PDA

View Full Version : WVU player walks out, Huggins calls him out

mr shadow 008
01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6051923

I just saw this on espn. There is a lot of debate in the comments sections about whether or not Huggins went overboard. I personally think that he did and just wanted to see what everybody else's opinions were.

1999ballboy
01-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Is there any information on why he walked away? I don't think I could really make a judgment about Huggins' choice of words unless I knew a little more about what was going through the kid's head. There aren't too many good reasons for a player to do that, but he could be dealing with some emotional problems or something. That said, I don't think Huggins went overboard at all if the guy just got PO'd about lack of playing time and left.

dukedoc
01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure it matters what the player said or did. Huggins is clearly venting frustrations in a manner that is unprofessional. So, yes, I think the words are belittling, demeaning, embarrassing, and therefore inappropriate. I cannot imagine Coach K saying anything similar, even if a player committed an egregious offense. I think he values every young man on his team all the way to the end of the bench. Huggins clearly doesn't.

WVDUKEFAN
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure it matters what the player said or did. Huggins is clearly venting frustrations in a manner that is unprofessional. So, yes, I think the words are belittling, demeaning, embarrassing, and therefore inappropriate. I cannot imagine Coach K saying anything similar, even if a player committed an egregious offense. I think he values every young man on his team all the way to the end of the bench. Huggins clearly doesn't.

As a resident of Morgantown, WV and a follower of WVU basketball, I can tell you Dan Jennings has been a real let down for the team. Part of Coach Huggins' frustration is the fact that Jennings won't play defense. Pure and simple. He's lazy. I agree that Coach K wouldn't have handled it quite like Huggs, but those are two different personalities... and that's putting it mildly. Coach Huggins has tried to run a good, clean program here at WVU, and I think for the most part, he has. One thing Coach K and Coach Huggins absolutely demand is hard work, and they neither one will tolerate less than 100 percent.

dukedoc
01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
As a resident of Morgantown, WV and a follower of WVU basketball, I can tell you Dan Jennings has been a real let down for the team. Part of Coach Huggins' frustration is the fact that Jennings won't play defense. Pure and simple. He's lazy. I agree that Coach K wouldn't have handled it quite like Huggs, but those are two different personalities... and that's putting it mildly. Coach Huggins has tried to run a good, clean program here at WVU, and I think for the most part, he has. One thing Coach K and Coach Huggins absolutely demand is hard work, and they neither one will tolerate less than 100 percent.

No doubt, the comments very well could've been founded on truly inappropriate behavior/performance from the player involved and could have therefore been warranted to some degree.

It just pains me to see a young man lambasted in the media like that. He is not just an underperforming player/teammate, but he is someone's son, someone's brother, someone's boyfriend, etc. If he were getting paid millions of dollars as a professional I might have less objection to such harsh criticism for laziness and whatnot. Otherwise I think it best to address it privately.

I wonder how the other guys at the end of the bench averaging 2 pts feel about themselves now.

JasonEvans
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
This is a great life lesson -- one I often try to teach my sons.

The person who is originally wrong is clearly Dan Jennings. Leaving the bench during a game is inexcusible. He is the instigator and shows himself to be less than an honorable player.

But then, Huggins reverses the blame to some extent. When he said, "The truth of the matter is that he's been a nonentity... look at his career stats," Huggy Bear makes himself into the bad guy. He is trashing a kid for not being a good enough player, which is a real taboo for a coach. In that moment, Huggy takes the instigator and makes him into a victim.

I often tell my children that when one of them does something wrong but it causes the other to react inappropriately, they both get in trouble. It tends to happen when one of them antagonizes the other and the other reacts by hitting or pushing or some physical act. It is a tough life lesson, but reacting calmly and taking the high road is something I am desperately attempting to teach my sons (11 and 14).

And, with that in mind, if my kids were elite athletes you can rest assured I would never, ever send them to play for Coach Huggins, a man who has not yet learned the lessons I am teaching my pre-high school children.

--Jason "tough love is fine -- but Huggy crossed a line" Evans

jimsumner
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
This is a great life lesson -- one I often try to teach my sons.

The person who is originally wrong is clearly Dan Jennings. Leaving the bench during a game is inexcusible. He is the instigator and shows himself to be less than an honorable player.

But then, Huggins reverses the blame to some extent. When he said, "The truth of the matter is that he's been a nonentity... look at his career stats," Huggy Bear makes himself into the bad guy. He is trashing a kid for not being a good enough player, which is a real taboo for a coach. In that moment, Huggy takes the instigator and makes him into a victim.

I often tell my children that when one of them does something wrong but it causes the other to react inappropriately, they both get in trouble. It tends to happen when one of them antagonizes the other and the other reacts by hitting or pushing or some physical act. It is a tough life lesson, but reacting calmly and taking the high road is something I am desperately attempting to teach my sons (11 and 14).

And, with that in mind, if my kids were elite athletes you can rest assured I would never, ever send them to play for Coach Huggins, a man who has not yet learned the lessons I am teaching my pre-high school children.

--Jason "tough love is fine -- but Huggy crossed a line" Evans

Bob Huggins-Life Coach

Who'd a thunk it?

Indoor66
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
It reminds me of a concept I try to live by: It is usually the phrase after the last comma that gets me into trouble. (In other words, keep that last, angry thought in you mind.)

sagegrouse
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM

I just saw this on espn. There is a lot of debate in the comments sections about whether or not Huggins went overboard. I personally think that he did and just wanted to see what everybody else's opinions were.

We don't know what Huggins said to Jennings, but my HS coach would have said, "Turn in your uniform, son."

He may have gone a little too far in his post-game comments, but this is the worst imaginable situation for a coach: a player walks off the bench and leaves the arena in the middle of a game.

sagegrouse

DevilWearsPrada
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
The saying, Two wrongs don't make a right.

The player, clearly should not have left the game, and walked out during the game. Totally wrong!!! Not unless he was sick and felt ill. Was the player sick? (I guess not). Otherwise, should he turn in his uniform and forfeit a scholorship?

Then, the comments, that Coach Huggins made..... totally 200% inappropriate to say to the Media and public. I just shake my head in almost disbelief. I understand that Coach Huggins was upset with the kid, but he made hisself the Villiam but spouting these Unprofessional remarks to the media.

2011..... live in an age of technology and instant information via the internet, twitter, facebook, etc. Could have gotten by with these comments back in the 1900's eras and decades. Perhaps, even 15 years ago.... these comments would not be surfaced to the Mass Media.

I personally feel that a Student/Coach relationship is like a Doctor/Patient relationship. And certain confidentially applies. Like an Attorney/Client. These college players are kids, for goodness sakes. Coach K says that all the time, in his media comments, radio show or TV show. They are kids!!! Mainly 18, 19 and 20.

Lets all remember how we were when we were 18, 19 or 20. Probablly thought we Knew everything. I remember my parents telling me that. And that, the older you get, you learn, just how Little you really do know. In context, to the big picture.

Both the kid and coach were wrong. However, since Coach Huggins crossed the unprofessional line, with his Vocal comments..... he is the bad guy, now. He should have counted to 10 or 100, or just said, No Comment, or this is a Private matter. But the comment, "No Comment, is generally best." At least you don't make yourself look like a horse's behind!

We have all seen "Nonentity players, or co-workers or bosses, supervisors etc, in all facets of life"

Nothing, surprises me, anymore. (Just like the Calapair, usage of BAD FOUL language to the freshman player.... wasnt that last week?)

And as always,

GO DUKE!!!

J.Blink
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
So is there any expectation of what Coach K would do in the same situation?

For me it's hard to imagine that situation occurring at Duke. Obviously not every single player fits in well with the team, coaching staff, campus, etc, but even most of the transfers I can think of have nothing but good things to say about Duke and Coach K (most recently Olek).

elvis14
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I read the comments on here before I read the article. I was expecting Huggins' comments to be more derogatory than what they actually were. The guy left the bench in the middle of game! That's like eating bacon at every meal, you can't do that. I agree that Huggins should have just said something like "yes, it's an issue, one that we will address internally" or he should have not added that line about stats. I did like that Huggins said "can we talk about the guys that play?" in an attempt to keep the media in check.

4decadedukie
01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Regardless of anything else that happened earlier, there can be NO question that Huggins will ill-motivate his team (and future recruits) by publicly denigrating players with words such as: "The truth of the matter is that he's been a nonentity." What, however, he will certainly induce them to do will undermine team cohesiveness, team performance, team pride, and team victories. A likely twenty-year-old student-athlete should not leave the bench during a game as Jennings did, but there is no excuse for such unprofessionalism on the part of a "mature" and experienced head coach. Huggins should be ashamed of himself; WVU's AD should give him a three or four game suspension to contemplate his imprudence, poor judgment and immaturity.

Acymetric
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Regardless of anything else that happened earlier, there can be NO question that Huggins will ill-motivate his team (and future recruits) by publicly denigrating players with words such as: "The truth of the matter is that he's been a nonentity." What, however, he will certainly induce them to do will undermine team cohesiveness, team performance, team pride, and team victories. A likely twenty-year-old student-athlete should not leave the bench during a game as Jennings did, but there is no excuse for such unprofessionalism on the part of a "mature" and experienced head coach. Huggins should be ashamed of himself; WVU's AD should give him a three or four game suspension to contemplate his imprudence, poor judgment and immaturity.

This is only true if the rest of the team is on the side of the player that left...if they're mad at him for bailing too then I don't see how this would negatively impact the team going forward. Leaving the bench during a game is about as unforgivable as it gets for a player...can't imagine he'll see time at WVU ever again (if he even wants to). If he does I would imagine some Coach Carteresque punishments before a return is made.

bluedvl
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
I think Coach K. does his homework when recruting so he wont have to deal with character issues like Jennings. No matter what the circumstances you still dont walk out on your school during a game it looks bad for both parties.

WiJoe
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Here's the school link for the presser.

Not surprisingly, the part where Huggs talks about the quitter is not included.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/mediaplayer.cfm?streamid=370

allenmurray
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Lyrics from The Difference, by the Wallflowers,

The only difference, that I see
Is you are exactly the same as you used to be.

My only surprise is that people are surprised. How surprised can we be by anything that Higgins does?

mgtr
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I think Coach K. does his homework when recruting so he wont have to deal with character issues like Jennings.

This the key to understanding one of the many reasons why Coach K is so successful. Talent is not the most important factor in recruiting. Many coaches would do well to learn that lesson.

Kfanarmy
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I did like that Huggins said "can we talk about the guys that play?" in an attempt to keep the media in check.

wow...that was just the set up to the insult. The context implies that Huggins intended to slip right into the insult that came next...as in "he doesn't play why waste our time, but let me tell you..."

I have to believe there were hard feelings before the game started, and they had probably been building for a while. For whatever reason, coach and player didn't see eye-to-eye. My guess is the kid already didn't feel like a part of the team for some reason.

Last year during Duke's defeat of WVU, I thought Huggins was trying to get a foul called on Duke when Da'sean Butler got hurt and when that didn't work he spent 10 minutes on the floor seemingly consoling Butler, I think more in an attempt to garner sympathy for himself than anything else. I simply fealt his whole reaction was way out of the norm and it just didn't feel real. All that to say, Coach Huggins response doesn't really surprise me that much.

J.Blink
01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Aren't Coach K and Huggins supposed to be pretty good friends?

DMV2434
01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Last year during Duke's defeat of WVU, I thought Huggins was trying to get a foul called on Duke when Da'sean Butler got hurt and when that didn't work he spent 10 minutes on the floor seemingly consoling Butler, I think more in an attempt to garner sympathy for himself than anything else. I simply fealt his whole reaction was way out of the norm and it just didn't feel real.

I really don't like when people suggest things like that. Imagine a Duke senior having a similar injury happen in a tourney run. I think Coach K would do the same thing. Wouldn't you think Huggins would have gotten tons of criticism for just bringing his team in for a huddle while the training staff attended to Butler. I think Huggins just tried to console a player he loves when he was crying on the floor. Seriously, what else would you want a coach to do in that situation?

4decadedukie
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
This is only true if the rest of the team is on the side of the player that left...if they're mad at him for bailing too then I don't see how this would negatively impact the team going forward. Leaving the bench during a game is about as unforgivable as it gets for a player...can't imagine he'll see time at WVU ever again (if he even wants to). If he does I would imagine some Coach Carteresque punishments before a return is made.

Among other things, it will clearly discourage recruits -- and their parents -- from affiliating from WVU. Eevn if his teammates universally believed Jennings was a lazy slacker, I would never entrust a child to a coach that operated in this manner.

allenmurray
01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
I really don't like when people suggest things like that. Imagine a Duke senior having a similar injury happen in a tourney run. I think Coach K would do the same thing. Wouldn't you think Huggins would have gotten tons of criticism for just bringing his team in for a huddle while the training staff attended to Butler. I think Huggins just tried to console a player he loves when he was crying on the floor. Seriously, what else would you want a coach to do in that situation?

Clearly a case where I hope I am wrong. But it seemed so over-the-top as to be hard to believe.

WiJoe
01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Last year during Duke's defeat of WVU, I thought Huggins was trying to get a foul called on Duke when Da'sean Butler got hurt and when that didn't work he spent 10 minutes on the floor seemingly consoling Butler, I think more in an attempt to garner sympathy for himself than anything else. I simply fealt his whole reaction was way out of the norm and it just didn't feel real. All that to say, Coach Huggins response doesn't really surprise me that much.

Totally off base. That's one of the many problems with this and every other site; NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT'S WRITTEN. I know Huggins and NO WAY would he fake interest in his player to get an attempt to work the officials.

JG Nothing
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM

The complete quote for what it's worth:

"I understand you have to report it and that's fine, but can we talk about the guys who play? Because he didn't play anyway. And hasn't played. The truth of the matter is he's been a non-entity. You know, we started him to try to get some other guys motivated and things, and he did work hard in practice for a while, but he hasn't -- I mean, look at his career stats. We didn't just lose Kevin Jones. You know what I'm saying? It's a sidebar."

Kfanarmy
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Totally off base. That's one of the many problems with this and every other site; NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT'S WRITTEN. I know Huggins and NO WAY would he fake interest in his player to get an attempt to work the officials. Clearly mine is opinion, and I have absolutely no problem with being accountable for it while your statement implies much greater familiarity than I'm guessing exists. Pls lay out specifically how many years you've lived worked and sweated with Huggie so that we can verify where you get such intimate knowledge to speak as though your not-so-humble opinion is fact. What I saw in that game makes me believe that its possible that Huggins emotions are more about how the situation affects him than how it affects the kid, and I don't think you can argue that he gave 2 cents about this BBall player or the parents who placed him in Huggies care...of course you "know" him, so is that how all the non-stars on the team get treated and he really does love the stars?

Kfanarmy
01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I really don't like when people suggest things like that. Imagine a Duke senior having a similar injury happen in a tourney run. I think Coach K would do the same thing. Wouldn't you think Huggins would have gotten tons of criticism for just bringing his team in for a huddle while the training staff attended to Butler. I think Huggins just tried to console a player he loves when he was crying on the floor. Seriously, what else would you want a coach to do in that situation? I think Coach k would have gone over,knelt next to the player and spoke to him. What Huggins did was way over the top for the situation. I think he went way out of his way to demonstrate how much he cared, and It seemed totally unreal, emotionally, after about the 1st minute. So you may not like it, but I'm not suggesting anything. I'm stating what I believe.

and what I'd want the coach to do is what i believe Coach K would do...spend a moment consoling the one player down, then the next few worrying about the ten or so who now have to finish the game without one of their stars.

oldnavy
01-25-2011, 06:48 AM
The complete quote for what it's worth:

"I understand you have to report it and that's fine, but can we talk about the guys who play? Because he didn't play anyway. And hasn't played. The truth of the matter is he's been a non-entity. You know, we started him to try to get some other guys motivated and things, and he did work hard in practice for a while, but he hasn't -- I mean, look at his career stats. We didn't just lose Kevin Jones. You know what I'm saying? It's a sidebar."

I do not like Huggins, I have never liked Huggins, and probably never will like Huggins. He comes off as a brute with little to no class. His reaction last year during the tournament with the injured player was just "weird", no other way I can describe it. I have no idea if it was sincere or not, but I have never seen any other coach react quite that way before and it was strange to watch. That said, his comments in this case do not bother me. The fact that the kid left during the game is a big clue as to his attitude, and Huggins called him out, so what? Would K have done it this way... of course not, but with K it probably never would have gotten to this point. I just think Huggins said what was on his mind, none of it seems to be untruthful, so what is the big deal other than it shows Huggins to be classless like I already knew he was.

allenmurray
01-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Totally off base. That's one of the many problems with this and every other site; NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT'S WRITTEN. I know Huggins and NO WAY would he fake interest in his player to get an attempt to work the officials.

The poster to whom you directed the above made it quite clear he was offerring an opinion - he made no attempt to hold his statement as face. hence the use of phrases like "I think, . . . I thought, . . . I felt