PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 65, NC State 64

wandalee
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
The game is on now of FSS. We're off to a cold start.

Indoor66
01-23-2011, 05:24 PM
The game is on now of FSS. We're off to a cold start.

11:16 to play, State 12 Duke 5

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
17-5. Ugh. Let's go!!!

94duke
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Down 22-8 @ the under-8.

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Down 25-12. I feel a comeback. Starting now.

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I have no explanation for that first half. I hope Coach P does, along with an answer for the second half.

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
If it weren't for two missed free throws to end it, we'd be down by 20. This is not pretty. Come out strong ladies!

wandalee
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
We've got it down to 2 with just over 3 minutes left. Our defense is great - just wish we could make some freethrows.

wandalee
01-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Up by 1 with 1:56 left

wandalee
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
We won it by 1!!! Great play by Krystal, Shay, and Kathleen.

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Wooooohoooooo!!!! Chelsea Gray for the win...and the team D to finish! Woooohooo!!

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I need a drink.

terrih
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Pretty impressive comeback. I didn't start watching until about 13 minutes left in the game and wow- they must have turned up their defense. Way to go ladies.

Duvall
01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
SOPHISTICATED ANALYSIS: Chelsea Gray is going to be really good.

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
It's almost as if the game plan was to let themselves get in a hole so that they could practice coming from behind.

burnspbesq
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I need a drink.

I need a Lisinopril. Maybe two.

I suppose it's good that our team can go up to Storrs knowing that it can play from behind if it has to.

/looking for silver lining where there is none

State is going to be a real pain in the hindquarters if they ever get players. Kellie Harper can coach.

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
This was a victory that I don't think we'd be enjoying without their earlier tough games. They've been down before, under pressure before, and as a team they've learned that if they rely on each other, and play their stifling defense, good things will happen.
I love this team for that..there are stars, but there is nobody that is more or less important than anyone else. Every game, anybody has the chance to step up, and usually it is more than one player that rises to the occasion. The coaches have done a great job working the freshmen in, it's amazing to think that we are this young, and getting such poise from those young players. The upper classmen have also done a great job letting the new ladies make their own way and fill those roles. Lots of teams might have issues with giving up minutes to "the new guys", I've never seen that as a problem with this group.
Great win, great experience.

buddy
01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I need a drink.

Pass me the bottle! That was one UGLY basketball game. But a win is a win. Almost feel bad for State. Almost.

miramar
01-23-2011, 07:56 PM
On a related note, #15 Maryland beat #10 UNC 88-65. Carolina lost to UConn at home 83-57 just six days ago, so their stock is dropping.

Duke WBB is going to have a pretty interesting two weeks coming up. After Clemson, it's going to be @UConn, Miami, and @ Carolina. Katie Meier's UM team has won 17 straight, so this could well be the toughest stretch of the regular season.

Duvall
01-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Great win, great experience.

Good experience maybe, but it's hard to call this a great win, or least a great performance. N.C. State played hard today, but they are still 1-4 in conference play and 9-10 overall. This kind of effort against a good team on the road would leave Duke in an even deeper hole with no chance of coming back. These slow starts need to stop.

jimsumner
01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
On a related note, #15 Maryland beat #10 UNC 88-65. Carolina lost to UConn at home 83-57 just six days ago, so their stock is dropping.

Duke WBB is going to have a pretty interesting two weeks coming up. After Clemson, it's going to be @UConn, Miami, and @ Carolina. Katie Meier's UM team has won 17 straight, so this could well be the toughest stretch of the regular season.

Miami plays at Florida State tomorrow night, so we'll know more after that.

I do feel sorry for State. They took it to Duke for 30 minutes or so. Harper admitted after the game that her team was playing not to lose down the stretch. They were very tentative on offense. Duke's superior depth just wore them down. But it was in doubt until the last second.

Duke had some good looks early but had some shots rim out. That negatively impacted Duke's defense and rebounding and it shouldn't have. Duke tried to catch up all at once and really started forcing things, especially entry passes inside a packed-in zone. More than a few bad decisions in the first half.

I thought Shay Selby was the key to the comeback. Duke was flat the entire first half but Selby came out after intermission with energy and confidence. She jump-started the team. Scheer and Gray made some big plays, Christmas was awful on offense but disruptive on defense and both Thomases made clutch shots in the final minute. Jas' 3 to make it 61-59 was right in front of me. A cold-blooded assassin.

Bonae Holston hit a field goal with 8:45 to put State up 59-44. It was their last field goal. They made five FT's but not a single field goal during that period.

So, a great comeback. Coming back from 20 on the road doesn't happen very often. But some things to work on, without question.

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Good experience maybe, but it's hard to call this a great win, or least a great performance. N.C. State played hard today, but they are still 1-4 in conference play and 9-10 overall. This kind of effort against a good team on the road would leave Duke in an even deeper hole with no chance of coming back. These slow starts need to stop.
I'll call it a great win for a couple of reasons. First off...no team can be on all the time, everyone has their off nights, and this was obviously one for the women. But to have an off night, in conference, on the road, in an electric atmosphere, and to come back from 20 down? Yeah..that's a great win. The ACC is one of the toughest conferences in the country when it comes to women's basketball. This is one of the reasons that Duke has the #1 SOS in the country. State may not have the numbers on paper, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a good team. Also..we are Duke..we are always going to get everyone's best game. We may not be #1 in the polls, but (as stated) we are #1 in SOS and #1 in the RPI..and we are undefeated. Everyone we play wants to be the first to knock us off. No matter who we play, we are going to get their best effort, just as State gave tonight.

Son of Jarhead
01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I didn't start watching until right after the Packers/Bears game. If I had watched our gals from the start, would they have done better in the first 30 minutes? If so, please forgive me. I was delighted to watch the team make such an incredilbe comeback from 20 down on the road in the last 10 minutes! If they hadn't, I might be in some real trouble about now. Thank you, ladies!

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2011, 09:26 PM
I didn't start watching until right after the Packers/Bears game. If I had watched our gals from the start, would they have done better in the first 30 minutes?
Yes. 20 lashes.

stillcrazie
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I didn't start watching until right after the Packers/Bears game. If I had watched our gals from the start, would they have done better in the first 30 minutes? If so, please forgive me. I was delighted to watch the team make such an incredilbe comeback from 20 down on the road in the last 10 minutes! If they hadn't, I might be in some real trouble about now. Thank you, ladies!

Very possible. The timing is uncanny. Please do not let this happen again.

Jarhead
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM

So you're the one. You need to be more careful.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/comando.gif

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I love this quote from Coach P.

"How many teams do you know that are down 20 points and come back to win?" Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "That's something this team really needs to internalize. That's a really special thing."

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/11107680/article-Devils-are-escape-artists-yet-again?instance=main_article

burnspbesq
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Apparently, the last time Duke came from down 20 to win was against UConn in 2004.

Kfanarmy
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I watched most of this game; apparently fortunate to miss the first 10 minutes. I really have to hand it to the Duke women: They simply don't quit.

But wow, that offense, whatever it is, is going to give them plenty of opportunities to come back in the 2nd half. I just about could never tell what they were trying to do with the ball.