PDA

View Full Version : Latest human polls

rasputin
01-24-2011, 02:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Florida State is at 22 in the AP but not in the top 25 in Coaches' poll (28). Virginia Tech had a few votes in the AP, UNC a few in the coaches' poll.

pfrduke
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Florida State is at 22 in the AP but not in the top 25 in Coaches' poll (28). Virginia Tech had a few votes in the AP, UNC a few in the coaches' poll.

The following schools have more votes in the AP poll than UNC does:

Missouri State
Coastal Carolina
Belmont
Duquesne
Harvard

In all, 45 schools got votes in the AP - UNC was not one of them.

JasonEvans
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
After a loooong time as the conference's solo rep, Duke again has some ACC company in the top 25 as Florida State is now ranked. The Noles come in at #22 in the latest poll. Virginia Tech is in the "Also getting votes" category and is essentially ranked #34 as a result. No other ACC team got any Top 25 votes in the AP Poll.

FSU remains unranked in the ESPN/USA Today Coach's Poll, but that poll is pretty meaningless as most coaches admit they don't watch enough of other team's games to have a good feel for who is good or bad and many say they let staffers fill out their ballot for them because the coaches simply don't know what is going on outside of their region of the country. I don't blame the coaches for this, as they have some pretty important work to do that has nothing to do with watching teams they are never going to play, but for this reason I largely discount the Coach's Poll as having much meaning.

Duke is up to #3 in both polls, though we were passed in the AP poll by Pitt as the Panthers reeled off two straight very impressive wins last week.

-Jason "Pitt has looked fabulous recently-- I'd vote them #1 if I had a vote" Evans

rotogod00
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
After a loooong time as the conference's solo rep, Duke again has some ACC company in the top 25 as Florida State is now ranked. The Noles come in at #22 in the latest poll. Virginia Tech is in the "Also getting votes" category and is essentially ranked #34 as a result. No other ACC team got any Top 25 votes in the AP Poll.

FSU remains unranked in the ESPN/USA Today Coach's Poll, but that poll is pretty meaningless as most coaches admit they don't watch enough of other team's games to have a good feel for who is good or bad and many say they let staffers fill out their ballot for them because the coaches simply don't know what is going on outside of their region of the country. I don't blame the coaches for this, as they have some pretty important work to do that has nothing to do with watching teams they are never going to play, but for this reason I largely discount the Coach's Poll as having much meaning.

Duke is up to #3 in both polls, though we were passed in the AP poll by Pitt as the Panthers reeled off two straight very impressive wins last week.

-Jason "Pitt has looked fabulous recently-- I'd vote them #1 if I had a vote" Evans

fwiw, Florida St. is essentially ranked 28th in the Coaches Poll and Carolina 40th (clearly another reason to discount its meaningfulness)

-bdbd
01-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Yep, Duke is back up to #3 -- no sursprise after a couple of top-5 upsets last week. At least FSU gets "ranked 28th" by USA-Today poll, and has a good chance of moving into the top-25 next week. VPI receives no votes in USA-Today's poll (Seth will love this...). Ironic that Kerlina is still getting a couple votes as the only other ACC school getting ANY votes, with just 2 votes (probably the same guy who kept voting for them last season in the midst of their .500 performance).

What's the over-under on number of games SDSU will play before they fall from undefeated status? Don't they face BYU soon?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

1 24 90
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
#2 Pitt just went down. Brilliant game by Mike Brey and Ben Hansbrough! Now if Purdue can come here to Columbus and knock off the Buckeyes.

JasonEvans
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM

So how long did it take for the above quote to look foolish, 5 hours? That has got to be some kind of record for stupidity ;)

-Jason "couldn't happen to a nicer guy, eh?" Evans

JasonEvans
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Worth noting at this point, if San Diego St beats BYU at BYU, I expect SDSU to jump us in the polls.

-Jason "the quest to return to #1 ain't so easy" Evans

CDu
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Worth noting at this point, if San Diego St beats BYU at BYU, I expect SDSU to jump us in the polls.

-Jason "the quest to return to #1 ain't so easy" Evans

I'm not sure if this would actually happen, especially we win both games this week and if Purdue happens to upset OSU tonight. I can't picture people bumping SDSU up to #1. Even with the win over BYU. I'd expect us to stay ahead of SDSU unless we lose. But, I guess we'll have to see what plays out.

Of course, there's always the point that mid-season polls are meaningless when there's a six-game single-elimination tournament.

Bob Green
01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
...if Purdue happens to upset OSU tonight.

Ohio State is currently sporting a 33-13 lead with 6 minutes left in the 1st half so unless the Buckeyes channel their inner NC State I don't foresee a Purdue victory.