PDA

View Full Version : Florida State to challenge for 1st?

gofurman
01-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I could see them going 12-4 looking at their schedule. Wish they would have lost to Miami tonight.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I could see them going 12-4 looking at their schedule. Wish they would have lost to Miami tonight.
12-4 will leave them solidly in second place. Tie breakers will not come into play.

JasonEvans
01-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, Duke does have some very tough games remaining such as at Maryland and at UNC. I agree that 12-4 probably does not get you 1st place in the ACC, but it may come uncomfortably close.

Frankly, I want FSU to post a gaudy record and look impressive. It makes our loss to them look less aberrant.

Road wins are key. FSU has one now and has the gift of playign both Ga Tech and Wake on the road, which should be 2 fairly easy wins. Somehow, FSU only gets Duke, Maryland, and Va Tech once each -- which makes their ACC slate criminally easy compared to most teams. The teams they play twice are Clemson, Miami, NC St, Wake, and UNC. That's a gift!

-Jason "FSU could challenge us... but I think that is good. It will keep Duke focused" Evans

OldPhiKap
01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
FSU (and, unfortunately, UNC) both have defenses that will allow them to compete for the upper levels. If FSU could maintain its intensity for every game, not just "the big ones," they could end up in the race for the top three or four spots. (Including #1 -- we are far from a lock although it would be an upset if we do not clamp it down).

gofurman
01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
When I posted this the basic thought I surmised from those that replied was that Duke would be fine at 13-3 I think.

I think we are now seeing my point. It may not be FSU that pushes us - maybe UNC? ugh - but I am not so sure Duke finishes but 12-4... hopefully we get 13-3 which UNC could hit around 12-4 too.

FSU losing yesterday helped us though. Basically it is back to Duke and UNC for top two.

CDu
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
When I posted this the basic thought I surmised from those that replied was that Duke would be fine at 13-3 I think.

I think we are now seeing my point. It may not be FSU that pushes us - maybe UNC? ugh - but I am not so sure Duke finishes but 12-4... hopefully we get 13-3 which UNC could hit around 12-4 too.

FSU losing yesterday helped us though. Basically it is back to Duke and UNC for top two.

UNC has a lot of work ahead of them, as does FSU (who I just don't think is that good anyway). UNC has to go to BC, 2 games against FSU and us, at Clemson, and vs Maryland. There are lots of opportunities for losses in those games, especially considering that they haven't exactly proven much yet.

I think we'll win the conference, mainly because I'm not convinced either UNC, FSU, or Clemson can win enough games to threaten us.

gofurman
01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
UNC has a lot of work ahead of them, as does FSU (who I just don't think is that good anyway). UNC has to go to BC, 2 games against FSU and us, at Clemson, and vs Maryland. There are lots of opportunities for losses in those games, especially considering that they haven't exactly proven much yet.

I think we'll win the conference, mainly because I'm not convinced either UNC, FSU, or Clemson can win enough games to threaten us.

As long as we win I am happy. Love for UNC to get third or lower - that would put them in a tough seed. Go Tigers. I think Brownell is doing a good job with not a lot of talent.