other Duke miracle clips along the side, so I decided to watch a few. I watched the Duke-Clemson clip where McClure hit the shot at the buzzer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfScg9cNCs&feature=related

Of course Elmore is announcing...and he is such a Debbie Downer. At first he questions the amount of time that was put back on the clock, and then Patrick starts going crazy when Dave makes the shot and there's Grumpy Len going, "No, no, I don't know."

:mad:

The clock operator pretty much sucked at the end of the game. First off, the clock should have been reset to 5.8 or so instead of 5.0 after the Clemson lay-up. Then, the operator failed to start the clock on time after the giveaway by McBob. Then he tries to make up for that by letting the clock run down to 1.8.

If I saw it correctly, it appears that Duke should have had about 4.2 seconds to run the last play. The Clemson shot to tie took less than 2 seconds.

So I can't fault Len Legend for saying, "No, no, I don't know". Nobody knew 1) exactly how much time should have been on the clock for our last play, and 2) only after a replay in slow motion can you really tell for sure that David McClure did really beat the buzzer.

In essence, the clock operator is responsible for all the confusion, not Len Elmore.

That's what I saw, at least. Sorry to mess up the metanarrative.

Danke Shane
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I miss me some Brad Daugherty providing the commentary...

Reilly
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Daugherty, Kenny Smith, and (to a bit lesser degree) Jamison = only three non-annoying Heels, in my book ... .

hurleyfor3
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Daugherty, Kenny Smith, and (to a bit lesser degree) Jamison = only three non-annoying Heels, in my book ... .

Kenny Smith is non-annoying? Is that because you find him unintentionally funny?

Re the 2001 game in Cole, people seem to forget the deficit was actually twelve points with just over a minute remaining. I recall the Maryland fans doing the "Overrated" cheer or something similar at that point. Oops.

epoulsen
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I remember watching this game at a local bar in Raleigh with my Uncle and all of his UNC friends, who were just drunk/giddy with excitement. I remember J Will dropping a duece, and then grabbing the steal and dropping the three and I looked over at my uncle and with defeated look he sighed, looked down at his burboun, leaned back in his barstool and said simply.... "Duke's gowna wi-uhn". Aside from our national titles I don't think I was ever so proud of our Devils. GREAT memory.

burnspbesq
01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Hard to think of a game where it looked so lopsided against us, but we won.

Women @UConn in 2004. Down 20 in the second half. Won at the buzzer on a three by Jess Foley.

DukeGirl4ever
01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Nice to see PTI acknowledge the Miracle Minute today!

1 24 90
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
ESPN Classic is showing this game on February 1 from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m.

CharlestonDevil
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Boxscore shows Blake with 5 fouls and 29 minutes of playing time so he had already fouled out?

Yep. And literally seconds after he went out of the game J Will went on his tear. Blake is the only player I ever remember that just really had Jason's number. In "Five Point Play" JWill is quoted as saying "The Maryland fans started chanting 'overrated!'. I hate that chant." Too bad 1 minute of a hot Jason Williams is greater than 39 minutes of Steve Blake defense!

Funny story, I was a sophmore in high school when this game happened. I watched it with my dad at home. Athough I am the more devoted Blue Devil dad got so frustrated that towards the end of the game he stood up out of the recliner and and huffed "I'm going to the store." 30 seconds later Steve Blake fouls out. 54 seconds and 1 overtime after that we've got a W. A HUGE W.

Dad came home from the store and I was still jumping up and down in excitement (and utter disbelief). He hasn't missed an ending since.

moonpie23
01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
i had to leave to go see a band that night and turned it off with about 1:30 left.....too me maybe 10 minutes to get to the gig and the TV was on.......i looked up and thought "what is this? a replay? wait......that's OVER TIME!!! NO FREAKING WAY"......

had to watch the highlights later...

HCheek37
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
It seems like teams down 10 or 12 with a minute or two left at throwing in the white towel. I see lackluster pressing, players looking to pad stats, and coaches calling off the dogs. I am sure we'll see another comeback like Duke's someday but right now games like this are far too often conceded by the team down 10 or so. Anyone else agree??

wsb3
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
It is not as if I have not turned the TV off early when the game seemed out of reach. My sole reason that I did not was it appeared to be the end of an incredible 22 game ACC Road Streak. It was my way to pay homage to a fantastic feat.

Midway through OT I called my sister suspecting correctly that she had pulled the plug. "Turn the game back on I shouted into her voice mail."

She calls me back a minute later. "What in the world happened?"

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
It's still amazing to me that we played MD four times that season and each game was a classic.

wilson
01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
It's still amazing to me that we played MD four times that season and each game was a classic.Good call. And perhaps even more improbably, the only one we lost was in Cameron, on Senior Night. Odd, indeed.

wsb3
01-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Good call. And perhaps even more improbably, the only one we lost was in Cameron, on Senior Night. Odd, indeed.

I remember feeling the next day that losing the game paled in comparison to thinking Boozer was gone and our hopes for a National Championship gone with him. And we were heading into Chapel Hill next and I was not confident. We beat them. Beat them again the next week in the ACC Championship and the rest is history. Every button Coach K pushed over that five week period was the right one.

wilson
01-28-2011, 10:52 AM
...Every button Coach K pushed over that five week period was the right one.Yep. That was truly one of the most masterful coaching performances in any sport in the last couple of decades. And then Coach K turned in another such performance with the entirety of last season's body of work.
I know we say it all the time, but I really hope people realize that we're watching one of the true greats in American sport.

PADukeMom
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I remember this game like it was last night. I turned the game off with around 2 minutes while trying to rationalize that this was a good loss.
My son called me to ask if I believed what was happening & I went into my spiel about it still being okay to lose now & he told me I needed to turn the TV back on just in time to see Jason nail a 3. That was when we figured out I was the jinx with Maryland so I was not allowed to watch the ACC Tourny when we played Maryland. Imagine being in the hospital, connected to an IV & having to listen to my son give me play-by-play on the phone & not being allowed to watch.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
BTW, is the 2001 championship team going to be honored this year, perhaps during halftime of the GTech game (NBA All-Star break)?

pfrduke
01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
It's still amazing to me that we played MD four times that season and each game was a classic.

I would say that the three wins were classics. The loss was sort of an unremarkable game - Maryland ended up winning by 11, although did have a decent second half comeback to do so.

MChambers
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
My memory tells me that was Dixon, but my memory does funny things from time to time.

It was Dixon. Battier pretty well knew Maryland's plays.