PDA

View Full Version : Korie Lucious kicked off team

jennja01
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/27254093

It appears Korie Lucious has been dismissed from the MSU team. Thoughts?

WiJoe
01-25-2011, 11:39 PM
What took so long? Kid's a punk and a drunk.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/big-ten-guru/2010/08/michigan-states-lucious-facing-dui-charges.html

Vincetaylor
01-25-2011, 11:49 PM

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/big-ten-guru/2010/08/michigan-states-lucious-facing-dui-charges.html

Watch what you say. Our all time scoring leader got in trouble for exactly the same thing. I would agree that neither used good judgement and it sounds like that's a recurring theme for Lucious. Def a big blow for an already struggling team.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2011, 11:58 PM

at .09 bac, he may very well have not even felt tipsy, let alone drunk...

WiJoe
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Watch what you say. Our all time scoring leader got in trouble for exactly the same thing. I would agree that neither used good judgement and it sounds like that's a recurring theme for Lucious. Def a big blow for an already struggling team.

had a bad rep as a prep. Apparently has not changed.

Bluedog
01-26-2011, 12:15 AM

The limit for 20-year olds is 0.00. But I understand where you're coming from. However, if you're underage, stupid to drink ANYTHING and drive. It'd be more understandable if he was 21 because then he could simply say he didn't feel impaired. But at 20, it's just stupid. JJ was 22 when it happened for him and he was at 0.11. Got pulled over since he did a U-Turn to avoid an alcohol checkpoint...Not saying his decision was good either, but it was after he already graduated so not much punishment the team could enforce.

Back to the topic at hand, while Lucious has been below expectations this season, it's still a pretty big blow as he certainly had some potential.

Jim3k
01-26-2011, 12:34 AM
As I read the linked article re the DUI, it is dated 8.31.10, meaning last August. Accordingly, I doubt that this is the incident which directly led to his dismissal. It, with whatever happened just now, probably contributed, but there is something new that isn't clear.

lotusland
01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Hurley too right?

weezie
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

That's kind of harsh on a young guy. I'm with some of the others here in thinking about our Duke players who have made mistakes, too. Lucious was so spectacular in last year's run, I was hoping he'd be a mainstay on the msu team. What a shame. Izzo must be exhausted with frustration and worry.

WiJoe
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM
That's kind of harsh on a young guy. I'm with some of the others here in thinking about our Duke players who have made mistakes, too. Lucious was so spectacular in last year's run, I was hoping he'd be a mainstay on the msu team. What a shame. Izzo must be exhausted with frustration and worry.

As I stated in a subsequent post, the guy is from my area and does not have a sterling rep. I've heard the word punk, and from what I've heard, it fits. Averaging 11 points a game in the ncaa tournament is hardly "spectacular".

weezie
01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
As I stated in a subsequent post, the guys is from my area and does not have a sterling rep. I've heard the word punk, and from what I've heard, it fits. Averaging 11 points a game in the ncaa tournament is hardly "spectacular".

I should have specified his performance in the regional finals game, true.

Dev11
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
As I stated in a subsequent post, the guy is from my area and does not have a sterling rep. I've heard the word punk, and from what I've heard, it fits. Averaging 11 points a game in the ncaa tournament is hardly "spectacular".

You have to like this kid, come on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_bcJyAaI4

rhcpflea99
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Poor guy. He will wake up one day and realize he missed out on a great opportunity.

DukeDiva
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM

You know Izzo has to be frustrated watching his team crumble and now the dismissal of Lucious.

monkey
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
You know Izzo has to be frustrated watching his team crumble and now the dismissal of Lucious.

As I did with Roy when he dismissed Graves earlier in the year (coming off the horrendous season of last year), again, I have to give props to Izzo for doing the right thing (though a lot easier giving props to Izzo, who has always seemed like a great coach -- and is not in that ugly color blue). He could probably use Lucious on the court and his season, at least thus far (wait for the usual MSU late season run), has been disappointing after several folks picked them to be FF bound (or even champions).

rasputin
01-26-2011, 12:16 PM

I never count out Izzo's team until they are gone from the tourney.

Cameron
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I never count out Izzo's team until they are gone from the tourney.

While losing a great scorer like Lucious certainly hurts an already hurting team, the above statement is completely true. I'd earnestly consider penciling Tom Izzo's team into the Sweet 16 if it consisted of nothing but a proven point guard and four dentist's chairs.

The guy can flat out coach in March. Probably the best current tournament coach outside of The Legend.

coldriver10
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to clarify a common misconception. The BAC at which a person feels impaired is largely the same throughout the population. A person who is 300 pounds will feel the buzz from alcohol at about the same BAC as one who is 150 pounds...the difference is how many drinks it took to get them there. For a guy who is 180 lbs (I'm guessing around Lucious' weight) 0.08, the BAC at which clinical symptoms are already present, would be about 4 drinks.

This is obviously not including alcoholics who have built up a tolerace to alcohol. I've seen someone with a BAC of 0.42 coherent and totally alert, whereas if I had that high of a BAC, I'd be in a coma or worse.

dukemsu
01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Whoa. Over the line, sir. Lucious has had his problems, but is name calling appropriate?

dukemsu

dukemsu
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm not going to make excuses for Lucious. He was nearly booted after his incident with the DUI, was on thin ice, and obviously did something to fall through.

I don't have the background that WIJoe does in Korie's home area. Lucious did have a checkered reputation as a prep, bouncing between schools. However, he was probably the most well-liked among his teammates, and did some good things in the EL community with schools. It appears he has some serious problems, and I hope he gets them figured out. It's a blow to a Spartan team that really didn't need another one. Appears to be a lost season, and I just hope they make a stand and get to the tournament.

State loses a lot, but has a ton coming and Izzo will have to recharge himself and his program. He appears to have aged 15 years in one year. He didn't help himself with the NBA flirtation and the team has had one problem after another since the Final Four.

dukemsu