PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hewitt's job

wilson
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Apropos of some recent discussion 'round these parts, Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a new piece (http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/01/26/in-the-grand-scheme-can-tech-afford-not-to-fire-paul-hewitt/) up asking in its headline, "In the grand scheme, can Tech afford NOT to fire Paul Hewitt?"
Generally speaking, Bradley is a putz, but you know...blind squirrels and nuts and all that. He re-hashes some things we've already covered, including Hewitt's albatross of a buyout (which he pegs at $7 million, instead of the ~$8 million I thought it was, but that's really no improvement).
Most telling, and echoing some comments several of us have made regarding the GA Tech fanbase, is the first substantive offering in the reader comments section: "It's just basketball. Who cares?"
I guarantee people would care if Hewitt were consistently taking the Jackets to Final Fours (or even sniffing them, for that matter). The state of that program is sad, indeed.

Delaware
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I turned on the game last night and they showed the arena.... EMPTY!

weezie
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Mon Dieu, a 7mil buyout?! :confused:

I am flabbergasted. That is incredible. Seriously, I may get dinged here but what in the heck is up with that. And folks in the media grouse when K, a proven winner, an iconic figure in American (the best) sports makes an amount of money commensurate with his success and profile?

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM

I am flabbergasted. That is incredible. Seriously, I may get dinged here but what in the heck is up with that. And folks in the media grouse when K, a proven winner, an iconic figure in American (the best) sports makes an amount of money commensurate with his success and profile?

I'll get the story wrong, but I think he signed it after his first/only miracle run in the FF his first or second year. It's a seven year deal that automatically adds another year to the end each March. Crazy stupid contract.

GT has great engineers, but needs a couple of good lawyers. 'Cause they got jobbed.

El_Diablo
01-26-2011, 08:09 PM

What's worse is that GT cannot simply wait for the contract to expire either. It automatically renews every year.

EDIT: Yeah, what OPK said.

JasonEvans
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
The reality is that unless Paul Hewitt does something horrible (dead woman or live boy?) that allows Ga Tech to fire him for cause, this is a lifetime contract. The effect of it is that Tech will have to pay Hewitt the $7 mill buyout... someday!

Why not do it now and actually improve the program?

Of course, the problem is raising that $7 mill. Tech is not in strong financial shape - it is a public school, one of the best public engineering schools in the country but still a public school. There are some alums/boosters with money, for sure, but would any of them be willing to fork over the millions it will cost to get rid of the basketball coach?

It really comes down to the money. I think the powers-that-be at Tech know the programs needs a change. But only they know if they have the money to pull it off.

-Jason "they need to hire Mark Price -- even though he has almost no coaching track record" Evans

Duvall
01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
-Jason "they need to hire Mark Price -- even though he has almost no coaching track record" Evans

Hiring a good player from the 1980's with limited college coaching success or experience didn't exactly work out for N.C. State.

Georgia Tech, like Maryland, is a sleeping giant in college basketball. Tech can make a good hire instead of a splashy hire, and the ACC needs them to do just that.

Channing
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I would look for Paul Hewitt to be fired after this season. I think Chan Gailey's contract finally comes off the books this year, and Tech absolutely couldn't afford to pay two football and two basketball coaches at the same time.

Mark Price may not have college coaching experience, but I believe he coaches, or coached, a Georgia high school from mediocrity to state level dominance (Whitfield Academy), but I am not sure.

JasonEvans
01-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Mark Price may not have college coaching experience, but I believe he coaches, or coached, a Georgia high school from mediocrity to state level dominance (Whitfield Academy), but I am not sure.

Yup, Price took a horrid Whitefield team (7 wins the year before he arrived) and made them into a 27-5 club that almost made the state Final Four. He was a head coach in Australia, but it did not work out because the owner wanted to eventually make local star Shane Heal into a player-coach and Heal and Price clashed often. Pirce left Aussie and has been a fixture in the NBA, on the staff of the Grizzlies, Hawks, and Warriors for the past 5 years or so. He is known as a brilliant shooting coach, credited with improving Rajon Rando's shot, and he runs a shooting academy that many NBA players attend.

He was an assistant at Tech under Bobby Cremins for one season in the late 90s. He has no other college experience other than that. Still, he has amazing NBA connections (which will help him in pitching recruits) and clearly has a great grasp on the game. It would be ideal if he were on a college bench right now building his resume, but I still think he would be a very successful coach at Ga Tech.

It also matters that they would not have to break the bank to get him. If Tech buys out Hewitt, they will be somewhat cash strapped. That makes it much harder to lure an up-and-coming or established coach away from another program.

Plus, Price remains the most beloved Tech player of all time. He would excite the fan base and probably help season ticket sales quite a bit.

--Jason "who else is Tech gonna hire without breaking the bank?" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Yup, Price took a horrid Whitefield team (7 wins the year before he arrived) and made them into a 27-5 club that almost made the state Final Four. He was a head coach in Australia, but it did not work out because the owner wanted to eventually make local star Shane Heal into a player-coach and Heal and Price clashed often. Pirce left Aussie and has been a fixture in the NBA, on the staff of the Grizzlies, Hawks, and Warriors for the past 5 years or so. He is known as a brilliant shooting coach, credited with improving Rajon Rando's shot, and he runs a shooting academy that many NBA players attend.

I'm not sure if I'd want to be credited with improving Rondo's shot, which actually hasn't improved that much at all. He is shooting 31% from deep and 47% from the line. During Celtics games, opposing guards are still giving him at least 3 feet, daring him to shoot the ball.

Rondo is one of my favorite players in the NBA due to his defense and focus of getting his teammates the ball. He's an All-Star and will only get better, but his jump shot is, at best, still suspect.

devilsadvocate85
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
The reality is that unless Paul Hewitt does something horrible (dead woman or live boy?) that allows Ga Tech to fire him for cause, this is a lifetime contract. The effect of it is that Tech will have to pay Hewitt the $7 mill buyout... someday!

Why not do it now and actually improve the program?

Of course, the problem is raising that $7 mill. Tech is not in strong financial shape - it is a public school, one of the best public engineering schools in the country but still a public school. There are some alums/boosters with money, for sure, but would any of them be willing to fork over the millions it will cost to get rid of the basketball coach?

It really comes down to the money. I think the powers-that-be at Tech know the programs needs a change. But only they know if they have the money to pull it off.

Possibly relevant piece of info. I believe that Tech's coaches are employed by the GTAA (Georgia Tech Athletic Association), which is a private entity and not by the public University of Georgia system. Whether that makes a buyout easier or more difficult is up for debate.

hurleyfor3
01-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll get the story wrong, but I think he signed it after his first/only miracle run in the FF his first or second year. It's a seven year deal that automatically adds another year to the end each March. Crazy stupid contract.

That's the same deal Jim Valvano had, although I think V's was a perpetual four-deal yeal. After what happened at State, I do agree it's too great a risk.

gus
01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Possibly relevant piece of info. I believe that Tech's coaches are employed by the GTAA (Georgia Tech Athletic Association), which is a private entity and not by the public University of Georgia system. Whether that makes a buyout easier or more difficult is up for debate.

Here's the contract:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12695201/Paul-Hewitt-Contract-Georgia-Tech-basketball

I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if there aren't some "outs" available for GT.

First a question for actual lawyers: Section 12e states: "This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the successors and assigns of the Association and Hewitt."

This clause quashed my first thought: that the GTAA needs to be folded up. But I don't understand the reference to Heweitt here. Is that typical for an employment contract- that benefits and obligations inure to the employee too? What does that mean practically?

What would constitute "(2) Failure by Hewitt to substantially perform all of the material and substantive duties as set forth in this Agreement"? Would failure to perform a few of the 25 duties listed mean he's failed to substantially perform?

What if the GTAA is folded? I assume the university would inherit the obligations of the contract. But if the state made permanent contracts for state institutions illegal, the university as a successor could no longer honor the contract. How many GT alums are in the state legislature?

Reading this contract, I'm really shocked. That's some poor negotiating by the university. Who gives high value, permanent contracts?

wilson
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
The clamor from the torch-and-pitchfork crowd continues to grow. Hewitt's ineptitude was the lead topic on the lunchtime show on Atlanta's lead sports radio station today, with hosts and callers alike calling for his head.
I'd say Hewitt's probably sweating by now, but I don't suppose he's sweating at all, considering that if/when he gets canned, he's got 7 million clams headed his way.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Here's the contract:

I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if there aren't some "outs" available for GT.

First a question for actual lawyers: Section 12e states: "This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the successors and assigns of the Association and Hewitt."

This clause quashed my first thought: that the GTAA needs to be folded up. But I don't understand the reference to Heweitt here. Is that typical for an employment contract- that benefits and obligations inure to the employee too? What does that mean practically?

What would constitute "(2) Failure by Hewitt to substantially perform all of the material and substantive duties as set forth in this Agreement"? Would failure to perform a few of the 25 duties listed mean he's failed to substantially perform?

What if the GTAA is folded? I assume the university would inherit the obligations of the contract. But if the state made permanent contracts for state institutions illegal, the university as a successor could no longer honor the contract. How many GT alums are in the state legislature?

Reading this contract, I'm really shocked. That's some poor negotiating by the university. Who gives high value, permanent contracts?

Assignment: There is a non-assignment clause a few down from the one you cited, noting that it is a personal service contract to Hewitt and he cannot assign. I think the (sloppy) language you quoted is meant to impart that if the Association assigns the contract, it is binding on both the Association's assignee and Hewitt. That's the only thing I can rationally think it is intended to say. But it is poorly written.

Re: failure to perform -- I think he's doing all that is required under the contract. He runs a clean program. For better or worse, my scan did not see any performance measurement. I did think the incentive clauses were interesting, especially the NIT ones. I'm betting that K doesn't have that in his contract (nor Roy, for that matter, but who knows).

Re: GTAA -- is the football coach's contract under that too? That would make folding it up dicey. BTW, I do not think there are too many GT alums in the legislature -- Go Dawgs, and all of that -- but I think the only way to get rid of Hewitt is to man up and fire him (with the big pay-out), or work out something.

Too bad he didn't take the SJU job last year. Atlanta has to be a very attractive recruiting spot, and there is no reason that GT cannot compete in the top half of the conference consistently.

JasonEvans
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Ok, this is hysterical!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjqMFgopeYU

-Jason "it comes from FireHewitt.com (http://www.firehewitt.com/)" Evans

hurleyfor3
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Re: failure to perform -- I think he's doing all that is required under the contract. He runs a clean program. For better or worse, my scan did not see any performance measurement. I did think the incentive clauses were interesting, especially the NIT ones. I'm betting that K doesn't have that in his contract (nor Roy, for that matter, but who knows).

Wouldn't Roy's contract be a public record? Would probably have to do a FOIA request, as I presume was done to obtain Hewitt's contract.

From my Chronicle days I recall it was possible to obtain salary information on at least some professors and administrators at Duke, even though we're private -- had something to do with the school receiving federal grant money IIRC. You had to go to whatever Allen Building office had it and transcribe it yourself, and it may not have applied to the athletic department, but it was out there.

lawdevil
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Here's the contract:

1. That is typical boilerplate and not inappropriate, although personal service duties cannot be assigned, Hewitt's heirs etc would be entitled to whatever had been earned by perfomrance.

2. The GTAA could not be dissolved in order to avoid obligations under Hewitt's contract. First, the association would have to liquidate all of its assets. Its assets consist of long term leases on the athletic facilities, a large amount of cash and the right to receive ticket revenues and student fees. Furthermore, it has just issued $96 million dollars in revenue bonds for construction of a new basketball arena as well as other athletic facilities. Basically, in order to fold up GTAA, they would have to fold up the enitire athletic program.

mike

camion
01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
1. That is typical boilerplate and not inappropriate, although personal service duties cannot be assigned, Hewitt's heirs etc would be entitled to whatever had been earned by perfomrance.

2. The GTAA could not be dissolved in order to avoid obligations under Hewitt's contract. First, the association would have to liquidate all of its assets. Its assets consist of long term leases on the athletic facilities, a large amount of cash and the right to receive ticket revenues and student fees. Furthermore, it has just issued $96 million dollars in revenue bonds for construction of a new basketball arena as well as other athletic facilities. Basically, in order to fold up GTAA, they would have to fold up the enitire athletic program.

mike

Could the GTAA spend $7M of that $96M to renovate the coaching position?

Indoor66
01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Could the GTAA spend $7M of that $96M to renovate the coaching position?

I would imagine that such an expenditure would upset the bond holders.

wilson
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I would imagine that such an expenditure would upset the bond holders.More than a shiny, new, empty arena, owing to a poor coach and declining program? This very scenario is a popular topic of hypothetical conversation in Atlanta right now.

Olympic Fan
01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I read somewhere (I can't find the link) that Georgia Tech will still owe Chan Gailey $900,000 next year ... there was some speculation that until Gailey is paid off, they couldn't afford to fire Hewitt.

In addition (as Bradley notes), Alexander will be closed next season for a massive renovation and the Jackets will split games between Phillips Arena and a facility in Gwinnett County. Do they really want to subject a new coach to that?

The thinking is that Hewitt would get the rest of this year and the next, but that if things don't turn around, he'll be fired after the 2011-12 season and the new coach would be able to open his tenure in the new Alexander Coliseum.

Not sure ... I was also told by someone who knows Hewitt that the coach is not happy with the way his program has spun out of control and with the lack of support and that he would be willing to negotiate a more reasonable buyout. He would lose money, but avoid the stigma of coaching the program all the way into the ground (they are going to be TERRIBLE next year -- Miller is the only senior who plays, but Shumpert is a lock to go pro and a couple of underclassmen will almost certainly tranfer out). Tech would still have to pay a bundle, but maybe not the full $7-8 million buyout.

I agree that Tech's decline is one of the big reasons that the ACC is slipping. Okay, Miami, FSU, Clemson and Va Tech are football schools, but Georgia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest and Virginia are all programs that have had success in the past and should be better than they are.

Finally, I'm not sure a program as down as Georgia Tech can afford to gamble on an unproven coach as Mark Price. Yeah, he's beloved by the Tech faithful and would ramp up interest, but how long would that love last if he underperformers (see Matt Doherty, Sidney Lowe ...)? Yeah, he has pro connections, but so do Sidney Lowe and Jeff Bzdelik, who were both head coaches in the NBA. How has that worked out?

Hiring the right guy is hard. But after the Hewitt mistake, Georgia Tech can't afford to be swayed by sentiment.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I would imagine that such an expenditure would upset the bond holders.

Not if they're revenue bonds!

Indoor66
01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
More than a shiny, new, empty arena, owing to a poor coach and declining program? This very scenario is a popular topic of hypothetical conversation in Atlanta right now.

I would imagine that the bond indenture has specific uses for the proceeds of the bond sale.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
"Investing in GT basketball" = "junk bond"

striker219
03-12-2011, 09:59 PM
In light of todays news it seemed like a relevant time to revive this thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209623

In the end, the financial impact of a half-filled arena for Georgia Tech's home games overwhelmed the $7.2 million buyout Hewitt will be paid over five years.

Wow.

Newton_14
03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
In light of todays news it seemed like a relevant time to revive this thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209623

Wow.

It is already being discussed in the coaching carousel thread. I am closing this one.