PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 69 GT 32 (Duke last unbeaten women's team)

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
As of last night, Duke is the last unbeaten team in women's basketball (FGCU lost to Stetson). Tonight, they will be put to the test again against a good and tough GT team. The Yellow Jackets beat unc in Atlanta earlier this month, after the heels blew a lead and got stung in the closing seconds.
The game is 6:30, on TV (Fox Sports South), we'll be chatting in Section 21 (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat). Here are the game notes from goduke.com.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&ATCLID=205079393&DB_OEM_ID=4200

MCFinARL
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
In the DC area, it's playing on Comcast SportsNet.

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Not the strong start I was hoping for...good thing we rebound well...too bad we can't put it back in the bucket.

stillcrazie
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Not the strong start I was hoping for...good thing we rebound well...too bad we can't put it back in the bucket.

True. And Tech can't score either. Those threes from Liston and Wells are keeping us in this. I think we will figure it out.

stillcrazie
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Duke up 26-15 (!) at the half! Krystal seems to have kept up her momentum from the last few games where she's played well. Jasmine is doing what she can on that ankle. Chelsea Gray is a star in the making.

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Will GT make it to 30? I think so..but awesome D by Duke...also..really good D by the Yellow Jackets.

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
52-24 Duke with 9 left...More Than Double!:D

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Under 5 to go, it's 62-29 Blue Devils. This is one of the most amazing defensive performances the ladies have put on the floor. I just mentioned in chat, we don't score pretty, but with this D we are as ready for the trip to Storrs as we are going to be.

stillcrazie
01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Everyone's contributing. Our defense does not let up. I love this team! Krystal with the double double. Hoping Chelsea is okay. Not sure what happened to her.

burnspbesq
01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
"Tonight, they will be put to the test again against a good and tough GT team."

Not so much, as it turned out. What happened to the 16-4, 4-0 in conference Jackets? Defensive clinic, OK, but did they also not show up?

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
WOW. That was awesome. GT...they are a good team..don't be fooled. Maybe it was a deer in the headlights thing. Great game by the ladies, especially once the offense started flowing. Also..once again, great contributions by the freshmen. Alana leaves Cameron happy tonight.

stillcrazie
01-21-2011, 08:35 PM
"Tonight, they will be put to the test again against a good and tough GT team."

Not so much, as it turned out. What happened to the 16-4, 4-0 in conference Jackets? Defensive clinic, OK, but did they also not show up?

They put up a fight in the first ten minutes or so but were totally outplayed after that!

burnspbesq
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
On to Reynolds. And on teevee!

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Just learned that tonight was P's 100th victory on the Duke bench. Congrats Coach!

burnspbesq
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
GT wins the games they are supposed to win, and loses the games they are supposed to lose. They are 1-4 against ranked teams, and the win was by one, at home, against Carolina. Let's see how they do against Maryland, FSU, Miami, and BC.

jimsumner
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
This was a pretty impressive beat-down. Duke just out-toughed Tech, out-worked Tech, out-performed them in every area. Tech's stat lines read like a bad joke. Their leading scorers scored six points. Duke outrebounded Tech by 15 and forced 32!! turnovers. Tech shot less than 20 percent on threes, less than 30 percent over all and less than fifty percent from the line.

Joseph called out Montgomery after the game, saying she needs to lead the freshmen not follow their lead. Speaking of freshmen, Ty Marshall had a miserable game. Of course, so did everyone else on their team.

Want a stunning stat. GT had 32 points and 32 turnovers. Ever see that from a 4-0 ACC team?

chrishoke
01-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Great win - congrats to the team!
Thank God Jas didn't really hurt her ankle.

buddy
01-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Our defense is a thing of beauty, even if our offense is not. This was an astounding outcome. I expected to win, but I did not expect this kind of domination of GT. I understand they "win the ones they are supposed to win, and lose the ones they are supposed to lose", but a more than double beatdown, where GT's points equalled their turnovers was unexpected. Good to see everyone score. We have players at the end of our bench that other teams would die for. Jasmine Thomas did not score a basket until more than four minutes had elapsed in the second half. She had two points (both foul shots) in the first half, yet we had control of the game at halftime. Went over eight minutes of the first half without a basket, yet led by 11 at halftime. Very impressive defensive performance. We will have to shoot much more impressively to have any chance against Con U.

stillcrazie
01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Great win - congrats to the team!
Thank God Jas didn't really hurt her ankle.

There is no doubt she was playing in pain. I am sure that ankle is going to be swollen and sore for several days, but the staff kept it wrapped tightly for the rest of the game. She is going to have to work through this. Not sure what happened to Chelsea Gray - she was doubled over toward the end of the second half but I didn't see any contact.

jimsumner
01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
There is no doubt she was playing in pain. I am sure that ankle is going to be swollen and sore for several days, but the staff kept it wrapped tightly for the rest of the game. She is going to have to work through this. Not sure what happened to Chelsea Gray - she was doubled over toward the end of the second half but I didn't see any contact.

Chelsea said she had the wind knocked out of her.

stillcrazie
01-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Chelsea said she had the wind knocked out of her.

Thanks, I just read that on http://www.dwhoops.com/

This site has great photos after every game, along with a recap, stats, etc.

wandalee
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Alana Beard was in attendance last night. She got a great standing ovation. It was nice to have her back.