PDA

View Full Version : Very nice read on Ryan Kelly

GODUKEGO
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
This appeared in today's Raleigh News & Observer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/21/934081/kelly-gets-it-done-for-duke.html

jipops
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
It is very nice what we are seeing as Kelly is developing as a player. The strides he has made since last season have been significant but I think he has always brought a little bit of everything to the table. I think every year at Duke he is going to see his role increase. As K has stated, Ryan is a weapon.

hokieDEVIL83
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
He gets better each game as he gains experience and thats all you can ask. He's the typical 4 year Duke player that Coach K will get the most out of. Once Singler leaves next year, I see his role getting much bigger offensively.

elvis14
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I was surprised to read in that article that Ryan rarely attempted a 3 in high school. I always heard he had a reputation as a big man that could shoot and assumed he was hitting a few 3's in high school to earn that reputation. With his size, if he can hit the 3 with a little more accuracy he becomes a great weapon on offense. Opposing 4's really don't want to have to leave the paint and having him at the 3 point line will lead to open 3's for RK or an open lane for Nolan and others.

I liked Ryan last year and even more this year. In some ways he reminds me of David McClure in that he is in the right place at the right time and plays really smart basketball. The difference is that Ryan has much more potential on the offensive end of the court than DM did.

Jeff Frosh
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
So, Ryan rarely attempted a 3 in high school games and then won the 3-point shooting contest at the McDonald's game. I found that very interesting. Perhaps he was good enough to consistently get better shots inside, but it seems like that is not utilizing a pretty good weapon.

MChambers
01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
So, Ryan rarely attempted a 3 in high school games and then won the 3-point shooting contest at the McDonald's game. I found that very interesting. Perhaps he was good enough to consistently get better shots inside, but it seems like that is not utilizing a pretty good weapon.
In high school, few players were as tall as him, so he didn't need to shoot from the perimeter.

dball
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
In high school, few players were as tall as him, so he didn't need to shoot from the perimeter.

Speaking to Ryan's high basketball IQ (which has been noted previously).

Indoor66
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Actually, in college few players are as tall as him, but I see you point. If he continues to develop his skills he will have a long, prosperous career among the play for pay guys.

4decadedukie
01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Ryan learns, he improves, his basketball savvy is high, he is developing into a defender and a parameter player in addition to an inside presence, and he's a sophomore -- and likely a four-year player -- with continuous, annual improvement possible, perhaps likely. I suspect that by the 2012-2013 season, he will be all ACC (although not necessarily first team). He is constantly growing in my esteem.

1991 duke law
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Heck, I'm impressed that his dad went to Yale. Obviously the genes are good at many levels.

Indoor66
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Heck, I'm impressed that his dad went to Yale. Obviously the genes are good at many levels.

I believe his mother is Head of School (http://www.ravenscroft.org/page.cfm?p=12) at Revenscroft School, as well. Good genes.

miramar
01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Ryan is a fourth generation college basketball player, so the family must be doing something right.

The article mentioned that he put on 15 pounds over the summer, as we all know, but it seems that this is the second time that he's had to bulk up. According to an article from his high school days, he put on 20 pounds between his sophomore and junior years at Ravenscroft, so this is a kid who has really had to work to get himself physically ready to play at Duke and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/story/3681164/

ElSid
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Ryan is a fourth generation college basketball player, so the family must be doing something right.

The article mentioned that he put on 15 pounds over the summer, as we all know, but it seems that this is the second time that he's had to bulk up. According to an article from his high school days, he put on 20 pounds between his sophomore and junior years at Ravenscroft, so this is a kid who has really had to work to get himself physically ready to play at Duke and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/story/3681164/

I heard he's dating Bill Cowher's daughter who is also like 6'4". They're going to have mighty oak children.

I think I put on about 10-20lbs between sophomore and junior seasons of high school just by being young and growing and eating like a horse. Between junior and senior year, I probably added 10-15 by doing the same but also lifting a decent amount of weights for football...so, I think the point of kelly's ability to put on wait is less interesting the younger you look back.

GODUKEGO
01-26-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.foxsportssouth.com/01/24/11/Dukes-Kelly-Taking-Shape/landing.html?blockID=396636&feedID=4354