PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke @ NC State

pfrduke
01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Marked contrast in style (and performance) to the Virginia came - that was all about tight, small rotations - just 11 lineups in total, including two lineups used at least 5 separate times in the game. Wednesday was much more free flowing - 12 different lineups in the first half and 19 in total. That rotation helped keep fresh bodies on the court and wore down state as the game went on.

Individuals
Miles Plumlee 55-36 (+19)
Tyler Thornton 29-16 (+13)
Nolan Smith 90-78 (+12)
Kyle Singler 87+76 (+11)
Ryan Kelly 50-39 (+11)
Andre Dawkins 41-35 (+6)
Josh Hairston 15-13 (+2)
Seth Curry 36-36 (0)
Mason Plumlee 57-61 (-4)

Per 40 Minutes
Tyler Thornton +47.3
Miles Plumlee +36.2
Ryan Kelly +18.3
Josh Hairston +16.0
Kyle Singler +12.6
Nolan Smith +12.3
Andre Dawkins +10.4
Seth Curry +0.0
Mason Plumlee -6.2

Lineups (Score, times used, margin)
Thornton-Smith-Singler-Kelly-Miles (12-2, x2, +10)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Hairston-Miles (4-1, x1, +3)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (8-6, x1, +2)
Thornton-Smith-Dawkins-Kelly-Miles (3-1, x1, +2)
Thornton-Curry-Dawkins-Kelly-Miles (2-0, x1, +2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Kelly (17-16, x4, +1)
Thornton-Smith-Singler-Hairston-Miles (7-6, x1, +1)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Kelly-Miles (7-6, x1, +1)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Hairston-Mason (4-3, x2, +1)
Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (4-4, x2, 0)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (10-10, x1, 0)
Thornton-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (3-3, x1, 0)
Thornton-Smith-Dawkins-Mason-Kelly (0-0, x1, 0)
Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (0-0, x1, 0)
Thornton-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (2-3, x1, -1)
Thornton-Smith-Singler-Mason-Kelly (0-1, x1, -1)
Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Kelly-Miles (0-1, x1, -1)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Kelly (9-12, x3, -3)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Hairston-Mason (0-3, x1, -3)

CDu
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
And here's a case where I think the randomness of in-game +/- rears its head. I felt that Mason played well. His defensive effort was great, his rebounding was strong, and he was setting good screens and making good decisions whenever he got the ball. Unfortunately for him, the team seemed to have more struggles (relatively) while he was on the floor. I'm really not convinced that the +/- of -4 is really reflective of the quality of his play.

Sometimes, as a role player, you can do everything right and the results just don't work out (through no fault of your own). I'm not saying that Mason did everything right, but I thought his play was much better than a -4 would suggest.

superdave
01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I think it gives Nolan a boost to be able to play off the ball at least a little bit during games. He's our best creator, but sometimes having a little of that pressure relived is good, and sometimes seeing our offense from the 2 rather than the 1 gives him better perspective. That's why I hope Thornton and Curry can play the 1 at times.

pfrduke
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I think it gives Nolan a boost to be able to play off the ball at least a little bit during games. He's our best creator, but sometimes having a little of that pressure relived is good, and sometimes seeing our offense from the 2 rather than the 1 gives him better perspective. That's why I hope Thornton and Curry can play the 1 at times.

+11 at the 2 vs. +1 at the 1 against State.*

*He was almost certainly playing the role of point guard some (if not much) of the time that Thornton was on the court, so that's not necessarily an accurate split.

nocilla
01-21-2011, 11:49 AM

I noticed a couple times in the State game where Tyler had the ball in the backcourt and began to bring it up but Nolan went to him and held his hands out asking for the ball which Tyler promptly passed to him. I don't know if he just wanted to have the ball in his hands or if K had instructed him to bring the ball up, but it seemed like Nolan was playing the PG even with Tyler on the floor.

CDu
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
+11 at the 2 vs. +1 at the 1 against State.*

*He was almost certainly playing the role of point guard some (if not much) of the time that Thornton was on the court, so that's not necessarily an accurate split.

Yeah, I think that asterisk is very appropriate. I don't recall Thornton handling the primary ballhandling responsibilities even when he was in. Smith handled the role most of the game regardless of who shared the backcourt with him.

RoyalBlue08
01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I think the change for Nolan when Tyler was in was more that he was guarding the 2 at the other end of the floor and Tyler was guarding the State PG.