PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Notre Dame 56, Pittsburgh 51

moonpie23
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
tyler jr leads the fightin' irish to the win...

CDu
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
5.9 seconds left, Hansbrough of Notre Dame on the line for a 1-and-1 with the Irish up 5. Hansbrough misses, but nobody goes for the ball. It bounds right to Hansbrough, who taps it to himself, and collects it after a bounce. He then realizes that he can dribble time off, and dribbles for a few seconds... until the refs decide that he had committed a double dribble. At this point, 2.9 seconds are left on the clock.

The double dribble call was questionable. His initial touch hadn't established possession. And if he didn't have possession on the initial touch, it wasn't look like a double dribble. But if it was a double dribble, there's no way that 3 seconds should have been run off the clock (because the double dribble would have happened almost immediately). But, despite going back to the scoreboard, no adjustment was made to the time remaining.

Very strange. Not that it mattered much, because it was nearly impossible for Pitt to score 5 points in 5.9 seconds. But still, it seemed kind of weird.

In any case, it was a nice win for the Irish in beating Pitt at Pitt.

Son of Mojo
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I didn't know members of that family could be called for violations in a game.....peculiar.

Gthoma2a
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I didn't know members of that family could be called for violations in a game.....peculiar.

I was kind of surprised myself. I must say that I enjoyed seeing Ben play, though. He did very well, and he showed a lot more than Tyler ever did. I suppose it is the different positions, but he looks so much more smooth/complete. He has the same heart too. Whether I like him or not, I give Tyler credit for having that.

Channing
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I was kind of surprised myself. I must say that I enjoyed seeing Ben play, though. He did very well, and he showed a lot more than Tyler ever did. I suppose it is the different positions, but he looks so much more smooth/complete. He has the same heart too. Whether I like him or not, I give Tyler credit for having that.

Really? Are we talking about the same Tyler Hansbrough? The ACCs all time leading scorer? Who cares if he got calls - he earned it. He was one of the most complete big men the ACC has ever seen. He could score under the basket in a variety of ways and through contact. By the time he graduated he developed a reliable midrange game, and he was always a good free throw shooter.

If I had my choice of playing a team that had TH as their heart or BH as their heart, I would much rather face the latter. I still have nightmares about JJ and Shelden's senior night.

ajgoodfella7
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Is it wrong for me to naturally find myself rooting against Ben Hansbrough even though he hasn't had any effect on my quality of life in general? If so, my bad I just can't help myself.

Gthoma2a
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Really? Are we talking about the same Tyler Hansbrough? The ACCs all time leading scorer? Who cares if he got calls - he earned it. He was one of the most complete big men the ACC has ever seen. He could score under the basket in a variety of ways and through contact. By the time he graduated he developed a reliable midrange game, and he was always a good free throw shooter.

If I had my choice of playing a team that had TH as their heart or BH as their heart, I would much rather face the latter. I still have nightmares about JJ and Shelden's senior night.

Tyler was too herky-jerky for me. His movements just looked like (to me) a dryer filled with boots out there. He would bounce around double dribbling, and his shot looked very awkward to me. He didn't beat anybody off the bounce. His motor kept him in games, but I never found him to be as good as a Boozer or a Shelden Williams technically. I am sure many will disagree, and I am fine with it. I respect what he did, but I was never impressed with his technical mastery of the game.

Grey Devil
01-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Is it wrong for me to naturally find myself rooting against Ben Hansbrough even though he hasn't had any effect on my quality of life in general? If so, my bad I just can't help myself.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Viscerally, I find it hard to pull for him, and, by extension, his team. But then I think about it and realize that I wouldn't want my younger brother held responsible for things I've done, or the way I acted, so I shouldn't judge him accordingly.

Plus, I can root for Notre Dame because Mike Brey is their coach. And in this game especially since they would (and did) add a loss to a team ranked higher than Duke!

Grey Devil

jdj4duke
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Bilas' post game interview with Brey starts out with "I am standing here with the finest coach in Notre Dame history and I know Digger Phelps will agree with me."

Digger will never shut up now.

BD80
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Tyler was too herky-jerky for me. ...

He was not herky-jerky, you just have a trained basketball eye. Everything after his first couple steps seemed out of place to you.

mikegismynewhero
01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
good news is after Ohio St. loses to purdue duke will be back where they belong :D

uh_no
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Tyler was too herky-jerky for me. His movements just looked like (to me) a dryer filled with boots out there. He would bounce around double dribbling, and his shot looked very awkward to me. He didn't beat anybody off the bounce. His motor kept him in games, but I never found him to be as good as a Boozer or a Shelden Williams technically.

I thought you were talking about zoubs for a second....but then I realized it doesn't matter who we're talking about...BECAUSE THEY BOTH LED THEIR TEAMS TO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Cameron
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Not so fast, Nolansmithismyhero. Marcus Hatten and 2003 say hello.

The Johnnies, especially when equipped with talent -- and Dwight Hardy is one of the quicker, more creative scoring point guards in the country -- are a thorny opponent in MSG. The Mecca will be jumping.

Gthoma2a
01-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I thought you were talking about zoubs for a second....but then I realized it doesn't matter who we're talking about...BECAUSE THEY BOTH LED THEIR TEAMS TO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

I agree. That is why the last part of my statement is there. I respect him immensely as a competitor. I was simply saying that I never found him asthetically pleasing. I know it is a minor criticism that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it explained my compliment of Ben. Ben showed some moves that were fluid, and his shot looked nice. I find him asthetically pleasing. Tyler was just that much of a competitor that he would make himself look ugly to get the results. Those awkward movements may have helped him get seperation from defenders and, at times, calls.

Once again, I respect him when he is on that court for his heart, and I acknowledge ability to get things done.

Kfanarmy
01-24-2011, 11:17 PM

If I had my choice of playing a team that had TH as their heart or BH as their heart, I would much rather face the latter. I still have nightmares about JJ and Shelden's senior night. while I agree he has a big heart, I think if TH had been called for half the fouls and travelling violations he committed, he wouldn't have made it through the 1st half of most games. Not sure why his arm flailling drew so many calls, or why he didn't get called for all the pushes and arm grabs he committed, except that ACC officials were so busy watching him bust his butt that they didn't see him cannonballing around fouling the other 9 players on the court. In any case, if its a game in the ACC, I agree with you, if its outside the ACC, TH had a good chance of having his fouls called.

JasonEvans
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Not so fast, Nolansmithismyhero. Marcus Hatten and 2003 say hello.

The Johnnies, especially when equipped with talent -- and Dwight Hardy is one of the quicker, more creative scoring point guards in the country -- are a thorny opponent in MSG. The Mecca will be jumping.

We've got a better-than-expected BC team to deal with first.

And, as I added in the thread on the human polls, if SDSU wins at BYU tomorrow, they are going to leapfrog us in the human polls.

-Jason "c'mon Jimmer - hang 50 on them!" Evans

CharlestonDevil
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
And, as I added in the thread on the human polls, if SDSU wins at BYU tomorrow, they are going to leapfrog us in the human polls.

-Jason "c'mon Jimmer - hang 50 on them!" Evans

Jimmer is a GREAT player BUT.... I find myself pulling against him (and Kemba Walker). Secondary to another banner I REALLY want for Duke to have another National Player of the Year to continue to add to our legacy. I would say Nolan is our leading candidate at this point, and I want to see him lead us to an outstanding record while playing out of position.

It is staggering to walk through the new Hall of Fame and see all of the amazing POY's we have had. Adding another this season would go a long way in re-establishing Duke's utter superiority in college basketball and also in recruiting.

tbyers11
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Back to the original topic, this performance from ND against Pitt was really something unique and a great game plan by Mike Brey. He went to the ultra slow burn offense that he implemented last year when Harangody got hurt. Basically, it is stall ball all game long. Unless you have a really good advantage, his team was instructed to pass the ball around until about 10 on the shot clock and then try and create something. It was the slowest game (http://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/29772210092642305) (# of possessions) in D-1 this year.

It was a great idea because Pitt (by a clear margin in Pomeroy) has been the most efficient offensive team ths year. ND wanted to limit possessions and attack Pitt where it was "weaker" on defense. The media has dubbed Pitt a "great" defensive team because they tend to play at a slowish pace and don't give up lots of points. Pitt is ranked the 27th best D by Pom this year and hasn't finished above 26th since 2006. This is not to say that Pitt is a bad defensive team. They just aren't ultra-elite and I think Brey was very wise to play this way.

It also helped that Ben Hansbrough was so effective down the stretch at executing the delay game. It was really a thing of beauty. I don't find myself rooting against him at all. In fact, I doubt I would have disliked Tyler much if he had played for Missouri. I dislike him intensely now but don't really have anything against except for his UNC-ness and his propensity for shuffling his feet without getting caught.

4decadedukie
01-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Bilas' post game interview with Brey starts out with "I am standing here with the finest coach in Notre Dame history and I know Digger Phelps will agree with me."

Kudos to Jay!
:D

-bdbd
01-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Ditto. The cheer should be "Hansbrough - Doesn't - Walk!" (repeat)

I loved Jay's dig on Digger. Very funny!

I always have to root for ND and their Duke-coaching-tree leader, Mike Brey. Given his fairly solid, consistent success at a similar (academics-first) school like Duke, I've always been surprised that MB doesn't get more mention as a potential successor to K when he retires in 15 years... ;) He's certainly had more consistent success as a head coach for many years than Capel or Dawkins or Amaker (or any of the current assistants of course).

Great win for the Irish and for Mike!

diveonthefloor
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM

OMG did he really say this? CLASSIC!!!! I HAVE TO FIND A VIDEO OF THIS!!!!

And to the point (however tongue in cheek?), Bilas may actually be correct! Digger was OK in his day, but the game passed him up and a relatively early age. At least Digger saw the writing on the wall and stayed out of coaching.
I always liked Brey as an assistant, and now as a head coach. Recruiting has been a bit challenging for him (trying to pick up a down ND program and rejuvenate.)
But I think he has a bright future.