PDA

View Full Version : UNC Plane Scare

DukeBlueNV
01-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Crazy story! Glad they are safe.

http://bit.ly/gKO6Yu

oldnavy
01-26-2011, 06:19 AM
The most scared I have ever been on a plane ride was landing in Dutch Harbor, AK, coming from Adak, AK on an small regional airline named MarkAir when I was stationed at NAS Adak in the early 90's. The strip was cut out of the side of a mountain and about 1000 feet to short for the size of the jet we were on. Several folks were crying and even more were cursing the pilots. I had been warned not to take that flight back to the main land. I should have listened, they eventually stopped that leg of the trip because of all the complaints and safety issues. I have flown around the world at least 6 times and this was the worst flight by far!!

moonpie23
01-26-2011, 06:26 AM
glad that they are OK...

i've been on some scary rides......one trip i was on to LaGuardia, the AIR SOUTH plane touched town, the brakes locked as soon as the pilot touched them and we skidded for about half the runway, (getting a little sideways). everyone was screaming and stuff was being thrown around the cabin......

then suddenly at the end of the skid, the brakes unlocked and the plane straightened up. The pilot came on the intercom and said "welcome to NY. The local time is blah blah blah and the temp is a sunny 28 degrees."

totally ignored it.......

Hancock 4 Duke
01-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Oh man, my sister was flying across the country to come see the fam, and her plane had lost one of the 4 engines, but it was able to run on 3, but then the 3rd engine went out and it would have taken them an hour more to get here, and something else went wrong and the 2nd engine blew out, and it took them almost 3 more hours to get here. Glad it was able to run on one engine. If that fourth one blew out, it would have taken her FOREVER to get here!;)

lotusland
01-26-2011, 07:36 AM
They should have moved Roy's ego to center of the plane to stabilize it:D

DukeGirl4ever
01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
I can't access the link you posted because it's blocked at work.
When I went to ESPN.com to read about the UNC plane issue, I found nothing for UNC.
I did, however, find UMASS had plane issues.

Did you get the names mixed up?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6058993

-jk
01-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Try this (www.foxsportssouth.com/01/25/11/Tar-Heels-have-mid-air-thriller-/landing_acc.html?blockID=397915&feedID=4354) link.

(Folks, please just put the real link in posts - there's no need to shorten them.)

-jk

DukeGirl4ever
01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Try this (www.foxsportssouth.com/01/25/11/Tar-Heels-have-mid-air-thriller-/landing_acc.html?blockID=397915&feedID=4354) link.

(Folks, please just put the real link in posts - there's no need to shorten them.)

-jk

How odd that they both had issues?
Thanks for that link.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Glad they made it, that's no fun. White knuckle flights can shake you up.

"Those engines don't look good. How far do you think they'll take us?"

"All the way to the crash site."

jdj4duke
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Oh really now. Just some "normal" turbulence. Nobody bounced off the ceiling, no beverage carts flying down the aisle, and no precipitous altitude loss. Were there refs on board to call foul on the elements?

Thank goodness that they could tweet and make a story out of it. And I thought that phones had to be shut off during flights. I guess charters are exempt.

DevilWearsPrada
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for posting that! As much as I don't like Unc athletics..... it has nothing to do with the safety of the players and staff. Glad the pilots landed safely in Miami. I did enjoy reading the Twitter remarks from the basketball players. Especially, what Larry DrewII said: Makes you wanna change your life.

Thank God for the safe landing of the airplane in Miami. I would never wish or hope anything bad on those kids, ever. I am sure, those players will reflect, and it may change something in their life, that they needed to change. God does work in so many ways. One of those players, may graduate from Unc, and then go to Duke Divinity School. You Never Know!!!!

weezie
01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh swell. Posts about bad plane rides. Just the thing for a nervous flyer like me. Anybody ever fly the mainland Chinese airlines? Holy Smokes, pure terror.

I've often wondered about the amount of flying teams have to do.
I never thought I'd think "poor tarholes" and not be sarcastic about it.

weezie
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I now hope that Miami beats the holes 'till they can't walk.

Walk home?! :D

Grey Devil
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I grew up in Florida and lived there much of my life. The tropical thunderstorms there can be terrifying at times, even when you are on the ground and inside. Most of my family live there so I still go back often. I've been through several quite memorable flights like that in both large and small planes. (Just a couple years ago my wife and I had a similar experience flying into Tampa.) You can get quite shaken, mentally as well as physically, when you experience a ride like that.

I wouldn't wish something like that on (well, even) a Tarheel. :cool:

Grey Devil

77devil
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Oh swell. Posts about bad plane rides. Just the thing for a nervous flyer like me. Anybody ever fly the mainland Chinese airlines? Holy Smokes, pure terror.

I've often wondered about the amount of flying teams have to do.
I never thought I'd think "poor tarholes" and not be sarcastic about it.

China Southern from Shanghai to Guangzhou. First and last. There was fluid dripping from an engine. If I'd seen it before boarding, I wouldn't have.

I've had lot's of white knuckle experiences including bad weather landings in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, where the end of the runway is at cliffs edge, and the old in the city airports in Hong Kong and Sao Paulo. Bad weather landings at Miami International are tame by comparison.

Former Governor Rendell recently called us a nation of wussies. He's right. Heavy turbulence landing in Miami? Get over it Heels.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Glad everyone's okay. But now the real questions...

Did Roy find a way to blame the players for the scare?

Did he compare the near-plane crash to any close victories that were almost catastrophes?

Did he try and throw the players under the landing gear?

:cool:

4decadedukie
01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
The most scared I have ever been on a plane ride was landing in Dutch Harbor, AK, coming from Adak, AK on an small regional airline named MarkAir when I was stationed at NAS Adak in the early 90's. The strip was cut out of the side of a mountain and about 1000 feet to short for the size of the jet we were on. Several folks were crying and even more were cursing the pilots. I had been warned not to take that flight back to the main land. I should have listened, they eventually stopped that leg of the trip because of all the complaints and safety issues. I have flown around the world at least 6 times and this was the worst flight by far!!

I spent 18 month on Adak in the very early '70s . . . and I truly understand the perils of Aleutian flying, it is like NOTHING else in the world.

DukeWarhead
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I wonder how long it will take UNC fans to blame the scary flight on Duke-biased refs and accuse the pilots of excessive flopping in the cockpit.

Lord Ash
01-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I always do worry about teams and the like when they travel... between the Sault St Marie Greyhounds (wait, now I am thinking it wasn't the Hounds... who was it?) bus crash some years back, and of course the Marshall crash... you always wish the best, even for hated enemies, no matter how many jokes you might make:)

My worst was a flight where the stewardess directly in front of me buckled in and started praying. I didn't like seeing that.

-bdbd
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I spent 18 month on Adak in the very early '70s . . . and I truly understand the perils of Aleutian flying, it is like NOTHING else in the world.

Was TAD there for 2 months -- arrived at 10PM under bright, sunny skies...
As a pilot, even Adak had an "interesting" landing pattern, where you approach facing straight at some tall mountains, and at last minute you then turn sharp right to line up with the runway. Certainly makes you pay attention!

With my background I've been in some "emergency" situations, nothing horrible though, but am always entertained by my sister who is a white-knuckle flyer --- gasps and looks around desperately at the slightest bump (and digs her finder-nails into the arm of whoever is unlucky enough to sit in the next seat...). ;)

Best advice to keep telling yourself in those scary flying situations: Just remember that the pilots want to live just as much as you do!

:D

P.S. Adak is an incredibly beautiful spot, with bald eagles everywhere, tons of open space for "tundra stomping" (hiking) and great fishing (amazing salmon runs).

77devil
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
China Southern from Shanghai to Guangzhou. First and last. There was fluid dripping from an engine. If I'd seen it before boarding, I wouldn't have.

I've had lot's of white knuckle experiences including bad weather landings in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, where the end of the runway is at cliffs edge, and the old in the city airports in Hong Kong and Sao Paulo. Bad weather landings at Miami International are tame by comparison.

Former Governor Rendell recently called us a nation of wussies. He's right. Heavy turbulence landing in Miami? Get over it Heels.

Found this video of a landing at Tegucigalpa and this is in good weather. Ignore the video title, the landing is a standard approach into Toncontin International. You can't see it well, but there is a fatal drop off at the end of the runway and a refinery below. Not for the faint of heart.

I spoke to the pilots once and the co-pilot has his/her hands on the throttles the entire time ready to gun them for an abort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXj65a0490Y&feature=related

oldnavy
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Was TAD there for 2 months -- arrived at 10PM under bright, sunny skies...
As a pilot, even Adak had an "interesting" landing pattern, where you approach facing straight at some tall mountains, and at last minute you then turn sharp right to line up with the runway. Certainly makes you pay attention!

With my background I've been in some "emergency" situations, nothing horrible though, but am always entertained by my sister who is a white-knuckle flyer --- gasps and looks around desperately at the slightest bump (and digs her finder-nails into the arm of whoever is unlucky enough to sit in the next seat...). ;)

Best advice to keep telling yourself in those scary flying situations: Just remember that the pilots want to live just as much as you do!

:D

P.S. Adak is an incredibly beautiful spot, with bald eagles everywhere, tons of open space for "tundra stomping" (hiking) and great fishing (amazing salmon runs).

Adak is beautiful when you can see it. Foggy, raining or snowing most of the time. Nice that you had a sunny day when you got there. We heard the stories of how bad the weather was before we got there, and the first two days the sun was out and the wind was pretty calm. We thought, this isn't so bad, then we got the real deal for TWO YEARS!!! Good times, good friends, worst weather on the planet.

Thurber Whyte
01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
My father was on, I think, a DC-6 in the late 1940s. While the plane was at cruising altitude, he looked out the window and saw one of the 4 engines shut down. He was a former military pilot so he knew that it was not a good thing, but not a huge danger. Multiple engines on a plane are primarily a redundancy. For instance, with a two engine plane, the loss of an engine does not mean a 50% loss of power. It only means a 10-15% loss of power. (If you lose 3 engines on a 4 engine plane as Hancock’s sister did, well . . . that might be a problem.) The prop was feathered and there was no fire or leaking fluids. He did not say anything to his traveling companions so as not to cause a panic. A stewardess saw him looking out the window and they just nodded to each other. However, later in the flight, the cat was out of the bag when another passenger stood up and shouted, “Hey, you cheap _____s, turn that engine back on!”

rasputin
01-26-2011, 12:11 PM
In the ESPN story about the UMass plane scare, it references the fact that tomorrow (January 27) is the 10 year anniversary of the plane crash that killed 10 people in the Oklahoma State traveling party, including 2 players.

wilko
01-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm glad the players didn't get hurt.
I wouldn't be surprised if Roy starts chartering a 2nd plane just for him, to distance himself from the incident.. "I am not a Pilot.."

However, I'd prolly be OK if a plane-load of their most obnoxious fans bit it...

It is one step closer to my dream however....
That all UNC players wake up in the middle of the night screaming "NO I shouldn't have gone to UNC" covered in sweat and regret. Bad game, bad practice, bad test, bad taco, bad fish, bad plane ride... whatever achieves this end, I'll support.

Just don't want them dead. Maybe after they play the games I'll feel differently...

wilson
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Found this video of a landing at Tegucigalpa and this is in good weather. Ignore the video title, the landing is a standard approach into Toncontin International. You can't see it well, but there is a fatal drop off at the end of the runway and a refinery below. Not for the faint of heart.

I spoke to the pilots once and the co-pilot has his/her hands on the throttles the entire time ready to gun them for an abort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXj65a0490Y&feature=relatedTegucigalpa's airport is indeed pretty terrifying. I've flown in and out of there three times, never uneventfully.

cakerace
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
The most scared I have ever been on a plane ride was landing in Dutch Harbor, AK, coming from Adak... I have flown around the world at least 6 times and this was the worst flight by far!!

As much fun as I've had bouncing around the wilds of Alaska [example: float plane into the Aniakchak caldera], the flight from Kathmandu to Luka, Nepal, tops my list. It shortens the trek to the Everest Base Camp by a few weeks, but it really takes your breathe away:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2007/1/22/163551/923/travel/World's+Most+Dangerous+Airports%3A+Lukla+Airport,+ Nepal,+LUA

SmartDevil
01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh really now. Just some "normal" turbulence. Nobody bounced off the ceiling, no beverage carts flying down the aisle, and no precipitous altitude loss. Were there refs on board to call foul on the elements?

Ah, UNC travels with its own refs, eh? That explains a lot over the years.

jv001
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
In 1978(yeh I'm old) we were on a company trip to Honolulu, Hawaii. Our tour director talked us into taking a tour of 4 the islands. The flights were on 3 old(at least they looked old) propeller planes. The one I was on had no problems, but the one my best friend was on had a scare. On the return to Oahu, his plane's landing gear did not go down so they had to hand crank the landing gear down. But the hand crank was stuck. After kicking and beating on it, they finally got it to go down. On our next trip to Hawaii(1986), we chose not to take the island tour. Go Duke!

alteran
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I did enjoy reading the Twitter remarks from the basketball players. Especially, what Larry DrewII said: Makes you wanna change your life.

NO! Larry Drew, no matter what you do, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE A THING!

ChicagoCrazy84
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
As much fun as I've had bouncing around the wilds of Alaska [example: float plane into the Aniakchak caldera], the flight from Kathmandu to Luka, Nepal, tops my list. It shortens the trek to the Everest Base Camp by a few weeks, but it really takes your breathe away:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2007/1/22/163551/923/travel/World's+Most+Dangerous+Airports%3A+Lukla+Airport,+ Nepal,+LUA

I think this airport is #1 as far as the most dangerous airports are concerned. I watched a show on the Travel channel not long ago about this.

I fly quite a bit and 4 years ago when I was a senior in college I was flying into Moline, IL during a summer internship and during our descent, we got caught in a small microburst. I don't know how it compares to what the UNC team went through, but for about 5 secs I thought it was over. We didn't do any 360's, but we probably dropped a few thousand feet in altitude. After that, I was pretty messed up, but the last 6 months or so I've started to gain the confidence back and board a plane without much stress. It was bad for a while where I would literally have to take muscle relaxers and/or get drunk before I boarded a plane.

So, anyone that thinks the UNC players are wusses because of their reaction to this, its not just them! Im just glad I didn't end up like that United flight in Dallas back in '87. Glad they're all safe!

davekay1971
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
"Ted, the altitude! We're falling, Ted, we're falling! The mountains, Ted, the mountains!"
"What mountains? We're over Iowa!"
"The cornfields, Ted, the cornfields!"

Kfanarmy
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Oh man, my sister was flying across the country to come see the fam, and her plane had lost one of the 4 engines, but it was able to run on 3, but then the 3rd engine went out and it would have taken them an hour more to get here, and something else went wrong and the 2nd engine blew out, and it took them almost 3 more hours to get here. Glad it was able to run on one engine. If that fourth one blew out, it would have taken her FOREVER to get here!;)

that's funny right there

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
that's funny right there

Tell that to George Zipp.

rasputin
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Tell that to George Zipp.

Cue Notre Dame fight song in the background . . .

BD80
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Looks like their hearts jumped out of their bodies, and haven't come back.

Miami with a 16-0 run to take a 18-4 lead. unc=no heart

throatybeard
01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I respect anyone who is scared in such a situation, but it's worth mentioning that you take on far more risk every single time you operate a car going more than about 40 MPH than when you board a plane.

BD80
01-26-2011, 08:20 PM
They should have moved Roy's ego to center of the plane to stabilize it:D

ol' roy wasn't even on the flight. He flew down earlier to do some "recruiting."

Bet he took a private jet.

Is carolina even recruiting anyone in Florida or was it a golf trip?

ncexnyc
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Looks like their hearts jumped out of their bodies, and haven't come back.

Miami with a 16-0 run to take a 18-4 lead. unc=no heart

And the halftime score is?

throatybeard
01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
And the halftime score is?

It's all my fault. Carolina is down 28-14 when I tune in. Then the run.

weezie
01-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks, Senor Throat. For reals, maybe you should take up folkdancing on 'hole game nights.
:eek:

wilson
01-26-2011, 09:00 PM
It's all my fault. Carolina is down 28-14 when I tune in. Then the run.It's actually been a fun second half to watch. Here's hoping the heels can finish sucking it up.

ncexnyc
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I've learned the hard way. Never gloat while the game is still going on. It always comes back to haunt you.

davekay1971
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM

The end will be my fault. I turn it on with the game tied 67-67 and Miami immediately throws the ball out of bounds, with no defensive pressure at all to force the turnover. Then Zeller makes a jump-hook.

Addendum: Laughing my rear off at the announcers. Barnes hits a midrange jumper (like about 15 feet)...nice shot, certainly big at the moment, and Mike Patrick explodes with enthusiasm: "BARNES! What a tough shot! Bumped as he's going up and hits a fallaway 18 footer" Note that he wasn't fading away, didn't appear to be bumped, it was closer than 18 feet...basically it was a nice shot but one that 50 guys in the ACC could have hit. Apparently Patrick is desperately waiting for the Black Falcon to appear...

oldnavy
01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
The end will be my fault. I turn it on with the game tied 67-67 and Miami immediately throws the ball out of bounds, with no defensive pressure at all to force the turnover. Then Zeller makes a jump-hook.

Addendum: Laughing my rear off at the announcers. Barnes hits a midrange jumper (like about 15 feet)...nice shot, certainly big at the moment, and Mike Patrick explodes with enthusiasm: "BARNES! What a tough shot! Bumped as he's going up and hits a fallaway 18 footer" Note that he wasn't fading away, didn't appear to be bumped, it was closer than 18 feet...basically it was a nice shot but one that 50 guys in the ACC could have hit. Apparently Patrick is desperately waiting for the Black Falcon to appear...

Hey, at least Patrick got his name right!

whereinthehellami
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I have done the Dutch Harbor flight a couple of times and it is crazy. Steep descent with high winds and a short runway.

I followed Dutch up with a white knuckle Cessna ride to King Cove an even smaller, more remote island on the Aleutian chain. I sat next to the bush pilot who looked to be about 18 years old. The wind sheer was incredible as we ducked between the mountains to avoid the wind. The pilot was reaching across me to adjust instruments, including the turning on of a prop that went out. I kept looking below for where to go when the plane went down. SCARY.

I spent 3 months at King Cove as a Marine biologist and they used to have a tsunami siren everyday at a set time. I asked how you knew if it was a real tsunami and what are you supposed to do if it is one. One of the guys said that if you hear the siren at any time beside the normal time, start running for the nearest mountain. There is nothing quite like Alaskan emergency measures.

Glad everything turned okay for the UNC players.