Marv Albert/Steve Kerr*
Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery*
Gus Johnson/Len Elmore*
Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner
Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel

*Semi-final and Regional Final Announce Teams

Note: Nantz, Kellogg and Kerr will call the "First Four" and Final Four.

In-studio: Greg Gumbel, Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Greg Anthony
Other In-studio: Matt Winer, Steve Smith, Seth Davis, Reggie Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/14577551/cbs-sports-turner-sports-release-roster-of-ncaa-tournament-announcers

I like the addition of Steve Kerr. In fact, I like pretty much everybody on the list except Elmore ... who is terrible. I guess Bilas got cut out, though.

gewwang
01-21-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27157956

Excited to see the NBA TNT team will be doing some studio coverage. Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.

rsvman
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Dang it!

When I read the thread title I thought it meant that they had been "released," if you know what I mean. As in, FIRED.

I find many of them pretty annoying at this point.

94duke
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
CBS, Turner has released roster of NCAA Tournament announcers:

Jim Nantz/Clark Kellogg*
Marv Albert/Steve Kerr*
Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery*
Gus Johnson/Len Elmore*
Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner
Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel

*Semi-final and Regional Final Announce Teams

Note: Nantz, Kellogg and Kerr will call the "First Four" and Final Four.

In-studio: Greg Gumbel, Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Greg Anthony
Other In-studio: Matt Winer, Steve Smith, Seth Davis, Reggie Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/14577551/cbs-sports-turner-sports-release-roster-of-ncaa-tournament-announcers

I like the addition of Steve Kerr. In fact, I like pretty much everybody on the list except Elmore ... who is terrible. I guess Bilas got cut out, though.

Is Bilas exclusively with ESPN?

dukeimac
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd like to hear a game in which Dickie V and Bob Knight were the only two guys doing the game.

I think that would be more entertaining then the game. We would have a very good idea of what the players were doing right and what they were doing wrong. But I could see Knight reach over and grab Dickie by the throat once or twice.

Bluedog
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Dang it!

When I read the thread title I thought it meant that they had been "released," if you know what I mean. As in, FIRED.

I find many of them pretty annoying at this point.

Sorry, it is a bit misleading title. My mistake. I was going to say "announcers announced" but thought that'd be a bit repetitive. ;) A mod can feel free to rename to make it more clear.

Who do you find annoying? Definitely Elmore, and maybe Kellogg sometimes, but I like or am okay with pretty much everybody else. I can see how some might grow weary with Lundquist/Raftery, but I actually find them enjoyable. Much better than ESPN's teams, in my mind.

Is Bilas exclusively with ESPN?

Nope, he's done the NCAA tournament for CBS the last several years. Elmore also is still doing it and he's with ESPN during the season.

crimsonandblue
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I'd like to hear a game in which Dickie V and Bob Knight were the only two guys doing the game.

I think that would be more entertaining then the game. We would have a very good idea of what the players were doing right and what they were doing wrong. But I could see Knight reach over and grab Dickie by the throat once or twice.

I seriously doubt we'd get any discussion of what the players were doing at all.

cwiley
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Nope, he's done the NCAA tournament for CBS the last several years. Elmore also is still doing it and he's with ESPN during the season.

According to USAToday media column, Bilas' contract now is exclusive to ESPN.

Bluedog
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
According to USAToday media column, Bilas' contract now is exclusive to ESPN.

Oh, I didn't realize it changed. My mistake.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM

KNIGHT: "Watch how Singler squares to the basket at the top of the key. This allows him to shoot, drive, or pass down to Kelly who has sealed off the defender on the low block."

VITALE: "I was talking to Jim Calhoun about Singler at the Jimmy V Foundation Dinner last year, where we raised money for the Jimmy V Foundation and all of the great, great work the foundation does. Boy, wouldn't it have been great if Jim Calhoun and Jimmy V could have coached against each other? Wow, man, talk about slam bam jam city, baby!! They'd tear down the rims!"

KNIGHT: "Shut up, Dick."

That's about how well that would go.

gw67
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him. Kellogg is a whole lot better than he was before he went to the studio for several years; however, his continual attempts at being clever annoy me. Personally, of those color men listed, I like Jim Spanarkel the best but that may be the result of listening to too many games with Gminski, Raftery and Elmore. I look forward to hearing Kerr, the best long range shooter of all time. Not that interested in listenening to the NBA-types analyze the games but I could be surprised.

gw67

taiw93
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I think any thread remotely related to Gus Johnson is incomplete without a link to this. (http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/)

In all seriousness though, I do like most of the announcers this year, especially the inclusion of the Brando and G-Man team (I don't recall them doing the tournament in previous years...) - obviously with the exception of Len Elmore. However, I am quite disappointed that Bilas is no longer covering the Dance, as I do find his analysis (that is, when it is not about Duke) to be very accurate and insightful. And of course, I would have been doing cartwheels had Knight been included on the list.

BlueandWhite
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him. Kellogg is a whole lot better than he was before he went to the studio for several years; however, his continual attempts at being clever annoy me. Personally, of those color men listed, I like Jim Spanarkel the best but that may be the result of listening to too many games with Gminski, Raftery and Elmore. I look forward to hearing Kerr, the best long range shooter of all time. Not that interested in listenening to the NBA-types analyze the games but I could be surprised.

gw67

I still really enjoy the Raftery/Lundquist team even though it seems they've been announcing games together since Reagan was President (maybe it has been that long?)

Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/ Dan Bonner - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Seriously, Harlan's monotone delivery puts me to sleep, I'd just rather turn the volume off. I feel sorry for the people in the Midwest who always have to hear him cover games.

Agree that Clark Kellogg is much better than he used to be.

Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel - ???

-jk
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
So we only have three Dukies this year. Our hegemony is cracking!

-jk

Oriole Way
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I really like Steve Kerr... he really knows his basketball, and he's very succinct and well-spoken. Of course, the best addition of all is Charles Barkley. Most studio analysis is completely worthless, with the exception of Sir Charles making me laugh.

gumbomoop
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Dan Bonner fan here, and I know there are a few others on DBR board, because I recall being pleasantly surprised [on a thread a year or more back] at the several other Bonner fans who praised his solid work.

When I first saw/heard him, he seemed a bit, well, goofy [maybe that broad smile]. But he focuses on the game, the action, provides good insights, some telling details.

Dan Bonner for President!

Or something.

Jeff Frosh
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
So we only have three Dukies this year. Our hegemony is cracking!

-jk

As a 1980 graduate, I find it interesting to note that the three Dukies are all pre-Coach K, which obviously makes them ancient. ;)

weezie
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I like all the announcers listed although Gus Johnson comes on a little too strong for me at times. Must be an age thing because all three of my sons like him.

What?! I'm shocked! Shocked to the core! Gus Johnson is the best! A Detroit boy, great voice! "AND BURIES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Paired with mumblymouth old sourpuss Elmore, though, ugh. Seems like we never get Gus doing our games though, and still I would prefer to be at the game than watch tv any time.

Indoor66
01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
What?! I'm shocked! Shocked to the core! Gus Johnson is the best! A Detroit boy, great voice! "AND BURIES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Paired with mumblymouth old sourpuss Elmore, though, ugh. Seems like we never get Gus doing our games though, and still I would prefer to be at the game than watch tv any time.

I find Johnson to be overbearing and quite irritating. I prefer announcers who do not project themselves into the game. Johnson does.

Farn
01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I find Johnson to be overbearing and quite irritating. I prefer announcers who do not project themselves into the game. Johnson does.

I love Gus. He could make watching paint dry sound great. In my opinion he's the best play by play man in college hoops. Sadly he's paired with Elmore.....

hurleyfor3
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Paired with mumblymouth old sourpuss Elmore, though, ugh. Seems like we never get Gus doing our games though

But we get Elmore all the time. Maybe that'll tip the scales in our favor.

As many people here are aware, there is a pecking order to who gets which site. Nantz/Cornflakes pick first, followed by Verne/Len I believe.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
But we get Elmore all the time. Maybe that'll tip the scales in our favor.

Like to think it, but nope. Once a Terp, always a Terp. Plus, we make him climb up to the crow's nest to call the games. That can't be easy for a guy that big with creaky knees.

Sandman
01-21-2011, 05:20 PM
KNIGHT: "Watch how Singler squares to the basket at the top of the key. This allows him to shoot, drive, or pass down to Kelly who has sealed off the defender on the low block."

VITALE: "I was talking to Jim Calhoun about Singler at the Jimmy V Foundation Dinner last year, where we raised money for the Jimmy V Foundation and all of the great, great work the foundation does. Boy, wouldn't it have been great if Jim Calhoun and Jimmy V could have coached against each other? Wow, man, talk about slam bam jam city, baby!! They'd tear down the rims!"

KNIGHT: "Shut up, Dick."

That's about how well that would go.

OPK, This really made my day -- I laughed out loud! You have scarily channeled Vitale and truly captured his essence. THANKS.

diveonthefloor
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll miss Bilas also.....but I assume he will have a lead role (as will Knight) in ESPN coverage during the tourney .

verga
01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
i don't care for Charles Barkley and i could care less for anything related to the NBA. I've seen Barkley and Kenny Smith together before and found them lacking. Anything connected to the NBA is bad for college basketball. Now if they could just get rid of Vitale and Digger Phelps it might actually be enjoyable to watch some of ESPN's programming. The only other announcer that i can leave alone is Gus Johnson, if you could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he think's he's worth you'd have something. I guess you can tell i'm not to sweet on the NBA, as with all things it's JMO.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Marv is a really cool addition. I always thought he was strictly a pro sports guy. I'd love to hear him do a few trademarked "Yes... and it counts" on some of Nolan's drives.

ajgoodfella7
01-21-2011, 11:05 PM

I agree with you 100%. I don't need to hear a bombastic 20-second scream about a first half traveling violation. I have never been a fan of his, even less so when he does NFL games.

Philsfan
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd pay extra to watch a Final Four called by Gus...would rather listen to almost anyone other than Nantz..stuffed suits are boring!

CrazieDUMB
01-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Didn't ESPN do an NBA-College announcers switch at some point as some part of a weekend gimmick? I seem to remember Jeff Van Gundy calling a Duke game.

Emeritus
01-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Like to think it, but nope. Once a Terp, always a Terp. Plus, we make him climb up to the crow's nest to call the games. That can't be easy for a guy that big with creaky knees.

Couldn't agree more...only one small spelling correction: should read "Once a Terp, always a Twerp". Thank God that Patrick guy isn't calling any games. He give dimentia a bad name. I'll bet he has to drop bread crumbs to find his way back to his car after the game.

godukerocks
01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Didn't ESPN do an NBA-College announcers switch at some point as some part of a weekend gimmick? I seem to remember Jeff Van Gundy calling a Duke game.

Indeed. Breen, Jackson, and Van Gundy called the Davidson - Duke game, and Shulman and Vitale called the Nuggets game I believe.

oldnavy
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
OPK, This really made my day -- I laughed out loud! You have scarily channeled Vitale and truly captured his essence. THANKS.

Agree, that was very funny! Of course at some point in the first half most likely, BK would just reach over and choke Dickie V unconscious

throatybeard
01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Normally, I don't like loudness and self-promotion, but Gus Johnson provides something your Vitales do not: he's really, really funny. Purrrrrrrrre.

Cameron
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Reggie Miller is my favorite basketball player of all-time, but he's a terrible announcer. If I wanted Steve Harvey presiding over my game, I'd write TBS. I don't want to hear Reggie or Jeff Van Gundy cracking knee-slappers about Chris Webber as Kyle Singler is dribbling the ball, in need of a game-winning basket with seven seconds left.

And Charles, Kenny and Ernie incorporated into the studio? What's wrong with Greg Gumble, Seth Davis and Greg Anthony? We might as well replace Jim Nantz with Craig Sager and play the entire tournament in the Staples Center with home and away Lakers jerseys dividing the teams.

No thanks to the club comedy and flamboyance that goes along with the TNT crew on most nights. Not in March. There is always room for colorful personalities -- Al McGuire was one of my favorite color guys ever -- but I've always enjoyed the NCAA Tournament for the conventionally carefully chosen team of announcers that presides over its games* and elevates the event to a level of import that feels bigger than simply sport. Give me Dick Enberg calling the game wearing a revolutionary war hat and I'm euphoric.

*This disremembers the the lone tournament of 2003 in which Kareem Abdul-Jabbar weirdly announced games.

Verga3
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I like these pairings. Most guys have worked together before and will be comfortable in that regard. I don't recall seeing Gus Johnson and Len Elmore work together, although I'm sure they probably have....This is the only duo pick that seemed not to fit for me. I'm a big Gus fan....love the energy. Just hope Len doesn't suck the juice out of him.

As an old guy...Lundquist and Raftery are always a touchstone. "Send it in!"

Can't wait! GO DUKE!!!

4decadedukie
01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Elmore is terrible: not well informed, biased, sometime blind, and (IMHO) not too bright. To illustrate, during today's Wake game he:
a) indicated that last year's team was flawed "down the stretch" due to physical ill conditioning;
b) stated that a clear block in the back foul was "going for the ball."

I nominate him for the "Billy Packer shameful excuse for expertise" award.

gumbomoop
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I hope Doris Burke gets more games this season. Didn't she do the Nova-Cuse game yesterday? [Only 24 hours ago, but I watched snippets of far too many game, so it's all a muddle....] She's maybe an ESPN-only announcer, but she strikes me as informed and informative. I'm hoping she's a rising star.

kmspeaks
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Elmore is terrible: not well informed, biased, sometime blind, and (IMHO) not too bright. To illustrate, during today's Wake game he:
a) indicated that last year's team was flawed "down the stretch" due to physical ill conditioning;
b) stated that a clear block in the back foul was "going for the ball."

I nominate him for the "Billy Packer shameful excuse for expertise" award.

He went beyond calling last year's team flawed. He said that having Scheyer play that many minutes "cost Duke down the stretch." Yep, that 10 game winning streak was just terrible. It's too bad we didn't have another guard on the team then we might have actually deserved that national championship instead of having it handed to us by the selection committee. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the nomination process is for the Packer award but I definitely provide a second if needed! :D

4decadedukie
01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
He said that having Scheyer play that many minutes "cost Duke down the stretch."

Elmore is an uniformed fool, an idiot. On the other hand, Scheyer's leadership, adaptability, selflessness, basketball savvy, tenaciousness, defense and clutch play resulted in the Regular season ACC Championship (in a tie with Maryland), the ACC Championship, a #1 NCAA Tournament seed, a trip to the Final Four, and the National Championship. Sometimes analysis, debate and discussion are unnecessary -- the facts speak for themselves. This is once such occasion. To reiterate: Elmore is an uniformed fool, an idiot.

OldPhiKap
01-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Not to align myself with Elmore, but some seem to forget that Jon REALLY struggled down the stretch. There was some questions on this board (and in general) about when or whether he would snap out in time for the tourney. I seem to remember him hitting a crazy shot against GT in the ACC final that got him rolling. But I do not dismiss the idea that Jon hit the wall for the last few weeks of February last year.

4decadedukie
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Not to align myself with Elmore, but some seem to forget that Jon REALLY struggled down the stretch. There was some questions on this board (and in general) about when or whether he would snap out in time for the tourney. I seem to remember him hitting a crazy shot against GT in the ACC final that got him rolling. But I do not dismiss the idea that Jon hit the wall for the last few weeks of February last year.

None of which invalidates my statement: "Scheyer's leadership, adaptability, selflessness, basketball savvy, tenaciousness, defense and clutch play resulted in the Regular season ACC Championship (in a tie with Maryland), the ACC Championship, a #1 NCAA Tournament seed, a trip to the Final Four, and the National Championship."

kmspeaks
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Whether or not he hit the wall is irrelevant. Elmore said that his tiredness cost Duke. As 4decadukie already stated last season Duke won a Regular season ACC Championship (in a tie with Maryland), the ACC Championship, a #1 NCAA Tournament seed, a trip to the Final Four, and the National Championship. So while one can certainly argue that Jon's minutes may have cost him some individual awards or production it did not cost his team anything. They still won all the titles available to them.

OldPhiKap
01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
None of which invalidates my statement: "Scheyer's leadership, adaptability, selflessness, basketball savvy, tenaciousness, defense and clutch play resulted in the Regular season ACC Championship (in a tie with Maryland), the ACC Championship, a #1 NCAA Tournament seed, a trip to the Final Four, and the National Championship."

We may be talking past each other. Yes, we had a great season and finished with the hardware. That doesn't mean that we were in serious jeopardy because Jon was struggling (for whatever reason).

Did Jon's struggles cost us at the end? No. Could it have? Sure.

Was tired legs the cause of his struggles? None of us know. But if someone like Elmore (or posters on this board) want to suggest that it was, I do not think that is an unreasonable suggestion.

Exiled_Devil
01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27157956

Excited to see the NBA TNT team will be doing some studio coverage. Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.

I have the exact opposite reaction. I do not look forward to the amount of conversation given over to "pro potential of xyz player", how the NCAA really needs the charge circle and analysis and commentary that is more about a different game than college basketball.

I hope its not true, but I recall the ESPN "NBA announcers do college, college announcers do NBA" being pretty poor announcing.

brevity
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Can't wait to see Charles give Kenny Smith the business if UNC makes it and goes down in the first weekend.

Exactly. Some of you complain now, but all is forgiven once you hear the magic words from Sir Charles: "Carolina is turrible."

And you will.

gwlaw99
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM

I would love to see Knight go off on Vitale for making his normal moronic comments.

78Devil
01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Each year, I really dislike transitioning from the ESPN announcers, who really know college BB, to the CBS announcers, many of which really don't, but may (or may not) be good pro announcers. And I truly despise Marv Albert.

Its just not college basketball without Jay Bilas, Knight and others. So I am very disappointed in this lineup.