PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the crowd at Wake

rthomas
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
ESPN showed the "Blue" crowd. The Wake crowd was pitiful. Is attendance down THAT much at Wake? What was going on? I kinda feel sorry for them if there was that many Dukies at their biggest game of the year.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
It's pretty bad for the home team when Duke comes in, tickets are publicly sold, and it's still not a sell out. But then again, if you are a wake fan, do want to pay money to see a drubbing, or do you want to see it at home from the comfort of your couch? Same with Duke fans...this outcome was never in question, even weeks ago when tickets were on sale. I'm not surprised a bit at the crowd.

coldriver10
01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Yep, as of Thursday plenty of tickets were still available in the upper deck. I wanted to go, but it was a bit too expensive for me.

wilson
01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
It wasn't markedly worse than the crowd balance at the GA Tech-unc game last weekend. Why, if your team opened its home slate by losing to Stetson, would you be especially eager to come and watch them play a top 5 team whom even Vegas has installed as a ridiculously large favorite, especially when you know that plenty of Duke fans are willing to pay you for your seats?

watzone
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Duke fans came out in numbers today. A decade or two ago, this didn't always happen in the state.

jv001
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Duke fans came out in numbers today. A decade or two ago, this didn't always happen in the state.

Mark, but it's somewhat like Duke Football. But I'm hoping that's going to change beginning next year. Go Duke!

killerleft
01-22-2011, 11:03 PM

Not only true, but quite surreal. At least for this long-time fan. And it only took 30 years of Coach K basketball to do it! I've spent most of a lifetime as part of an exclusive minority, and don't know how to react to this. Is it good?:confused:

tele
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Not only true, but quite surreal. At least for this long-time fan. And it only took 30 years of Coach K basketball to do it! I've spent most of a lifetime as part of an exclusive minority, and don't know how to react to this. Is it good?:confused:

There must be some drawbacks some way. :D

Cameron
01-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm going to go out on the thin branch of a tree and say that Stetson Hatters 89, Wake Forest 79 has something to do with the current state of affairs in the Lawrence-Joel grandstand.

The collective collapses in consecutive contests to the potent Presbyterian Blue Hose and the Richmond Spiders, in addition to an isolated loss to North Carolina-Wilmington, are probably equally as guilty.

But perhaps it's just amateurish popcorn at the stadium snack bar.

devil84
01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
It does appear that their current record has a lot to do with attendance. I can't speak for the boosters or fans, but I have heard some discussion on the student section. The students turned out in full force for the Duke game, even though other games saw pitifully few students (not counting the games while the students are on break). Even though Wake was able to get it together to give Duke a run for its money for better than half of the game, many students have noted that they won't go back for another game.

My son, who is in his first year at Wake after transferring from State, is not happy with the student reaction. He texted me, "Yeah I would love for all games to be like [the Duke game]. And we would win our next game if it was like that, but everyone is even more discouraged now...which they shouldn't be." I think he's right.

Very sad for Wake Forest. The students could be having so much fun cheering (ask some of the Crazies from the leaner years of Duke Basketball, *nods to those of us from the Class of the Avuncular Letter*), which in turn helps lift their team...that's called a "home court advantage."

epoulsen
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I went to the Duke WFU game on Saturday and I gotta say, I feel awful for those fans. I spoke with some WF fans in attendance in the row in front of me and heard their tale of woe. They lose Dino due to some apparent partying issue (I had not heard about this if anyone can shed any light on it), they lose their center due to some assualt issue, they lost their PG due to a broken foot. But let me say this, that Wake Forest team is NOT bad, and they will be back within the next two years. The only question mark on that squad is their coach, granted not the best question mark to have but still, at least you know the talent is there. It seems like all of their guards are attack guards and both big men can shoot. They have boat loads of talent, but they are very young. Also, I was thrilled when the Deacon came out on the motorcycle and with their tshirt gattling gun, that thing was too cool! However, very impressive win by the Devils, and GREAT game by Kelly. My father in law was not a Kelly fan before the game, but left cheering for him.

Huh?
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I went to the Duke WFU game on Saturday and I gotta say, I feel awful for those fans. I spoke with some WF fans in attendance in the row in front of me and heard their tale of woe. They lose Dino due to some apparent partying issue (I had not heard about this if anyone can shed any light on it), they lose their center due to some assualt issue, they lost their PG due to a broken foot. But let me say this, that Wake Forest team is NOT bad, and they will be back within the next two years. The only question mark on that squad is their coach, granted not the best question mark to have but still, at least you know the talent is there. It seems like all of their guards are attack guards and both big men can shoot. They have boat loads of talent, but they are very young. Also, I was thrilled when the Deacon came out on the motorcycle and with their tshirt gattling gun, that thing was too cool! However, very impressive win by the Devils, and GREAT game by Kelly. My father in law was not a Kelly fan before the game, but left cheering for him.

1. Wake Forest is a bad team, that's the best they have played pretty much all year and that's sad.
2. Look at what Colorado is doing this year without Bzdelick. Yes he got that talent there, but to all of the sudden blossom the year after he leaves makes me wonder.
3. Talked to one of my good friends who played at Wake a few years back and he said Prosser actually brought this up to fans and told them he better not see it happen.....Prosser, great guy.

That's all I got

epoulsen
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
1. Wake Forest is a bad team, that's the best they have played pretty much all year and that's sad.
2. Look at what Colorado is doing this year without Bzdelick. Yes he got that talent there, but to all of the sudden blossom the year after he leaves makes me wonder.
3. Talked to one of my good friends who played at Wake a few years back and he said Prosser actually brought this up to fans and told them he better not see it happen.....Prosser, great guy.

That's all I got

Better not see what again? A motorcycle? Or a low turn out?

DevilWearsPrada
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Always, great to see droves of Duke Blue in an Away game. Great to see Duke blue, represents at the Wake game and the NCState game!!!! It makes it possible, for other Duke fans, to buy tickets, or bring a group of family to see the game. If, you aren't a Season holder with Duke, at least the AWAY games, are more affordable, to take a family.... and you can buy direct from the venue.... and not a scalper or broker or Ebay or Stubhub.

So glad, Duke BLUe represents at Joel Lawrence.

I was in the car and listening to Duke Radio..... got tickled at Bob Harris, commenting on the Smoke from the Motorcycle (during pregame, announcement of the Wake players). They have the same Pre-game now, for several years... I remember that back in 2004.

I like how Duke, changes their marketing and Pre-game, either every season, or every other. Keeps it new and fresh.

RPS
01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
My son, who is in his first year at Wake after transferring from State, is not happy with the student reaction. He texted me, "Yeah I would love for all games to be like [the Duke game]. And we would win our next game if it was like that, but everyone is even more discouraged now...which they shouldn't be." I think he's right.

Very sad for Wake Forest. The students could be having so much fun cheering (ask some of the Crazies from the leaner years of Duke Basketball, *nods to those of us from the Class of the Avuncular Letter*), which in turn helps lift their team...that's called a "home court advantage."
My wife and daughter, both WFU alumna, are very discouraged. They are trying hard to have faith in Ron Wellman. We'll see....

Huh?
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Better not see what again? A motorcycle? Or a low turn out?

What the thread is about.

weezie
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Perhaps it's time for wake to lose the barfy tie-dye shirts and go with a new look.
Kinda tired looking...

Acymetric
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Perhaps it's time for wake to lose the barfy tie-dye shirts and go with a new look.
Kinda tired looking...

Yeah I thought it was pretty lame when it started, and it definitely isn't getting better with age.

Cameron
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
My wife and daughter, both WFU alumna, are very discouraged. They are trying hard to have faith in Ron Wellman. We'll see....

On an interesting note, Ron Wellman's brother was my high school guidance counselor in Ohio.

Then again, to most, I'm sure that's about as interesting as the basketball story of Chas McFarland.

I haven't seen Ron's brother in a long time, but I would be curious to hear his take on the situation. Even though Dino wasn't exactly "heating it up" in March -- Wake was a very average 1-2 in two NCAA appearances that included a really talented bunch of players, and never reached better than the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament -- he was seemingly well received and had Wake in the national picture.

Let's be honest when we stare into the mirror, Demon Deacons. You haven't reached a Final Four since before moon travel, and the last time you cut down the ACC nets, the Spurs had exactly 0 NBA championships. The Wake Forest as a national powerhouse ship sailed with Dickie Hemric.

aro24
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a good friend that is a season ticket holder and he was nice enought to let me accompany him. 2nd row behind the basket...not too shabby. The incident with Seth Curry leading to the minor scrum happened right in front of me. Hope to post some pictures soon. I did notice a lot of blue and a lot of empty seats in the upper deck....and my friend told me that it was the biggest crowd of the year.
Here's hoping a quick bounce back by the program....I like Wake and want to see them compete.

ARo24

OldPhiKap
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Dave Odom said it best when he left Wake: "It's hard being everyone's second-favorite ACC school in North Carolina."

aro24
01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Ok...I am a little late on this, but here is a link to the photos I took at the game.

I have them on the walgreens website, so I am not sure if you will have to have an account to view....I don't think you do.

Enjoy !

http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreens/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=9000208005/a=17276958_17276958/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/

ARo24

94duke
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Ok...I am a little late on this, but here is a link to the photos I took at the game.

I have them on the walgreens website, so I am not sure if you will have to have an account to view....I don't think you do.

Enjoy !

http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreens/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=9000208005/a=17276958_17276958/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/

ARo24

You have to create an account.

hurleyfor3
01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
The Wake Forest as a national powerhouse ship sailed with Dickie Hemric.

That's a little harsh -- they've been very good more recently than that -- but their road to recent greatness was derailed by the dynamic duo of "Big Country" Reeves and Jared Pittsnoggle.

Their fans are still bitter about the "Scoreboard Game", which occurred in the ACC Tournament in I think 1977. Really small potatoes when you consider the stuff Duke and even Maryland fans can't get over.

Dave Odom said it best when he left Wake: "It's hard being everyone's second-favorite ACC school in North Carolina."

That was Davey's talent, being second-best at stuff. Also he:
* had the best program in people's second-favorite state with "Carolina" in its name
* dominated everyone's second-favorite postseason tournament.

Ladies and gentlemen, Wake Forest basketball!

94duke
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
The Wake Forest as a national powerhouse ship sailed with Dickie Hemric.

How quickly we forget the Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan years.

DevilHorns
01-27-2011, 03:28 PM

If you mention Randolph Childress, you have to show THE crossover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

94duke
01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
If you mention Randolph Childress, you have to show THE crossover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

I always love the "come on/get up" wave before he buries that shot. :D

gus
01-27-2011, 04:51 PM
You have to create an account.

someone already registered with the email address firstlast@email.com. So I registered with firstlast@emaildammit.comp. That worked.

gus
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I always love the "come on/get up" wave before he buries that shot. :D

Childress was one of those players I wanted to dislike because of what he kept doing to Duke... this shot is one of the reasons why I couldn't. I think this is my favorite ACC shot not involving Duke.

dukebluelemur
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Their fans are still bitter about the "Scoreboard Game", which occurred in the ACC Tournament in I think 1977. Really small potatoes when you consider the stuff Duke and even Maryland fans can't get over.

It always frustrates me when you oldtimers give snippets of interesting stories then don't follow through. So I did some digging. (And for what its worth, it was '75)

Scoreboard Game. (http://books.google.com/books?id=ufDD6AwRl9sC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=wake+forest+basketball+1975+scoreboard+game&source=bl&ots=JqThhG3Vos&sig=mFvfYl8zU1M3gOP_h5abj2UcQhU&hl=en&ei=0e1BTcyMCoK8lQerqqky&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=wake%20forest%20basketball%201975%20scoreboard%2 0game&f=false)

(Edit: In a twist that will undoubtedly unhinge any terrapin readers, no Duke games came up in the linked book when I searched the pages available on google.)

hurleyfor3
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
It always frustrates me when you oldtimers give snippets of interesting stories then don't follow through. So I did some digging. (And for what its worth, it was '75)

The Scoreboard Game was before my time, too; I have heard about it extensively. And the lack of embellishment was intentional. :)

The book doesn't even mention the most controversial parts of that play. First, the pass that was ruled off the scoreboard would have led to an uncontested Wake layup. Second, as a ref was blowing his whistle Dean Smith was pointing up to the scoreboard complaining about something. Accounts differ as to what it was, perhaps the clock running before the ball was touched, or that he didn't get a timeout he was asking for. Wake fans insinuate that he "convinced" the refs the ball had touched the scoreboard, after the whistle had blown for some other reason. Most accounts claim the ball didn't come anywhere close to the scoreboard.

The full perspective is this was a pretty mediocre Wake team that gave up an eight-point lead in the final minute (I thought it had been 10 points actually), and had to win on Sunday anyway to get an NCAA tournament bid they probably weren't going to do much with. And we complain about Carlos Boozer getting fouled when we would have had a clear path to the NCAA championship game.

Cameron
01-28-2011, 04:05 AM
In reference to several posts above, the line about the Wake Forest ship as a national powerhouse sailing with Dickie Hemric was made facetiously. It was a josh.

I could have inserted any name with the slightest trace of Demon Deacon hoops significance into that construction to make it work. The only requirement, of course, being that it had to be a name popularized before the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, as Wake Forest has yet to return to a Final Four during the period of time following this event.

Enter my josh.

:D

hurleyfor3
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
In reference to several posts above, the line about the Wake Forest ship as a national powerhouse sailing with Dickie Hemric was made facetiously. It was a josh.

Your intent may have been clearer if you had mentioned Billy Packer instead. :)

Kdogg
01-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Let's not forget Wake was ranked number one for the first time ever just two years ago. (Of course that team crumbed down the stretch.)