PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs BC pre-game and in-game thread

devildeac
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I swear I looked and didn't see one of these yet (:eek:) outside of the TV discussion thread. Discuss.

gam7
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
About 26 hours until game time and I didn't see a BC thread.

BC has been one of the ACC's few positive surprises, although the Eagles have lost to both Yale and Harvard at home this year (when was the last time that happened to an ACC school in a season).

After starting out the season 10-2, the Eagles have gone 4-4 over their last eight games, and currently sit at 4-2 in the conference. BC likes to play slowly: their tempo ranked 292 in Division I. But, they are extremely efficient. In fact, Pomeroy ranks their offense 5th in the country, even head of Duke's. is rankedhas been more efficient this year than Duke's. Fortunately their defense is terribly inefficient, ranked 233.

The offense is led by familiar names: Reggie "Mr. October" Jackson (19.1 ppg), Joe Trapani (14.2), and Corey Raji (12.2), who is coming off of the bench in most games.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

loran16
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I swear I looked and didn't see one of these yet (:eek:) outside of the TV discussion thread. Discuss.

This game can in fact turn into a mirror of the FSU game if we're not careful (except it's at Cameron). Like FSU, BC exceeds at one aspect of the game, though it's offense not defense. Against FSU, Duke didn't take advantage of their edge against FSU's O, allowing FSU to score too many points.

Against BC, similarly, Duke can't fail to take advantage of BC's horrid D....there should be a lot of points scored here, but this should be one in which Duke should be able to win, due to facing a horrid defense. But well, Duke's other game against a team with a pretty good O and bad D was against Miami, and we had some issues there. BC is more extreme than Miami (and doesn't rely on O-boarding)...but Duke needs to show dominance on the offensive end.

watzone
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Here are five questions for Nolan Smith which he answered about an hour ago where he calls the BC game a must win - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/five-questions-for-duke-senior-nolan-smith/

wilson
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I just hope the game is over in time for me to watch the new episode of Jersey Shore.
Just kidding.
Mostly.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Here are five questions for Nolan Smith which he answered about an hour ago where he calls the BC game a must win - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/five-questions-for-duke-senior-nolan-smith/

Thanks, watzone. Good stuff, as always.

We're going as far as Nolan and Kyle can will us this year. And I am comfortable with that. Two great warriors and leaders.

airowe
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
A BC perspective: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/01/26/duke-bc-qa-with-bc-interruption/

A Duke perspective: http://www.bcinterruption.com/2011/1/26/1953956/boston-college-vs-duke-preview-with-duke-hoop-blog

All the viewing info you could need to know: http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php/ACC-Information/2011-acc-basketball-match-center-boston-college-at-duke.html

watzone
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks, watzone. Good stuff, as always.

We're going as far as Nolan and Kyle can will us this year. And I am comfortable with that. Two great warriors and leaders.

Thanks. Here is an article somewhat realted about the stretch run. http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/the-stretch-run-is-here-for-the-2010-11-duke-blue-devils/

DukieInBrasil
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Corey Raji's brother, BJ is gonna be playing in the Super Bowl with the Packers. That's pretty cool.

Duvall
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Corey Raji's brother, BJ is gonna be playing in the Super Bowl with the Packers. That's pretty cool.

Be pretty funny if the Crazies performed BJ's, ah, interesting touchdown celebration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mto_4prMEE&feature=related) if Corey gets to the line tomorrow night.

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
We know that Nolan's dad was a pro athlete, Kyle's brother is a scholarship athlete at Oregon, Kyrie's dad was a scholarship athlete in the NCAA (did he play pro too?) and that the Plumlees come from an uber-athletic family (none of them were pros though?). A couple of years ago G's dad was also a former NBA athlete and even a few years before that Grant Hill's dad was a pro wide receiver for the Cowboys. Shelden's dad was an NCAA scholarship athlete and SW is now married to a pro WNBA star.
How many other inter-family athletic connections on the Duke team can we come up with?
How many other family athletic connections can we come up with for players on Duke's opponents' teams?

Zeb
01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Any tips for non-North Carolina based fans who want to see the game on TV? I don't get Raycom.

kmspeaks
01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Any tips for non-North Carolina based fans who want to see the game on TV? I don't get Raycom.

Here are a few. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23998-Duke-vs.-BC-game-not-on-tv&highlight=game+ESPN3

Dukefan03
01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
From DBR preview: "Unlike Skinner’s flex offense, which featured some amazing interior passing but which was slow and not particularly entertaining, Donahue has installed a fast-paced offense featuring a lot of three-point shots."

Not actually true. BC is 291st in Adjusted Tempo this year out of 345 D-1 teams. Donahue may aspire to a faster pace, but right now his team plays more like Wisconsin than UNC or Missouri.

MulletMan
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm actually relieved that Skinner is gone and that BC is now looking to play faster. We seemed to continually have difficulty defending the flex offense (and still do... see Maryland game), and for some reason, though we knew what Skinner was going to run, it always gave our defenders fits. This is probably based on the difficulty of switching on the two high post screens that were often set in such a tight area, but I always became frustrated as we failed to defend what we knew was coming.

In any case, we should win this game in a walk IF we don't fall in love with the three early. We put up 92 points at State while only making 7 3s. Hopefully that will make the team realize that they don't need to bomb all night to score. As several posters have pointed out above, BC's defense is pretty horrid. Drive, drive, drive. Once they start preventing easy access to the rim, start looking to kick. Inside out against this team.

And let's see if Dre's attitude improves from the State game and his minutes come back up.

davekay1971
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Hopefully we'll do just what Mulletman suggested and try to get into the lane and get the Plumbros going...they should have an advantage against BC. I'm also excited to see if RK can keep up the high level of play (thought I think another perfect shooting game might be asking a bit much).

From Watzone's article: I hate thinking of Nolan and Kyle being almost done at Cameron. I get that feeling every year when great seniors are getting close to the end of their Duke careers, but it's particularly strong with those two. I hope Nolan and Kyle have the pleasure of going undefeated at Carmeron for their senior year. We'll certainly enjoy watching them try.

JMarley50
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Hopefully we'll do just what Mulletman suggested and try to get into the lane and get the Plumbros going...they should have an advantage against BC. I'm also excited to see if RK can keep up the high level of play (thought I think another perfect shooting game might be asking a bit much).

From Watzone's article: I hate thinking of Nolan and Kyle being almost done at Cameron. I get that feeling every year when great seniors are getting close to the end of their Duke careers, but it's particularly strong with those two. I hope Nolan and Kyle have the pleasure of going undefeated at Carmeron for their senior year. We'll certainly enjoy watching them try.

This is going to be a huge game for our post guys. I feel like if they are able to add one more game to the string of good games they've started, it will take their confidence to the level it needs to be. I think Coach K may have touched on this in an interview, but another good game would prove to them that they can be successful and play at a very high level, versus them believing they just had one or two good games.

As Mulletman also mentioned, I am very curious to see how Dre' responds (if he's not still being punished). I imagine he hasn't had the easiest week in practice after his negative reaction on the bench last game. Hopefully we'll see him play with some fire, and not with the pouty attitude we've seen before.

dukelifer
01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
We know that Nolan's dad was a pro athlete, Kyle's brother is a scholarship athlete at Oregon, Kyrie's dad was a scholarship athlete in the NCAA (did he play pro too?) and that the Plumlees come from an uber-athletic family (none of them were pros though?). A couple of years ago G's dad was also a former NBA athlete and even a few years before that Grant Hill's dad was a pro wide receiver for the Cowboys. Shelden's dad was an NCAA scholarship athlete and SW is now married to a pro WNBA star.
How many other inter-family athletic connections on the Duke team can we come up with?
How many other family athletic connections can we come up with for players on Duke's opponents' teams?

I am sure Carolina has had a bunch- Larry Drew's dad in NBA, Ed Davis's dad in NBA, Rick Fox's mom an Olympic high jumper, JR Reid's dad played in NFL all come to mind.

CBDUKE
01-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Seth Curry! Dad was a star at Va. Tech and a long time NBA player.

wilson
01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Seth Curry! Dad was a star at Va. Tech and a long time NBA player.Didn't Gary Melchionni play in the NBA for a minute too?

DukeGirl4ever
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I just hope the game is over in time for me to watch the new episode of Jersey Shore.
Just kidding.
Mostly.

I think this is the episode Sammi punches Ronnie so you better not miss it! ;)
Another guilty pleasure of mine...watch that show so I can laugh at other people's drama and not cry at my own!

Let's pray Duke game is over so we can watch it - hahah!

MChambers
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
BC likes a slow tempo; we don't. BC shoots a lot of threes; we don't give up many. BC is weak on the boards, so let's hope we can clear the boards and start running. BC rarely turns the ball over; we do a respectable (not great) job of forcing turnovers. BC doesn't play its bench a lot, but its backcourt could get tired tonight.

airowe
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
BC likes a slow tempo; we don't. BC shoots a lot of threes; we don't give up many. BC is weak on the boards, so let's hope we can clear the boards and start running. BC rarely turns the ball over; we do a respectable (not great) job of forcing turnovers. BC doesn't play its bench a lot, but its backcourt could get tired tonight.

We don't give up a lot of three pointers, but we do give up a high percentage of those being made. We actually rank 150th in the country at 3-point percentage defense at 33.9%.

KenPom.com (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke)

dukelifer
01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
We don't give up a lot of three pointers, but we do give up a high percentage of those being made. We actually rank 150th in the country at 3-point percentage defense at 33.9%.

I have not been overly impressed by Duke's perimeter D and this stat is consistent with that. Nolan is a capable defender but has a million other things to do. This is the main reason why Thornton is important. His is a solid and pesky defender and can help force bad decisions by the opposing guards. Duke does a decent job of getting turnovers by disrupting passing lanes. Still Duke's D is not quite up to the Duke standard- which is pretty high. Duke needs to get the bigs involved and limit turnovers. Jackson is a handful- but Duke should be able to wear out BC- lets hope.

MChambers
01-27-2011, 05:20 PM

I glossed over that, didn't I? It's an interesting weakness, and I expect it is one the coaches are examining closely. Still, it's not so critical if you don't give up many threes.

loran16
01-27-2011, 05:27 PM

The question of course is, how much of that is Duke's fault? Duke denies 3 point opportunities....so perhaps the higher percentage this year is because opponents are simply making open shots instead of missing them? There is an element of opponent skill that Duke can't control.

BC will be an interesting test, as they'll likely force up 3s rather than wait for opportunities.

strawbs
01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
anybody else not seeing a link for the game on espn3.com?

riverside6
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
live tempo-based stats for the Duke/BC game here, starters are posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7032

JayBean
01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
live tempo-based stats for the Duke/BC game here, starters are posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7032

Seth Curry getting the start? He must have done well in practice.

cptnflash
01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Seth Curry getting the start? He must have done well in practice.

And Andre had his worst game of the year last time out. Was ineffective on O, terrible on D, got pulled, and sulked on the bench the entire second half. I'm hoping it's just temporary and he has a bounce back game tonight.

cptnflash
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I should have added that I actually like this matchup quite a bit. For some reason I think this is the game where we finally get our act together and win a conference game at home by 20+ points. BC has some margin for error thanks to their hot start so it's not a must win for them like it is for us (Nolan was right, all of our remaining home games are absolute must wins if we're going to get a #1 seed). Plus, I like our chances with Coach K having four full days to game plan against a one dimensional team.

And here's hoping Mason continues his recent stretch of solid play. We need ya kid! :)

vabombers
01-27-2011, 08:11 PM
According to the guide on television it's scheduled. And ESPN3 has the game blacked out because of the primary rights to Raycom in the area. So where is the game? Anyone know why it wouldn't be on?

DukeGirl4ever
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
The quality on ESPN3.com isn't the greatest, but I'm thankful for it.
However, I'm sitting here wondering why BC wore their GOLD colored uniform? I can barely tell the difference between the jerseys!

CLW
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Kelly off to another HOT start.

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Kelly off to another HOT start.

It seems like there was quite a bit of conversation about one (or both) of the Plumlees having a breakthrough like Zoubek did last year, and how good it would be for us...funny, how it seems to be Kelly that's putting it all together. And, as the Plums continue to improve..

Greg_Newton
01-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Well, at least we're attacking the rim...

How about Miles getting four deflections on three straight possessions, including three steals (if you include the jump ball)? Nice defensive awareness by him today.

I also actually really like his post move a couple minutes ago, even though it led to a missed shot - it was aggressive and intuitive, and got him very near the rim.

And omg Kelly.

ETA: Spoke too soon, Miles...

_Gary
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately we continue to be Jekyll & Hyde on offense. We are struggling to get quality shots. Nothing has really changed in terms of how much we miss Kyrie. Nolan, bless his heart, just isn't a PG and we really have a difficult time without a solid facilitator.

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
I wish Miles could get that little hook shot to go in...either that, or give it up and find a teammate to pass to. Great job, though on the steals. Both teams a little sloppy and not protecting the ball well.

CLW
01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately we continue to be Jekyll & Hyde on offense. We are struggling to get quality shots. Nothing has really changed in terms of how much we miss Kyrie. Nolan, bless his heart, just isn't a PG and we really have a difficult time without a solid facilitator.

Yeah we look a little ragged early (which is becoming our M.O.). We are also forcing some shots down low when they aren't really there. Thankfully, Kelly is continuing his HOT streak.

_Gary
01-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Great block and kick out by Mason. Love seeing Curry's first shot go down!!!

_Gary
01-27-2011, 08:35 PM
We are really getting burned on these back-doors.

dukebluelemur
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
So many wide open dunks... man, it looked like Kelly actually held Nolan back on that last one so Kelly's man had a wide open lane to the bucket.

CLW
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
How many clock problems are there in an average game at CIS? It seems like there is always 2-3 clock problems.

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 08:50 PM
As ragged as we've looked at times, these are some of the best shooting averages we've had in the first half in a while. Sometimes I have to remind myself that each shot isn't a life-or-death situation, and I shouldn't expect every one to go in.

CLW
01-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Kelly is THE MAN!

mr. synellinden
01-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Kelly is THE MAN!

You know the rule when someone is pitching a perfect game?

Let's not talk about it.

heyman25
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Kelly is THE MAN!

Kelly is our best shooter. Kyle hasn't been hot this season except his homecoming game in Portland

pfrduke
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Good half. Not a great half, but a good one. For all the complaints about offensive jitters, the offense is doing just fine. If we can just play a little more organized on defense (e.g., fewer wide open dunks), we should be able to salt this one away.

dukeimac
01-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Kelly is THE MAN!

The guy is hot, but remember... he will come back to earth!

Saratoga2
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Let's not talk about it.

11 points in 10 minutes, 30 points in the next 10 minutes. Everyone not named Kelly scored 4 points in the first 10 minutes and of course they took a large number of shots. We sure can come out cold.

All of a sudden, it looked like BC caught fire. Is it some combination of players that Made Raji catch fire. I notice Curry came into the game but other than that didn't notice much on game tracker. Can anyone shed some light?

CLW
01-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Let's not talk about it.

I was referring to his 3 blocks but way to jinx the kid. :p

The guy is hot, but remember... he will come back to earth!

Zoubs would beg to differ.

_Gary
01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Good half. Not a great half, but a good one. For all the complaints about offensive jitters, the offense is doing just fine. If we can just play a little more organized on defense (e.g., fewer wide open dunks), we should be able to salt this one away.

I think we only had 11 points in the first ten minutes of the half so some of the concerns about the offense were legit. Obviously we caught fire which made the situation look a lot better. I imagine the truth about our offense is somewhere in the middle.

Agreed about the defense. If we shore that up we should be fine in the 2nd half.

JBDuke
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Ryan is 5-5 so far, which means his consecutive FG string is up to 18. The Duke record is 20, held by Alaa Abdelnaby in 1989.

NashvilleDevil
01-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Ryan is 5-5 so far, which means his consecutive FG string is up to 18. The Duke record is 20, held by Alaa Abdelnaby in 1989.

Jinxed

CLW
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
What's wrong with Kelly? :confused:

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Now, THAT'S the way to start a half!

Acymetric
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Jinxed

Extremely

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
No points from the bench (yet)

CLW
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Maybe it's me but Andre looks to have some confidence issues right now. His body language just doesn't look right to me.

dairedevil
01-27-2011, 09:35 PM
curry is on fire! a little success brings confidence, which brings more success.. the basket gets bigger and bigger!

taiw93
01-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Is it just me, or is Nolan looking like a true point guard tonight? This is the best judgment I've ever seen him exercise as to when to pass, when to drive, and when to shoot a jumper, and the best vision I've ever seen him exercise as well.

MChambers
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
What's wrong with Kelly? :confused:
He's taking too many threes!

basket1544
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Can anyone tell what the crowd was chanting about Curry there before the timeout?

Greg_Newton
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
You just can't let Nolan get that second dribble when he's driving. FSU had about every player on the floor ready to slap at the ball after Nolan took his first dribble, which is the only way to stop him. He's gotten so, so good at turning the corner with his second dribble and finishing at the rim.

Ping Lin
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Can anyone tell what the crowd was chanting about Curry there before the timeout?

"Number 30", it sounded like.

CLW
01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Mason's free throws just look like they have no hope of going in. I'm surprised he's shooting 40% from the stripe for the season.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I am very curious about what is up with Jackson.

CLW
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I am very curious about what is up with Jackson.

That was sort of :confused: to me. Perhaps an attitude/dog house issue?