PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Georgia Tech 78, UNC-CH 58

-bdbd
01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Carolina about to lose its "undefeated-in-the-ACC" status, down by thirteen at Ga Tech with under 4 minutes remaining. They seem to be conceding the inevitable.

arnie
01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Carolina about to lose its "undefeated-in-the-ACC" status, down by thirteen at Ga Tech with under 4 minutes remaining. They seem to be conceding the inevitable.

I'll trade you a Kendall Marshall and a Drew II for a Division 1 point guard.

Grey Devil
01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Make that 16! GTHC!!

Grey Devil

SMO
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I've been holding off posting on this subject to avoid the jinx, but look at how poorly UNC has shot and how many TO's they have!

Ahhh, league play. Let's not fret too much about our guys, eh!

cakerace
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Thank you GT ...and I'm not betting on any conference games this year!

Fuqua's Finest
01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I hate to admit it, but I've been quietly trolling IC (no comments just strictly observing), and I haven't laughed so much in 2 hours in a long time. I know how we get when we lose, but those fans on IC are in total revolt mode. It's only 1 loss, but you would think Roy Williams haden't won 2 NC's the past 5 years. I am still laughing! :D

cakerace
01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
will this be the year Clemson wins in CH?

delfrio
01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Nice to be back in 1st Place in the ACC...

Not to burst the bubble, but we aren't really in first, even with the tie. FSU would be higher than us. For now...

94duke
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, Carolina is no Kennesaw State. ;)

SupaDave
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
How beautiful this is for me. I'm pouring beer on my head. I've been going at it with my UNC friends - who had the audacity to doubt my fandom based on my choice of college. So today I got to tell them to double stick it.

Supa "Damn you Paul Hewitt for your occasional victories" Dave

SupaDave
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

You got that right!!! LOL! I'm just so happy right now.

SMO
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
This was a royal arse-whipping!

UNC's line: 28% FG, 17% from 3, OUTREBOUNDED by 3, 18 TO's, LOSE BY 20!

Who would have guessed that with all UNC's momentum lately?

Saratoga2
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Can you imagine that GT got to pull some of their starters at the end? Complete blowout in the second half. Henson got a nasty stinger on his left elbow with about 2 minutes remaining.

YourLandlord
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
This was a royal arse-whipping!

UNC's line: 28% FG, 17% from 3, OUTREBOUNDED by 3, 18 TO's, LOSE BY 20!

Who would have guessed that with all UNC's momentum lately?

16 FGs, 18 TOs.

ipatent
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
UNC just looked terrible. Total beatdown in the second half.

SMO
At least UNC's All American was 100% from the FT line. 3-13 isn't so hot though.

gotoguy

Shumpert and Rice stepped up and the holes went scoreless for the final 9 min from the field. Almost as many in baby blue at the game as Tech supporters who have apparently expressed their displeasure with Hewitt by not showing up for the game. I felt sorry for teh Tech players. Its Clemson next in CH. Could the streak be broken?

burnspbesq
First time I've seen Carolina this season. Was that an outlier, or do they actually suck that badly?

loran16
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
So I'm waiting for the official box score to put up the efficiency stats (that'll be tomorrow morning), but this game should make them more legitimate:

CLEMSON has been the most efficient team in the ACC thus far. (errr Clemson and VTech actually are basically tied, but VTech is just up there due to slaughtering Wake, so they don't count).

This might seem ridiculous, but it's because Clemson had an effective Field Goal % of 83% against GEORGIA TECH.

Tonight Carolina had an Effective Field Goal% of 29.8%. Yep.

GT is a bad team. They're not historically bad (Wake). But this game just shows, that GT is at this point basically just like a normal 12th place ACC team. Unfortunately for the ACC....there's a team worse than GT.

gofurman
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
what truly is amazing is Carolina had 20 more fts than GT... and still lost.. by 20

that is very rare

BigZ
01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
This team maybe worse than last year's unc squad. Barnes is a bust, the kid goes like 3-13 every game.

-bdbd
01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Can you imagine that GT got to pull some of their starters at the end? Complete blowout in the second half. Henson got a nasty stinger on his left elbow with about 2 minutes remaining.

I only saw the second half, but Kerlina really was sloppy with the ball. TONS of unforced t/o's, and a lack of effort several times late (such as the GT breakaway with about 4.5 minutes to go -- only 2 'heels bothered running back so it became 4 on 2). I don't know what it is, b/c they seem to play great in flashes... but sure got demoralized quick, and not all that cohesive throughout. Terrible guard play, and overall I thought got out-efforted by the Ga Tech frontline. Any ideas what's wrong with Barnes?

I agree, that Clemson sure has a chance to beat that winless-in-CH string this year, Wed. night. Though this loss should light a fire under the boys in faded blue...

And, yes, I was wondering if Henson could have had shoulder damage the way his elbow got jammed underneath him, but they were only looking at the elbow. 'hope it isn't serious.

It sure is going to be a cat-fight this year in the ACC -- at least for 2nd through ninth!!

P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

:cool:

kong123
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
what do you do? no one played well. no one showed poise or toughness. there was no cohesiveness. Roy starts 5 guys that immediately go down 8 in the first half and again go down 8 in the second half. he has got to find a mix of players that can pass and catch the ball and then, if he can find 5 guys that can figure that out, then maybe he could teach them how to dribble. if he can climb those mountains, then try and teach them to shoot the ball. really, one of the most frustrating games i have ever seen. GT played well, but UNC had so many stupid TO's that were not forced. Missed too many wide open lay ups. Made fouls 40 ft away from the basket. Really, really, really stupid basketball. Good news for you guys, most of these guys will be here for 2 to 3 more years.

camion
01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Everyone knows that life on the road can be tough in the ACC, but UNC just looked like they phoned in the second half. Their defense pretty much matched their offense in effectiveness.

arnie
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM
what do you do? no one played well. no one showed poise or toughness. there was no cohesiveness. Roy starts 5 guys that immediately go down 8 in the first half and again go down 8 in the second half. he has got to find a mix of players that can pass and catch the ball and then, if he can find 5 guys that can figure that out, then maybe he could teach them how to dribble. if he can climb those mountains, then try and teach them to shoot the ball. really, one of the most frustrating games i have ever seen. GT played well, but UNC had so many stupid TO's that were not forced. Missed too many wide open lay ups. Made fouls 40 ft away from the basket. Really, really, really stupid basketball. Good news for you guys, most of these guys will be here for 2 to 3 more years.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=7057156&p=33

sagegrouse
01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
When the score was 22-12 Tech, I beleive the Jackets had outscored the UNC first team 20-4 and trailed the UNC second team 2-8. How can those guys start a game playing so bad?

sagegrouse

wsb3
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
what truly is amazing is Carolina had 20 more fts than GT... and still lost.. by 20

that is very rare

We get all the calls right. The game a few years ago that Clemson led in Chapel Hill till the bitter end & with UNC playing catch up they shot like 38 free throws to 9 for Clemson.

loran16
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
We get all the calls right. The game a few years ago that Clemson led in Chapel Hill till the bitter end & with UNC playing catch up they shot like 38 free throws to 9 for Clemson.

For the record, GTech at one point near the end fouled John Henson 3 times. Which struck me as probably deliberate strategy.

duke4ever19
01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I know that we would take him in a minute, but I can't help but think that perhaps Barnes could use the confidence of Nolan and Kyle, and the teaching ability of Coach K, and the security of knowing he isn't supposed to carry the team.

I also think that the family-type atmosphere that is encouraged on the Duke team and the support of the best college fan base in America would've done him a world of good. I've browsed the carolina board, and they are brutal. The players have to feel pretty betrayed by such bipolar support . But let's face it, that team stinks to high heaven!

I know its pretty pointless to speculate... but I find myself feeling a bit sorry for the Barnes. He looks like totally lost out there, and the amount of pressure is crippling.

dalmatians98
01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't know what was more entertaining: watching the game or reading the posts on INC as the game went on. Huck got thrown so far under the bus by the fans he'll be lucky to be out for Clemson on Tuesday.

Bluedog
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
From the AP recap:

North Carolina [had] its fewest points in the Roy Williams era [...] North Carolina’s previous scoring low in Williams’ eight seasons as coach was 60 points in a postseason NIT win over Alabama-Birmingham last season.

Uh, 82-50!!! Come on Associated Press writer.

I didn't see the game, but hearing the result gives me great pleasure. :)

SupaDave
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I know that we would take him in a minute, but I can't help but think that perhaps Barnes could use the confidence of Nolan and Kyle, and the teaching ability of Coach K, and the security of knowing he isn't supposed to carry the team.

I also think that the family-type atmosphere that is encouraged on the Duke team and the support of the best college fan base in America would've done him a world of good. I've browsed the carolina board, and they are brutal. The players have to feel pretty betrayed by such bipolar support . But let's face it, that team stinks to high heaven!

I know its pretty pointless to speculate... but I find myself feeling a bit sorry for the Barnes. He looks like totally lost out there, and the amount of pressure is crippling.

Has it come to this? We're feeling sorry for Barnes now? Classic...

wilson
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
P.S. What happened to the Ga Tech fan base??? The crowd in Atlanta looked about evenly split between Yellow and faded blue? I started to really notice it with the game very much in doubt at about the 10:00 mark and, during a timeout, you could hear the loud crowd cheer over the TV announcers, "Tar - heels, Tar - heels."

:cool:Two thoughts:
1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA :D).
2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.

SupaDave
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Two thoughts:
1. There is quite a strong contingent of heels in Atlanta. As you know, they travel in droves. Moreover, with Tech coming into the game at 7-8, they probably sensed strong chances for a win (BWAHAHAHAHA :D).
2. All of the local GA Tech fans I know have long since caught on to the fact that Paul Hewitt is an awful coach, and have essentially checked out on the program until the athletic department likewise gets smart. Would you go to great expense or effort to watch the product they've put on the court in recent years? Furthermore, Jackets fans generally consider Tech to be a football school anyway.

Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...

delfrio
01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
From the AP recap:

I think even the 1st game against them last year they scored less than 58.

duke4ever19
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Believe me, I'm not emotional about it:)

I guess it's a bit more frustration at seeing all that talent going to waste. I just thank God that we have a coach that is not only willing, but able to change the teams style of play if needs be. Can't say the same for Roy boy.

I firmly believe that if Roy was coaching this Duke team when Irving went down, he would still be trying to play at the same speed using Smith or Thornton.

Bluedog
01-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I think even the 1st game against them last year they scored less than 58.

You are right. They scored 54. Wow, Charles Odum (AP writer) needs a fact-checker in his research department if he didn't even notice the results from last season...

Channing
01-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Wilson!! Glad to see you brother!

And you're right on both accounts. Unless Tech gets another Kenny Anderson things will continue to be mediocre for the foreseeable future. There are some recruits on the way but none of them are game changers. Meanwhile, most of the money still goes to football...

doesn't Gailey come off the books this year? That may free up some money for Hewitt's absurd contract.

AtlDuke72
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
I hate to admit it, but I've been quietly trolling IC (no comments just strictly observing), and I haven't laughed so much in 2 hours in a long time. I know how we get when we lose, but those fans on IC are in total revolt mode. It's only 1 loss, but you would think Roy Williams haden't won 2 NC's the past 5 years. I am still laughing! :D

I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.

wilson
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I went there too. The melt down is reaching epic proportions. It is so bad they have even stopped talking about what a lousy job Coach K does, or how bad the Devils really are this year. Can't find a single new post there about Duke's draw in last year's tournament, how many road games Duke plays or even the ever popular claims that Duke gets all the calls.It's pretty hard to sustain that last claim when your team just attempted twenty more free throws than its opponent and still managed to get stomped.

gofurman
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
This team maybe worse than last year's unc squad. Barnes is a bust, the kid goes like 3-13 every game.

objectively, no. UNC is better this year. This team should make the ncaa.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Always interested in your perspective, Kong, even when we disagree.

I saw Duke lose at the Thiller Dome a few years ago -- it's a tough place to play. I'd put it third behind Cameron (or course) and the newly renovated Littlejohn which is electric.

Carolina really lacks upperclass leadership. And pg play. It's hard to win without one, it's really hard to do so without either.

loran16
01-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Agreed with this, though the latter isn't great evidence (UNC's competition to make the tournament is also weaker).

UNC's a better team this year, having lost...no one of actual importance (Ed Davis wasn't significant due to his injury) and having a healthy Zeller plus a better point guard option for at least 15 minutes a game.

But they're not a great team, probably not even a good team. They can win at home. On the road is going to be a doozy.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2011, 10:53 PM
From the AP recap:

well, to be fair to the AP, that wasn't really much of a contested game.

And, oh yeah -- GO CLEMSON!!!!!

devildeac
01-16-2011, 10:54 PM
will this be the year Clemson wins in CH?

After 52 or 53 tries? Why start now?

RockyMtDevil
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Here's a quote from IC:

Does it ever feel like Roy thinks he's playing Pokemon?

wilson
After 52 or 53 tries? Why start now?Climpsun is markedly worse this year than they were last. I do not expect them to win in the Nose Dome this Wednesday.

devildeac

that is very rare

That can't possibly be correct. WE get all the calls.:rolleyes:

wsb3
After 52 or 53 tries? Why start now?

I have not seen Clemson play at all. What are the thoughts for them matching up and maybe breaking this 5 decade plus streak?

OldPhiKap
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Here's another quote from IC:

Someone please tell me what Roy has done in the past season and a half that gives any evidence he can coach better than Paul Hewitt.

Hard to think of a bigger insult without citing Bob Staak.

dairedevil
01-16-2011, 11:06 PM
1. The crowd at Alexander Memorial Coliseum (referred to at least once during the broadcast as " the Memorial Coliseum" - I guess the same as the Indoor Stadium?)
GA Tech is notorious for fair-weathered fans, for both basketball and football. Not at all surprised that there were lots of seats to be picked up by unc fans.

2. Like several others, I took a peek at the ic boards - wow, that's brutal. really makes me appreciate DBR. Yeah, we have high expectations, and get frustrated when things are going rough, and express it. I know I did during the first half yesterday. But, we don't start 567 threads on how bad we are..

3. And, on that note, we need to keep our expectations in check for how fantastic Austin Rivers is going to be next year...remember how high everyone was on Barnes? Now they are calling him a monumental failure because he's having trouble as a freshman. I'd hate to see that happen here.

4. I'm really, really glad that we don't go to Atlanta this year. Hewitt's game plan for Duke seems to be to play physical and see how much the refs will allow them to get by with. Extremely ugly games here the last few years. I've spent most of the time worrying that someone will get hurt-not whether or not we would win. I only saw the first half of tonight's game, but can only assume that with the number of free throws that unc took, that might have been a strategy for tonight, too. Intimidate them into submission?

OldPhiKap
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Another IC gem:

"I wonder if Roy's Momma told him life was like a box of chocolates?"

And, for those who keep posting about how Coach K needs to play more players more often, etc., go look at IC and see what the fan base says about their coach who does exactly that. It'll cure you quick.

devildeac
01-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Climpsun is markedly worse this year than they were last. I do not expect them to win in the Nose Dome this Wednesday.

My point exactly. I agree with a prior poster who pointed out the fact that several years ago, despite trailing the whole game (was it the 8-20 year?), that they still shot almost 30 FT more than clumpson.

jipops
01-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Two things hit me looking at the box score.

1. Roy put about 58 players out on the floor in this game.
2. No player made more than 3 field goals.

And another thing, 2-12 from 3 pt range - heck we accomplish that in one half.

loran16
01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
I would advise yall not to sleep on Clemson @ UNC. Were the game at Clemson, I'd comfortably predict a Clemson win, but at the Dean Dome, Carolina is rightfully favored.

That said, Clemson is not a bad team. Their insane shooting against GT inflates things a bit in the efficiency rankings, but well they've won all of their last 7 games by at least 6 (including a game vs Miami, who Duke only beat by what, a dozen?), with their conference loss coming to FSU (not a terrible loss).

If Carolina doesn't play like it has at home at times this year, this is a potential upset waiting to happen.

WiJoe
01-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Who is this barnes fellow people keep referring to?

:cool:

Bluedog
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I saw Duke lose at the Thiller Dome a few years ago -- it's a tough place to play. I'd put it third behind Cameron (or course) and the newly renovated Littlejohn which is electric.

Normally, yes. Tonight, no. It was half empty. The students and public seem to have given up on Ga Tech this season...

CameronBlue
01-16-2011, 11:32 PM

that is very rare

That may not be just rare. Don't know how you'd check that kind of stat but I would take the bet that it's never happened before in Division I college basketball.

sagegrouse
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Normally, yes. Tonight, no. It was half empty. The students and public seem to have given up on Ga Tech this season...

Worse than half empty -- it was two-thirds Carolina blue, and the announcers made much of it, saying it looked like the stands in a football bowl game -- maybe the Charlotte one (Meineke bowl). Much more blue than GT yellow. I'm sorry the little darlings got all dressed up for such a disappointment. :rolleyes:

sagegrouse

jipops
01-16-2011, 11:48 PM
From the AP recap:

This is some pretty horrible research on the AP's part. They were also held to 51pts at GTech last season. Was Roy not coaching that game? I think he was.

They were also held to 54pts in the Duke matchup at the Dean Dome.

SharkD
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Does being one of the +4 teams really count as making the tournament, though?

dpslaw
01-17-2011, 12:04 AM
The AP story has been revised and corrected. The lede now reads:

ATLANTA — Iman Shumpert, Glen Rice and Georgia Tech finally played a complete game — just in time for North Carolina's worst shooting performance in 56 years.

Bluedog
01-17-2011, 12:11 AM
The AP story has been revised and corrected. The lede now reads:

ATLANTA — Iman Shumpert, Glen Rice and Georgia Tech finally played a complete game — just in time for North Carolina's worst shooting performance in 56 years.

Maybe AP has updated it, but the AP article on ESPN and Yahoo! Sports both still have the incorrect facts. In fact, on ESPN's college basketball front page, the article title is "Ga. Tech holds UNC to low score under Williams"... And I stand corrected about the half empty stadium comment...definitely more embarrassing that more UNC fans than Ga Tech ones. But not quite as embarrassing as losing by 20 to a team of Ga Tech's caliber. :)

-bdbd
01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
The TV announcers - I really like G-man as a color guy - were saying that Carolina only made 1 (one!!) bucket from the field in the last NINE minutes. OMG! They started to get down at about the 10-12 minute mark and just threw in the towel.

Sir Stealth
01-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Roy is now somehow 0 for his last 4 against Hewitt and came through with this bit of hilarity after the game:

“We didn’t come frickin’ ready to play. I’m mad at the world. We stunk. I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”

Handling adversity with steadfastness and grace is not Roy's thing.

JStuart
01-17-2011, 07:14 AM
The TV announcers - I really like G-man as a color guy - were saying that Carolina only made 1 (one!!) bucket from the field in the last NINE minutes. OMG! They started to get down at about the 10-12 minute mark and just threw in the towel.

Yeah, but did Gminski try to figure that if Barnes had hit 'one more' shot, his average would be better?

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2011, 08:06 AM
I think you can count UNC out for 2nd or even 3rd place in the league. I'm not sure that they're gonna be able to get it together for a spot in the Dance. Losing by 20 to arguably the worst team in the league doesn't help on any count. I'm really hoping they lose to Clemson next!!!
Once again, Marshall outplayed Drew II. When, oh when, will Ol' Roy learn to use the better players correctly. Again, KM should never ever be substituted with LD II, perhaps LDII can play alongside KM, but should never be used to replace him: KM after 40minutes is better than a fresh LDII.
UNC SUXX!!! Go DUke!!!

MChambers
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I think you can count UNC out for 2nd or even 3rd place in the league. I'm not sure that they're gonna be able to get it together for a spot in the Dance. Losing by 20 to arguably the worst team in the league doesn't help on any count. I'm really hoping they lose to Clemson next!!!
Once again, Marshall outplayed Drew II. When, oh when, will Ol' Roy learn to use the better players correctly. Again, KM should never ever be substituted with LD II, perhaps LDII can play alongside KM, but should never be used to replace him: KM after 40minutes is better than a fresh LDII.
UNC SUXX!!! Go DUke!!!
It's a bad loss for Kerlina, but I'm not ready to count them out. GT isn't arguably the worst team in the league, unless Wake has been expelled.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love for UNC to have another rough ACC season and I have hopes, but UNC was playing better before last night. Obviously, the point guard troubles continue and that will hurt them badly against teams that can pressure the ball.

77devil
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
well, to be fair to the AP, that wasn't really much of a contested game.

And, oh yeah -- GO CLEMSON!!!!!

Calling Klemnop. Don't forget your promise.

devildeac
01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Calling Klemnop. Don't forget your promise.

IIRC, last time Klemnop addressed the issue, he appeared to be resigned to the fact that a Clemson MBB victory in chappaheeya was not going to happen. Ever.

billyj
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Only if UNC had quality guards, like Irving or Smith, they would be a much better team. :cool:

And if Harrison Barnes played at Duke, he would probably had much better stats playing with guards who can actually dish him the ball.

moonpie23
01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
“We didn’t come frickin’ ready to play. I’m mad at the world. We stunk. I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”

i really think that's kind of funny... ;)

there's a thread (or some posts) that suggest roy played drew more than he should have because drew's dad bought 30 tix for family and friends.....man......that's just crazy talk...

RoyalBlue08
01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Just looking at the box score for the game and I noticed that 10 players for UNC got at least 15 minutes of action in that game. I'm certainly no coach, but I don't know that I see 10 players on that team that deserve that sort of playing time.

jipops
01-17-2011, 09:28 AM
It's a bad loss for Kerlina, but I'm not ready to count them out. GT isn't arguably the worst team in the league, unless Wake has been expelled.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love for UNC to have another rough ACC season and I have hopes, but UNC was playing better before last night. Obviously, the point guard troubles continue and that will hurt them badly against teams that can pressure the ball.

I agree. If anything, this shows them to be wildly inconsistent. The UK win has been looking like more and more of a high quality win. Plus, before yesterday, UNC was playing very efficient defense - something we had not seen last season. It isn't completely out of the realm of possibility that they beat us and then lose to someone like Wake.

sagegrouse
01-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, but did Gminski try to figure that if Barnes had hit 'one more' shot, his average would be better?

I'm glad you picked up on that Bilas blooper in the VT game. "Just one more made shot by Barnes per game would make his year look much better," said our man. Hey, Jay, over 16 (now 17) games one more made shot per game is no trifling matter and has only a very, very small chance (~1%) of occurring randomly.

I think Jay, one of the best basketball analysts, needs to stick to law and policy and avoid statistics.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm glad you picked up on that Bilas blooper in the VT game. "Just one more made shot by Barnes per game would make his year look much better," said our man. Hey, Jay, over 16 (now 17) games one more made shot per game is no trifling matter and has only a very, very small chance (~1%) of occurring randomly.

I think Jay, one of the best basketball analysts, needs to stick to law and policy and avoid statistics.

sagegrouse

"Know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at bats is 50 points, okay? There's 6 months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week - just one - a gorp... you get a groundball, you get a groundball with eyes... you get a dying quail, just one more dying quail a week... and you're in Yankee Stadium."

-- Crash Davis

slower
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I think you can count UNC out for 2nd or even 3rd place in the league. I'm not sure that they're gonna be able to get it together for a spot in the Dance.

It's a little early to be making these assumptions. Anything could happen.

DukeGirl4ever
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I find it amusing that when I go to ESPN.com and click on SCORES to read about the game (and possibly see highlights), the UNC score doesn't show up.

This puzzles me...until I realize that my default set-up shows only the Top 25 scores! :p

Might as well have fun with this as long as I can!

Anyone have a link to video highlights? I couldn't get the game last night.

Reddevil
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Sorry Roy, you don't play in the Thunderdome this year.

sagegrouse
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
UNC SUXX!!! Go DUke!!!

This is the biggest game of the year for the Heels. Sunday night was their College-of-Charleston moment. Now we get to see what they can bring against Clemson. And the "Baby Blues" only get one day to practice, 'cause it's tomorrow night.

For K this would be like the aftermath of the Virginia Tech loss five years ago in Blacksburg. Duke lost, and K said he felt nothing inside on the ride home. At JD's suggestion, Duke started the guys who were hustling most in practice. This was the Patrick Davidson game, and the starting lineup was Davidson, Patrick Johnson, and Reggie Love, plus JJ and Shelden. Duke beat the highly ranked Deacons by ten, and Chris Paul and Skip Prosser were convinced that K was trying to get Patrick to pick a fight with the hot-tempered Deacon.

sagegrouse

Kdogg
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Almost as many in baby blue at the game as Tech supporters who have apparently expressed their displeasure with Hewitt by not showing up for the game. I felt sorry for teh Tech players.

This is telling for both programs. In the past, even when Tech was down, a good UNC team would bring out the faithful to the Thriller Dome.

SMO
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Love it. When Roy gives us all fodder with quotes like "chainsaw", it actually kind of makes me happy we have him in the ACC. He is non-stop entertainment when the heels are stinking it up.

78Devil
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I have been at InsideCarolina watching the meltdown.

At first it was fun, but after awhile it made my skin crawl.

I think our team will have some real ups and downs this year. Let's remind ourselves that, when we have the downs, we should NOT make posts like some of those Carolina fans. These are young student athletes after all. I may have wanted to throw things at the TV during the FSU game like alot of us, but having read the vitriol at InsideCarolina, I don't ever, ever want us to be like that no matter how badly things are going on the court!

Go Duke!

UrinalCake
01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
On the radio yesterday they were discussing the whole "What if Harrison Hit One More Shot?" segment from the TV broadcast. The producers are the ones that come up with these things. As a commentator, Bilas is forced to talk about whatever junk they put in front of him. So it wasn't his fault. The radio guys actually said they felt sorry for Bilas for being forced to make it sound like a viable point of discussion.

Here's a screen capture, for those who wish to wallow some more in the ridiculousness of it all

http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla_site/articles/this-just-in-courtesy-of-espn-if-harrison-barnes-were-better-hed-be-better/

richardjackson199
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Roy...came through with this bit of hilarity after the game:

"I’m so mad I’d fight somebody with a chainsaw right now.”

Look out Leatherface! Maybe the Carolina kids can dress up as scary Roy for Halloween on Franklin St.

oldnavy
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Ok, How can you possibly get mad enough to fight a man with a chainsaw?? I mean, that crosses the line from being angry to being down right insane. Maybe Roy should have said that I am crazy enough to fight a man with a chainsaw right now. But what do I know, maybe up in the mountains they get mad and go out and find guys with chainsaws to pick fights with???

gumbomoop
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok, How can you possibly get mad enough to fight a man with a chainsaw?? I mean, that crosses the line from being angry to being down right insane. Maybe Roy should have said that I am crazy enough to fight a man with a chainsaw right now. But what do I know, maybe up in the mountains they get mad and go out and find guys with chainsaws to pick fights with???

Roy did say he was crazy. To quote Roy: "I'm so mad I'd fight somebody with a chainsaw right now."

I agree with Roy.

JimBD
01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I have watched GA Tech play several times this year, and this is the worst GA Tech team I can remember.

4decadedukie
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Identifying and recruiting talent is not synonymous with coaching. Coaching obviously also requires the development of a cohesive, integrated, and tenacious TEAM from talented individuals. I have been truly astonished at Coach Williams' inability to perform this crucial function last year and (so far) this season. I am not willing to suggest yet that this is a fatal pattern, but it increasing appears to be more than a single year aberration. Perhaps this is the "new" Carolina Way to complement Davis'/football's academic dishonesty and illicit financial dealings/recruiting.

Devilsfan
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I can't wait until roy starts blaming the Duke staff for his woes. His logic will be IMO probably something like, "you know it's Duke's fault for first identifying the recruits we 'stole' from them. If Duke had initially identified better targets to go after then my life would not be such a disaster".

devildeac
01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I can't wait until roy starts blaming the Duke staff for his woes. His logic will be IMO probably something like, "you know it's Duke's fault for first identifying the recruits we 'stole' from them. If Duke had initially identified better targets to go after then my life would not be such a disaster".

Kin-tucky fans blame Duke for many of their shortcomings/losses/misadventures, why can't ol' roy start.:rolleyes:

devildeac
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Look out Leatherface! Maybe the Carolina kids can dress up as scary Roy for Halloween on Franklin St.

You don't think bananas and pumpkins were enough?;)

BD80
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
... Like several others, I took a peek at the ic boards - wow, that's brutal. really makes me appreciate DBR. ... But, we don't start 567 threads on how bad we are. ...

Actually, we do. But 350 of the threads are deleted by mods and the rest are merged into a single thread.

Is there a smilie for being MOSTLY sarcastic?

Here's another quote from IC:

Someone please tell me what Roy has done in the past season and a half that gives any evidence he can coach better than Paul Hewitt.

Hard to think of a bigger insult without citing Bob Staak.

That is so mean he could get an infraction on THIS board.

oldnavy
01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I have been saying for a long time that Roy could not lead a duck to water. And since leadership is an intergral part of successful coaching, I find Roy very lacking as a coach. He seems to have the inability to get teams to do what he wants them to do. To me that is poor leadership. I am sure he knows a lot about basketball, but how seriously can you take a "coach" that tells a recruit that the last thing he wants to do is call a play? There may be a good reason he doesn't want to call a play!! When you watch UNC play notice how the team is totally unaware of score and clock. I cannot count the number of times UNC has come down the floor and taken a bad shot within ten seconds when they should have pulled the ball out and set something up to burn some clock and limit the other teams possession. They do it all the time. So either that is how they are coached, or they are coached not to do that and totally ignore the coaching, either way it is a poor reflection on Roy. He can get mad and pick fights with chainsaws if he wants to, but it is HIS fault. I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's and Roy would probably have even a worse record than he does now.... so go ahead and blast away at me, but that is my opinion and I am sticking with it!

DukieinSoCal
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I have been saying for a long time that Roy could not lead a duck to water. And since leadership is an intergral part of successful coaching, I find Roy very lacking as a coach. He seems to have the inability to get teams to do what he wants them to do. To me that is poor leadership. I am sure he knows a lot about basketball, but how seriously can you take a "coach" that tells a recruit that the last thing he wants to do is call a play? There may be a good reason he doesn't want to call a play!! When you watch UNC play notice how the team is totally unaware of score and clock. I cannot count the number of times UNC has come down the floor and taken a bad shot within ten seconds when they should have pulled the ball out and set something up to burn some clock and limit the other teams possession. They do it all the time. So either that is how they are coached, or they are coached not to do that and totally ignore the coaching, either way it is a poor reflection on Roy. He can get mad and pick fights with chainsaws if he wants to, but it is HIS fault. I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's and Roy would probably have even a worse record than he does now.... so go ahead and blast away at me, but that is my opinion and I am sticking with it!

I don't know if the remark about reversing the records would hold true, but I do agree with the sentiment about Roy. He doesn't seem to able to adjust his style of play if he doesn't have the right mix of players on his team, expecially a PG that can push the pace of play. Judging from his remarks and frustration level, I don't think he has any answers right now, either.

The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?

Indoor66
01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know if the remark about reversing the records would hold true, but I do agree with the sentiment about Roy. He doesn't seem to able to adjust his style of play if he doesn't have the right mix of players on his team, expecially a PG that can push the pace of play. Judging from his remarks and frustration level, I don't think he has any answers right now, either.

The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?

Let 'em flounder/ ;):D

wilson
01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
The question I want to throw out there is whether or not we want Roy to stick at UNC for a long time and hopefully watch them flounder some more or would their program suffer even more if they had to endure a coaching change. Who would even be the top candidates for the job?The top candidates for the job, theoretically, would be pretty much anybody they want. The real question would be whether the folks in the Dump on the Hump would be willing to go outside "the family" for their next hire. In light of the current dearth of tar heel-born and tar heel-bred coaches in D-1, I think they'd about have to.
Of course, to be very honest about the situation, there is no question. Roy would pridefully retire before getting fired, and that would take, I think, several more seasons. No way they cut him loose anytime soon.

moonpie23
01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I I promise you that if you were to switch Duke and UNC players, K would have the same record with UNC's team that he has now with Duke's

ix-nay.....there are no kyle singlers or nolan smiths on that team....

diveonthefloor
01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Lots of folks saying Roy's a mediocre coach and can't lead his team....

While there may be some truth to it, how in the heck did he do so well at Kansas and at UNC for the first several years? He had sustained success at both Kansas and (until very recently) UNC....he didn't just inherit some great talent and "luck out."

Is this just a little lull for Ole Roy? Or is something happening which is more profound?

oldnavy
01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
ix-nay.....there are no kyle singlers or nolan smiths on that team....

True, But he would get a ton more production out of Bullock, Marshall, Zeller, Henson, McDonald and even DrewII.... Barnes would be playing within himself with plays set to run through him (maybe something like a curl play or a back screen lob) rather than toss him the ball 24 feet from the basket and hope he can figure something out....

Plus Roy would negate the basketball IQ or Nolan, and Kyle by insisting that they heave up a shot, any shot within 10 seconds of crossing mid court so he would not have to set up a daggum play!! Our guys would not play the defense they do now, because that is not a requirement on the hill. Now if he had Kyrie, he would do fine with our group of kids.

There is no way to settle this, but I truly believe that if K had UNC's team we would be ranked in the top 5 and a potential FF team.... Those kids would play pressure D, run a motion style offense, and would work the freakin ball into Zeller so he gets more than 6 shots against GT. Henson would rebound and kick out to Bullock or McDonald who could hit an open jumper. Barnes would have a clue on where to be and what to do. That and the fact he wouldn't be playing 10 guys 15 minutes every game for no apparent reason so they could develop some type of cohesion.

wilko
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Is this just a little lull for Ole Roy? Or is something happening which is more profound?

Not unlike in games played in years past, Sean Smith had a penchant for escaping defeats like Houdini. That was his gift and why I hated UNC with such zeal..

I can only hope its something much more profound, and a complete collapse is imminent, but I fear this is yet one more Houdini-esque performance. Like cockroaches that you can stomp and stomp, but live and flee when you raise your foot... These Heels are like those...

I can hope upon hope that the "Master" (Roy) has learned and is sowing more Program Destroying seeds @ UNC than seems then he ever bestowed upon the "Student" (Matt D.) I hope they implode, but I dont think Roy is putting a steak thru the heart.

However, Perhaps it would be a good time to welcome in new members to the Blue Devils, shoudl UNC fans be ready to jump ship.

ncexnyc
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Not unlike in games played in years past, Sean Smith had a penchant for escaping defeats like Houdini. That was his gift and why I hated UNC with such zeal..

I can only hope its something much more profound, and a complete collapse is imminent, but I fear this is yet one more Houdini-esque performance. Like cockroaches that you can stomp and stomp, but live and flee when you raise your foot... These Heels are like those...

I can hope upon hope that the "Master" (Roy) has learned and is sowing more Program Destroying seeds @ UNC than seems then he ever bestowed upon the "Student" (Matt D.) I hope they implode, but I dont think Roy is putting a steak thru the heart.

However, Perhaps it would be a good time to welcome in new members to the Blue Devils, shoudl UNC fans be ready to jump ship.

Would that "steak" be well done or medium rare?

OldPhiKap
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM

oldnavy, I can't tell you how funny your post is with that picture of Roy as your avitar. LMAO.

miramar
01-17-2011, 06:12 PM
On the radio yesterday they were discussing the whole "What if Harrison Hit One More Shot?" segment from the TV broadcast. The producers are the ones that come up with these things. As a commentator, Bilas is forced to talk about whatever junk they put in front of him. So it wasn't his fault. The radio guys actually said they felt sorry for Bilas for being forced to make it sound like a viable point of discussion.

Here's a screen capture, for those who wish to wallow some more in the ridiculousness of it all

http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla_site/articles/this-just-in-courtesy-of-espn-if-harrison-barnes-were-better-hed-be-better/

This is pretty sad, but if the one of the best five players in the country (ha ha) only hits 37% of his shots, as he is right now, I guess somebody is going to notice...

Faison1
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM

As much as I enjoy watching the train wreck, I don't think it's any more profound than K having to deal with Paulus running the point at Duke.

Turnover Jesus, aka Larry Drew, is pretty bad. On top of his bad passing and poor ball handling, he can't shoot. So, even though Paulus didn't turn out to be as good as his high school ranking, he could still shoot, and won a few games in the clutch for Duke. I don't think Drew is capable of that.

Until Kendall Marshall matures, it will be more of the same for UNC. Profound and long lasting? Probably not. But fun as heck to watch.

acciconoclast
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
This game unfortunately for non-UNC fans turned the worm. Changes in Chapel Hill are coming en masse and then some. UNC plays lights out from her on IMO

Duvall
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
This game unfortunately for non-UNC fans turned the worm. Changes in Chapel Hill are coming en masse and then some. UNC plays lights out from her on IMO

Have they chosen to start making shots? Because that's what they need right now. Shuffling the lineup won't do much good when everyone already plays 20 minutes.

HateCarolina
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I mentioned this idea previously and thought I would make a recommendation for all again. You should record every Carolina game and then when you know it's a loss for them go back and enjoy every beatiful second of the game.

It is especially gratifying to watch when you know they were either up for most of the game and the opposing team comes back to beat them or when its a last second buzzer beater or just any close game. I mean honestly it's close (notice I am not saying that it is) to being more fun to watch these games than watching us blow out some of the cupcakes in our early season.

Of course the penultimate is re-watching Duke beat the living crap out of them!! If my wife would let me I would have one DVR solely dedicated to holding these games for my viewing pleasure especially in the middle of the summer when I really, really miss Duke basketball.

HateCarolina
01-17-2011, 07:57 PM

Uhhhhhh....nope. Not going to happen. Ol' Roy continues to blame his players without taking much responsibility for his own coaching shortcomings, so unless the en masse change is that he takes some responsibility then I do not think (and really, really hope) that things will improve drastically for them.

billyj
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
As much as I enjoy watching the train wreck, I don't think it's any more profound than K having to deal with Paulus running the point at Duke.

Turnover Jesus, aka Larry Drew, is pretty bad. On top of his bad passing and poor ball handling, he can't shoot. So, even though Paulus didn't turn out to be as good as his high school ranking, he could still shoot, and won a few games in the clutch for Duke. I don't think Drew is capable of that.

Until Kendall Marshall matures, it will be more of the same for UNC. Profound and long lasting? Probably not. But fun as heck to watch.

hehe yep! :cool:
But seems like UNC has recruited only wing players, what's the next top PG coming in?
Maybe Kendall Marshall can become a capable starting guard soon.

(A little research led me to the name of Marcus Paige. Don't know who else they are still targeting.)

jipops
01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Shuffling the lineup won't do much good when everyone already plays 20 minutes.

This is a good point. What different look can he possibly give other than deciding on a shortened rotation and sticking with it? In looking at the box scores the UNC games are a series of cameos.

SupaDave
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Turnover Jesus!!! Oh I'm stealing that. Hilarious...

Faison1
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Can't take credit.....I got that off of one of the other 2 boards....TDD or Scout.

Makes me laugh everytime I hear or say it.

Especially when I'm watching with a UNC fan, like the time he launched a pass off his teammate's face on a fast break during the last few minutes of the Texas/UNC matchup. Turnover Jesus, Baby!!!!

Newton_14
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I am amazed that people continue to put all of this on Drew. There is a heck of a lot more going on that is causing this 2 year train wreck, than just bad play from Larry Drew.

It starts with coaching. Ga Tech started 4 guards last night. They have zero inside play. For large stretches of the game, Henson was being defended by 6'6 Brian Oliver yet UNC rarely attempted to get the ball in the post. They should have abused the Oliver/Henson match up all night long, as well as getting the ball to Zeller. Instead, Henson played 25 minutes and took 9 shots. Zeller played 20 minutes and took 6 shots.

You are playing the smallest team in the league and you play right into their hands. Meanwhile, Justin Watts gets 15 minutes at the PF spot, and Roy decides that subbing in and out 5 man rotations is somehow helpful. Even there though, he out smarts himself. 3 different times the starting 5 fall behind by 10 and the 2nd team comes in and either ties it back up or cuts it to 1. Roy then goes right back to the 5 starters who once again gets down 10 or more.

Just bizarre. They did not play with passion and they did not match Tech's intensity, and having no leader on the floor definitely hurts, but Roy did them no favors with his coaching either.

Drew is not a great player but he alone is not the issue. Barnes is an issue, the wings are an issue, and coaching is a huge issue. Marshall has played well on the offensive side of the ball, but he is a huge liability on the defensive end, so while he makes the offense better, he makes a bad defense even worse.

They need to shorten the rotation, slow the game down, and pound it into the paint. On the defensive side, with their quickness and length, there is no reason why they are not one of the top defensives in the league beyond Roy not giving a crap about playing defense.

It will be interesting to see if they bounce back from this and get it together or if they repeat last year and fall apart.

Faison1
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I am amazed that people continue to put all of this on Drew. There is a heck of a lot more going on that is causing this 2 year train wreck, than just bad play from Larry Drew.

I completely agree that it is not entirely Drew's fault. There's lots of blame to go around.

It just doesn't help morale when things are going badly, and your starting point guard is hitting you in the face with the basketball while you're not looking.

Faison1
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
BTW, if you can log on to Scout, this picture referencing Roy's quote about chainsaws had me absolutely rolling on the floor. I hope this works right:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=7061016&p=2

SupaDave
01-17-2011, 08:49 PM

It starts with coaching. Ga Tech started 4 guards last night. They have zero inside play. For large stretches of the game, Henson was being defended by 6'6 Brian Oliver yet UNC rarely attempted to get the ball in the post. They should have abused the Oliver/Henson match up all night long, as well as getting the ball to Zeller. Instead, Henson played 25 minutes and took 9 shots. Zeller played 20 minutes and took 6 shots.

You are playing the smallest team in the league and you play right into their hands. Meanwhile, Justin Watts gets 15 minutes at the PF spot, and Roy decides that subbing in and out 5 man rotations is somehow helpful. Even there though, he out smarts himself. 3 different times the starting 5 fall behind by 10 and the 2nd team comes in and either ties it back up or cuts it to 1. Roy then goes right back to the 5 starters who once again gets down 10 or more.

Just bizarre. They did not play with passion and they did not match Tech's intensity, and having no leader on the floor definitely hurts, but Roy did them no favors with his coaching either.

Drew is not a great player but he alone is not the issue. Barnes is an issue, the wings are an issue, and coaching is a huge issue. Marshall has played well on the offensive side of the ball, but he is a huge liability on the defensive end, so while he makes the offense better, he makes a bad defense even worse.

They need to shorten the rotation, slow the game down, and pound it into the paint. On the defensive side, with their quickness and length, there is no reason why they are not one of the top defensives in the league beyond Roy not giving a crap about playing defense.

It will be interesting to see if they bounce back from this and get it together or if they repeat last year and fall apart.

I would agree with the assesment but Henson/Zeller just don't have the game styles for "pounding it in the paint" kinda ball. Henson shoots jump hooks and Zeller shoots jump shots.

jipops
01-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Marshall has played well on the offensive side of the ball, but he is a huge liability on the defensive end, so while he makes the offense better, he makes a bad defense even worse.

Before last night, UNC was one of the top defenses in the league actually. I think kenpom had them around 10th nationally. This was actually one of the reasons I thought they had turned the corner. Their defense was actually very effective and looked sound. But then the GTech game happened and apparently their guards had their way with the UNC guards.

I think the heels have loads of issues with communication. This is evident on the offensive end and it must have had something to do with their defensive breakdown last night. But then again, how good can the communication be when there is a constant flux of personnel on the floor?

OldPhiKap
01-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Excellent as always, Booz.

Clemson tomorrow is huge. A game they should win, but with A LOT of pressure because of "the streak." For some IC posters, it appears that it is all they have to hold on to. If Clemson wins that game (again, not particularly likely), the wheels may really come off the bus.

You know, no longer going round and round, round and round, round and round. More like BANG! SPLAT! CRASH!

Newton_14
01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I would agree with the assesment but Henson/Zeller just don't have the game styles for "pounding it in the paint" kinda ball. Henson shoots jump hooks and Zeller shoots jump shots.

I hear you Supa and understand what you are saying, but I do feel that they could have had their way inside against Tech. Henson and Zeller are in no sense of the word "bruisers", but still, against last night's competition, they should have been able to have success in there. Zeller can score down there and has shown it. If Henson cannot score against Oliver, he does not have much of a future.

By the way, thought any more about the Barnes/Curtis Hunter comparison?:)

Delmer
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM

All he needs is the cowboy hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDkSh2_PRdI

SupaDave
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I hear you Supa and understand what you are saying, but I do feel that they could have had their way inside against Tech. Henson and Zeller are in no sense of the word "bruisers", but still, against last night's competition, they should have been able to have success in there. Zeller can score down there and has shown it. If Henson cannot score against Oliver, he does not have much of a future.

By the way, thought any more about the Barnes/Curtis Hunter comparison?:)

The funny thing is that the Henson shot that I did see go in was a freaking jump hook. I think he could be a terror if used correctly - his length reminds me so much of Luol. But take him out, get him cold, and give the ball to Turnover Jesus or Slow Marshall and he's rendered ineffective.

AND WOW - he's looking more like Hunter by the day. Hunter avgd. 10.6 pts as a freshmen but I think Barnes may have already exceeded the 76 attempts Hunter needed to do that (but he also played with Jordan, Perkins, and Daugherty). Let's just hope Barnes never wants to coach N.C. A&T for my own mental health.

(WHOOOOAA - I just checked and Barnes has already shot the ball an amazing 189 times putting him on pace to break 300 shots easy. In fact - Barnes has shot more than any other Heel.)

Devilsfan
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
If Harrison shot that much for our coach he'd be at Duke Med soon for splinter removal surgery.

OldPhiKap
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
If Harrison shot that much for our coach he'd be at Duke Med soon for splinter removal surgery.

Yeah, but if he averaged two more made shots a game those would be high-grade splinters.

In retrospect, the banana suit may have been the most appealing part of his season.

Kfanarmy
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Roy did say he was crazy. To quote Roy: "I'm so mad I'd fight somebody with a chainsaw right now."

I agree with Roy.

Couldn't we get a fund together and hire a guy? I mean, wouldn't it be kinda charitable to hire a guy with a chain saw and set this fight up, so that Roy and the Carolina fanbase can work out their frustration once and for all.

gumbomoop
01-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Couldn't we get a fund together and hire a guy? I mean, wouldn't it be kinda charitable to hire a guy with a chain saw and set this fight up, so that Roy and the Carolina fanbase can work out their frustration once and for all.

Roy has an increasingly strange way with words. References to chain saw fights are probably never a good idea. Not good to portray, much less betray, oneself as a clown. I'm beginning to think of him as the Michael Scott of the coaching world.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether UNC beat writers look forward - fascinated in spite of themselves - to seeing how unhinged Roy will be with each loss.

striker219
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
In retrospect, the banana suit may have been the most a-peeling part of his season.

Fixed that for ya. With my apologies.

Greg_Newton
01-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Roy has an increasingly strange way with words. References to chain saw fights are probably never a good idea. Not good to portray, much less betray, oneself as a clown. I'm beginning to think of him as the Michael Scott of the coaching world.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether UNC beat writers look forward - fascinated in spite of themselves - to seeing how unhinged Roy will be with each loss.

This is a perfect comparison.

Hey, come to think of it... "The Office" is going to need a new boss after this season, and ol' Roy might be looking for a new job.... hmmmmmmmm....

SharkD
01-18-2011, 02:48 AM

Who run Self-Pity Town?

Roy run Self-Pity Town!

SharkD
01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
This is a perfect comparison.

Hey, come to think of it... "The Office" is going to need a new boss after this season, and ol' Roy might be looking for a new job.... hmmmmmmmm....

We should be thoughtful and pitch-in to get him one of these:

After all, if it says it on a mug, it must be true, right?

Acymetric
01-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I go into every unc game believing they will lose until proven otherwise...this game is no different. GO TIGERS!

sleepybear
01-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Roy quotes
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1040413.html

"And in today’s culture, it’s hard. I’ve got half of the guys on my team that their mom and dad and their friends and everything think that they’re going to make $88 million. They could give a flip whether we win a game or not. They want their guy to get 37 shots and play 50 minutes in a 40-minute game.

oldnavy
01-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Roy quotes
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1040413.html

"And in today’s culture, it’s hard. I’ve got half of the guys on my team that their mom and dad and their friends and everything think that they’re going to make $88 million. They could give a flip whether we win a game or not. They want their guy to get 37 shots and play 50 minutes in a 40-minute game.

Here we go again, Roy making a point of how much more he cares than anyone else does, "It’s something that I’ve told many teams – if you cared one-tenth about it as much as I do gosh it would be a lot of fun"
Why does he continue to recruit these type of uncaring selfish players???

Barnes leads the team in shots taken, and if one of those shots has been taken out of a set play for him, I haven't seen it. Why not take a little time and coach up the guys to recognize defenses and set some plays up for your players that will put them in better positions to score.... oh wait, I forgot, he would rather do anything than to have to set up a play.... must take too much effort on his part to have to come up with those daggum basketball plays. Probably would cut into his massage therapy time....

Roy is quickly turning into a joke. I have to wonder how well his, recruiting pitch goes over when he tells prospects that they will have freedom in his system to score in the 70's each night!! Wow, not too many places where you can go and do that, plus be a bubble team with the added excitement of wondering if you will make the NCAAT....

CharlestonDevil
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Turnover Jesus is a great one-two punch with Spider Monkey, aka Signs, aka Coke Zero, aka John Henson.

BD80
01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
The top candidates for the job, theoretically, would be pretty much anybody they want. The real question would be whether the folks in the Dump on the Hump would be willing to go outside "the family" for their next hire. In light of the current dearth of tar heel-born and tar heel-bred coaches in D-1, I think they'd about have to.
Of course, to be very honest about the situation, there is no question. Roy would pridefully retire before getting fired, and that would take, I think, several more seasons. No way they cut him loose anytime soon.

It might be tricky contacting ol' roy in the off season, as he will likely be golfing. Or worse. there is the slim chance he'll be out watching a recruit play, but his cellphone ringtone rarely wakes him up.

CDu
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM

I agree with most of your assessment here. However, in fairness, the Heels actually ARE a pretty good defensive team. Pomeroy has them as #14 in the nation in defensive efficiency this year. They could probably be better, but that's still pretty good. Their bigger problem is that their offense just isn't very good.

wilko
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Would that "steak" be well done or medium rare?

Heh... I guess it was a Freudian Shrimp. I am HAWNGREE..
I've lost 70lbs since last June and it isn't easy.

But if you are offering to buy me a steak, just send a check, I'll take that instead. :o

-jk
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Let's continue this one here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23946-2010-2011-Problems-at-UNC).

-jk