PDA

View Full Version : St. Johns looking tough

DukeWarhead
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I know its a bit early to be talking about St. Johns, but what has been a "breather" game the last few seasons is shaping up to be a real road test, the way Lavin has the Red Storm playing. We'll see how they do in their next few games in Conference, but they seem to be just as good as other ACC competition. A good tournament-style test.
I still chafe at the memory of the Marcus Hatten comeback loss in MSG - one of the most annoying Duke losses in recent memory.

:eek:

4decadedukie
01-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree, and I have had very similar apprehensions during the last couple weeks. Further, the game is at MSG, which has been an "almost home court" for Duke on many occasions, but is an actual New York City home court for the Red Storm. Add to this my dislike of Lavin, and 30 January will certainly NOT be a mid-ACC-season off-game.

richardjackson199
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Agreed. St. John's will be coming into the game with us used to playing against tough competition. Check this string of 5 games - Notre Dame, Louisville, Cincy, Georgetown, & then Duke. We better come to play. I def want to see K shaking Lavin's hand after beating him.

rotogod00
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Lavin has certainly turned that program around in a hurry. Has them playing quite well and has a stellar recruiting class (9 in all; 6 in ESPN's top 100) coming in next year.

Olympic Fan
01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Lavin has certainly turned that program around in a hurry. Has them playing quite well and has a stellar recruiting class (9 in all; 6 in ESPN's top 100) coming in next year.

He's going to need the freshmen ... St. John's has eight seniors in their playing rotation this year (and 10 seniors on the roster). One freshman (Polee) and two sophs (Stith and Roberts) also see action. The onlt other players who play are seniors.

So a very veteran team when Duke visits ... but a massive rebounding job after this season.

Billy Dat
01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Good...I hope they give us all we can handle. My primary worry when we looked unbeatable was that we wouldn't be challenged enough to get better. What the early ACC season is showing is that we need all the challenges we can get. The more we get every team's best, the better we will get, even if it means some Ls. Bring it on.

cptnflash
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I know its a bit early to be talking about St. Johns, but what has been a "breather" game the last few seasons is shaping up to be a real road test, the way Lavin has the Red Storm playing. We'll see how they do in their next few games in Conference, but they seem to be just as good as other ACC competition. A good tournament-style test.
I still chafe at the memory of the Marcus Hatten comeback loss in MSG - one of the most annoying Duke losses in recent memory.

:eek:

I wouldn't be too worried. St. John's currently does not project as an NCAA tournament team. The road win against West Virginia is a good one, but they barely squeaked by a limited Georgetown team at home and have gotten blown out in their last two games against better competition. They are likely to be below .500 in the Big East by the time we play them.

That being said, we will be perceived as their ticket to the NCAA tournament, so they'll bring everything they have and the game will likely be closer than the talent differential would usually merit. Still, this isn't a game I'm particularly worried about. We'll have a size and skill advantage at all five positions most of the time.

gam7
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Good...I hope they give us all we can handle. My primary worry when we looked unbeatable was that we wouldn't be challenged enough to get better. What the early ACC season is showing is that we need all the challenges we can get. The more we get every team's best, the better we will get, even if it means some Ls. Bring it on.

Let's also not dismiss our other remaining non-conference game against Temple, which, as of now, is the only ranked opponent on our schedule. SJU and Temple both will pose stiff challenges.

NYC Duke Fan
01-17-2011, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't be too worried. St. John's currently does not project as an NCAA tournament team. The road win against West Virginia is a good one, but they barely squeaked by a limited Georgetown team at home and have gotten blown out in their last two games against better competition. They are likely to be below .500 in the Big East by the time we play them.

That being said, we will be perceived as their ticket to the NCAA tournament, so they'll bring everything they have and the game will likely be closer than the talent differential would usually merit. Still, this isn't a game I'm particularly worried about. We'll have a size and skill advantage at all five positions most of the time.

Sorry to disagree with you. They just beat Notre Dame 72-54 at MSG on Sunday, and Notre Dame was ranked 11 at the time. .

duke74
01-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry to disagree with you. They just beat Notre Dame 72-54 at MSG on Sunday, and Notre Dame was ranked 11 at the time. .

Agree. I'll be there on the 30th...hoping for the best. (I also adjunct at SJU, so we should have some fun in class before and after the game!)