PDA

View Full Version : Boring PA Announcements Return

B-well
01-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Are all PA announcers creatures of habit doing their own routine as they learned it some place other than Duke?

After a two game respite, we were once again regaled with "The foul has been charged to...." and "Welcome back to the floor" - the drawn out laborious calls of the current Cameron PA annoucer. He never mentioned an assist, a steal or a rejection - important parts of both the men's and women's basketball programs at Duke.

However, he had a commanding presence during the evening since the volume on the PA system is really high - and annoying. It is almost impossible to talk to my seatmate about a play since she can't hear me over the overpowering din of the PA stuff.

Can't we do better than this?

lpd1982
01-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Are all PA announcers creatures of habit doing their own routine as they learned it some place other than Duke?

After a two game respite, we were once again regaled with "The foul has been charged to...." and "Welcome back to the floor" - the drawn out laborious calls of the current Cameron PA annoucer. He never mentioned an assist, a steal or a rejection - important parts of both the men's and women's basketball programs at Duke.

However, he had a commanding presence during the evening since the volume on the PA system is really high - and annoying. It is almost impossible to talk to my seatmate about a play since she can't hear me over the overpowering din of the PA stuff.

I find the announcer to be informed, upbeat and adaptable. I think you underestimate the difficulty of announcing a fast paced game. As with player development, it takes time to develop as the announcer. I think ours is commendable for coming off the bench and playing 40 minutes a game! If you had a two week reprieve from a certain intro you disliked and it is now back....you can be sure it is because some other fan preferred to have the intro and complained that it had been deleted. Chocolate and vanilla are great for ice cream but you can't have it both ways in announcing so someone will always be displeased.

jtelander
01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I was disappointed in his work last night. No "Here Comes Duke" when the team emerges from the locker room. No "Threeeeeee!" on 3 point shots. In fact he was reading and advertisement of some sort when the team came onto the floor last night.
Pathetic.

lpd1982
01-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I was disappointed in his work last night. No "Here Comes Duke" when the team emerges from the locker room. No "Threeeeeee!" on 3 point shots. In fact he was reading and advertisement of some sort when the team came onto the floor last night.
Pathetic.

I have no relationship to the announcer so my comments are simply as a fan.

"Pathetic"?, Really? Hungry dogs are pathetic.
The guy who is charged with reading the copy that keeps the lights on is trying to do his job. Coach K got 3 years grace before he became 'perfect' and I know he would want us to give all the other people who are members of the team the same respect and consideration. And our announcer IS considered by the Blue Devils to be a member of the team.

jimsumner
01-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Pathetic.

I rather suspect he wasn't reading an advertisement. This stuff is pretty scripted, which promo during which timeout and so forth. Most likely reviewing this script, possibly noting a change.

jtelander
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I rather suspect he wasn't reading an advertisement. This stuff is pretty scripted, which promo during which timeout and so forth. Most likely reviewing this script, possibly noting a change.

When I said he was reading...I meant reading out loud. The band started playing as the team took the floor and he was still reading out loud until drowned out by the band.

I was overly harsh when I said it was "pathetic". I should have said "poorly coordinated/choreographed".

Jderf
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
When I said he was reading...I meant reading out loud. The band started playing as the team took the floor and he was still reading out loud until drowned out by the band.

I was overly harsh when I said it was "pathetic". I should have said "poorly coordinated/choreographed".

Weird. As a student, I've never heard any complaints about the announcer. But that's probably for a good reason: if we can hear him in the first place, that's our fault, not his.

msdukie
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Yes, DR. ART CHANDLER. Remember, he didn't retire by his own choice....

(P.S. Art never announced steals either, he expected that you knew that the ball was stolen).

Kimist
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

I have no major issues with the announcer(s) per se, but you have hit on a point that does bother me.

The entire game is essentially now scripted, which removes a LOT of the spontaneity that was present when (too long ago) I was in the downstairs bleachers.

You pretty well already know going in which song will be played when, at what point the Devil will do the surfboard routine, and when Crazy Towel Guy will stand up.

It is especially bothersome to me when the team is on a roll, the fans are going crazy, a timeout (especially one called by the opposing team!) occurs.......and we first have to endure the announcer reading something about upcoming games or, even worse, some type of PSA or advertisement.

k

OZZIE4DUKE
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
I have no major issues with the announcer(s) per se, but you have hit on a point that does bother me.

The entire game is essentially now scripted, which removes a LOT of the spontaneity that was present when (too long ago) I was in the downstairs bleachers.

You pretty well already know going in which song will be played when, at what point the Devil will do the surfboard routine, and when Crazy Towel Guy will stand up.

It is especially bothersome to me when the team is on a roll, the fans are going crazy, a timeout (especially one called by the opposing team!) occurs.......and we first have to endure the announcer reading something about upcoming games or, even worse, some type of PSA or advertisement.

k
I've been sitting upstairs since 1983. The Devil surfs during the first media time out. Crazie Towel Guy is called upon by the Crazies during the third (or fourth?) media time out of the first half. It's been that way for years. The Cheerleaders do the same routines during the same media timeouts for every game, be it Rock Lobster or the flag routine.

What's your point? You never noticed the scripting when you were a student but have now that you sit upstairs? It hasn't changed.

hughgs
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM

k

I was tagged with announcing a volleyball game when Coach Nagel first started. Other than in-game comments, everything was scripted, including the time (to the minute) of what needed to be said. In fact, if you go to the scorer's table after a game you can sometimes see the schedule. And if volleyball back then was scripted then you know that basketball was/is worse.

Kimist
01-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I've been sitting upstairs since 1983. The Devil surfs during the first media time out. Crazie Towel Guy is called upon by the Crazies during the third (or fourth?) media time out of the first half. It's been that way for years. The Cheerleaders do the same routines during the same media timeouts for every game, be it Rock Lobster or the flag routine.

What's your point? You never noticed the scripting when you were a student but have now that you sit upstairs? It hasn't changed.

I think you just made my point.

This thread was supposedly about the new announcers. My apologies for ever bringing up the "routine" issues.

BTW: I've been sitting "upstairs" several years longer than you.

BTW#2: I think the time out scenarios HAVE changed since 1983, especially with the introduction of media time outs and the increase in games actually broadcast from CIS. Or have you forgotten the time when the ACC "Game of the Week" was broadcast around 1 pm on Saturday?

k

anon
01-23-2011, 03:43 AM
he didn't retire by his own choice….

Explanation, please?

Devilsfan
01-23-2011, 06:47 AM
As long as he doesn't get senile like Dickie V and start telling us about some high schooler from the fifties while we're trying to watch the game I'd say he's worth tollerating for a while. By that comment I mean to imply it could be a lot worse and I feel so fortunate to be in attendance in Cameron I really don't mind the announcer.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-23-2011, 08:46 AM
I think you just made my point.

This thread was supposedly about the new announcers. My apologies for ever bringing up the "routine" issues.

BTW: I've been sitting "upstairs" several years longer than you.

k
I realized your point as I was posting. ;)
I thought you were older than me! :cool:

Dev11
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Crazie Towel Guy is called upon by the Crazies during the third (or fourth?) media time out of the first half.

Third, but RARELY we miss it and do it on the fourth. It's much easier to stay consistent.

uh_no
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Third, but RARELY we miss it and do it on the fourth. It's much easier to stay consistent.

Thats the time to call him out, the 8 minute time out, but when needed, he stands of his own accord, as happened in the virginia game

moonpie23
01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Thats the time to call him out, the 8 minute time out, but when needed, he stands of his own accord, as happened in the virginia game

maybe we could all audition for the gig......i would...

uh_no
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
maybe we could all audition for the gig......i would...

you can't replace herb.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
During a hotly contested game or a ferocious comeback by the Devils, nothing throws cold water on the enthusiasm of the crowd more than an ad on the PA for the student stores or some aluminum company or something. The cheerleaders have to stand out on the court and look busy until he shuts up. Then Coach K has to come out and wave his arms in the air to get us all started again. If I were a business paying for the air time, the last thing I'd want to do is be the cause of that kind of downer (unless I were a Tarheel slanted business).

One other point. Kudos to somebody for arranging for the announcer to quickly move on to the next name, interrupting and squelching the boorish "you s____" during the opposing teams introductions. I'm grateful to be spared that embarrassment.
Love, Ima

B-well
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I tried not be so critical of PA Guy last night and listen differently to try to determine what has been causing me concern.

PA Guy has a nice voice, but I think the PA volume is much too loud - even with my hearing loss. He reads scripts well.

PA Guy appears to be very heavily scripted. Maybe that is what Sports Promo is paying him to do, but I would like for him to be more responsive to what is going on the floor or in the building. Last night, after an exhaustive list of anoouncements at halftime, he missed the return of Duke to the floor after halftime. No "HERE COMES DUKE" - Maybe he had gone to the head.

The scripting seems lacking in smoothness. There are periods when the cheerleaders and pep band seem to waiting around for someone to tell them when to start at timeouts. There is a timeout - and nothing seems to happen for a while. Maybe PA Guy is trying to find the copy he is hired to read during timeouts. It has a negative effect on spontaniety and crowd momentum. Maybe the Crazies can seize the opportunity and fill these blank moments without permission form the Sports Promo director.

I would like PA Guy to be more into the flow of the game. I think I heard PA guy give Nolan credit for an assist, but once again, there was no PA guy recognition of the 16 other assists and the six rejections. The 10 Duke 3's were announced with no flair, using the same voice he does for 3's by the visiting team.

I think PA Guy uses too much verbage in his foul and substitution calls. I can't imagine another 34 years of listening to him repeat over and over in a deliberate voice - "T h e---f o u l---h a s---b e e n---c h a r g e d---t o---D u k e.---N u m b e r---x x---T i n y---T i m.---H i s---f o u r t h---f o u l.---T h e---f i f t h---t e a m---f o u l."

One post mentioned, inter alia, that basketball is a fast moving game. It sure is, and I have loved Duke basketball since I was a little kid.

Maybe, if they would turn down the volume a couple of notches, I can just ignore PA Guy.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I tried not be so critical of PA Guy last night and listen differently to try to determine what has been causing me concern.

PA Guy has a nice voice, but I think the PA volume is much too loud - even with my hearing loss. He reads scripts well.

PA Guy appears to be very heavily scripted. Maybe that is what Sports Promo is paying him to do, but I would like for him to be more responsive to what is going on the floor or in the building. Last night, after an exhaustive list of anoouncements at halftime, he missed the return of Duke to the floor after halftime. No "HERE COMES DUKE" - Maybe he had gone to the head.

The scripting seems lacking in smoothness. There are periods when the cheerleaders and pep band seem to waiting around for someone to tell them when to start at timeouts. There is a timeout - and nothing seems to happen for a while. Maybe PA Guy is trying to find the copy he is hired to read during timeouts. It has a negative effect on spontaniety and crowd momentum. Maybe the Crazies can seize the opportunity and fill these blank moments without permission form the Sports Promo director.

I would like PA Guy to be more into the flow of the game. I think I heard PA guy give Nolan credit for an assist, but once again, there was no PA guy recognition of the 16 other assists and the six rejections. The 10 Duke 3's were announced with no flair, using the same voice he does for 3's by the visiting team.

I think PA Guy uses too much verbage in his foul and substitution calls. I can't imagine another 34 years of listening to him repeat over and over in a deliberate voice - "T h e---f o u l---h a s---b e e n---c h a r g e d---t o---D u k e.---N u m b e r---x x---T i n y---T i m.---H i s---f o u r t h---f o u l.---T h e---f i f t h---t e a m---f o u l."

One post mentioned, inter alia, that basketball is a fast moving game. It sure is, and I have loved Duke basketball since I was a little kid.

Maybe, if they would turn down the volume a couple of notches, I can just ignore PA Guy.
The volume needs to stay up so fans can hear clearly the important game related stuff announced - who a foul was called on and how many, who scored the basket, etc. I don't think he is too loud. Yeah, it's on the scoreboard overhead (when it's working), but it is nice to have that stuff announced. And substitutions, the players in and out, are good too. The ad crap, well, an unnecessary evil in today's world. I'm not crazy about his saying "Mason for Miles" or vice-versa, but so be it.

I asked about the video board "still" being out on one side last night (the side facing the pep band was out at the previous home game). Turns out it had already been repaired and and was working at the women's game Wednesday night. When they turned it on Thursday night, sizzle sizzle sizzle and it went out again. Oops.

B-well
01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
The volume needs to stay up so fans can hear clearly the important game related stuff announced - who a foul was called on and how many, who scored the basket, etc. I don't think he is too loud. Yeah, it's on the scoreboard overhead (when it's working), but it is nice to have that stuff announced. And substitutions, the players in and out, are good too. The ad crap, well, an unnecessary evil in today's world. I'm not crazy about his saying "Mason for Miles" or vice-versa, but so be it.

I asked about the video board "still" being out on one side last night (the side facing the pep band was out at the previous home game). Turns out it had already been repaired and and was working at the women's game Wednesday night. When they turned it on Thursday night, sizzle sizzle sizzle and it went out again. Oops.

Maybe the sound waves are frying the viseo board

Devilsfan
01-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Reliable help is so hard to find. Funny how it is still working facing the good seats. I also hope we don't have to hear Mason for Miles no wait Marshal for Mason, no it's Miles for Mason for Marshal. What ever happened to being professional.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Reliable help is so hard to find. Funny how it is still working facing the good seats. I also hope we don't have to hear Mason for Miles no wait Marshal for Mason, no it's Miles for Mason for Marshal. What ever happened to being professional.
There are quite a few good seats for which this is the view of the scoreboard. The former CEO of GM had the blank view Thursday night as did I.

uh_no
01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
There are quite a few good seats for which this is the view of the scoreboard.

There are bad seats in cameron?

DukeFencer
01-29-2011, 03:07 PM
The scripting seems lacking in smoothness. There are periods when the cheerleaders and pep band seem to waiting around for someone to tell them when to start at timeouts. There is a timeout - and nothing seems to happen for a while. Maybe PA Guy is trying to find the copy he is hired to read during timeouts.

I shadowed the marketing staff during a WCC basketball game this year as part of a project for graduate school. The "script" or "rundown" is written, as many have said, with a minute by minute account for what needs to happen. All dialogue, ads, and clues about any jingles or videoboard stuff to play is all in the order it needs to happen so he is probably not fumbling around the desk for what comes next. It's unlikely the announcer has any control over this - generally the marketing & promotions department is responsible for this. Unless the announcer is doubling as a marketing guy (which is possible, but I don't know his story), then the most he can do is make recommendations to the department.

However, it seems kind of weird to be missing things like "HERE COMES DUKE" - unless the new announcer is trying to make a different name for himself than the last? In which case I hope he is trying other ways to figure out his announcer identity?

uh_no
01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
However, it seems kind of weird to be missing things like "HERE COMES DUKE" - unless the new announcer is trying to make a different name for himself than the last? In which case I hope he is trying other ways to figure out his announcer identity?

He's announced for the football team for at least a few years.....so I doubt he's trying to figure out his 'announcer identity' What it comes down to is "Here comes duke" was someone else's line....We were spoiled for the past 30 years with the previous announcer, change is hard.

CBDUKE
01-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Personally, I like the "Miles for Mason". It is different and not many places can that be used.

Kimist
01-29-2011, 10:45 PM
He's announced for the football team for at least a few years.....so I doubt he's trying to figure out his 'announcer identity' What it comes down to is "Here comes duke" was someone else's line....We were spoiled for the past 30 years with the previous announcer, change is hard.

I'm not sure about "at least a few years" but current announcer in CIS is definitely the same one who did the 2010 football season in Wally Wade.

I always gritted my teeth with the constant "First Dowwwwwwwwn!!!" which occurred on the initial play after Duke received a kick-off (consider the Crimson Tide game) or a punt. Seems to my feeble mind such should be saved for whenever the offense has just "made" a first down.

OK - down from my soapbox - sorry.

k

Exiled_Devil
01-30-2011, 01:37 AM
you can't replace herb.

Seriously. When the time comes and Herb can't make it to games anymore, his seat should be painted black, have a towel draped over it and never sat in again. His seat deserves to be retired.

uh_no
01-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Seriously. When the time comes and Herb can't make it to games anymore, his seat should be painted black, have a towel draped over it and never sat in again. His seat deserves to be retired.

thats a darn good question....I wonder if he would continue to buy the tickets even if he couldn't make it to games to support the program......I'm not sure the athletic department would not sell the tickets, I imagine him going to games til the day he dies, and then the seat being left vacant for the remainder of the present season with a towel or something.....