PDA

View Full Version : Double Dribble?

Steve68
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
At about the 13 minute mark of the second half against Wake, one of their players was dribbling in the backcourt; moving toward center court, he left the ball behind him on the floor. He went back to the ball, picked it up with two hands and started dribbling again. Isn't that a double dribble by definition?

94duke
01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
At about the 13 minute mark of the second half against Wake, one of their players was dribbling in the backcourt; moving toward center court, he left the ball behind him on the floor. He went back to the ball, picked it up with two hands and started dribbling again. Isn't that a double dribble by definition?

If the ball is lying on the floor, then he doesn't have possession.
That was my assumption when I saw it.

CDu
01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
If the ball is lying on the floor, then he doesn't have possession.
That was my assumption when I saw it.

Yes, but if he was the one that left it on the floor (giving up possession) without interference by the defender and then regained possession, that's still a double dribble. It's effectively the same thing as passing it to yourself. If you give up your dribble without the ball touching another player or the backboard or rim and then start dribbling again, that's a double dribble.

I'm assuming that the official just decided that the defender touched the ball. I don't think that the defender actually did touch the ball, though, which would indeed have made it a double dribble.