PDA

View Full Version : Rick Petri hired as Duke Defensive Line Coach

pbc2
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/rick-petri-joins-duke-football-staff/

Very nice addition to the Duke staff.

Last year, Miami ranked first in the country in tackles for loss and 9th in sacks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/rick-petri-joins-duke-football-staff/

Very nice addition to the Duke staff.

Last year, Miami ranked first in the country in tackles for loss and 9th in sacks.
This is good news. Coach Cutcliffe is clearly very excited about the coaches will be working with the defense.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Looks like he has been involved with a number of successful teams over the years, including that fun Ol' Miss team with Cut. Our front line is young, so time to get in there and coach 'em up!!!

Gewebe14
01-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Any thoughts on how we would get a coach from Miami? Is this a promotion or did he get fired there...?

OldPhiKap
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Any thoughts on how we would get a coach from Miami? Is this a promotion or did he get fired there...?

I assume it was because he coached with Cut at Ol' Miss. Cut is very loyal to his staffs, and his staffs seem very loyal to him. It looks like Miami had a pretty good defense last year. But I'm speculating about all of this.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
With the change in head coaches at Miami, this might be good timing for an old friend to rejoin Coach Cutcliffe's staff. Just look at his body of work!

Olympic Fan
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I think this guy will inherit a huge opportunity.

The defensive line was Duke's biggest weakness last year. Actually, by the end of the year, it was almost decent against the run, but never ever generated anything that resembled a pass rush.

Okay, it takes time to build and with the graduation of the strongest crop of DLs in many years (Oghobaase, Opokowurk and company),plus the unfortunate dismissal of John Drew, we knew that would be a problem area.

Petri will have to replace two veteran DEs -- Egboh and Oglesby. He has a solid senior DT returning in Charlie Hatcher. A developing sophmore DT in Sidney Sarmiento and two potentially decent DEs in Justin Foxx and Kenny Anunike (but they still have top prove it).

But the real key will be a huge group of DL prospects that Duke redshirted last fall. Got to say, none of these guys were prime recruiting prospects, but there is some potential there. DT Jamal Bruce was the best looking of the redshirts in preseason, maybe just ahead of DT Nick Sink. But DT Steve Ingram and DT Will Bryant have great size, if they could develop. At end, Dez Johnson and Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo are very promising.

Plus, it's a longshot, but Brandon Putnam, a very promising DE who was dismissed along with Drew, is back in school and might have a chance to come back (although don't count on it).

My point is that Petri has a lot of young players to try and mold. Hatcher is about the only proven ACC quality DL returning ... and here's merely solid, not great.

His success wil go a long way toward determining how optimistic we ought to be about next season.

-bdbd
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
He sounds like a great hire and a really good fit under Cut and at Duke.

Is this - the coaching changees from Duke to Clemson and Miami to Duke - likely to have any recruiting impact? Are there any top D-side (incl D-line) prospects that we are pursuing still who might be influenced by the change? Probably too late for any Mia recuits to follow Coach Petri here. How about any D-line commits for us, who might have been wavering. I can't imagine that adding a coach with that impressive track record can do anything but help with the staff's credibility and, therefore, recruiting. Thoughts?

pbc2
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
He sounds like a great hire and a really good fit under Cut and at Duke.

Is this - the coaching changees from Duke to Clemson and Miami to Duke - likely to have any recruiting impact? Are there any top D-side (incl D-line) prospects that we are pursuing still who might be influenced by the change? Probably too late for any Mia recuits to follow Coach Petri here. How about any D-line commits for us, who might have been wavering. I can't imagine that adding a coach with that impressive track record can do anything but help with the staff's credibility and, therefore, recruiting. Thoughts?

At this late point, would not expect any significant changes to Duke's class. David Reeves is the top outstanding target, and an interview is posted in the recruiting thread.

peloton
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Great hire for Coach Cut and Duke football! This makes me even more excited in regard to the upcoming season.